• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

Falagard said:
Me too. On the Futureshop web site, it's showing that Forza 3 is in stock at my local store.

Same. I've setup an in-store order for the LE that says it releases today. Waiting to see what happens.

Mr.Green

So according to 911wheel.de, the Fanatec wheels start shipping and I should have my expensive toy 4 to 6 weeks from now. At least a month late after Forza 3.

That's fucking sad, pathetic and infuriating.

Falagard

DoctorWho said:
Same. I've setup an in-store order for the LE that says it releases today. Waiting to see what happens.

Shit. Yeah, you can't buy the regular version online and select "Pick up" for the option, only the LE version. I wasn't actually planning on buying the LE version, but if I can get it a couple days early I might. Hrm. Let us know what happens.... although FS's only open for another 4 hours here. Damn.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Futureshop.ca website now says Oct 27th and the Downtown Toronto (Yonge/Dundas) does not have it in stock.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
RSTEIN said:
Futureshop.ca website now says Oct 27th and the Downtown Toronto (Yonge/Dundas) does not have it in stock.

Bah, downtown is too far to drive to get the game anyways for me. I'll stick with my pre-order at my local EB and wait until Tuesday.

Falagard

RSTEIN said:

LCE still says 25th.

*edit*

I just called my local store, but was coy about the whole thing. I said that Forza 3 was released today, and asked if they had any LCE in stock. She checked the computer and then said "Yup, we have 11 of them". I was like "Okay, thanks!".

I didn't say... "Are you sure I can come pick one up today?" or anything.

Chrange

Banned
After playing with the controller for a while I finally broke down and bought the MS wireless wheel. I resisted until now, but I just had to do it finally.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Chrange said:
After playing with the controller for a while I finally broke down and bought the MS wireless wheel. I resisted until now, but I just had to do it finally.
Yep, playing with a controller felt wrong and my MadCats MC2 wheel was shit, so I had to do the same.

I am glad I did, the experience is just that much better with it, the game clicks so much more (especially sans assists) than it ever can with a controller. Now all I have to do is find the wireless receiver to use the thing on my PC too.

skyfinch

RSTEIN said:

Called Futureshop in Mississauga....not till Tuesday. They're playn' with my emotions, those cold hearted bastards.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Any explanation as of yet why certain cars were taken out of FM3 that were in FM2? Odd choices, but probably just to make room for FM3 cars. I'm looking at the ME412 in particular. Such an awesome car except for the tail lights.

enzo_gt said:
Any explanation as of yet why certain cars were taken out of FM3 that were in FM2? Odd choices, but probably just to make room for FM3 cars. I'm looking at the ME412 in particular. Such an awesome car except for the tail lights.
The ME was a car I never heard of before forza 2, and apart from the first few months of release no one ever used it as there was better U class cars.

It's annoying to race against the DBS (which is a VIP car) but not be able to buy it, even though I can see it (albeit locked).

It's hilarious watching the AI try to drive my car after I've finished a race. Because I've reduced the brake pressure to avoid locking up (the default sensitivity is way too high), the AI can't handle it. It just drives straight into walls. My car's a wreck!

Pepto

Banned
Mr.Green said:
So according to 911wheel.de, the Fanatec wheels start shipping and I should have my expensive toy 4 to 6 weeks from now. At least a month late after Forza 3.

That's fucking sad, pathetic and infuriating.
I'm getting Forza 3 with the wheel so I won't be playing the game for the first month if I don't buy a second copy...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I might have to pick this up as part of the Best Buy deal. It looks great, but I have almost zero experience with sim racers. When I played the demo, I couldn't resist trying to ram the other cars off the road, I think I've played too much Burnout. Are there weapon pickups in Forza like missiles or lasers or is it just straight racing?

Keikoku

Banned
Snuggler said:
I might have to pick this up as part of the Best Buy deal. It looks great, but I have almost zero experience with sim racers. When I played the demo, I couldn't resist trying to ram the other cars off the road, I think I've played too much Burnout. Are there weapon pickups in Forza like missiles or lasers or is it just straight racing?

Joke post ?

enzo_gt said:
The ME412 is only a concept car...I dont know if there are other "concept" only cars in the game, but I always thought it was strange to have a car in the game that is only an "idea"...

Snuggler said:
Sounds like you need to wait for Blur to come out from Bizarre Creations.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
AlanzTalon said:
The ME412 is only a concept car...I dont know if there are other "concept" only cars in the game, but I always thought it was strange to have a car in the game that is only an "idea"...
Well they took it out and added stuff like the Miura concept, which is weird on its own. And although you can classify "concept" cars as ideas, the ME Four-Twelve was a working prototype. Maybe the high speeds were theoretical, but then again the same goes for many production supercars unless the team actually went out and maxed them all, which I doubt.

I liken it to the GT team putting the half-finished Nissan GT-R prototype in their game. They can include all the kinks and stuff if they want too.

NeoGIF

forza01.JPG

forza02.JPG

forza03.JPG

11vmxr6.jpg

Haunted

Everything about this game is just so damn slick. Really polished, a huge step up from Forza 2 in pretty much every way, imo.

I love it.

knitoe

Those girls look like they got their eyes and nose job from the same place. Should have gone for 3 for 1. Boobs implant too.

Arucardo

I just ordered the MS wireless wheel too :lol , it's almost impossible to drive the R1 and R2 cars with a pad without any assists and ovals are not much fun with a gamepad. Got a really good deal on the wheel so I couldn't resist.

RSTEIN

Question: let's say I go to Futureshop Tues to get the LE but they're sold out and I walk away with the regular edition. Will there be an opportunity to buy into the VIP program with MS points in the future?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
RSTEIN said:
Question: let's say I go to Futureshop Tues to get the LE but they're sold out and I walk away with the regular edition. Will there be an opportunity to buy into the VIP program with MS points in the future?

Its unconfirmed, but most likelily yes, or else they would just call it a LCE membership instead of a VIP membership.

Also, questions for those with the game:
1) Can I play with guests online?
2) Can I play modes like tag and multi-class racing in splitscreen/local multiplayer?

It has been said many times before, but Forza 3 really could have used an AI difficulty level between hard and medium. Medium is just way too easy, and the top 3 cars of the hard AI are almost impossible to catch once they have a lead of a few seconds, which they usually get, since you always start at the back of the grid. This really makes the career mode less interesting to me than it could be.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
BrokenSymmetry said:
It has been said many times before, but Forza 3 really could have used an AI difficulty level between hard and medium. Medium is just way too easy, and the top 3 cars of the hard AI are almost impossible to catch once they have a lead of a few seconds, which they usually get, since you always start at the back of the grid. This really makes the career mode less interesting to me than it could be.

Cars don't start based off of PI anymore? Also:

2) Can I play modes like tag and multi-class racing in splitscreen/local multiplayer?

Falagard

skyfinch said:
Called Futureshop in Mississauga....not till Tuesday. They're playn' with my emotions, those cold hearted bastards.

I got Forza 3 LE tonight at Futureshop.

I called earlier and asked how many LE were in stock and the girl checked the computer and told me 11.

So I went into the store and asked an employee and said that Forza 3 LE was out today but that I couldn't find it on the shelf, and that I had called earlier and there was supposed to be 11 in stock. He went and checked the stock room and came back with a regular version of Forza 3 and was like "It has a sticker on it that says don't sell before the 27th - I'll try to ring it up at the register but the computer might not let me" and I said "Yeah, but the Limited Edition came out today - are there any of those?" so he grabbed on of those. We went to the cash register and the regular edition wouldn't ring up but the LE version did, so he sold it to me.

Sysgen

BrokenSymmetry said:

Don't have the game yet but was Forza 2 any better in this regard? You would think there would be a least 2 additional difficulty modes. Playing F2 last night racing Silverstone Grand Prix, on hard the lead AI car is running 1:49. On medium the lead AI is running 1:50 and change :lol On easy the lead AI car is running 2:01 or so. Terribly unbalanced and from what you say it seems that T10 has simply ignored an obvious need. So they neutered medium but apparently too much.

TofuEater

enzo_gt said:

1) no
2) not sure, only have been playing drag strip(which is gimped with AI) and normal racing in split screen

Falagard said:

I called earlier and asked how many LE were in stock and the girl checked the computer and told me 11.

So I went into the store and asked an employee and said that Forza 3 LE was out today but that I couldn't find it on the shelf, and that I had called earlier and there was supposed to be 11 in stock. He went and checked the stock room and came back with a regular version of Forza 3 and was like "It has a sticker on it that says don't sell before the 27th - I'll try to ring it up at the register but the computer might not let me" and I said "Yeah, but the Limited Edition came out today - are there any of those?" so he grabbed on of those. We went to the cash register and the regular edition wouldn't ring up but the LE version did, so he sold it to me.

God damn, I should have tried mine!!! They never filled my online order.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Loving the game.

Here's my impressions:

Cons:

I expected a bit more on the graphics' side, cars are king but the non-racing tracks (Amalfi, Portofino, NY, Valley...) aren't on par with the rest.
But don't get me wrong, besides the disappointing tracks overview you get at the beginning of each race, when you're actually racing then everything looks much better as it's supposed to, and I honeslt care much more that the textures look best there, even if that means replays suffer a bit because of that.

My other gripe is with the replays.
If you want to get a sleek replay a la GT forget then, if you do it yourself sure, you'll be able to achieve something really cool, but the basic RP camera movement isn't special at all, and what's disappointing the most is that when you're looking at your car drove by the AI, when the race's finished, the camera work is MUCH better.

Controls:
Tried the game with the wheel as well and I'm going to buy it tomorrow, but why the fuck can't I have gas/brake on the triggers AND the gearshift on the right analog stick goddamnit!?
Was it that hard, really, since I can have both things just not together in the same control scheme? I guess Turn10 must've never played a Gran Turismo game :/

Last one:
If you disable the rearview mirror (which doesn't actually disappear) the view gets pushed a tinybit further towards the windscreen... that's lovely, I just think that with 5% more of that and you'd get the *perfect* cockpit view ever, with allowing a visibility that's unknown in every other racing game I've tried before. Nontheless, Forza 3 is probably the first game where I can actually have fun in cockpit view even now that I don't know the inside-out of the tracks, thus it's more realistic then its peers (ever drove a car? It's not like you can't see shit like the 99% of the games out there, right?!).

PROS:

So why I love the game if all I've done yet is just complaining?
Because, in the end, even if I'd like to have the perfect game, those are relatively minor things.

The handling is absolute perfection, you feel the car completely in your hands, with such responsiviness that allows you to recover real time your driving errors if you act timely, exactly like driving a real car. That should be the first thing in a racing game, but it's not easy at all to get it right, and I was floored at how much Turn10 got that right, also striking an unmatched balance between FUN and simulation.
The sense of the speed is incredible and they managed to give every car such character: driving a Fiat 500 Abarth or a McLaren are both engaging, despite the difference in performance, in totally different and yet satisfying ways: I am never just yerning for the next faster car, and that gives a real meaning to the game's sporting this many cars, going beyond that of just cars' lovers and/or photo-mode obsessed users.
Without having dipped that much into customizaztion and tuning modes I can just say that it could even be overwhelming for some of us, but then the tuning/upgrading "assists" seems to be very well implemented.

The racing assists are so well implemented that I was able to have a fun head to head race with my brothers even tho it was the first time playing the game for him, break line-only assist works wonders as well.

The sp career mode gives you a real sense of progressing and gettin' better as races go by, and the AI's character meant that I'm having fun and cringin' my teeth cutting that last corner before the final lane, with that damn BMW X5 seeking revenge of when I bumped into him before.

Can't wait to get my wheel now, damn I wish I had the dough for a Fanatec ;)

p.s.
Didn't spellcheck, have mercy.

RSTEIN

Falagard said:

F

U

Damn! What is up with all the excellent OP's lately absolutely wonderful job man. Even though I have never been into any of the driving simulator's my brother is promising me I might like this one so I am definitely picking it up.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
BruceLeeRoy said:
Damn! What is up with all the excellent OP's lately absolutely wonderful job man. Even though I have never been into any of the driving simulator's my brother is promising me I might like this one so I am definitely picking it up.

*clicks tag* Oh my lord your the one who did that... :bow:

TofuEater said:
1) no
2) not sure, only have been playing drag strip(which is gimped with AI) and normal racing in split screen

Thanks. Damn, having guests that are able to play online should be standard.

FrankT

I've been out of town and I just had a chance to checkout the Gamespot and Edge reviews. Impressive all around.

Anyhow, did I hear this right is Forza 3 having a midnight launch tomorrow? My wife said Ashley called for something coming tomorrow (she believes), and the only game I have down for Tuesday is Forza.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
So, I pre-ordered Forza 3 in full today. The guy asked me if I wanted to pre-order the limited edition, and I said nahhh I don't feel like spending the extra money. I've been thinking about it all day and I think I wanna get the limited edition now. That 2 gig Flash drive would actually come in handy but really I want all of those exclusive cars. So, would Gamestop let me change my pre-order to the limited edition over the PHONE? I don't have a way to get there tomorrow so it would have to be done that way. I'm not sure that they would let me get the Limited Edition on day 1 either. Also, Limited edition is 79.99 right??

Naughtboy

Banned
I feel a little like an ass because about a year ago, the MS wheel was on clearance at Target for something like $50 i think. But i had heard that it had no clutch etc and i didn't have anywhere to put it, i decided to pass on it. And now with the release of F3 and everyone talking about how great using a wheel is, i want to use one now

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Stop It said:
Well, I have finally succumbed to buying a proper 360 racing wheel, as the MadCatz MC2 wheel is dire in Forza 3. I was thinking of getting a fanatec, but their cost (and the fact that they appear not to exist in the UK yet) made me go for the Official Wireless Wheel.
There's a Great Britain section on their webshop.

Top Bottom