• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

Wow. I ordered Forza from Buy.com for 51 bucks with their budget shipping a few weeks ago. They warned that it would take 3-5 days to process but I was fine with that. After the order was completed I realized it was another 3-5 for using the budget shipping, as it would already take 3 days to ship. I was pretty pissed...

...BUT. Just got an email saying it's already shipped and I will get it the 28th :D. Not bad for paying $50 with no shipping. They seem to ship through USPS so anything you order thats around game box size/weight should get to you in two days. YMMV but I will definitely be ordering from them in the future. Just a heads up for rest of the GAFers, especially when it seems like Amazon isn't even fulfilling their promise on release date delivery...

EDIT: By the way if anyone makes a Packers livery (NFL football team...see my icon for their logo) or at least a copy of their logo I will pay massive sums of money. No joke. It'll be the easiest money you can make on Forza, as their logos are very basic and I will pay essentially whatever you price it at. Just another heads up for anyone looking to make some quick bucks.

packers.jpg
(without the '.com')

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Went over by some friends last night that bought the game on Saturday - he's got a huge Samsung screen so we got to play Forza 3 in its full glory, and all I can say to the haters is, f'em really, because the game is absolutely stunning to see in motion, and handles like a dream too...

I haven't bought it myself yet since I dropped a lot of cash on other things this month, but driving a tuned up Ford Focus RS and winning some championships (there were some real nice battles with the AI some times, loved that) with it being one of my favorite cars out there was grand...

And kudos to whoever's idea it was to have the menus not get hampered with loading by having the whole car loaded on every screen - aside from how slick the menus are, there are quick as hell too, and seeing as I HATE HATE HATE slow loading menus in games, Turn 10 gets two thumbs up for that aside from the gameplay and graphics...

Good show Turn 10, and good to see that aside from my own short review, the rest of the gaming press thinks it's brilliant as well!

Game is fucking awesome.

It also gives out achievements like a cheap whore. I've been play 30 minutes and I already have 10. :lol I'm sure it will slow down as the game progresses though.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Falagard said:
forza3rstein.jpg

I had my camera and game next to me when I read your post...

You are a F&%%$%$U*ER
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

i can't wait to race... victory will be defined as the total and utter destruction of your car.

I love this game but man they screwed up online with no filters. I am not a fan of the R1, R2, R3 races but whenever I look for a road race this is all I find.

I wanna drive in class A-D cars. Also I am playing with the A.I on hard and sometimes it feels like the CPU is cheating. I find it tough getting into the top 2.

How is everyone else finding hard difficulty.

Only gripe so far is that the cockpit view is too cramped. Tempted to fix this in multiscreen. Can anyone recommend a good field of view?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
kobashi100 said:
I love this game but man they screwed up online with no filters. I am not a fan of the R1, R2, R3 races but whenever I look for a road race this is all I find.

I wanna drive in class A-D cars. Also I am playing with the A.I on hard and sometimes it feels like the CPU is cheating. I find it tough getting into the top 2.

We'll be updating the playlist pretty much constantly.

Just waiting for the game to launch first in the U.S. and watch some metrics.

Dommel

chespace said:
We'll be updating the playlist pretty much constantly.

Just waiting for the game to launch first in the U.S. and watch some metrics.

Great game but why wait for the US players to tell you multiplayer implementation could "use some work" to put it politely.

Falagard

Nihilistic Monk said:
... they've really hit the nail on the head with 3, as someone who likes to race, but only ever managed to destroy cars by upgrading them in Forza 2, the quick upgrade feature is a life saver....

Now excuse me, I have more old obscure cars to buy :lol

Agreed. The graphics have improved, and the handling has improved, and there are more tracks... but in my opinion the game is better mostly because of the better career progression, the auto upgrade system, and the ability to buy tuning setups from people who know how to tune.

I still suck at online - if I'm in a race with 8 players, I'll come in 7th or 8th, with an occasional 6th, but at least with the tuning setups coming from people who know what they're doing I may have chance. And besides, I have a blast racing against real people.

I personally have no problem with the new matchmaking, assuming they add some lower class circuit racing (B, C, D etc.) I hated the old matchmaking in Forza 2 - I'd spend more time looking for a race than I would racing.

Great game.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Dommel said:
Great game but why wait for the US players to tell you multiplayer implementation could "use some work" to put it politely.

Because we want to see the total picture and not just half the regions?

Kordos

ShapeGSX said:
jube, I'd buy a Massachusetts plate! :D

ma_license_plate.jpg

As a Mass resident, I was trying to decipher some sort of gaming-reference out of this ("I forsee... something")... then I realized you probably were just providing a random sample to jube.

:eek:

ShapeGSX

Kordos said:
As a Mass resident, I was trying to decipher some sort of gaming-reference out of this ("I forsee... something")... then I realized you probably were just providing a random sample to jube.

Yeah, just the first one I found. :)

I'd be happy with "4G63". ;)

Jube3

Yea slayer they are ingame, I put a drop shadow on them too to try to make it more 3d and less like a sticker.

Im a mass resident as well and have the mass plates done just not on my storefront. Dunno how much license plates I want to put up there lol.

Jube3 said:
Yea slayer they are ingame, I put a drop shadow on them too to try to make it more 3d and less like a sticker.

Im a mass resident as well and have the mass plates done just not on my storefront. Dunno how much license plates I want to put up there lol.
How many spaces for selling stuff on the store front do you get?

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
This game has changed my mind about the next car I will be buying. I was going to buy a Lotus Elise as my next car but instead now I shall be buying a M3 E30. :D

kobashi100 said:

Perfectly fine.

I am also sad there is no Cat and Mouse filter. :(

Iknos

So my 360 just died.

ON FORZA EVE!

It's not really dead it just freezed up 2-5 minutes after playing any game. Get the whole checkerboard thing. But no error message.

This last week it froze up once every 4 hours of gaming so I knew it was on it's last legs. But I was hoping to at least play Forza 3 in 2-3 hour sessions.

I got the protection plan at Futureshop and since I'm not getting any error messages I can see if I can get a new 360. Unfortunately that process takes just as long as a repair.

;_;

Iknos said:
So my 360 just died.

ON FORZA EVE!

It's not really dead it just freezed up 2-5 minutes after playing any game. Get the whole checkerboard thing. But no error message.

This last week it froze up once every 4 hours of gaming so I knew it was on it's last legs. But I was hoping to at least play Forza 3 in 2-3 hour sessions.

I got the protection plan at Futureshop and since I'm not getting any error messages I can see if I can get a new 360. Unfortunately that process takes just as long as a repair.

;_;

t9i7hy.jpg
<-- D:

That is a GPU problem right? I know the towl trick doesn't do anything for it but at least give it a slow roast and see if it helps any, you may get another week's worth of playing or something.

So to the people that have it, to install or not to install (to HD)?

I installed Forza 2 to the HD and saw some minor improvements, has anybody tried installing Forza 3 yet?

Cheeto

So what are the chances of me walking into a gamestop tomorrow and picking this up? I normally don't shop there so obviously I didn't pre-order...but I have a gift-card I need to use.

DarkJC

Diablohead said:
t9i7hy.jpg
<-- D:

That is a GPU problem right? I know the towl trick doesn't do anything for it but at least give it a slow roast and see if it helps any, you may get another week's worth of playing or something.

:lol

But I feel for you Iknos :(

comrade

Cheeto said:
So what are the chances of me walking into a gamestop tomorrow and picking this up? I normally don't shop there so obviously I didn't pre-order...but I have a gift-card I need to use.
You should be able to just walk in and get it. I've gotten bigger games on launch without a preorder. They ask if you pre-ordered and sigh when you say no but they almost always have extra copies.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Amazon.com items (Sold by Amazon.com, LLC):

1 Forza Motorsport 3 $54.99 1 $54.99

Shipped via UPS

Tracking number: 1Z410E7W1392678063

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Item Subtotal: $54.99
Shipping and handling: $0.00

Pre-order Guarantee: $0.00

Promotion Applied: $-5.50

Promotion Applied: $-1.46

Promotion Applied: $-0.73

Promotion Applied: $0.00

Total: $34.84

Paid by Visa: $2.84

Paid by Gift Certificate: $32.00

amazon shipped my order, tmr super phun time begins, cant wait

KHarvey16

Iknos said:
So my 360 just died.

ON FORZA EVE!

;_;

I had the same thing except it would freeze a few seconds after boot up, and after freezing I'd get the dreaded three rings about 50% of the time. I'm past even the three year warranty so I went ahead and fixed it myself with a few M5 bolts and a little arctic silver. I finished about an hour ago and did a time trial lap around Maple Valley. So far so good, but time will tell.

If you don't mind voiding the warranty it sounds like you've just got a GPU cooling issue which seems like a pretty easy fix(knock on wood).

Edit

Ooooooo just got my LCE code from gamestop!

Spasm

Jonsoncao said:
Amazon.com items (Sold by Amazon.com, LLC):

1 Forza Motorsport 3 $54.99 1 $54.99

Shipped via UPS

Tracking number: 1Z410E7W1392678063

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Item Subtotal: $54.99
Shipping and handling: $0.00

Pre-order Guarantee: $0.00

Promotion Applied: $-0.73

Total: $34.84

Paid by Visa: $2.84

Paid by Gift Certificate: $32.00

amazon shipped my order, tmr super phun time begins, cant wait
Costanza!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
FOR ANYBODY THAT PREORDERED AT GAMESTOP

There were multiple stores in my district that were short on copies of the Limited Edition. At our store, we had 13 preorders on the LE but only 8 copies. We also had yet to receive our preorder codes for the exclusive Audi car, although they showed up in our incoming shipment for tomorrow.

This may be a regional problem, but I think you guys should call early tomorrow and ask if they have enough LE's to meet preorders and/or if they have the preorder codes available.

ZealousD said:

There were multiple stores in my district that were short on copies of the Limited Edition. At our store, we had 13 preorders on the LE but only 8 copies. We also had yet to receive our preorder codes for the exclusive Audi car, although they showed up in our incoming shipment for tomorrow.

This may be a regional problem, but I think you guys should call early tomorrow and ask if they have enough LE's to meet preorders and/or if they have the preorder codes available.

That doesn't sound good.

Where are you located?

ZealousD said:

What region is regional?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ugh, couldn't make it to Gamestop today so now I gotta go as soon as it opens to have a "75% chance" to secure a limited edition. *crosses fingers*

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
My copy is currently en route from Maryland. If nothing goes wrong and I get it tomorrow, Amazon's release date shipping is the new hotness.

Iknos

Diablohead said:

KHarvey16 said:
If you don't mind voiding the warranty it sounds like you've just got a GPU cooling issue which seems like a pretty easy fix(knock on wood).

I have Futureshop's own coverage and I don't want to void that. And I'm not sure if I want to do the towel trick because I think it would force an error message and if that is the case I have to get it fixed by MS.

With this current freezing scenario I can get the 360 replaced with a new one. I'd rather have that than have it repaired and fail on me again. The problem with this is that it takes a while for FS to ship and receive my 360 and then determine what I'm saying is happening and then deciding to get me a new one.

So guys, I am in a quandary. I am trying to decide which game to get NOW and wait for the other two later. Yes, I realize this is a Forza thread so the responses may be somewhat skewed however I am still curious. Between Forza 3, Uncharted 2, and Demon's Souls which has the most playability. Forza 3 looks absolutely FANTASTIC but so do the other two. What say ye?

AMUSIX

Jube3 said:
posted this with the JSR car in the livery thread but figure I post it here since its not a livery. I have no idea what the japanese says lol, I found it on google.

License cars on my storefront. You can replace the name by putting a square over the text.
licenseplates.jpg
Out of curiosity, why did you make the california letters (the TURN 10) so small?

Some people got beef wit GAF. The official forums don't seem to like how certain official community managers don't respond to them on their own boards, but are to quick to respond on GAF. The topic is concerning whether or not ranked matches will be customizable.

Edit: Gah I just checked the date I hope this isn't old.

you are in a Forza thread, what kind answer are you honestly expecting? Leaning in forza's general but need more of push? Are you a big racing sim fan? How long/much time are you looking to invest? Would you like to see some review scores? Can I pick one and you not only buy it, but send to me and when I'm content with my experiences I'll trade said game in for cash and buy you a thank you hallmark card?

AMUSIX

LovingSteam said:
So guys, I am in a quandary. I am trying to decide which game to get NOW and wait for the other two later. Yes, I realize this is a Forza thread so the responses may be somewhat skewed however I am still curious. Between Forza 3, Uncharted 2, and Demon's Souls which has the most playability. Forza 3 looks absolutely FANTASTIC but so do the other two. What say ye?
In terms of bang for your buck, I'd say Forza 3 has it. However, I'd almost suggest getting Uncharted 2 first, as you would play through that in the coming week, and then be up for another game...whereas Forza might keep you held a bt too long and you might pass up Uncharted.

DarkJC

kiun said:
What are you talking about ? Preorder bonus cars ?

If you have an XBL gold sub and preordered Forza 3 anywhere you were able to email your receipt and gamertag to a certain email address and when the game launches you'll find 3 gift cars waiting for you.

Iknos

AMUSIX said:
In terms of bang for your buck, I'd say Forza 3 has it. However, I'd almost suggest getting Uncharted 2 first, as you would play through that in the coming week, and then be up for another game...whereas Forza might keep you held a bt too long and you might pass up Uncharted.

This is why I'm simply renting Uncharted 2 and then picking it up when it's on Greatest Hits later. If the multiplayer can grab me then I'll consider buying it if I see myself spending a lot of time on it. LovingSteam if you don't have Live Gold then I'd go with DS. The single player of UC2 and FM3 could be excellent experiences but MP is what gives these games legs.

I was checking out the Top Gear site and they had an interesting news item...

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/bugatti-touring-car-2009-10-20

Remember that Mercedes SLS ‘Black' we showed you the other week? It was a rendering by Dutch designer-chap Sytse Dijkstra that turned Merc's gullwinged supercar into a LM-style race car.

Well, we liked it. So much that we decided to step it up a notch. What, we wondered, is the most ridiculous fantasy racer we could imagine? A Bugatti Galibier. On 23s and ready for the grid at Le Mans.

So they render a Veyron ready for Le Mans. They suggest commenters to come up with their own crazy ideas.

When I was reading through the list I was thinking: "Hey Forza 3 could do that" on some of them.

Someone with the game should come up with crazy ideas and then actually show them off with pics.

Someone should mod a Veyron and paint it up. Get it on La Sarthe and take a pic.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Local Gamestop had only 3 LE's in stock, all were accounted for at midnight. Plenty of pre-order code cards though. Only a single Tekken 6 sold as well as a DJ hero Renegade edition otherwise(from what I noticed). Store manager said DJ Hero only had 2 pre-orders total.

Took nearly an hour to install both discs and download the content from all three DLC cards included(well two in LE package + Gamestop exclusive car).

I hope the loadtimes are improved after installing disc 1. I tried the first few events with a Honda Fit and the loading felt longer than the actual race lasted without installing! I thought NFS: Shift had shitty loading.

Awesome game so far, the 60fps makes a vast difference after spending all week playing PGR4 and Shift. Visually this game just decimates Forza 2 as well which I spent some time with recently as well. Nice to also see some customized wheel button configs, wish I could edit them myself, but it's nifty to have more options for the paddles than just shifting gears.

Top Bottom