• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

FafaFooey

web01 said:
Whats up with the soundtrack for this game it sounds like about the same 10 songs are repeating over and over again.

I noticed that too. I've heard Tick Tick Boom by the Hives over 30 times now..

Rizob

Norante said:
A brightness adjustment would suffice.
It really is a contrast adjustment we need, as the game is plenty bright enough at times to burn my retinas as it is. The problem is that the amount of black crush destroys a lot of the details and making it just brighter will cause other problems.

The game is awesome though, and a great advancement form Forza2. Saying that though, there are a few things that could be fixed-

1) The aformentioned contrast problem
2) The sound crackling and popping at times
3) A sound fadeout at the end of each race, rather than the engine sound just suddenly cutting off to silence (very jarring if you are playing through a sound system)
4) More home space areas would be nice, even if it's just the fictional areas.
5) No one else seems to have mentioned this, but my game will start with a different view in every race, no matter how many times i set it to bumper cam in the options.
6) Free hat.

1 minute into a A class online race and all of a sudden its like every dropped at the same time, now I am on my own o_O

Also the R8 is a beast, probably going to dominate online A class races :/

acm2000

Rizob said:
5) No one else seems to have mentioned this, but my game will start with a different view in every race, no matter how many times i set it to bumper cam in the options.

thats cause it doesnt happen for anyone else :lol so its obviously something youre doing wrong

Leonsito

Hawk xSx said:
Anyone have tips for the 100,000 Drift Lap achievement?

I'm assuming Fujimi Kaido would be best, anything else to try??

I don't have it, but I read some tips, Fujimi Kaido it's the best option, and use a tune config from the store, sort them by drift type and download the one at the top, I downloaded one for the R33 but I still haven't got the car :lol

Rizob

acm2000 said:
thats cause it doesnt happen for anyone else :lol so its obviously something youre doing wrong
:lol Yeah that's kind of what i was getting at, but what can i be doing wrong? Whether i set it in the Profile settings, or the HUD settings before each race, it never remembers it for the next race! I know i keep going on about it, but so would most people if they've had to set it back to bumper cam around 90 times already. It's got to the point where it's the only thing going through my mind after each race, incase i forget to re-adjust it and have to do it whilst accelarating from the start line.

Edit-

http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/ShowThread.aspx?PostID=3136735

It looks like i've found the problem. Going by this post in the official forum, there appears to be a bug where the game will change your view if you look at the leaderboards after each race. This is something i always do as i love to see how i'm doing compared to my friends. I guess not many people on here look at the leaderboards then? :D

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Doodis said:
Picked up my LCE today but still waiting for my E74'd 360 to be repaired. I hate all of you. :(

The theme and Zune livery is coming soon, just not available yet. The airport playground location is explained nine posts up on this page.
Okay, just wondering.

I only had the game for two days so far, and I have 20 achievements. :lol

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
twinturbo2 said:
Okay, just wondering.

I only had the game for two days so far, and I have 20 achievements. :lol

yeah, I've played like 3 hours tops and it's been raining achievements :lol

skyfinch

I was watching the game credits and notice the "car and track modelers" are ALL Vietnamese. I think one of them is my brother from a different mother.

Arjen

What made me kinda laugh:
Played the demo a lot, so i was pretty glad i could play the final game and that i wouldn't be stuck to that damn demo track. Boot up the game, and they make you drive the demo track in the R8:lol

SmokyDave

Still loving this game. 4x4'ed my '09 Focus and dropped an RS200 engine in it, loooovely.

I really wish I could disable the auto-rev and camera sweep from the start of races. It's almost impossible to get a perfect start without being able to see the rev counter and slowly build up the revs.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
RSTEIN said:
yeah, I've played like 3 hours tops and it's been raining achievements :lol
If nothing else, it serves as a good motivator. I collected 21 achievements in Forza 2, and I'm close to matching it with Forza 3. :lol

Kordos

TheLegendary said:
I apologize if this was asked/posted already (just started playing today and LOVING IT :D ), but has anyone figured out some optimal settings for the MS steering wheel?

Also, I find that the Brake is wayyyy too sensitive and I'm not sure which option adjusts that in the menu. They all seem to be about dead zones, and the only brake I saw mentioned was handbrake. Is there some way to do this? Even lightly tapping makes my tires screech. Maybe I'm still a little too aggressive on the pedals, but I'm hoping these can be adjusted.

I think the preferred approach is to lower brake pressure in the tuning menu. This has the effect of making the brake pedal less sensitive.

skyfinch

Arjen said:
What made me kinda laugh:
Played the demo a lot, so i was pretty glad i could play the final game and that i wouldn't be stuck to that damn demo track. Boot up the game, and they make you drive the demo track in the R8:lol

Yep, but I haven't seen it since. 8 hours in and still haven't seen that demo layout.

Falagard

Fender_Uk said:
online is a fucking joke btw

I beg to differ. I played online for about 2 hours yesterday with some really cool dudes, in A class. I added 3 people to my friends list, for example.

Limited amount of time between races meant less waiting for people to choose cars, etc. You had 1 minute (or whatever it is) and that's it. No waiting for people to ready up.

It seemed to match up people pretty well based on ping or location and skill level. The people I played with were mostly from Canada, as am I, and were about the same league as I am.

So I've been having a good time, at least.

So far I'm absolutely loving this game. It hasn't completely blown me away, but it's a huge step up from Forza 2 and the giant amount of content is brilliant for me as I apparently have months until GT5 hits. I especially like how streamlined the whole season mode is - I keep hopping from one race to another, and before I know it it's three hours later. :lol

The loading times are pretty horrendous, though. I love how pretty it all is and 60fps is utter sex, but I get very bored waiting for that long. If it weren't for podcasts I listen to as I play it would be a big issue for me, I think.

When online works it's great, still idiots online but they leave after a race or two and in the end the room stays full with good drivers, just takes a few races to weed out the stupid.

I just finished spending a few hours painting and tuning my beemer for A class, handles like a knife and has plenty of grip, but I can't seem to upload any photos. Will check later on tonight when I play more.

Kordos

I can't really fathom why there are still no playlists below A-class.

Could we at least get a B-class playlist? Throw a dog a bone.

Not having F-B class hoppers online is pretty stupid.

I mean think about it: People just bought the game, meaning they're just starting to go through the career mode. For the first 10 hours or so you're really driving with F-A class cars, that's what you've modded/tuned/experienced. And then you hop online and you're limited to choosing classes of cars you have no experience with? It makes no sense.

Also, when you hover over the selections and see '200' people... don't know why the number is so low. Even 6 months after release Halo Wars had 10K people playing at any one time.

Hawk SE

Omar Ismail said:

I mean think about it: People just bought the game, meaning they're just starting to go through the career mode. For the first 10 hours or so you're really driving with F-A class cars, that's what you've modded/tuned/experienced. And then you hop online and you're limited to choosing classes of cars you have no experience with? It makes no sense.

Also, when you hover over the selections and see '200' people... don't know why the number is so low. Even 6 months after release Halo Wars had 10K people playing at any one time.

I don't really like to play online unless it's with friends.

The career for now is satisifying enough.

Kordos

Omar Ismail said:

Quite right. The single player game is built around accessibility and easing the player into new experiences. The multiplayer team must not have gotten the memo.

Psychotext said:
Surely it can't be too much effort to put them in?

Surely you're right -- Che has said as much -- which makes it all the more unfathomable why it hasn't been done yet.

Xamdou

Is there online career mode?

+1 to B-Class playlist, my favorite playlist. But Turn10 might as well add F-A just since it was offered in Forza 2 just like the other Gaffers said.

Iknos

Kordos said:
I think the preferred approach is to lower brake pressure in the tuning menu. This has the effect of making the brake pedal less sensitive.

My impression is that this is all because the range of motion in the MS wheel brake pedal is rather small.

To change brake pressure I'm fairly certain that you can't do it with stock brakes.

I try not to upgrade my brakes for anything less than B class so I can get the most HP out of my PI. I've simply gotten used to the low range of motion and I can brake well consistently after I've realized that it's just the pedal with it's low range of motion.

Some random thoughts from some random play with the game when my 360 doesn't freeze on me. BTW I know I should be sending it in for repairs but I want to get a good taste for the game until then. And besides if I play enough it might finally give me some red lights.

Random topic 1: AI Difficulty
For the most part I like the AI. Quite aware of you and your driving habits. There have been some recently released sim racers where the AI is all too happy to rear end me when I brake early. I've seen some last second braking and maneuvering to avoid me in FM3 and I can't recall seeing that in FM2.

The gap between Medium and Hard AI difficulty has been mentioned quite a few times in some posts here and in reviews. The difficulty settings feel a bit odd because when I play on Medium I can drive rather sloppily and get 1st. I can be downright lazy or ultra conservative in my speeds and I'll get first. And I'm not that great of a racer at all.

Bump up the difficulty to hard and you have to nail most corners know the track very well. Which is great. It's a great experience because you have to keep mistakes to an absolute minimum. That and tune/upgrade your car to be the best it can for that track.

Ideally there would be a difficulty that sits between the two. If there was such a difficulty I'd most likely use it especially for the new tracks. I started out on medium and then bumped it up to hard because I was winning races on tracks I've never played before. When I'm on hard I can do well on tracks I know but end up near last if not last on tracks new to me. Next time I play Almalfi coast I'd like to play against medium-hard AI because Medium won't provide a challenge and Hard means I'm last. I know...I should restart and learn the track. Maybe I'm just getting lazy and want to earn credits/XP faster at this point.

But playing FM2 tracks in FM3 on Hard is a great experience. Playing the same tracks found in the previous version really demonstrate how far ahead this game is in terms of it's physics. Or at the very least how profound some necessary changes like a lower center of gravity and a feeling of more weight to the cars has helped make this a more realistic experience.

Not too concerned about this difficulty thing. Just saying that I can see where the reviews were coming from when they mentioned it. Plan to put in the time to learn the new tracks. But some people may find medium too easy and then hard too difficult and not consider that with a bit more practice they can actually compete on hard.

Anyone here try to use the USB key? Noticed that the lid/cover is hard to take off which means this is ideal for putting on your own keychain. Which is quite useful.

I can think of a decently sized list of "stuff I'd like to see in a patch" but if I post it people would think I'm focusing on the negative which at this point I might be because I'm looking at the game with a critical eye. But I'm having a ton of fun when my 360 cooperates and lets me play.

With any game there are stuff that could be polished and improved and usually this is stuff the developer is well aware of. My list wouldn't include that stuff but rather things that were decided and purposefully implemented by the dev team. Stuff like the pre-race countdown and the ability to roll your car back when it's been flipped. I can see why both of those things were included but I think a balance could have been achieved if you get what I mean.

Didn't want to get into this now but I'll give an example. That pre-race countdown was likely done in that manner because they want to have an exciting and stimulating pre-race countdown. Part of this are the various camera angles and part of this is the sound of engines revving. So you got the first 2 seconds that is CPU controlled and then you have that last second for yourself.

But I think there could have been a tweak made to achieve that sort of stimulation AND allow racers to rev up the engines themselves. If the countdown was effectively from 5 to GO you could have the same sequence start at 5 at the same tempo but with no explicit countdown until it gets to 3. So the first 2 seconds are the CPU controlled revving with the camera changing at the same tempo and then it goes to the race view with 3...2...1..GO.

I think in some ways this is more exciting because you sit in your cockpit view for a good 3 seconds and it's like a calm before a storm. Of course at that time you're concentrating on having a good start and feathering your gas pedal.

This isn't a polish issue this was obviously a decision made long ago and implemented with deliberation. But it's a poor decision and reflects poorly on the people who decided it was a good idea. Those few seconds are critical to your start and your start is critical to the outcome of a race. And this being a racing game you'd think that this idea wouldn't have gained any traction in board meetings. In the end gameplay was sacrificed to add "flair" to the game maybe to appease casual players. Maybe someone at T10 didn't consider the pre-race countdown as being part of gameplay...which is a scary notion. Anyways what I am saying is that you can have both...with the solution I just wrote about.

I brought this example up to show that I'm not here to just blast the game and reiterate common complaints but give some constructive feedback with solutions. It's sort of a disclaimer because I might go on a streak of mentioning things I'd like to see fixed rather than mentioning the good aspects of the game.

Expect sporadic long posts like this from me when my 360 isn't cooperating. When it does I start playing the game for long long sessions.

Yeah it's a bit shocking to only see A-S and R classes but I would think most people are sticking to offline until they can make a good car, still seems low I would expect thousands online or something.

I would love to see a class limit for the road track playlist, having it open to any class means everyone goes R1 or Veyron :lol

I played drag online yesterday too and it felt a bit random, shame there is no real knockout chart or something... and saying that I miss the tourneys forza 2 has, those were great.

Chorazin

Whoa whoa whoa. If I go online to play random races I have only two options: race A-Class and higher or not race at all? Wow. I was gonna go online tonight but I guess that's gonna have to wait. :(

rise888

I need some help on ideas for a $50k budget drag car.

I think it's going to have to be awd since I'm having lots of trouble getting power to the ground with a high powered rwd car. Whats the cheapest awd car in the game?

blanky

rise888 said:
I need some help on ideas for a $50k budget drag car.

I think it's going to have to be awd since I'm having lots of trouble getting power to the ground with a high powered rwd car. Whats the cheapest awd car in the game?

Your best bet would be a subaru I think. don't know any other brand that carries awd stock cheap.

ShapeGSX

Diablohead said:
I played drag online yesterday too and it felt a bit random, shame there is no real knockout chart or something... and saying that I miss the tourneys forza 2 has, those were great.

Apparently the tournaments are coming. The Forza 3 XBox site says they are in the game. And I've seen a Turn 10 rep say that they were coming.

I think that the drag racing will work best with a group of friends in a Party. Set up some limitations, like "pick a C class car, you can only spend $50k, you have 5 minutes, GO!" Then after 5 minutes, invite everyone into the drag strip and see who came out on top.

But just drag racing without class limitations? People are just going to eventually find the best car and setup to dominate. Not a lot of fun, there.

I do like the drag racing heat setup, however.

Manic D

I made a movie & when making clips using the in-car view, there is no engine sound. (you can hear the environmental sound effects though) Is this a known glitch?

Fender_Uk said:
online is a fucking joke btw

2hwg1s5.jpg

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Fanatec update!

After some delays in customs we finally started to send the pre-june orders by USPS to US and Canadian customers. EU orders will be shipped tomorrow (29.10.) if there are no further delays. Please note that you will notget any tracking numbers.

There are some issues with the pedal adapter cables but we are working on solving these issues quickly.

The first containers for sea shipment (post June orders) will leave China this week as well according to the current production plan.It will take between 3-4 weeks to arrive in the distribution centers and another week to be delivered to you if everything goes perfect.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Psychotext said:
Bah, was really hoping for mine to arrive in November. Not looking like much chance of that now.
There's a chance of it coming in the last week of November. Best case is it takes 3 weeks to get to California, then a few days to get to me since I live in the state.

Online there is a shadow glitch, sometimes the car in front has no dynamic shadow and all of a sudden it appears, then goes again, then appears! like a LOD thing.

chico

Psychotext said:
Bah, was really hoping for mine to arrive in November. Not looking like much chance of that now.

but my wheelstand arrived today. hooray!!! now i have a wheelstand without a wheel... thats torture!

AMUSIX

RayStorm said:
Is anyone else noticing a bug with the rewind feature? There are times, and I have yet to see a pattern to it, where it can't be activated. Any mind you, I'm not talking about the seconds after the race start (which I don't quite understand either, but anyway).
The rewind won't work in two areas.
1. Just after you start the race. You can't rewind to the start line, but you can come close. Might have something to do with the AI during launch.
2. If it's too close to the end of the race. If your or any AI are about to cross (or have crossed) the finish line, you can no longer rewind.

Not sure if people are seeing rewind go away other than these times.

Jube3 said:
updated the online list
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=18259989#post18259989

If you need people to play lots of gaffers on that list.

I've gone ahead and made a 'forzagaf' silver account.
Send the account a friend request and I'll approve pretty quickly.

So people can add themselves to this list, and we'll do the friends of a friend method. Works out great for Street Fighter and other games. Take note that I'll be managing this list pretty actively, so if after a couple of weeks people aren't online/playing much anymore I'll be removing them.

RayStorm

AMUSIX said:
The rewind won't work in two areas.
1. Just after you start the race. You can't rewind to the start line, but you can come close. Might have something to do with the AI during launch.
2. If it's too close to the end of the race. If your or any AI are about to cross (or have crossed) the finish line, you can no longer rewind.

Not sure if people are seeing rewind go away other than these times.

As I mentioned before, it happened to me in situations where I'm fairly certain that neither condition was reached.

And btw: I don't understand why it's impossible to rewind then either.

Top Bottom