• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

Tokubetsu

Can't put this shit down. Jube got me to play with all assists off and now im fucking hooked. Drifting and shit, drag racing. Every god damn thing. Forza 3 started as a slow burn but now? Fuuuu

skyfinch

Spaceman Spiff said:
This damn game has me completely addicted. I've had just a few hours' sleep for the last two nights, and while I regret it during the day, FM3 is so fucking good that I just can't stop.

I'm up to level 35 now, and the FXX you are gifted is a fucking beast. It just destroys all comers in R3.

Just got the FXX as well. Tried to make friends with a the Veyron by introducing it to some corners but it didn't want to play for long. :lol FXX is a monster. Scared the Veyron away.

Tipping my hat to Turn 10 again. Played through Uncharted 2, but Forza 3 is my GOTY.

Iknos

Rizob said:
It looks like i've found the problem. Going by this post in the official forum, there appears to be a bug where the game will change your view if you look at the leaderboards after each race. This is something i always do as i love to see how i'm doing compared to my friends. I guess not many people on here look at the leaderboards then? :D

Yeah when you press X to change leaderboard screens you also swap views at the same time as that is the button to change views in the game.

When you go back to the "top leaders" filter it takes you back to the view you are using. That could be why few noticed. I typically cycle through all the leaderboards and go back to that first one which ultimately takes me back to the view I was using.

Xamdou said:
I wonder what happend to the drivatars, highly talked about feature in the first 2 games now completely gone now?

I had the impression that they are still used in the form of the AI drivers we face. In the "tips" section of the loading screen you sometimes get the tenancies of these AI drivers and those tenancies were IIRC things that Drivatars took into account. Could be wrong.

Butane123

Game rocks, that's all I can say about it.

Finally started painting again, which is a mistake since that's all I did for the first 3 months when Forza 2 came out.

BlinkGT said:
I won't play online as much time as i did in Forza 2, i think. :/
Sorry for complaining but i'm so disappointed, actually.

Lvl 45, by the way. :D

I already play more on-line than Forza 2 at this stage, while it has it fauts, the hopper is nice for quick fix (please add the rest of the class to the race T10). There's no more picking the room and the host decide that last second he is going to switch the car class to U or random non-sense. You go in knowing what to expect.

There's still however ramdom ass that ram you and spin you out but that the price of playing in public playground.

chixdiggit said:
I would like more opinions on this as well. I had the wheel for Forza 2, had fun with it but the controller was so much easier to use. Now I hear that the wheel works better with Forza 3.

Controller is still easier, but wheel is a lot more FUN.

Dina

Can't say I've fallen in love with drag and drift, btw. My Xbox spends more time loading then actually drag-racing.

I'd like to see more variety in circuit racing next time. Like team races (team a vs b, or team a vs b, c and d), forced pitstopping once every race (toca had this, was pretty tactical) or dual-class races (class a and class c on the same track).

Brakara

Jonsoncao said:
holy shit...first time logging into this game and leaderboard already near 500k ppl?

Oct NPD should be interesting :lol

For reference, on Monday the leaderboards had around 265k people. How do retail leaderboards numbers compare to actual sales figures though? I know XBLA games have, in general, sold fewer copies than the leaderboards indicate. But I would guess retail games will have lots of people who aren't online.

I am getting a bad feeling about this day.

First off, reading your enthusiastic replies is making my stomach ache.

Secondly, it is 11:40 AM, and I still haven't heard a clunk ( a sound which the game hitting the mailbox would produce )...

It seems plausible that I will have yet another Forza-less weekend. Ah well. Fortunately I still have Uncharted 2 to finish.

Chipy Brady

Neo Member
Is it worth putting a lot of cash into my starting car? I picked the Fiesta. Should I ditch it as soon as I can (or can it be turned into a monster)? I have about 26k and recently got a 4WD Alfa for reaching level 2, so I'm thinking of putting the cash into that one instead.

DarkJC

Chipy Brady said:
Is it worth putting a lot of cash into my starting car? I picked the Fiesta. Should I ditch it as soon as I can (or can it be turned into a monster)? I have about 26k and recently got a 4WD Alfa for reaching level 2, so I'm thinking of putting the cash into that one instead.

Essentially, use what you like. You'll be getting a car each time you level up, so in a short time you'll have a bunch of pretty good cars in your garage. Don't worry about saving up money to buy a new one (unless you have your eye on something), upgrade what you have if thats what you're going to use in the next event.

I picked the Fiesta as a starting car too. Haven't used it since I got something else, personally.

ShapeGSX

Truelize said:
Am I the only one that is finding that all the cars drive pretty much the same perfect line?

Maybe it's because I'm still early in my season play but it seems that the cars (especially the lead two or three) drive exactly the same lines. Like they all brake at the same time, for the same amount of time, hold their turns for the same length etc...

They seem to do that when there is no other car around. But last night I saw a car smoking as the result of a wreck that I was absolutely no part of. I was way out in front. The two AI cars slammed into one another.

They are very good at avoiding you in most cases, though. And once you aggravate them enough, they will even do crazy stuff like brake check you (also had that happen last night).

I'm really impressed with the AI on hard.

Right, my M3 after tons of tuning just can't equal the S5's, but I can keep up with the R8's now and even outbreak them in corners :D

Time to make a powerhouse for A class, this time I think a Merc instead of a bmw.

LCfiner

I was playing on easy for the first couple races and, in one race, within the first lap, the 2 cars ahead of me both flipped the fuck over in the corners.

They make a lot of mistakes on easy. it's comical, really.

Anyway, been playing on medium for a few days now and I'm OK at that level for now. Will take more practice before I can compete on hard.

Chipy Brady

Neo Member
DarkJC said:
Essentially, use what you like. You'll be getting a car each time you level up, so in a short time you'll have a bunch of pretty good cars in your garage. Don't worry about saving up money to buy a new one (unless you have your eye on something), upgrade what you have if thats what you're going to use in the next event.

I picked the Fiesta as a starting car too. Haven't used it since I got something else, personally.

Nice. Thanks for the input. Think I might stick with the Fiesta for now. I've put a bit of cash into it & I like the bonuses you get for leveling up the car.

Lé Blade Runner said:
I am getting a bad feeling about this day.

First off, reading your enthusiastic replies is making my stomach ache.

Secondly, it is 11:40 AM, and I still haven't heard a clunk ( a sound which the game hitting the mailbox would produce )...

It seems plausible that I will have yet another Forza-less weekend. Ah well. Fortunately I still have Uncharted 2 to finish.
Buy it from a store. Keep the receipt. Return the copy that was shipped to you.

Chorazin

antiquegamer said:
Controller is still easier, but wheel is a lot more FUN.

I totally disagree. I bought the wheel when it first came out, and every time a new racer comes out, I forget how much I HATE playing with the wheel and give it a try. Man, it's just not fun to me to fight against the wheel. Not to mention when you use Rewind, it also REWINDS THE FUCKING WHEEL. And it's not gentle either, it's a violent recreation of how you drove during the Rewind period.

Arjen

Chorazin said:
Not to mention when you use Rewind, it also REWINDS THE FUCKING WHEEL. And it's not gentle either, it's a violent recreation of how you drove during the Rewind period.

Yeah, that is really annoying.

Chorazin said:
I totally disagree. I bought the wheel when it first came out, and every time a new racer comes out, I forget how much I HATE playing with the wheel and give it a try. Man, it's just not fun to me to fight against the wheel. Not to mention when you use Rewind, it also REWINDS THE FUCKING WHEEL. And it's not gentle either, it's a violent recreation of how you drove during the Rewind period.

I used to feel that way, until I was able to mount my wheel to a stand (Fanatec stand in this case). Now I can't play without using the wheel, I might not make me the best racer but I have tons of fun with it.

I rather enjoy wachting the wheel move when I rewind...

This may have been covered...but in paint, is there an option for Matte colors? I grabbed a few different Carbon Fiber patterns off the storefront, still looking for a decent patter that doesn't use 500 layers...

Chorazin said:
Not to mention when you use Rewind, it also REWINDS THE FUCKING WHEEL. And it's not gentle either, it's a violent recreation of how you drove during the Rewind period.

:lol Hilarious. I was just picturing pressing the back button and then letting go of the wheel like its possessed. WTF!? :lol

Anyway, guess I'll pass on the wheel, unless I see a smokin' deal on the MS version.

Learning the hard way that a pig is a pig no matter how many thousands you invest in lipstick. :lol My Focus hasn't won a race, despite soul-sucking tuning expense, while the lightly-modified Vauxhall and Lotus are winning everything.

Is it me or has the in-game economy become more expensive?

Rizob

Iknos said:
Yeah when you press X to change leaderboard screens you also swap views at the same time as that is the button to change views in the game.

When you go back to the "top leaders" filter it takes you back to the view you are using. That could be why few noticed. I typically cycle through all the leaderboards and go back to that first one which ultimately takes me back to the view I was using.
Ah, thanks for that. I can go back to checking the leaderboards after each race then, but will just make sure to leave it on the 'Top Leaders' filter when i exit.

h3ro

Is the amount of XP we get per race dependent on the PI or difficulty we use for the race, or is it a set amount per race?

Any news on when the FM.net leaderboard integration will go live?

I'm itching for some hotlap tourneys. Omar Ismail, interested in managing them with your "forzagaf" silver account?

Kordos

Diablohead said:
Right, my M3 after tons of tuning just can't equal the S5's, but I can keep up with the R8's now and even outbreak them in corners :D

Time to make a powerhouse for A class, this time I think a Merc instead of a bmw.

That's how it was in FM2 also - AWD is just insurmountable in A-class because:

* It's more stable in the turn 1 bumper cars
* You can get on the gas at the apex without losing traction

RWD takes much more skill, but sadly just isn't competitive in A unless you have mostly RWD (and clean racers) in the room.

I wonder if it's as bad in the lower classes... I remember having lots of success with RWD in FM2 C-Class.

Brakara, I bought that Mondrian M5 design, which brings it up to a total of FIVE downloaded. :lol

I figured that dude's time was worth 1,000cr.

Anyone else obsessively upgrade cars to the point of having every conceivable upgrade option available for that car so it can race in like 3 or 4 different classes? Not that I would waste my time and hundreds of thousands of credits doing this, no siree, not me... :lol But if I did, I would call it Forza OCD.

LCfiner

DeuceMojo said:
Brakara, I bought that Mondrian M5 design, which brings it up to a total of FIVE downloaded. :lol

Anyone else obsessively upgrade cars to the point of having every conceivable upgrade option available for that car so it can race in like 3 or 4 different classes? Not that I would waste my time and hundreds of thousands of credits doing this, no siree, not me... :lol But if I did, I would call it Forza OCD.

Not quite, no. but I do like driving that 1993 (?) M3 coupe a lot so I have it set up for B, C and D class events.

kazinova

2600 said:
I decided to use the clutch all the time. I asked a bit earlier in the thread if anyone had some basic pointers on the ideal use of the clutch. I'm still still trying to work out if it's best to let off the gas at all, how long to hold in the clutch, etc. I mean in terms of what's ideal for getting the smoothest/fastest gear change. It seems like my car makes a bit of grinding noise almost every time, so it may mean I've not got the method down yet. I switched the clutch to the A button too (I'm using the controller).

I think I read somewhere that the fastest gear-switching times you'll be able to achieve will be when using the manual clutch. So in the long run I'm thinking it may be worth it.

Put the clutch on a shoulder button, i'm thinking of using RB instead of LB.

Clutch gear change procedure:.

Upshifting
Lift off gas while simultaneously hitting clutch.
Keep holding clutch and press the gear change up.
Release clutch and simultaneously press gas.

Downshifting
Hold brake (to slow down)
In one smooth set of inputs, hold clutch, blip throttle and downshift, let go of clutch.
(You'll repeat this in rapid succession going into a corner)

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
The Peugot is pretty good for drifting actually :lol Getting that beast around corners is a challenge. I usually end up doing a slide for the tighter turns. If you turn a little late - even if braking hard - it's a struggle to actually get the damn thing to point the direction you want it to go. It feels like a bus most of the time. But man, using the hood came is so thrilling. Coming off the speeds it gets to knowing that the next turn could kill you is a rush :D

Brakara

DeuceMojo said:

Heh, yeah I guess it's well hidden. You can probably help him out by rating it though.

kazinova said:
Put the clutch on a shoulder button, i'm thinking of using RB instead of LB.

Clutch gear change procedure:

I know this looks crazy to most racers, but I've got my controller set to setup 12, which is throttle and brake set to right stick up/down, clutch as left trigger, up and down shifting set to right and left shoulder buttons.

You can imagine that releasing right stick, pulling left trigger, pressing shoulder button, releasing left trigger, then resuming throttle is a process, so I just don't ever let go of the throttle (unless I happen to be braking.)

With a decent transmission and clutch, I can speed shift (keeping throttle on max during the shift) and barely notice. Otherwise it sounds weird, but doesn't wreck the transmission.

I am surprised honestly that T10 didn't allow for completely customizable controller mapping a la DiRT 2. But whatevs, it's pretty close to what I need.

I'd love to post more but my week is occupied entertaining a guest and traveling yet every min I get at home, I find way to turn on my 360 for Forza 3. It's that good....

Che please fix the audi's they accel better, they are quicker and turn better then all the other cars, you can tell they been boosted somehow. give them +20PI or something, please they are ruining online A class so much :/

Use it or lose it.

*edit* in fact all 4wd cars seem to dominate, makes real wheel sort of useless right now.

m0dus said:
Che's not a programmer. Just a head's up ;-)
Yeah but he can go poke the coders or something since he works for turn10

h3ro

m0dus said:
Che's not a programmer. Just a head's up ;-)

I want to match the blue/green you used for the Advan wheels on the ZOE car but can't get the right mix. What color did you use? (I guess the easiest way is going by row and column?)

Another corny request. I'd love to get the Spinal Column design you made with a white background (maybe a creamish-yellow Bone Marrow type color). I'd really appreciate it as it fits really well with my line of work. :D

Let me know if you need me to send anything your way (loaner car, etc.)

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
h3ro said:
Is the amount of XP we get per race dependent on the PI or difficulty we use for the race, or is it a set amount per race?

It's set by distance driven and time.

Still waiting on F3 to get to me from stupid Best Buy. Every day when I get the mail it is accompanied by crushing disappointment that it has not arrived yet.

And now they sent me the preorder code for the Audi R8. Why, oh why, do you taunt me so Best Buy?

Can LCE exlusive cars be bought or sold (or gifted) at the Auction House?

Like many others I am trying to stay away from buying LE games. Especially those that withhold gaming content.

imtehman

Banned
kirbybreezy said:
Can LCE exlusive cars be bought or sold (or gifted) at the Auction House?

Like many others I am trying to stay away from buying LE games. Especially those that withhold gaming content that was probably in the original version but removed to beef up the LE

fixed

Gear ratios of the stock R33 GTR is garbage. Gears are too tall so it kinda stops accelerating at 3rd gear around 100 mph. buying a race transmission to adjust gear ratios help but I prefer keeping things in F-B class cars at "Sport" modifications.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I think I showed up to the Skyline series a little... overpowered. :lol

4058508759_86532822f6_o.jpg

Top Bottom