• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
SmokyDave said:
Having had some hands-on time with the game now I have completely changed my opinion on the rewind feature. I really don't like it. It removes all the risk from racing. Although I personally don't use it, I was watching my friend playing and the feature really isn't helping him in the way I thought it would. It isn't improving his cornering, it's just stopping him worrying about fucking up because he has an 'Undo fuck-up' button.

Although I'm sure the feature is fine in theory, and would make a good aid to perfecting lap times, the implementation as I have seen it used is not something I'd want in other racing games. Going back to playing NFS: Shift after playing Forza, it felt like the stakes had gone through the roof and every race was a knuckle-biting hair-raising nerve-fraying experience.

Still, Forza 3 has the most rewarding driving model I've ever experienced and the level of customisation is insane. It really is a spectacular game and a fully featured package for car lovers. I just wish I could disable the rewind feature.

I couldn't play without the rewind, I'm trying to get use to driving with a wheel, and without rewind I would probably just get frustrated.

rjcc

SmokyDave said:
Still, Forza 3 has the most rewarding driving model I've ever experienced and the level of customisation is insane. It really is a spectacular game and a fully featured package for car lovers. I just wish I could disable the rewind feature.

You want to control the way your friend plays his own game and how everyone else plays their game because you don't like it? You might have something to work on beyond the game.

Vormund

I'm surprised that Rewind doesn't come under selectable "Assists" before you start a race.

TBH I'd prefer it that way, It removes the temptation before hand.:D

SmokyDave

rjcc said:
You want to control the way your friend plays his own game and how everyone else plays their game because you don't like it? You might have something to work on beyond the game.

Oh don't get so pissy. I mentioned it because at first I was vocally excited about the feature, I've now tried it and I don't like it. The reason I mention my friend is because he was exactly the sort of player I thought this would help, but it doesn't.

If my opinion of a feature in a video game gets your knickers in a not like this you might have something to work on beyond a discussion forum.

Vormund said:
I'm surprised that Rewind doesn't come under selectable "Assists" before you start a race.

This is exactly what I'd like. A way to set up the game so that pressing 'back' on the pad doesn't do anything.

rjcc

SmokyDave said:
Oh don't get so pissy. I mentioned it because at first I was vocally excited about the feature, I've now tried it and I don't like it. The reason I mention my friend is because he was exactly the sort of player I thought this would help, but it doesn't.

If my opinion of a feature in a video game gets your knickers in a not like this you might have something to work on beyond a discussion forum.

having an opinion is one thing, wanting to disable something that doesn't affect your personal game at all is an entirely different thing.

AMUSIX

Leonsito said:
Yeah, but WTCC is a complete mess these days. Hell, everything leading up to the safety car crash just shows the lack of inspections and regulations. It's just a step away from a destruction derby series.

I will say, these aggressive/questionable finishes in major ALMS GT2 races seem to hover around Forza releases. This time, it was that Laguna Seca incident...and Forza 2 got this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOqYGVTaEAk

Hoping for an acknowledgement of the static / popping sound that a lot of people are experiencing. Not game breaking but very off-putting.
Nothing to do with backfiring or bottoming out. Lots of different system setups that have this problem, running from HDD or not.

DarkJC

rjcc said:
having an opinion is one thing, wanting to disable something that doesn't affect your personal game at all is an entirely different thing.

I don't get where you're coming from here. You realize he's not asking for the removal of rewind right? He just wants to disable it under the assists or something in his own races. How is this affecting anyone else's experience at all?

SmokyDave

rjcc said:

Dude, I don't want the code retro-actively removed from every copy of Forza 3. I want the option to turn rewind off / disable rewind.

I know, I get it. Before you even say it. 'Don't press the button'.

Fantasmo said:
Hoping for an acknowledgement of the static / popping sound that a lot of people are experiencing. Not game breaking but very off-putting.
Nothing to do with backfiring or bottoming out. Lots of different system setups that have this problem, running from HDD or not.
The only time I heard this was when I was creating a video.

Shitting fuck sake, postman comes with no game again, and if it's not here tomorrow then it will be ANOTHER WEEK because of thurs-fri-saturday strikes!

I decided to go find the LE in a game or gamestation, trade in a bunch of games (some of which I am still playing or worth peanuts) to make up the £50 I need to put towards a LE, I am not buying the regular because I then have the trouble of recieving my cheap LE in the post and owning two copies of the game, at least if I buy a LE now I can keep the vip status and send back the other copy for money back.

I am so fucking pissed off, one of the biggest games I want to own this year and I get fucked over while others in the UK receive their game on time from the same place, fuck royal mail and their managers being tight arses.

Looks like I need to trade in Fable II GOTY, RE5, Turok steel tin, Burnout TUB :( most of these will only get me a few quid too.

rjcc

DarkJC said:
I don't get where you're coming from here. You realize he's not asking for the removal of rewind right? He just wants to disable it under the assists or something in his own races. How is this affecting anyone else's experience at all?

why would you need to disable something that isn't at all required to be used. particularly, why would you want to disable something for your own game, based on how someone else uses it in thier game? your interpretation makes as little sense as his original post.

Until there's a race in forza where you suddenly have to use rewind to play it, then there's no reason for it to be "disabled." The only sensible argument is wanting an extra 5% bonus credits or something for flicking it to off, and even that's not worth posting over. there's plenty of other options you can use to be more difficult on yourself that don't add to your score at all.

LCfiner

I think the option to remove the HUD reminder for rewind is key. when playing the demo, I would see that rewind thing pop up after taking a corner poorly and it was a little distracting.

Hey, video game: stop reminding me how bad I'm driving :lol

I like that the option is there, but I fully intend to remove the HUD reminder so that I'm not always thinking about it when racing.

DoctorWho said:
The only time I heard this was when I was creating a video.

It seems that people get it randomly. I can drive the same track 100 times and not have the popping, as I refer to it, in the same place. People have heard it in the title music, I will have it mostly during races. I thought it might have been caused by a lot of cars being in the same proximity and overloading my TV speakers but I do hear it when just racing 1 on 1.

DarkJC

rjcc said:
why would you need to disable something that isn't at all required to be used. particularly, why would you want to disable something for your own game, based on how someone else uses it in thier game? your interpretation makes as little sense as his original post.

Until there's a race in forza where you suddenly have to use rewind to play it, then there's no reason for it to be "disabled." The only sensible argument is wanting an extra 5% bonus credits or something for flicking it to off, and even that's not worth posting over. there's plenty of other options you can use to be more difficult on yourself that don't add to your score at all.

Jesus christ, is it really that hard to understand? My interpretation? You mean, reading the words he wrote instead of inferring some weird meaning about ruining everyone else's game? He wants the option to disable the ability to hit back to rewind in a race. It's not hard to understand why someone would want this feature. It doesn't affect anyone else. I don't even know why I'm bothering to reply to you anymore, it's obvious you don't get it.

Arjen

Yeah the pop-up of rewind is definitly annoying.
Another thing that bugs me is that your laptime is set to unvalid so damn fast.
It seems that at times if you hit the curbs at all the damn popup shows, and you'll be like Shit my lap time is invalid, oh no problem i'll just press the button to rewi..DAMNIT!

blanky

AMUSIX said:
indisputable real-world argument in favor of rewind

if you haven't, watch the whole thing

that was epic! I love ALMS/LMS sogood.gif

Hope they get the Vette C6 GT2 in there quick.

Some things have been bugging me though, like paint bugs. I'm doing this NSX GT and there are spots that cant be painted at all, on front bumper and the windshield banner. And the section above the taillight gets stretched beyond proportion which bombs any way to make a precise finish there. Same thing goes on with the "back windshield" It's really frustrating because I hate seeing little off things like that on my livery. And the lighting and camera in the paintbooth can be frustrating too. Still it's better than FM2, gotta leave something for improvement I suppose.

Also matchmaking is only half if not less the problem, I tried a few races and they're all dive bombers there and I dont like racing with ghosts. Wish I knew a better way to get some proper races on though.

SmokyDave said:
I know, I'm talking human vs AI races.

I also noticed in his rear view mirror that the AI would occasionally 'give up' after he used rewind, they seemed to just stop driving when he resumed his race.

It doesn't really matter but the fact you cannot turn rewind off means he will never learn the discipline to race without it. I worry that other racing games will now seem unfairly difficult to people and the rewind feature will become a trend.

Psychologically speaking, you will always have a 'get out of jail free' button on the pad.

I have to disagree, I got so frustrated with Shift that I have to stop playing it. The damm AI keep running you off the road, or when you just want to learn the new course but the physic just wack out (especially when you upgrade to tier 3 or 4 cars or do some tuning). I also don't feel that it take any more excitement out of racing, either way if you mess up you either hit restart or hit rewind, I rather do rewind than restart after 3 laps in.

If there was a rewind feature in Shift, I probably would play it more actually...

sneaky77

SmokyDave said:
Having had some hands-on time with the game now I have completely changed my opinion on the rewind feature. I really don't like it. It removes all the risk from racing. Although I personally don't use it, I was watching my friend playing and the feature really isn't helping him in the way I thought it would. It isn't improving his cornering, it's just stopping him worrying about fucking up because he has an 'Undo fuck-up' button..

but if he doesnt eventually take the corner right he will just constantly rewind the same spot over and over and never finish the race...

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
i feel sorry for all the poeple moaning about the matchmaking

about 5 for my real life friends have this game

Private matches are the way forward

to drifting down that mountan track

to a casual race

we have a good time

10 hours we spend on it yesterday

, also i join matchmaking drift matches just fine

Lucius86

Banned
Vormund said:

Yep, it should definitey be an Assist you can turn off completely.

SmokyDave

antiquegamer said:
I have to disagree, I got so frustrated with Shift that I have to stop playing it. The damm AI keep running you off the road, you just want to learn the new course but the physic just wack out (especially when you upgrade to tier 3 or 4 cars. I also don't feel that it take any more excitement out of racing, either way if you mess up you either hit restart or hit rewind, I rather do rewind than restart after 3 laps in.

If there was a rewind feature in Shift, I probably would play it more actually...

Don't get me wrong, Shift is the inferior game by quite some way. I just found it interesting that although I'd put it down through boredom, it felt fucking crazy when I went back to it after playing Forza. The aggressive AI + no rewind made the racing crazy tense.

Interesting that no-one else has any comment on rewind borking the AI. I noticed it 4 or 5 times in a two hour session so it can't be that rare.

Arjen

SmokyDave said:
Interesting that no-one else has any comment on rewind borking the AI. I noticed it 4 or 5 times in a two hour session so it can't be that rare.

I've seen it to a couple of times where the AI would totally miss the corner after 2 or 3 rewinds.

Brakara

SmokyDave said:
Although I'm sure the feature is fine in theory, and would make a good aid to perfecting lap times, the implementation as I have seen it used is not something I'd want in other racing games.

For me it's the opposite. I don't think I could go back to another racing game that didn't have the rewind feature.

Game and Gamestation both have the Forza 3 regular edition for £35, since they have it at that price compared to £55 LE I think that I will just settle with a regular, and either return the blockbuster LE or sell off the regular edition (if I can make most of my money back) at a later date.

dk_

Leonsito said:
The second commentator sounds like
kermit.jpg

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Damn 5 very long, very hard days at work so no FM3 for me :( getting back into it tonight!

M0dus, the Chun-li artwork is amazing! I'll send you a car to stick it on tonight. I'm pretty sure I added you a few days ago on XBL.

rjcc

any instructions on what format to convert the video to so you can upload in HD to youtube? windows live moviemaker works quickly, but it only yields a HQ video.

ah - nvm, selecting widescreen aspect ratio and exporting as 720p in moviemaker then uploading to youtube separately seems to work. wish I could configure it to directly up to YT in HD all in one step though. just gotta wiat for this video to finish processing to see if it worked.

edit - success - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNxLophoIDk . quality still leaves much to be desired, but there it is.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
FUCK! I went to pick up my Forza 3 (normal edition) which I had paid in full and asked if they had any Limited Editions extra. I was unable to go in yesterday, when I made the decision, to change the pre-order to the limited edition. You're not able to do it over the phone. I went just now and waited for the store to open in hopes of getting the first extra but they had none. In fact, I was told that they weren't sent enough Limited Editions. I'm still really pleased and pumped to play the game but I was really really hoping to get that exclusive car pack.

See you guys online!

Keikoku

Banned
So, how do I do to delete my photos on the FM.net website ? I can't do anything on the "my forza" section, i'm being redirected to a page with a list of upcoming features for the website...

DaFish

Keikoku said:
So, how do I do to delete my photos on the FM.net website ? I can't do anything on the "my forza" section, i'm being redirected to a page with a list of upcoming features for the website...

I'm gonna assume its like FM2 and they just get over written with new photos you take...

Brakara

rjcc said:
any instructions on what format to convert the video to so you can upload in HD to youtube? windows live moviemaker works quickly, but it only yields a HQ video.

ah - nvm, selecting widescreen aspect ratio and exporting as 720p in moviemaker then uploading to youtube separately seems to work. wish I could configure it to directly up to YT in HD all in one step though. just gotta wiat for this video to finish processing to see if it worked.

edit - success - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNxLophoIDk . quality still leaves much to be desired, but there it is.

For others who don't have moviemaker:

http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/thread/3123049.aspx

SmokyDave said:
Dude, I don't want the code retro-actively removed from every copy of Forza 3. I want the option to turn rewind off / disable rewind.

I know, I get it. Before you even say it. 'Don't press the button'.
how's about this then. e-mail someone you trust an embarrassing picture of yourself. then, if you ever post a time using rewind (which they could see from the leader boards) then that friend of yours can post said embarrassing picture here.

that should keep you honest.

XShagrath

So I just got back from GameStop with the LE that I pre-ordered. They said they didn't have the code for the pre-order Audi, but would get it in the shipment today. Is this feasible or did they already give all their codes away and are bullshitting me? They said to call in later today and he'd read me the code. I'm wondering if I should even open the game, in case they don't give me the code.

SmokyDave

plagiarize said:
how's about this then. e-mail someone you trust an embarrassing picture of yourself. then, if you ever post a time using rewind (which they could see from the leader boards) then that friend of yours can post said embarrassing picture here.

that should keep you honest.

It's not me that I'm worried about. It's people relying on the rewind feature and then not buying racing games without rewind which would then lead to every racing game having rewind.

I can't really explain why that would be a problem to me, but it would.

Edit: Did someone just call the '64 250 GTO ugly?

Hold me back, I'm gonna 'ave 'im!

XShagrath

XShagrath said:
So I just got back from GameStop with the LE that I pre-ordered. They said they didn't have the code for the pre-order Audi, but would get it in the shipment today. Is this feasible or did they already give all their codes away and are bullshitting me? They said to call in later today and he'd read me the code. I'm wondering if I should even open the game, in case they don't give me the code.

False alarm! I called another GameStop that I used to frequent before I moved and they're showing them on the shipment for today as well. I'll call them up and get my code later today. Woot!

rjcc said:

Those are some silent cars :lol

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Keikoku said:

Remove the photos from your storefront. The MY Forza section is simply a reflection of your storefront photos. But yeah, new web features are coming. :D

And yes, the auto-update is now live.

Jube3

chespace said:
Remove the photos from your storefront. The MY Forza section is simply a reflection of your storefront photos. But yeah, new web features are coming. :D

Im guessing something to do when clicking the photos? Maybe a lightbox type thing? Cant wait :D

h3ro

chespace said:

And yes, the auto-update is now live.

Che, what's up with the theme for the LE?

Sorry if you've posted this before, I just got home with it and am installing Disc 2 now! So hyped to get started... :D

Top Bottom