• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

I made £46 in trade in credit, £9 was from real old £1 ps2 games so I finally brought the regular edition of forza 3! now what's the bets that royal mail post my LE tomorrow morning :lol

If anyone wants a cheap regular forza 3 pal copy once my LE arrives, feel free to give me an offer.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
h3ro said:
Che, what's up with the theme for the LE?

Sorry if you've posted this before, I just got home with it and am installing Disc 2 now! So hyped to get started... :D

LE theme had an issue on the way to marketplace. We're getting it sorted now with LIVE. I'll have confirmation info on 11/2 but it looks like we'll be sending all those with LCEs a separate token via Xbox LIVE inbox to grab the LCE theme.

SmokyDave said:
It's not me that I'm worried about. It's people relying on the rewind feature and then not buying racing games without rewind which would then lead to every racing game having rewind.

I can't really explain why that would be a problem to me, but it would.

Edit: Did someone just call the '64 250 GTO ugly?

Hold me back, I'm gonna 'ave 'im!

yes the 64 250 GTO is "ugly" when compared to the 62 250 GTO

250gto_31.jpg

Arstechnica review

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...g-simulator-ars-reviews-forza-3-embargoed.ars

The Good
Huge selection of 400 cars, over 100 tracks, and they're all unlocked from the jump. You merely need to earn the cash
One of the most beautiful games of this generation
The racing simply "feels" right, from the arcade settings to the most hardcore simulation
Car painters and tuners will find a home with the improved storefront
Flexible online modes allow you to race in a multitude of modes with a wide variety of settings
Season mode is generated for you, allowing you to continue racing the cars you like, or you can branch off at any time
Better than average single-player AI, if you keep the pressure on your opponents they'll often crack and make mistakes
Earn money and levels by playing either single or multiplayer races
The rewind feature keeps your interest, cuts down on quitting in frustration

The Bad
The Season mode can start to feel like a grind as you go along
This is going to create quite the high bar for other racing games to match up to

The Ugly
OMG, TWO DISCS? This would never happen on the PS3 because it has Blu-ray and the 360 sucks LOLZORS.

Verdict: Buy

very positive.

bj00rn_

Banned
I guess it only shows how good Forza 3 turned out, I mean; when all some people want to bitch about is ®The optional fucking rewind.

SmokyDave

bj00rn_ said:
I guess it only shows how good Forza 3 turned out, I mean; when all some people want to bitch about is ®The optional fucking rewind.

Oh sorry, I thought this was a discussion forum, not a fucking circle-jerk. I tried raising reasonable points in a reasonable manner and you'd think I'd shat on some of your mothers.

I give up. Rewind is sent from the gods and SmokyDave is a troll that hates racing games.

OMG the 2 disc stacked case is a bitch, nearly snapped the damn game disc trying to get the bugger out.

Why does everything have to go wrong for me.

SarBear

I'm glad I went on my lunch break to pick up my LE. The Gamestop I ordered from only received SIX of these after pre-ordering twenty. That sucks....for the rest of these people.

SarBear said:
I'm glad I went on my lunch break to pick up my LE. The Gamestop I ordered from only received SIX of these after pre-ordering twenty. That sucks....for the rest of these people.

Now you are making me worry, I was going to pick this up later today before I go to work, now I might just get up this afternoon. My Gamestop is small and notorious for not getting stuff in that they pre-order. I did tell the manager last week if they don't hold my Forza 3 for me, I would stop shopping there ...

Diablohead said:
OMG the 2 disc stacked case is a bitch, nearly snapped the damn game disc trying to get the bugger out.

Why does everything have to go wrong for me.

I don't understand why MS always go the cheap route with thier AAA games.. from crappy Halo 3 LE case that drop out your disk, stupid 3 disc + paper sleeve for Lost Odyssey, super lame strip down LE of Fable II and the list go on.

They have an awesome racing game like Forza 3 then kill the hype with crappy stack disc packaging (I guess we should count our blessing that it wasn't pack in paper sleeve..) and photomode that compress to save $$ eventhough people that take advantage of the features are all Live paying Gold members...

antiquegamer said:
I don't understand why MS always go the cheap route with thier AAA games.. from crappy Halo 3 LE case that drop out your disk, stupid 3 disc + paper sleeve for Lost Odyssey, super lame strip down LE of Fable II and the list go on.

They have an awesome racing game like Forza 3 then kill the hype with crappy stack disc packaging (I guess we should count our blessing that it wasn't pack in paper sleeve..) and photomode that compress to save $$ eventhough people that take advantage of the features are all Live paying Gold members...
I would love to see a proper 2 disc holder inside the case but that little extra plastic will put MS out of business! that few extra pence per box will close them down!

---

As said on the other page, once I collect my LE from the postman this regular edition (pal) is up for cheap grabs if the offer is good, i'm not using the code and can throw in the gamestation bonus cars (lancer and R8) too, I won't need 2 copies.

Lucius86

Banned
antiquegamer said:

Have to disagree with you there - Forza 3's LE packaging is the fucking nuts IMO.

LCfiner

Anglophone in Montreal here. just got my copy now and, boy, was it tough finding a copy in English. I don’t know the reasoning behind it but MS decided on two SKUs for Forza 3 over here. one english, one french. no bilingual version. and, when I asked, apparently it’s not just the cover art and manual thats french. it’s the whole game.

anyway, found one english copy at HMV ( none at futureshop, none at EB games) and I’m installing it now.

edit: on a positive side, the copy I have has a flip insert for the 2nd disc. no stack packaging, no chance of scratches.

Che, can you / will you comment on the problems with sound that people are experiencing? Everything else is perfect for me, it's just that driving around and hearing sound corruption that isn't supposed to be there is very disheartening.

h3ro

chespace said:
LE theme had an issue on the way to marketplace. We're getting it sorted now with LIVE. I'll have confirmation info on 11/2 but it looks like we'll be sending all those with LCEs a separate token via Xbox LIVE inbox to grab the LCE theme.

Sweet. So 11/2 for the theme and then 11/4 for the 3 pre-order cars and the Audi Zune DTM car. :D

So I'm two events in... <3 the 500 Abarth :D

SarBear said:

Hope mine got enough or I'll just have to settle for the regular edition.....at Best Buy.

The code you get with all new copies of the game for the benchmark ring and cars, does the LE have the code on it's own also? I ask because:

I want to play on the benchmark ring to take photos and drift.

I want to resell my standard copy when the LE gets here.

I was thinking maybe I can use the code from my regular copy of F3 and replace it with the card from the LE box, but I am also worried that the LE code is also the VIP code or they are both on the same piece of paper, are they on separate pages?

rjcc

Diablohead said:
The code you get with all new copies of the game for the benchmark ring and cars, does the LE have the code on it's own also? I ask because:

I was thinking maybe I can use the code from my regular copy of F3 and replace it with the card from the LE box, but I am also worried that the LE code is also the VIP code or they are both on the same piece of paper, are they on separate pages?

separate cards. there's two cards in the LE box.

sneaky77

Diablohead said:

The vip code is a different one.. but the cars and tracks and theme is on one

Spasm

Questions about controls... I looked briefly, but couldn't find what I'm looking for.

1. Can you invert the camera for photomode? If not, I can't believe that got past TRC, not using the inverted settings from profile defaults.

2. Can you customize your controls, or are you stuck using the 12 presets? I use #12, but instead of having all the face buttons useless, I'd like to assign them the actions on the triggers, so I can use the triggers to look around the cockpit :D

Hawk269

Sorry if I missed it...but is there a list of what the patch did this morning? I know the major one was loading a setup in mp mode, but i thought they had a list of other stuff they were fixing.

If anyone can post an official list of what the patch did, it would be appreciated.

BTW...loving the game...just need to fix the following Che...

Well, I have only had the game since the midnight launch last night and I already have some issues with the game. None of these in my opinion would take much to fix, but here they are listed as MAJOR or MINOR:

MAJOR

1. Difficulty. Medium is too easy, hard it too hard. We need a medium-hard difficulty. It is sad that I have not lost a race yet in medium, but in hard, it is almost impossible to do it. I said almost.

2. Brightness setting. I have a professionally calibrated TV, all my games are fine. Forza 3 is just a tad too dark. Yeah, I can adjust it manually on my TV, but why did they not have that option built in? I dont want to have to adjust my TV because of ONE game.

3. Just to repeat what almost EVERYONE is saying. The hoppers. Why no lower class cars. Some of the best racing is in lower class cars. I know they can control this easily...just need to do it.

MINOR

1. In the future...add 2-3 more attract screens other that just the one.

That's it for me...I am sure there are more as I play the game, but the top 3, especially the difficulty setting needs to be fixed immediately.

sneaky77 said:
The vip code is a different one.. but the cars and tracks and theme is on one
rjcc said:
separate cards. there's two cards in the LE box.
Thank you both, looks like I can use the card and swap the other one around later on :D

Also I just done the first 2 F200 cups and decided to turn on multiscreen at 76 degrees, wow now that is such a nice improvement, I can see more of the wheel and wing mirror but not enough to totally warp the screen with a fisheye look, will try it like this for a while.

Hearing people complain about the difficulty worries me. I doubt this is something they can fix after the fact (but I would love to be proven wrong).

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
professor_t said:
Hearing people complain about the difficulty worries me. I doubt this is something they can fix after the fact (but I would love to be proven wrong).

Why not go with Hard and turn on some assists? Seems that would be a fix.

X26

Banned
Probably been asked plenty of times already, but if I want to install the game to the hd do i need to install both discs? And overall how much space does the game need

Just picked up my LE! Got the pre-order bonus card as well. Can't wait to get home and install. Now to invent a clone of myself that can stand in for me in real life while I play this and borderlands.

sneaky77

X26 said:
damn. so if I just install one the game will keep running off the disc regardless of what I'm doing in-game?

Well you have to install disc 2 in order to access the content... the only optional is to install 1 or not. and 1 is needed to run the game, so if its not installed then you have to run it from the disc

KHarvey16

Lucius86 said:
Have to disagree with you there - Forza 3's LE packaging is the fucking nuts IMO.

Yeah, UPS man just brought me mine and I'm not sure what the complaints are about. I've seen some pretty terrible packages(especially with PC games) where disk breakage was a real possibility, but the flap with the play disk on it and the standard position for the content disk seems perfectly fine to me.

bj00rn_

Banned
SmokyDave said:
Oh sorry, I thought this was a discussion forum, not a fucking circle-jerk. I tried raising reasonable points in a reasonable manner and you'd think I'd shat on some of your mothers.

I give up. Rewind is sent from the gods and SmokyDave is a troll that hates racing games.

No no, I didn't think you were trolling. I just thought it was funny that this is one of the few typical complaints. Asking for an optional disabling of an optional feature is perfectly fine of course :)

SmokyDave

bj00rn_ said:
No no, I didn't think you were trolling. I just thought it was funny that this is the only typical complaint. Asking for an optional disabling of an optional feature is perfectly fine of course :)

Oh, no worries. I only mentioned it because in that horrific Forza Vs. GT5 thread I had been quite a vocal defender of 'Rewind'. Once I had time to play the game I found my opinion did a complete 180.

Doesn't stop this being the best racing game released so far this generation and it really is 99% perfect.

sneaky77

SmokyDave said:
Oh, no worries. I only mentioned it because in that horrific Forza Vs. GT5 thread I had been quite a vocal defender of 'Rewind'. Once I had time to play the game I found my opinion did a complete 180.

Doesn't stop this being the best racing game released so far this generation and it really is 99% perfect.

I think you're taking it the wrong way imo... I look at it, as it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game at all.. I can choose not to use it if I don't want to, although I am sure I will at some pts because is easier than just pause restart 10 lap race... I enjoy the feature in dirt and grid.
But the rewind is helping your friend enjoy a game that he may not enjoy otherwise. With time he may want to start racing better or not.. no one knows.. but its a way to get people that are intimidated by sims into it and ease them.

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
I couldn't wait till my son got out of school and decided to try out the 3 screen/cockpit setup I've been working on for him. First impressions is DAMN!!! this game looks nice like this. Can't wait until the fanatec wheel gets here to complete the whole thing, but even with the MS wheel this feels great. I cringe at the thought of how much money this past year I've saved up and spent to have something like this, but what the hell you only live once, and both myself and son will surely get a lot of use out of this setup.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Is it bad that the very first thing I'm doing after installing Disc 2 is making a DHARMA Motor Pool decal?

Or just sad?
So sad. I do want to do the new Doctor Who symbol tonight though. :D

saladine1

I know it's too soon to talk about but i'm wondering what the DLC schedule looks like.
I remember the leaked info saying something about 10 cars a month for a year, which sounds awesome, but what about tracks?
1 every month/two months perhaps?

KHarvey16 said:
Yeah, UPS man just brought me mine and I'm not sure what the complaints are about. I've seen some pretty terrible packages(especially with PC games) where disk breakage was a real possibility, but the flap with the play disk on it and the standard position for the content disk seems perfectly fine to me.
Is that how the LE does it? I have the normal release right now and both are stacked on top of each other, but the cenrter hole grip part is very tight and I had to bend the box a little to warp it while pulling the dvd, I had to give it a few attempts. Needless to say I stuck the unused disc once installed back into the box gently without pushing it all the way to the base.

saladine1 said:
I know it's too soon to talk about but i'm wondering what the DLC schedule looks like.
I remember the leaked info saying something about 10 cars a month for a year, which sounds awesome, but what about tracks?
Do we really need new tracks yet? there is enough here for a good 6 months yet. F2 may have lacked a few extra tracks at launch but it was a while before any became dlc.

SmokyDave

sneaky77 said:
I think you're taking it the wrong way imo... I look at it, as it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game at all.. I can choose not to use it if I don't want to, although I am sure I will at some pts because is easier than just pause restart 10 lap race... I enjoy the feature in dirt and grid.
But the rewind is helping your friend enjoy a game that he may not enjoy otherwise. With time he may want to start racing better or not.. no one knows.. but its a way to get people that are intimidated by sims into it and ease them.

Your argument is the same as mine was before I spent a week with Forza 3. I think the thing that really rubbed me the wrong way was the AI's propensity to give up driving after a rewind (watch the mirrors, it happens). It just makes the single player feel 'different' to any other racer I've played (except S.C.A.R & Grid which had rewind but both sucked for other reasons).

It's only my opinion as I say, but all the arguments you'd use to attack my opinion are arguments I myself used before playing the game. I now feel different, that's all.

sneaky77

SmokyDave said:
It's only my opinion as I say, but all the arguments you'd use to attack my opinion are arguments I myself used before playing the game. I now feel different, that's all.

I am not "attacking" I think you have the right to your opinion, I have no issues with your opinion either.

ElNino

saladine1 said:
That leaked info was not accurate I believe.

Do not expect to get 10 cars a month... you will likely set youself up for disappointment. I imagine we will get at least one pack before the holidays but any more than that is probably wishful thinking.

KHarvey16

Diablohead said:
Is that how the LE does it? I have the normal release right now and both are stacked on top of each other, but the cenrter hole grip part is very tight and I had to bend the box a little to warp it while pulling the dvd, I had to give it a few attempts. Needless to say I stuck the unused disc once installed back into the box gently without pushing it all the way to the base.

Ooooohhhh, I got it now. Yeah, I was talking about the LE. Not sure why I thought you were talking about it as well. Think of it this way...you've got the improved packaging to look forward to along with everything else!

saladine1

Diablohead said:
Do we really need new tracks yet? there is enough here for a good 6 months yet. F2 may have lacked a few extra tracks at launch but it was a while before any became dlc.
Umm..hello?
BATHURST?
'Nuff said...

Top Bottom