• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

SmokyDave

sneaky77 said:
I am not "attacking" I think you have the right to your opinion, I have no issues with your opinion either.

Sorry chap, poor choice of words on my part. I know you weren't attacking, I was just being overly defensive.

As for DLC tracks, more fantasy locations in the vein of the hanger please! Wide open airfields and inappropriately huge jumps. Maybe a sand pit or a skid pan.

h3ro

264gvtx.jpg

My first ever creation! Just put it up on the Storefront and got my first buyer. This Paint thing is so addictive! :D

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
saladine1 said:
Che, has the reverse damping settings issue been dealt with yet?
It's getting very annoying.

Yes, it just got dealt with today with the patch that you received.

Been playing the game for about an hour now. Definitely a step up from Forza 2 so congrats Che :D

Looks like i'll be spending alot of time with this game. Might aswell put all my other games in a back catalog :lol

bj00rn_

Banned
chespace said:
Yes, it just got dealt with today with the patch that you received.

Ah, so there WAS a brand new patch today.. I was installing the game on my other 360 and suddenly saw the update message, was scratching my head, I couldn't recall getting it during my first install. Forgot to bring with me my game saves on my MU though :(((((((((((((( The 360 should've had "cloud saves" :)

chespace

GuessWho said:
what is this bs about not being able to race lower class cars online?

We'll be adding matchmaking hoppers for all sorts of game types in the near future. Just waiting to get through launch period first.

Jube3

Finally get to get back online today. Shaking like an addict :lol . Dropped 300 ranks on the leaderboard :( have some serious ground to make up!

Crag Dweller said:
I couldn't wait till my son got out of school and decided to try out the 3 screen/cockpit setup I've been working on for him. First impressions is DAMN!!! this game looks nice like this. Can't wait until the fanatec wheel gets here to complete the whole thing, but even with the MS wheel this feels great. I cringe at the thought of how much money this past year I've saved up and spent to have something like this, but what the hell you only live once, and both myself and son will surely get a lot of use out of this setup.

Pics!!!!!!

So, after actually racing for a while (See: My Awesome DHARMA Motor Pool Decal In The GT: KidInsomnia Storefront!), some thoughts:

a) This game absolutely handles and drives better, even with scrub cars. Just as much fun as in the demo.
b) The tracks, even the actual circuits, are gorgeous. I make it a habit to actually sit through the flyovers.
c) The opening "screen saver" is totally awesome and I leave it on a lot
d) Hard is quite a fun challenge. I had to go through the second two races in the Five Door challenge quite a few times to gain gold in all of them. I kind of miss getting free cars when finishing a challenge, though. The getting one with each new level is nice, but I liked the other way too.
e) Unlocking new cars feels so much more special thanks to the revamped introduction. You really get a good look at the new cars (and your old ones)

Overall, a incredibly well done racing experience thus far. Easily the most significant aspect of it is the presentation of the cars between (and right before) races. You have such a stronger attachment to the car as an object thanks to the cinematic style. Same goes for tracks.

Sysgen

Help! I can't get the game installed. It will not recognize disc 1 or disc 2 when it tells me to insert either. I can preload both from the dashboard with no issue though. There is no progress bar when loading disc 2 from in the game. It's taking far too long (edit disc was never recognized).

Hmm OK it says incorrect disc. Tried installing from dashboard but game I guess checks disc2 then tells me to load disc 1 but it never gets past that. Not sure if I should bring this back for a new copy.

So I put disc 1 back in and this aborts to the dashboard. Lovely. What's the odds both discs are bad especially since they installed fine from the dashboard.

Yay after the game "crashed" from the setup screen I started it again inserted disc 2 when told and now I see the progress screen. What a bitch.

Ziploc

Neo Member
Weird. I activated all my LCE stuff this morning but I down have a crown online. What gives? Does it take a while to apply?

Chrange

Banned
Sysgen said:
Help! I can't get the game installed. It will not recognize disc 1 or disc 2 when it tells me to insert either. I can preload both from the dashboard with no issue though. There is no progress bar when loading disc 2 from in the game. It's taking far too long.

Hmm OK it says incorrect disc. Tried installing from dashboard but game I guess checks disc2 then tells me to load disc 1 but it never gets oast that. Not sure if I should bring this back for a new copy.

So I put disc 1 back in and this aborts to the dashboard. Lovely. What's the odds both discs are bad especially since they installed fine from the dashboard.

Yay after the game "crashed" from the setup screen I started it again inserted disc 2 when told and now I see the progress screen. What a bitch.

Wait...you installed Disc Two through the dashboard? Why would you install an install disc? :lol

Delete the installs for both discs. Install Disc One again and try to play - it'll tell you to put in disc two to install the content.

AMUSIX

DAMN RESPONSIBILITIES!!!

My Jaguar Spitfire is going to have to wait a few days. And I'm nowhere near getting to 450K to make the Gullwing Messerschmitt.

My rivets are getting better, though. 4 layers each instead of 3!

Sysgen

Chrange said:
Wait...you installed Disc Two through the dashboard? Why would you install an install disc? :lol

Delete the installs for both discs. Install Disc One again and try to play - it'll tell you to put in disc two to install the content.

Because it says it's an "install" disc" This isn't a PC and frankly I see your point but I had read here earlier that you only need to "install" the second disc. To me "install" meant the "install" as I do for every 360 game. Keep laughing at my inconvenience, you don't get any points.

Also the install sits there unless you press advanced but also says don't interrupt the install. With all do respect for everyones hard work the setup leaves a lot to be desired.

AMUSIX

Sysgen said:
Because it says it's an "install" disc" This isn't a PC and frankly I see your point but I had read here earlier that you only need to "install" the second disc. To me "install" meant the "install" as I do for every 360 game. Keep laughing at my inconvenience, you don't get any points.
wait...no points? then what the fuck am I laughing for? This SUCKS!

I did the same thing

Sysgen said:

To be fair I bought the game over lunch and planned on doing the same thing. Because of the install feature now this will happen with many copies of the game.

Hawk SE

Well, picked up my copy of FM3 LCE and played some during my hour lunch, got a lot accomplished:

- Installed Disc 1
- Started FM3
- Installed Disc 2
- Input all DLC codes (VIP, Legends, and Community Car) and downloaded those

- Raced through my first Weekday Events
- Got 7 achievements

Awesome game thus far, what a painful 4 months since the announcement at E3 - but JOB WELL DONE!

HoTHiTTeR

Attention XBL racers;

I realize it's been a little while since you've played a simulation style racing game, but it's absolutely, im-fucking-perative, that you understand this - WHEN YOU'RE COMING UP TO A CORNER, SLOW THE FUCK DOWN. I've received more t-bones in the last 2 nights than a butcher shop gets all year. :lol

Hawk SE

HoTHiTTeR said:
Attention XBL racers;

I realize it's been a little while since you've played a simulation style racing game, but it's absolutely, im-fucking-perative, that you understand this - WHEN YOU'RE COMING UP TO A CORNER, SLOW THE FUCK DOWN. I've received more t-bones in the last 2 nights than a butcher shop gets all year. :lol

LOL that's funny, but oh so true. I don't even plan to race online for at least a week so I can level up and get used to the game all over again. Plus career will be addictive.

Spasm

HoTHiTTeR said:
Attention XBL racers;

I remember way back in the days of the Xbox Live beta... If you could survive the first turn of Mugello in Moto GP, you were very nearly guaranteed a victory.

Spasm said:
I remember way back in the days of the Xbox Live beta... If you could survive the first turn of Mugello in Moto GP, you were very nearly guaranteed a victory.

Yep, hang back.. enjoy the carnage and then fly by on the way to victory. This same thing happens with every racing game. Sad but true..

Flo_Evans

WOOOHOO!! Amazon delivered! And I got a $10 off coupon for my next game purchase. Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in! FUCKERS!

Now to kill 3 hours at work... :(

I'm on the fence regarding this game...

First off, I'm not a car guy. I enjoy arcade racers occasionally, but I really don't have any sort of car fetish in real life or in games for that matter.

I did get hooked on the first Gran Turismo back in the day, mostly becasue it was so new at the time, and I liked the way the progression worked.

Never played a Forza game before, but I kinda liked the demo for part 3 for some reason. Don't know why, but it seemed kinda fun. I think I had pretty much all the assists on.

I guess my question is: is the actual racing dynamic enough to appeal to an arcade racer fan? How's the drifting? I really don't expect to get wrapped up in the community parts of this game too much, so my enjoyment is pretty much going to rest solely on the single-player experience here.

Any opinions?

Iknos

SmokyDave said:
Having had some hands-on time with the game now I have completely changed my opinion on the rewind feature. I really don't like it. It removes all the risk from racing. Although I personally don't use it, I was watching my friend playing and the feature really isn't helping him in the way I thought it would. It isn't improving his cornering, it's just stopping him worrying about fucking up because he has an 'Undo fuck-up' button.

Although I'm sure the feature is fine in theory, and would make a good aid to perfecting lap times, the implementation as I have seen it used is not something I'd want in other racing games. Going back to playing NFS: Shift after playing Forza, it felt like the stakes had gone through the roof and every race was a knuckle-biting hair-raising nerve-fraying experience.

I had these concerns as well but I also saw the positive side of them.

Judging by the GiantBomb and Kotaku reviews it seems like Rewind can and will be a feature to help amateur drivers become better drivers.

Kotaku said:
One of the most helpful features in Forza Motorsport 3, the option to rewind a race a few seconds at a time, letting one correct one's mistakes, was also the one instrumental to me learning how to drive properly. Had I not had the opportunity to attempt a problematic corner again and again and again, without having to revisit the entire race, I'd have quickly lost the desire to compete. Rewind is a wonderful feature, a welcome addition to a simulation driving game that eases the frustration of that one botched chicane. Granted, rewind can't be used in multiplayer games, so drivers can't rely on it to fix every little mistake in Forza 3.

My concern is that it would be abused and judging from your anecdote that can happen as well.

So it seems it is what you make of it. I've said here many times that it should be an assist option so you are rewarded with more credits if you don't have it as an option. That way it weans new drivers off of it and rewards those playing the game without it.

But what's done is done and it seems like a fundamental design decision that T10 made long ago.

Right now I have more pressing concerns with the game such as the pre-race revving which I think affects races more than rewind. Because as the Kotaku article stated in the end you can't use rewind online.

Hawk xSx said:
Well, picked up my copy of FM3 LCE and played some during my hour lunch, got a lot accomplished:

- Installed Disc 1
- Started FM3
- Installed Disc 2
- Input all DLC codes (VIP, Legends, and Community Car) and downloaded those

- Raced through my first Weekday Events
- Got 7 achievements

Awesome game thus far, what a painful 4 months since the announcement at E3 - but JOB WELL DONE!

I'm at:
-started FM3
-installed disc 2
-going to proceed to R8 race and then 360 froze
-figured that it will only freeze during gameplay or crazy visuals and won't in the dashboard
-proceeded to install disc 1
-currently at 75%...if it freezes here I could screw up my HDD I garner

Recoil

Spasm said:

I honestly think there wasn't any game that had this worse than PGR2. At least in MotoGP, the targets were small. First turn of almost every track in PGR was always a beautiful, beautiful clusterfuck. For a long time, you could simply hang back way in 8th place and then breeze right on through while everyone was scrambling to get back on track.

Just got back with my LCE.

I can't remember the last time I was so hyped for a game. Looking forward to playing absolutely nothing else for a long, long time. :D

Peterthumpa

Whoompthereitis said:

First off, I'm not a car guy. I enjoy arcade racers occasionally, but I really don't have any sort of car fetish in real life or in games for that matter.

I did get hooked on the first Gran Turismo back in the day, mostly becasue it was so new at the time, and I liked the way the progression worked.

Never played a Forza game before, but I kinda liked the demo for part 3 for some reason. Don't know why, but it seemed kinda fun. I think I had pretty much all the assists on.

I guess my question is: is the actual racing dynamic enough to appeal to an arcade racer fan? How's the drifting? I really don't expect to get wrapped up in the community parts of this game too much, so my enjoyment is pretty much going to rest solely on the single-player experience here.

Any opinions?
Hm, well, in this case...
buy it.

AMUSIX

Whoompthereitis said:

Any opinions?

FWIW, I've a few friends who aren't usually into racers, and they all went out and bought Forza3 after trying it for a bit. As one friend put it after he played it for about a week (and I believe he's spot on) Forza 3 WANTS you to enjoy yourself. It wants you to succeed, and encourages you to play better. Past racing sims he felt as if they tried to get you to play better by whipping you over and over.

I've also noticed on a number of message boards, quite a few comments to the same effect from newcomers and casual player of the genre. All of them say that, for some reason, Forza 3 is enjoyable for them to play.

Just installed everything/redeemed codes and won my first weekday event. So awesome!

For now i'm using hood/bonnet cam, but I plan on switching to cockpit view after I get a bit more comfortable. Graphics really are outstanding. Silky smooth 60fps. Jaggies are there in race, but that's really my only issue. Overall sound design is excellent, great use of surround. I'm amazed at the designs already up on the auction house, and in this thread. Great job everyone at Turn 10!

HoTHiTTeR said:
Attention XBL racers;

I've never been in an online race when this hasn't happened. That is why I resort to Burnout for my online racing most of the time. At last in that game, T-Boning is accepted.

chespace

Spruchy said:
Can I install the disc later? I just want to play a bit before going out.

Yup, you can install disc 2 (from within the game) whenever you want.

Jube3

Vlightray said:
Awesome game and engine swaps are heaven. Been planning which car is next. Anybody now if there are some ridiculous swaps?

80s trans am with the corvette Zr1 engine gets you close to 1000hp if you upgrade it all the way :D

blanky

My fanatec order for the stand changed to Delivered a few days, don't know how to interpret for sure since nothing arrived yet... emails are slow too hopefully it'll be here later this week.

p.s. BenjaminBirdie I'm going to be on later tonight, shall I hook you up with that GT-R livery?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm on my 3rd Championship event of the game and I'm hooked. However, I think I might be playing it wrong. I raced and got 1st in all but one race with all assist off, manual and hard difficulty(for most of the races) so I racked up some good money. I had 55,000 at one point and I bought the new M3. I did some more weekday races and they were built around my car class so that was cool However, when I got to the weekend race, it made me go back to my Class E car. Am I supposed to just tune and upgrade 1 car until the weekend championship requires a better class car?

Any chance of the #92 Rahal Letterman Racing M3 GT2 getting patched? It not having any dashboard display is a bit of a bummer as I always have my HUD off. Unless of course it doesn't have a display in real life?

Tashi0106 said:
However, when I got to the weekend race, it made me go back to my Class E car. Am I supposed to just tune and upgrade 1 car until the weekend championship requires a better class car?
Each season has a different class major championship. Sometimes that'll overlap with what you're currently using, sometimes it wont.

DarkJC

Just picked up an LCE from a Rogers Plus on the way to university. Not sure what the LCE situation is like in canada but if you're searching for one Rogers plus might not be a bad place to check. Mine didn't even have their forza stuff unpacked yet.

Sysgen

Isn't the purpose of Tuning to tune your car to each track? Sure it is yet on the tuner save screen the default name for the setup is "Forza" instead of the track? In fact the track name is nowhere to be found even when you exit from the tuning screen to the start screen? This is just from one the test races so maybe I'm missing something.

On the tuning tabs the video background is a nice touch but why couldn't a black background be placed behind the white text. When the white text is over a light part of the track the text is unreadable.

Falagard said:
Agreed. The graphics have improved, and the handling has improved, and there are more tracks... but in my opinion the game is better mostly because of the better career progression, the auto upgrade system, and the ability to buy tuning setups from people who know how to tune.

This is spot on. It's more about a love of cars, rather than straight racing....Dare I say it, but it tastes more of Gran Tourismo in that respect, and that's a good thing!

The Career progression in Forza 2 was more similar to "pick a rubbish car", <Race a tournament> "Hey you won a tournament, here's a race car, you can now ignore most of the cars in the game"

The way the game alters tournaments dependent on whatever insane car you've chosen to drive is very cool, and for us who just want to hoon around a track in crazy cars, without knowing our ratios from our dampers, it's fantastic.

can't wait to jump on it again later tonight. "Nihilist Monkey" is my XBL Tag. My Friends list is nearly empty, so I'd love some gaffers to play against.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Just came in to say how much I love Forza 3.

I have never, ever felt more comfortable with a racing game than Forza 3. The handling (thanks for caring for those who use a 360 controller to race :D), the graphics, the simplistic, yet elegant UI and menu, the cars, everything.

I'm tempted to set the difficulty to "Serious", but I'm just a "Regular" when it comes to racing games. What do you guys think? I did turn off an assist as well as making the damage model "simulation" and am completely comfortable with those settings, but I'm also tempted to up the ante already.

Oh and che, any status on the 3 cars you guys were going to give out to those who sent a picture of their pre-orders? I just prt scr'd my Best Buy pre-order page, but I guess you folks took it as a photoshop. :(

DarkJC

Domino Theory said:
Just came in to say how much I love Forza 3.

I have never, ever felt more comfortable with a racing game than Forza 3. The handling (thanks for caring for those who use a 360 controller to race :D), the graphics, the simplistic, yet elegant UI and menu, the cars, everything.

I'm tempted to set the difficulty to "Serious", but I'm just a "Regular" when it comes to racing games. What do you guys think? I did turn off an assist as well as making the damage model "simulation" and am completely comfortable with those settings, but I'm also tempted to up the ante already.

Oh and che, any status on the 3 cars you guys were going to give out to those who sent a picture of their pre-orders? I just prt scr'd my Best Buy pre-order page, but I guess you folks took it as a photoshop. :(
Honestly I think your experience increases 10 fold if you eventually work yourself up to no assists with manual shifting. Nothing compares to taking a corner perfectly when you have full control.

It might take a bit to get used to manual shifting and controlling your throttle and braking more (due to no TCS and ABS) but I'd say it's worth a little frustration.

imtehman

Banned
just got hte game, finished my first race on season play, got 2nd with all assists off on medium. I read there was a CAP on the storefront so i gotta amass lots of money and buy them before the cap is removed.

ONe thing i noticed though is that there are lots of jaggies in this game

Top Bottom