• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

hie

p3tran said:
Getting a 2nd controller to work, would require a 2nd profile to be activated.
this is viewed as a whole lot of security problem for microsoft, and it is not allowed by them.
it's not T10's fault. they tried but where denied.

the easiest way to switch between wheel/pad is to hold the big X button depressed for a couple of seconds, then the pop up menu comes on screen and you select "turn off controller".
after this, you press the start button on the other controller and you're good to go.

Yeah...I figured it might be some sort of TRC issue.

I used the method here on F2, but for some reason if I start the game with the wheel and switch...the controller won't be #1. If I start with the controller and change to wheel..it works. I could be crazy, because I know it worked for F2...I played for about 6 hours straight yesterday, so it might have been fatigue. :lol

skyfinch

ShapeGSX said:
Something that not a lot of people know is that the IR port on the 360 will also control music playback. So if a song comes up that you don't like, you can skip it without bringing up the guide, or pause the music, etc...

It works with universal remotes and the two official media remotes that MS has released.

This is very odd. I have an old remote that came free with Xbox360 launch, but when ever I use it, the thing turns on my laptop. :lol

Anyways, I really wish that I can play in chase view (gotten so used to bumper and hood cam). The car, and overall lighting look so good now. I find myself switching to chase cam just before I go into a tunnel.

Surfheart

Tokubetsu said:
The black levels in this are definitely fucked up. It's not just me either, 2 others on my friends list have said something about it.

Same problem. It's way too dark on my TV. I've got an older Bravia without expanded RGB that's been professionally calibrated and Forza 3 is the ONLY game of all the myriad games I have on 360/ps3/Wii where I need to turn up the brightness.

Some tracks are fine, but alot are just way too dark. It's not that the image is dark as such, there just seems to be uber contrast with whites that blow out and crushed blacks.. no shadow details.

An ingame brightness control would have been ideal.

Senger

Flo_Evans said:
That kind of blows. I'll have to check that tonight. I did use the quick tune once last night to go from B > A > B last night on an M3 and while it didn't keep my 'B' setup correct it did a half decent job of optimizing it... Might have even been better than my initial 'B' tune. :lol

I believe it remembers which parts you were using as well. I'm not 100% sure but I have a stock tune saved for a STi. After upgrading it a bit, when I tried to load the stock tune it showed that the car would be losing power/gaining weight so I would assume it would put the stock parts back on the car.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Anyone else play with notifications turned off? Anytime I get an Achievement or a friend signs on while I'm racing the game drops frames like CRAZY causing me to crash. I turned them off last night and didn't realize I unlocked like 10 achievements.

DarkJC

LCfiner said:
this happened to me once, yeah. not sure why

Guys I think it's cause someone has already finished the race. Happened to me too and at first I was like WTF WHERES THE REWIND as I went spinning into a tirewall at the last corner, then I realized the AI in first had crossed the line.

RayStorm

DarkJC said:
Guys I think it's cause someone has already finished the race. Happened to me too and at first I was like WTF WHERES THE REWIND as I went spinning into a tirewall at the last corner, then I realized the AI in first had crossed the line.

Don't think that is it either. Last time it happened to me, I was in first on the Fujimi Kaido S-Class 1 on 1.
Before that I'm fairly certain that it was somewhat in the middle of a race.

But I do wonder why it isn't possible to rewind near the start of the race. Would be of true value there too.

Oh and another thing, the AI automatically revving the engine up at the start is fucking annoying. At least when I'm not in an AWD car where I can launch with the pedal to the metal.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Real quick note about rewind not be accessible.

You can't rewind under 2 conditions:

1. when the AI pits to repair damage. after the pitting is done, you can rewind again.

2. when the AI has already finished the race while you're still trying to finish

RayStorm

chespace said:
Real quick note about rewind not be accessible.

You can't rewind under 2 conditions:

1. when the AI pits to repair damage. after the pitting is done, you can rewind again.

2. when the AI has already finished the race while you're still trying to finish

So then there actually is a bug. Neither circumstance happened when I couldn't rewind.

Last time it happened I was in first position in the final Corner of the final Fujimi Kaido S-Class rally 1 on 1 thing.

Edit: Unrelated, but what happened to system link?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
There were already 2 cars confirmed for DLC before the end of the year, right?

The Ferrari 458 Italia and...?

I can't remember the other one and it's bugging me.

TofuEater

ChRoNiTe said:
Create a private room in multiplayer then you can add AI cars adjust their difficulty and car type.

You can in multi, you cannot not to my knowledge in split screen

enzo_gt said:
So theres no way to set up matches with AI? Really?

You can setup matches with AI both in free play and multiplayer just that in split screen, you cannot change what car they drive specifically, only what class they are limited to (so the cars they choose are random in the class)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Tashi0106 said:
Anyone else play with notifications turned off? Anytime I get an Achievement or a friend signs on while I'm racing the game drops frames like CRAZY causing me to crash. I turned them off last night and didn't realize I unlocked like 10 achievements.

I've heard about that(also apparently in the demo), but nothing has been happening in my game for that.

Also I'm wondering something, though it might be really obvious--When it says the split time is that referring to the previous lap or the best lap time?

I finally found an A ranked circuit room to race in! but there is now a problem that forza 2 had which carries over to 3... some of the tracks have short cuts, while they null your lap time in multiplayer you find half the pack will use it to either overtake or stay in the lead, major examples are road atlancia's 2nd 3rd corner set, and sebring has one at the sharp hairpin where if you are in a 4wd car you can exit wide, go over the grass and gain grip again on the run-off area, trimming a good second or so.

Che, is it possible that patches can add a small simple tyre wall or cement block on those locations?

As I had no custom A class car I stuck with the stock F40 for my 5 or so races online, and wow it keeps up just as the P.I shows :D

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
BTW, we made some matchmaking hopper optimizations this afternoon so you should start seeing much better multiplayer matchmaking results tonight. Give it a try.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Papercuts said:
I've heard about that(also apparently in the demo), but nothing has been happening in my game for that.

Also I'm wondering something, though it might be really obvious--When it says the split time is that referring to the previous lap or the best lap time?
Your best lap so far in that race.

kinn

Psychotext said:
My Fanatec wheel just shipped.

\o/

My Fanatec stand arrived earlier and I thought it was my wheel.

/o\

LOL. I got an email from them today as well. Also had some UPS delivery too. Dont know what it is since I was on the bog (too much information?).

I'm guessing its the stand. Although the email had a pdf which listed everything.

skyfinch said:
Anyways, I really wish that I can play in chase view (gotten so used to bumper and hood cam). The car, and overall lighting look so good now. I find myself switching to chase cam just before I go into a tunnel.
Same here, I love using the cockpit but I get naughty urges to go into 3rd person and look at dat ass.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
chespace said:
BTW, we made some matchmaking hopper optimizations this afternoon so you should start seeing much better multiplayer matchmaking results tonight. Give it a try.

Oh nice...will do

hie said:
Yeah...I figured it might be some sort of TRC issue.

I used the method here on F2, but for some reason if I start the game with the wheel and switch...the controller won't be #1. If I start with the controller and change to wheel..it works. I could be crazy, because I know it worked for F2...I played for about 6 hours straight yesterday, so it might have been fatigue. :lol

Yeah I had the same problem...signing out first didn't help either.

The really wierd thing is, most of the time the wheel wouldn't even turn off, but whether it did or not, the controller was still #2.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Norante said:
Nope, TV is calibrated to perfection. Forza 3 black levels are off :(

Yes, they are (Pio Kuro plasma here).
Thanks god I can assign a setting specifically to this game, but it's a bit unconvenient since there's only so much you can do without in-game brightness/contrast calibration.
It affects cockpit view at the most, you'll miss all the interiors' details if you don't recalibrate the brightness, but the black are totally crashed with no shadows' details.
Hopefully they'll patch it in the future.

LiK

chespace said:

there was an update when i started up the game today. was that it?

LiK said:
there was an update when i started up the game today. was that it?
Matchmaking adjustments are all behind the scenes, that patch would be for the corrupt save file problems and what ever else they fixed.

Dash Kappei

Meh, the Ferrari Testa - Rossa I don't care for, it's not even the car's official name why would Ferrari allow Forza 3 to call it like that idn.

I wanted the Testarossa (possibily 512M).

Any chance it'll be in future DLC? Don't tell me it is in some kind of limited code shit I can't get anymore...

RayStorm

Senger said:
I believe it remembers which parts you were using as well. I'm not 100% sure but I have a stock tune saved for a STi. After upgrading it a bit, when I tried to load the stock tune it showed that the car would be losing power/gaining weight so I would assume it would put the stock parts back on the car.

In fact you are correct. That's wonderful news for me then. :)

Assembly Required said:
I solved my disc 2 install dilemma by erasing my previous save file/HDD install and then inserted disc 1 and then initiated disc 2 install from there. I lost 3 hrs of playtime...but hey. I do wish I had known about the issue beforehand.

Also, is there a way to search for specific player created content? (vinyls, etc.)

I thought it does tell you to do exactly this when you insert the game? ...

I have not figure out to search for specific person dirrectly, I found Modus by searching for his ZOE design, and from then I used his friend list to find Jube and Che.

Mobius 1

Dash Kappei said:
Yes, they are (Pio Kuro plasma here).
Thanks god I can assign a setting specifically to this game, but it's a bit unconvenient since there's only so much you can do without in-game brightness/contrast calibration.
It affects cockpit view at the most, you'll miss all the interiors' details if you don't recalibrate the brightness, but the black are totally crashed with no shadows' details.
Hopefully they'll patch it in the future.

There you go

Che, fix this shit :D

A brightness adjustment would suffice.

Please.

Dash Kappei

Leaked numbers from Sinobi for Forza 3 in Japan, first week:

06. [360] Forza Motorsport 3 (Microsoft) - 30,000 / NEW

It's almost matching already the LTD of Forza 2 :)

Comparisons:

Forza 2: 31.225 copies LTD.
Forza 2 (Platinum collection) :100.591 LTD (crazy number! Tho we should take into consideration that there was a bundle with the console itself and also a pack-in with VivaP2).

Mr Jared

Is there some sort of template people are following or trick to creating super accurate vinyls? People are pumping out high-quality replicas so fast and so accurate, I refuse to believe it's without some kind of aid ;o

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
user_nat said:
I assume you mean the track which your selected car is shown on in the menu?

Can't be changed.

gah? i coulda sworn that was discussed (at length). only monserrat then?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
chespace said:

Works a lot better, Che. Got into a lobby right away. Finished the first race. No lag whatsoever. Amazing experience. Everyone in the second race got booted but me. So I won :D

Chorazin

I'm sure it's been mentioned a million times, but what the hell do the caution notices you get when you hit another car or go off track actually DO? I'm so confused, the manual is shit, and there isn't anything I can see in game about it. :(

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Chorazin said:
I'm sure it's been mentioned a million times, but what the hell do the caution notices you get when you hit another car or go off track actually DO? I'm so confused, the manual is shit, and there isn't anything I can see in game about it. :(

I think it's just for the leaderboard. So if someone has a "clean" run then they get put higher than someone who went off the track, even if the clean run is slower.

Caddle

Only 2 things I want patched in the game. Make the ai in quick race harder, they are a push over right now and, when I upgrade my car, I want the AI cars to do the same. Do those 2 things and the game would be perfect.

Chrange

Banned
Chorazin said:

The leaderboards are separated into two conditions - clean lap and flagged lap. You can get flagged for drafting, cutting the course, crashing, etc...

Clean laps rank above flagged laps on the leaderboard, even if the flagged lap is faster.

Chorazin

Chrange said:
The leaderboards are separated into two conditions - clean lap and flagged lap. You can get flagged for drafting, cutting the course, crashing, etc...

Clean laps rank above flagged laps on the leaderboard, even if the flagged lap is faster.

Ah, ok. So, it means nothing to me, because I'll never get on the leaderboard anyway. Sweet, I can continue my "Rubbin' is Racin'!" style of play.

DarkJC

Anyone seriously going for leaderboard times anyway isn't doing a clean lap during a race, they're doing a clean lap during a hot lap. I don't even care about my time that much in a race, I'm just looking to beat the other guy. With all the chances for your lap to get tainted in a race due to drafting/computer knocking you/etc. even if you're the cleanest driver in the world I bet it's still rare to avoid the "!"

Chorazin

DarkJC said:
Anyone seriously going for leaderboard times anyway isn't doing a clean lap during a race, they're doing a clean lap during a hot lap. I don't even care about my time that much in a race, I'm just looking to beat the other guy. With all the chances for your lap to get tainted in a race due to drafting/computer knocking you/etc. even if you're the cleanest driver in the world I bet it's still rare to avoid the "!"

I wish it would explain that better. I am having so much more fun now that I know it means nothing.

Doodis

Chorazin said:
Ah, ok. So, it means nothing to me, because I'll never get on the leaderboard anyway. Sweet, I can continue my "Rubbin' is Racin'!" style of play.
Don't sell yourself short. You'll always be on the leaderboard. You just might happen to be near the bottom like me. :D

IJoel

I'm enjoying the game so far. That said, I'm finding the excessive loading (game's copied to the hdd), the revving animation when starting a race and the lack of true camera control when displaying a car extremely annoying.

DarkJC

IJoel said:
I'm enjoying the game so far. That said, I'm finding the excessive loading (game's copied to the hdd), the revving animation when starting a race and the lack of true camera control when displaying a car extremely annoying.

I wouldn't exactly say there's excessive loading. Putting things on the HDD doesn't eliminate the fact that it has to load the entire track for each race. We'd need something a lot faster than a regular laptop hard drive to get rid of that.

cjelly said:
Also, what happened to the 2nd set of Avatar clothes?

I'm sure Che said there would be more at release...

Well there's track t-shirt, didn't these just got released? Or were they there with the first batch, I don't rememeber.

What I want to know is when are we getting the LE theme..

I apologize if this was asked/posted already (just started playing today and LOVING IT :D ), but has anyone figured out some optimal settings for the MS steering wheel?

Also, I find that the Brake is wayyyy too sensitive and I'm not sure which option adjusts that in the menu. They all seem to be about dead zones, and the only brake I saw mentioned was handbrake. Is there some way to do this? Even lightly tapping makes my tires screech. Maybe I'm still a little too aggressive on the pedals, but I'm hoping these can be adjusted.

Tokubetsu

skyfinch said:
My god, this game is so good.

It's sublime. Playing this while Kool & The Gang's "Summer Madness" blares through my headphones is so relaxing. Even with all assists off. Just...zone out.

Top Bottom