• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

Brashnir

methos75 said:
let me try that, and see if it works

It's been almost two hours and you haven't posted, so either it worked and you're playing, or it didn't and you went on a homicidal rampage.

Shuold I wait for an update or should I check CNN?

Mobius 1

hamchan said:
It might be your TV because the game is very bright on my end. Sometimes I have to turn my head away when the sun ingame is directly ahead of me.
Nope, TV is calibrated to perfection. Forza 3 black levels are off :(

Lucius86 said:
Have to disagree with you there - Forza 3's LE packaging is the fucking nuts IMO.

Agree, the LE is awesome, but he got the regular version and it comes with one of those two disc on top of one another package.

Wal-mart version have exclusive car (BMW) , I didnn't know that...

I got my LE but I am working all night, then study for test tomorrow *sigh* the manager told me some Gamestop take the pre-order up till Monday, and they shouldn't that's why they were short the LE.

Hawk269

Norante said:
Nope, TV is calibrated to perfection. Forza 3 black levels are off :(

My TV is also calibrated and I really think it is such an oversight to put something so basic as a brightness/gamma option in the game.

That is one thing about this game. They did so much in such a short time. Remember, they started on Forza 3 2 months after Forza 2's release...that means with Forza 3 going gold about a month ago, Forza 3 was developed in 1 year and 9 months. That is incredibly fast for what we have...but at the same time, such a short development time lends itself to issues that would of been worked out if they had another year or so to develop the game.

But there is always patches that they can add to the game. My top ones are:

1. AI Difficulty slider or add a medium-hard
2. Fix the on-line lobbies
3. Brightness setting
4. All the little glitches, sound issues etc.

Not much to ask....oh and some wishfull thinking....

1. A way to do practice laps before a race or qualifying

p3tran

Banned
methos75 said:
this game is starting to piss me off, I install the 2nd disc at the prompt and then I put in disc 1 it fails to reload and recognize it every fucking time.
it could be confusing because of the white buttons in the bottom. you need to press A button after you put disc 2 in.

Nutter said:
Also could someone please tell me how to gift credits to someone? Do I have to build a car and then gift it?
if YOU want to give credits to your pip, you tell him to go put a shitty car on auction for the amount you want to give him.
you go to auction house, locate his car, and make him happy :)

in other news,

l50925.jpg

and Champion :D

Apollo

Banned
my daughter broke my disc 2 and I never even got the chance to play the game or install it to HDD. I tried returning game to get new game and they won't let me and on top of that my GF didn't save the receipt like a dumb ass. Can I purchase the cars I want in the auction house?

acm2000

Hawk269 said:
1. AI Difficulty slider or add a medium-hard
2. Fix the on-line lobbies
3. Brightness setting
4. All the little glitches, sound issues etc.

Not much to ask....oh and some wishfull thinking....

1. A way to do practice laps before a race or qualifying

what? i want a very hard setting, its too easy on hard as it is

p3tran

Banned
acm2000 said:
what? i want a very hard setting, its too easy on hard as it is
yeah, its a bit funny the things people ask for without even getting their toes wet.

HAWK, go check my storefront for some tunes to help you beat the crap out of hard AI ;)

Brashnir

Apollo said:
my daughter broke my disc 2 and I never even got the chance to play the game or install it to HDD. I tried returning game to get new game and they won't let me and on top of that my GF didn't save the receipt like a dumb ass. Can I purchase the cars I want in the auction house?
disc 2 is only needed for an install once and never used again. Just borrow it from a friend or rent the game. Hell, if you live in the DC area, you can use mine.

Apollo

Banned
Brashnir said:
disc 2 is only needed for an install once and never used again. Just borrow it from a friend or rent the game. Hell, if you live in the DC area, you can use mine.

hmm...I could rent the game but it cost $5+ but can I buy the cars I want at the auction house until then? It's going to be hard to find Forza 3 at my rental store for at least a few weeks when ppl don't want to play it anymore.

DarkJC

BigKaboom2 said:
On medium, I leave everyone in the dust - on hard, I come in second every time and the red car is like half a mile ahead of me. :(

So keep playing on Hard and shave down those times :D

It's not like you get penalized that much for coming in second instead of first, you get almost the same amount of cash.

DarkJC

Apollo said:
hmm...I could rent the game but it cost $5+ but can I buy the cars I want at the auction house until then? It's going to be hard to find Forza 3 at my rental store for at least a few weeks when ppl don't want to play it anymore.

I have a feeling if you haven't installed the cars to your system you wont be able to buy any of them. You're not actually downloading the car when you buy one, you're just downloading an 'instance' of the car that would use the car model stored on your local disc/hdd.

p3tran

Banned
hmmm almost 10/10 out of my friend list is playing Forza3. nice.

oh, and some minor glitches found to be fixed, like those F100 skylines dominating some F leaderboards..:lol

I just hope that this time T10 will have a more sophisticated solution than Forza2.
back in forza2, I had my times wiped not once, but twice, since what T10 could do about glitching, was to delete top1000 times :lol (I laugh now, but I was pissed as Hell then)

Yoritomo said:
I wouldn't suggest having it off at all. Not all displays are animated and the ones that are, many of them don't seem to be calibrated at all.
Too true. Well, for those that do work I'll have the HUD off. For the others that don't I'll have the HUD on. It's a pain though.

LCfiner

I played, I dunno, 3-4 hours yesterday. Loved it. great polish and i really like the event chooser in season play. it makes it easier to get into events quickly, to figure out which events will have new tracks or better bonuses. it's great.

I'm a pretty poor driver so I'm still on medium difficulty for now and I'm not blowing by anyone. and my car is always a scratched up mes by the end of every race. I'm giving the AI cars little love taps with my front bumper.

anyway, it really has that "one more race" addictive quality to it. I just had to put it down and get some sleep. I had been up for 20 hours before I relented and put the controller down.

And while cockpit view is really cool, i always go back to bumper view. there's a sense of speed in that view that you don't get in the cockpit. plus, the rear view mirror isn't half obscured. but, mainly, it's just that sense of speed in bumper cam that I find intoxicating.

lil smoke said:
NY track really sucks. Just not a very fun track to drive.

I agree. it's like this in every racing game. I think it gets put in just for the eye candy and name recognition but it's a dull track. I like the hairpin corners but it's not nearly as fun as other tracks.

Drastic

I've only put a few hours in, but very, very impressed with the game. I'm using cockpit view more than I thought - it just feels right.

The visuals are great, FF is great. I'm really digging the racing aspect.

Very disappointed with some of the auctionhouse/storefront aspects, namely the way sold tunes are handled. Everything is locked. This may not be a problem for most, but I've always enjoyed finding great cars and buying them. This is probably 1/3 to 1/2 of the game for me.

You can't change parts and you can't change the tune. I think T10 have made a mistake here. Maybe tuners want this and it will help them, but from the end-user/community-consumer viewpoint it makes things a total, unnecessary pain.

For example, I like to race no-assists. Most people (98%+) use abs, and the tunes reflect that. Out of literally hundreds of cars I bought on FM2, I think maybe one was just about right for non-ABS. Every other single tune, the brake pressure (and often balance) needed to be adjusted to be drivable. This makes AH/SF useless to me unless I change the way I play the game. This is absolute garbage since no self-respecting real-world racing series use ABS.

You can't change gear ratios or downforce for long/short tracks. You're locked in to that class and those parts - no downgrading to make your favorite car/tune compete a class or two lower or higher.

The other part, is the parts you have to buy when you load the tune. You have no idea what they are, you can't use them on your own tune (you have to buy them again?), and if you delete the tune - there goes the parts you bought. This doesn't seem like it was thought through at all, there are better ways to do this.

----------

I know I can tune my own cars, yada yada. The truth is in FM2 I have spent many hours tuning and I just didn't enjoy it. I'm not that good at it, and I much preferred finding great tunes with racing liveries and running with them. However, I always needed to tweak brake settings and gear ratios.

It was a drag for paints to be locked in FM2 - you couldn't personalize anything, and you often had that one glaring defect in the paint. However this never affected the racing experience since it was simply cosmetic. Tunes are a different ball of wax.

T10 seems to have really knocked it out of the park with the racing model, but dropped the ball with how sold tunes are handled. It seems the smart thing would have been to allow seller the choice to lock/unlock the paint or tune, or allow a couple settings to be tweaked, or at least give your part money back when you delete a sold tune. I know they could change this in an update, I just wonder if they're willing.

Anyone else see this as a glaring defect on an otherwise excellent game?

sneaky77

I didn't have time to play a lot last night, but game looks great, it handles great. I did get to buy birdie's lost decal and I added jube and modus and birdie to my favs on the storefront area.
Picked the Fiesta to start with, I get a better sense of speed from the hood cam than the cockpit but I should try the cockpit a little bit more here and there just for fun.

sneaky77 said:
I didn't have time to play a lot last night, but game looks great, it handles great. I did get to buy birdie's lost decal and I added jube and modus and birdie to my favs on the storefront area.
Picked the Fiesta to start with, I get a better sense of speed from the hood cam than the cockpit but I should try the cockpit a little bit more here and there just for fun.

Yay! Thanks, man!

XShagrath

sneaky77 said:

Same! Also picked up Jube3's JSR design as well! Was looking for m0dus' Rocket Knight too, but maybe he hasn't put it up yet.

m0dus said:
I was curious if anyone had any storefront requests? I put up liveries for the fiesta, as well as the Acura. Am I missing any other cars you guys are bound to use?

Also, I've put up decals for Neogaf Drift and Negaf Race, for those interested--these include titles and the 'gaffy' design.

Do I just search for neogaft drift and neogaf race? I'm a Storefront noob >.>

Kordos

I really wish the "NAME SAVE FILE" would have a better default for replays, i.e.

${league_name} - ${track_name} - ${car_name} (${date})

It's a pain typing with the wheel...

Arjen

Kordos said:
Most improved track in FM3: New York Full Circuit.

Yeah...i wish i knew they added chicane's though.
Raced that track online for the first time, i was on pole didn't see the chicane and caused quite the crash.

I solved my disc 2 install dilemma by erasing my previous save file/HDD install and then inserted disc 1 and then initiated disc 2 install from there. I lost 3 hrs of playtime...but hey. I do wish I had known about the issue beforehand.

Also, is there a way to search for specific player created content? (vinyls, etc.)

Assembly Required said:
I solved my disc 2 install dilemma by erasing my previous save file/HDD install and then inserted disc 1 and then initiated disc 2 install from there. I lost 3 hrs of playtime...but hey. I do wish I had known about the issue beforehand.

Also, is there a way to search for specific player created content? (vinyls, etc.)

Yeah, you just select that area on the storefront menu (the left side, Vinyls, deisgns, etc) and then the last option is manual search. I think you can type GTs in there.

Awesome. Thanks dude. I'm terrible when it comes to tuning, so this will help a lot. Looking forward to buying some kickarse designs as well. Time to level up!

Assembly Required said:
Awesome. Thanks dude. I'm terrible when it comes to tuning, so this will help a lot. Looking forward to buying some kickarse designs as well. Time to level up!

Well, your avatar has inspired me to start working on a Scott Pilgrim livery, so win-win!

Flib

I picked up a wheel just before Forza and had been having trouble with it (my first wheel). I found Dirt 2 to be almost unplayable with it, and Forza 2 and PGR4 were better but not a huge amount.

Started in on Forza 3 last night and was still having major issues, but I stuck with it and sure enough I started coming in first in the races. Still not as good at the wheel as the controller, but I'm getting there.

That being said, Forza's implementation of the wheel is fantastic. The force-feedback and sensitivity is right where it needs to be, and you can really feel and instinctively adjust to how your car is gripping the road and how well you're taking a turn.

blanky

Found a neat little trick to make a little bit of money, I bought a VW Rabbit and put it up for auction for 1.000 since I didn't have the Auctioneer achievement (apparently doesn't work by selling the shitastic California which is a gift car) and i made an astounding 20.000 something off it! Just quadrupled my profit there.

Haven't been driving much lately though, since my rennsport stand is on the way hopefully I've been focussing on the livery mostly. It can be so rewarding and pleasing to do that. But it sucks up so much damn time. Then when you pick a car with 20 odd complex logos you're asking for it :( I love it though, going to make a retro inspired mazda next for both the old miata and the new one.

Krakatoa

Can anyone point me towards the Store front with the Sega Daytona cars on? I think it was posted in this thread but I can't find it.

thanks.

HokieJoe

I had a nostalgic moment last night with the white Porsche GT1 on the Ring. Made me think of the good old days with PGR2. Game is great BTW. I like the season/career progression. The feel of the cars is better, and the game just feels more polished than Forza2.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i feel stupid for asking, but can someone walk me through the multiscreen set up to change the FOV? i messed around with the various settings and nothing seemed to change...

Flo_Evans

Game is awesome.

Driving around Fujimi I couldn't help but think of Deals Gap... a DLC point to point track of that would make this the most amazing game ever. Do it Che! Probably wouldn't even have to pay licensing fees because it's a public road! :D

263cy9g.jpg

This driving model is a thing of beauty. I got to the main menu and did hot laps in a FXX on various tracks as soon as I could. Like a kid in a candy store, I had no idea what I wanted next. Oh my god at the driving model. Guess this is what happens when you model around the tires.

After spending the better part of last night playing through the career, I have to say that FM3 is going to wind up high on the short list of my all-time favorite racers-- probably still below PGR2 in the overall hierarchy of awesomeness, but it's a completely different experience and better than just about everything else. I love it.

The feel of the game is so much more tactile than FM2 and the vastly improved UI and relaxing menu music gives it a slickly professional vibe. Only made it to around level 12 on season 3, with 3% of the career completed :lol This game isn't leaving my drive for a while, and I don't mind a bit.

Unfortunately, I have no Live access here, so I'll have to wait until the weekend to get the VIP cars and the Benchmark DLC.

My only real complaint at the moment is the strange-- and quite annoying-- popping sounds that occur periodically during gameplay. Was this addressed in the recent title update?

Other than that, it's all been good. Thanks to Turn 10 for another astounding effort. FM3 deserves every bit of praise it gets.

skyfinch

op_ivy said:
i feel stupid for asking, but can someone walk me through the multiscreen set up to change the FOV? i messed around with the various settings and nothing seemed to change...

I used the Viper when I did changes, which wasn't a good idea. Not matter what I changed to POV to, it didn't change much. Use one of the demo cars (like the R8) just so you know for sure that you see a change.

Anyways, just adjust the slider to 70 and up. 90 might be too much. Make sure you set the multiscreen option to "on". Leave the other options alone.
Once you click, "ok" it'll ask you to reboot. Click "yes" again, and they game will restart to the main screen. It shouldn't kick you out to the dashboard. That's all.

I've been playing for about 4 hours, with no glitches, no extra load times or freezing, like other's have mentioned before the game's launch.

skyfinch

I noticed the "custom soundtracks" on the back of the game case, but who do you enable this? I don't see any option to get music from my hard drive.

Top Bottom