• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
McBacon said:
Oh my gosh. They weren't joking when they said its for racing sim dudes only.

That's what I do in every other game on the planet! :(
Well, every other game is allowing you to get away with a cardinal sin in racing. You cannot brake and turn at the same time, unless if you either 1: Are an insane driver, or 2: An insane F1 driver.

Either way, using the wheel to learn the game is BAD, it has taken me the best part of a week to get good with the thing and I love sim racers, the controller makes the game much easier and I recommend you learn the game with that first.

As for the implication that this game is for "sim racers only", that couldn't be further from the truth. While at its heart beats a Sim racer at its core, Forza 3 is very new player friendly, get those assist on, learn your limits and take off only what you're comfortable with.

Che,

How hard will it be for Turn 10 to patch brake markers into Catalunya and Silverstone? Some of the braking points on those tracks lack any sort of brake markers or have very poor reference points for braking. Having a tough time turning clean consistent laps in those tracks.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
cjelly said:
Turning on the braking line will help no end, and get you used to it.
This too, The key to good times in Forza (Both on the clock and enjoyment wise) is to know your limits, the cars limits, and to push only when you have the confidence to do so.

Starting using the wheel is a brave step, because the handling model is much more difficult (yet so much more rewarding) but the principals are the same; brake early, slow in, fast out of corners, use as much of the track as possible as the straighter the car, the better traction you get AND the faster you can go around corners.

If anyone is struggling with the game, I strongly recommend they go to Free Play, hit up hot lap mode and practice with a few cars. Get a feel for each class, a feel for the tracks and your capabilities in your own time, without the worries of limited laps and competition around you.

Jube3

h3ro said:
I can't even imagine the amount of Credits him and m0dus have piling up. :lol

Can't wait to get those pre-order cars, I'm holding off picking up the Audi DTM car because I really want the Zune liveried one!

Yea the zune one looks slick cant wait to whip that one around. The storefront is awesome, Im at almost 20 million credits :D Im just saving it until i get to level 50. Theres some cars I want but theyre like 2 million. Money goes quick in forza lol.

ShapeGSX

McBacon said:
Oh my gosh. They weren't joking when they said its for racing sim dudes only.

That's what I do in every other game on the planet! :(

Turn on the racing line. When you get to the yellow/red part, hit the brake.

If that doesn't work, turn on autobrake just so you can get used to where you have to start slowing down.

I just can't stop playing this. I really like the new season mode, seems so much less restrictive as far as forcing you down a set, linear progression through the classes. I can go back and forth between classes or stick with a car/class I like and still have events until I feel comfortable. I'm still switching between hood and cockpit view trying to decided what I like best. I picked up some of Jube and M0dus' awesome vinyls, great work guys. Can't wait to see more. Tried out MP last night, but I'm still using lower tiers for now so I will wait until they get the new hoppers up.

My favorite cars so far have been the Silvia spec-r and Supra RZ (awesome C class ride). I just splurged and bought an F40 last night for my first A class car.

I want a Fanatec wheel so bad now, I hadn't really considered getting one but I can tell this game would play so sweet with it.

Brakara

I normally play with TCS and STM off, but that didn't exactly work out for me in my first R3 race (first Sunday event in Season 4). That Holden #2 Commodore was a beast, and I ended up last, while being slower than an F class car. So turning on those options for R3 races is a must for me.

But at least I got that Holden cheap at the Auction House (100k vs. 300k in-game). That was a life saver since I didn't have any R3 cars (not even any S cars), and I only had a small amount of credits. Yeah, I'm spending way too much credits on the storefront.

Speaking of which, it would be awesome if it had been possible to test drive tunings up for sale on the storefront. Now, you're pretty much buying on pure faith. I mean, there's ratings but it's difficult to know what's the best tuning for you. That 10k for the tuning isn't the main problem, but buying all the parts and finding out you didn't like it is.

Also, why are the difficulty options not available during a test drive? It's crazy that you have to return to the main menu, adjust the options, and then restart the test drive just to change the them.

punkypine

i wish there was a master menu that you could access at any time to change your car, so if you wanted to compare how much it woudl cost to tune 2 cars or look at the benchmarks of 2 cars and compare, or even change the color of 2 cars, you dont always have to return to the main menu, change, and then go back to where you were

especially since loading screens pop up after like every little thing

ExtraKr1spy said:
Che,

How hard will it be for Turn 10 to patch brake markers into Catalunya and Silverstone? Some of the braking points on those tracks lack any sort of brake markers or have very poor reference points for braking. Having a tough time turning clean consistent laps in those tracks.
Are you trying to hot lap with the racing line on?

I cannot word what I am thinking right now. Personally that line is great at first but nothing beats learning the corners yourself, I don't think i've even turned the line on yet at all in forza 3.

Diablohead said:
Are you trying to hot lap with the racing line on?

I cannot word what I am thinking right now. Personally that line is great at first but nothing beats learning the corners yourself, I don't think i've even turned the line on yet at all in forza 3.

I play with the line off.

What I meant was those numbers on the side of the track that you see(1/2/3/4/5 or 100/200/etc) on the track that tells you how close you are to the upcoming corner

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/...b/Monza/italiangrandprix_monza_2005_start.jpg

Ive gotten the tracks memorized but different cars have different braking capabilities so I usually overshoot braking into the corner or end up braking way too early.

dejay

Banned
ExtraKr1spy said:
I play with the line off.

What I meant was those numbers on the side of the track that you see(1/2/3/4/5 or 100/200/etc) on the track that tells you how close you are to the upcoming corner

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/...b/Monza/italiangrandprix_monza_2005_start.jpg

Ive gotten the tracks memorized but different cars have different braking capabilities so I usually overshoot braking into the corner or end up braking way too early.

I know what you're saying, I have the same difficulties in Silverstone due to some of the corners being almost invisible until you're on top of them, but the real world tracks are meant to be true to life - they're not going to put in indicator signs that aren't there in real life.

kazinova said:
Put the clutch on a shoulder button, i'm thinking of using RB instead of LB.

Clutch gear change procedure:.

Upshifting
Lift off gas while simultaneously hitting clutch.
Keep holding clutch and press the gear change up.
Release clutch and simultaneously press gas.

Downshifting
Hold brake (to slow down)
In one smooth set of inputs, hold clutch, blip throttle and downshift, let go of clutch.
(You'll repeat this in rapid succession going into a corner)

Thanks. I started letting up on the gas more concsiously, and I'm getting some pretty fast gear changes.

Fuck this. I can't get my 360 to recognize disc 2 and judging from various formus it looks like I'm not the only one out there with this problem. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Forza five times now and I'm still coming up with the "incorrect disc" error. Seems like there's quite a few bad copies of Forza 3 out there with corrupt install discs.

Anyone want to play some Circuit A class hopper tonight? can't use headset this late but will be nice to bunch up with some gaffers for a bit.

ecnal said:
what's up with the s204?

why is the car in the game and available for the AI but unavailable for players?
I think it's a unicorn car, like how the old 4.2 R8 is in the game also but not to buy (I think, would have to double check)

Tabs

Rastex, Flo, sorry about last night. I was still working on getting my cockpit setup with audio and all that. I didn't have anyway to chat. I also just started, so I wasn't much competition in those stock cars :p My wheel, shifter and everything are hard mounted as of this morning, and I have a decent C class G35. I'll hook up with you guys again soon.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Diablohead said:
Anyone want to play some Circuit A class hopper tonight? can't use headset this late but will be nice to bunch up with some gaffers for a bit.

I think it's a unicorn car, like how the old 4.2 R8 is in the game also but not to buy (I think, would have to double check)

Pretty sure you can buy the 4.3 R8. Like four different versions of it at that :lol

This game is so effing awesome and I'm only level 13. The graphics oh my..

ecnal

Diablohead said:

what's a unicorn car?

and what's the point of having it in the game but unavailable to the player?

Gram Negative Cocci said:
Fuck this. I can't get my 360 to recognize disc 2 and judging from various formus it looks like I'm not the only one out there with this problem. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Forza five times now and I'm still coming up with the "incorrect disc" error. Seems like there's quite a few bad copies of Forza 3 out there with corrupt install discs.

did you install both discs first?

try putting the 1st disc first, then wait to be asked if you want to install the 2nd disc then say yes... put in the 2nd disc and press yes, wait for it to finish installing, then go back to the dashboard and install 1st disc....

blanky

ecnal said:
what's a unicorn car?

and what's the point of having it in the game but unavailable to the player?

They're for competitions mostly, like areal prize. And for a high money on auction house.

soujiro_seta said:
did you install both discs first?

try putting the 1st disc first, then wait to be asked if you want to install the 2nd disc then say yes... put in the 2nd disc and press yes, wait for it to finish installing, then go back to the dashboard and install 1st disc....

Tried that twice already. There's something wrong with the disc itself. People have had the same issue I've had and they returned the game for another copy and it worked just fine.

I'll have to wait at least until tomorrow before I can go back there to exchange it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
cjelly said:
Wait till you get the FXX. So fun. :D
:O
First car I will buy will be the Enzo though. Isn't the FXX a reward car? I don't want to buy it early so that I'm left with two beasts to deal with.

Anyone else notice the Auction house is full of people trying to scam noobs by selling cars your going to win as rewards anyways?

I assume the race cars without the functioning HUD's/dash/instruments are because the racing teams don't what to give away any secrets?

the GTR's isnt functioning but the cockpit view on it is pretty damn shitty though.

Brakara

Tashi0106 said:
I posted the tune setup Brakara. 1000 cr. Hope it works out for you like it has for me.

Yeah, just tried it. And although I play with ABS on, it handles much better than the quick upgrade I used previously. Thanks again.

Jube3

enzo_gt said:
:O
First car I will buy will be the Enzo though. Isn't the FXX a reward car? I don't want to buy it early so that I'm left with two beasts to deal with.

Anyone else notice the Auction house is full of people trying to scam noobs by selling cars your going to win as rewards anyways?

Not so much that (although some people do try to run up the price. But they do that since they dont want the car but want to get more than 100 cr for it. I like it cause I can pick up some nice cars like the aberth on the cheaper cheap lol

Iknos

McBacon said:
Hey GAF, I'm having some problems with this game. I love driving games, but I'm finding this game fucking annoying.

So I'm using the 360 wheel, I come up to a corner and I push the brake pedal, and now I can't turn corners. Like, I get that you can't drift like fucking Outrun, but you need to push on the gas to make your wheels turn, thats not how cars work? You can totally coast around a corner by riding the clutch and using the brake to slow down. I know there's no clutch on the racing wheel, but whatever.

Tell me what the fucks going wrong, because right now I hate this game.

Another perspective on the issue:

You CAN turn and brake at the same time but you only have so much tire friction to give to each action. If you are braking lightly you can turn lightly as well. If you are turning lightly you can brake lightly. If you are braking heavy you can't turn and if you turn heavy you can't brake. There is not enough friction in your tires to do that. Once you buy a better compound or wider tires you are more able to push them harder.

To me it sounds like you are actually locking your brakes or maybe even understeering more than anything else.

At this point your tires have lost all traction and you have nothing left to turn or even slow down as you may be sliding off the track at that point.

If you could post a video of one of your turns we could look at it and help.

The MS wheel has a very low range of motion in the brake pedal so it is very easy to lock them up. To help prevent this you can upgrade your brakes and lower the brake hydraulic pressure IIRC. I haven't done it yet I'm sticking with stock brakes so far to keep my PI down as much as possible.

I suggest hot lapping the tracks at a slow speed at first like 60km/hr and then increasing your speed steadily. It will help you realize the limits of your tires.

I'm being kind to gaf, if you want a tuned A class BMW M3-GTR file try to contact me over live ( Diablohead UK ) as I don't really want to sell my new tweaked setup, turns better then ever now :D BTW to get the most out of this car you MUST use TCS, seriously!

I'll chuck in this livery too, gaf orange!

1g5cgg.jpg

I would upload a time attack video but it takes ages for me to upload, so I can't do that tonight.

comrade

Diablohead said:
I'm being kind to gaf, if you want a tuned A class BMW M3-GTR file try to contact me over live ( Diablohead UK ) as I don't really want to sell my new tweaked setup, turns better then ever now :D

I'll chuck in this livery too, gaf orange!

1g5cgg.jpg

I would upload a time attack video but it takes ages for me to upload, so I can't do that tonight.
Hitting you up. That M3-GTR is beautiful.

Magni

Right now, like in most Xbox 360 games, notifications pop up in the lower middle portion of the screen. M gripe with this is that it covers the gauges in cockpit mode, and even if it's only for a second or two, it's really a pain in the ass when you're in the middle of a high speed turn.

My solution: move it to the top left or top right corners, where it's not bothering the driver. Any chance of this being implemented (how hard is it to change something like this post-release?) ?

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
I only played a single online race so far and i doubt i will again.

First turn, i slow down and let everyone pass, and they all bump into each other, and i run away first. Then two of them thought it would be a cool idea to drive the other way... and crash into me as i am about to finish my first lap.

comrade

Kandrick said:

First turn, i slow down and let everyone pass, and they all bump into each other, and i run away first. Then two of them thought it would be a cool idea to drive the other way... and crash into me as i am about to finish my first lap.
Try again. I've been playing for a couple days and I've yet to see people driving backwards yet. Just sounds like an unlucky match.

hgplayer1

yeah youll see fewer of these idiots the more you play. I hope :lol

the satisfaction it gives them has to get old quickly and make sure to give them bad feedback and vote to kick them from the lobby.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Kandrick said:

haha wow

Today while racing online, I accidentally bumped a guy from behind. He hit the brakes pretty early and I hit him bad. An accident, shit happens. I didn't have my microphone in so I just stopped the car, and waited for him to turn the car around and keep going and I would still be behind him in the race. After the race, he brings up a vote to kick me. He says, "this guy hit me from behind and made me lose 3rd place." I put my mic in and say, "it was an accident guy, I even stopped and let you get ahead of me." 2 seconds later, everyone votes and I'm kicked from the party. I was sooooo pissed.

Kandrick said:

Surprisingly I am yet to see anyone go backwards, but I had enough idiots who use me as a wall or spin me out in their audi's

I have been in races where I WAS THE ONLY ONE using a rear wheel drive car, everyone is abusing the AWD physics.

hgplayer1

I love when a lobby will be dead silent all night then some incident happens and some idiot gets on the mic and wont shut up.

happened last night and I couldnt stop laughing. some people take this game way too seriously.

So what's the deal with not being able to pick the AI difficulty / number of laps in free play? Seems like a really strange oversight. Stranger still... the devs would actually have to have specifically removed AI difficulty from the standard menu.

Are there any real city courses, like a Vegas or NYC or London course or something?

I'm playing through the career mode and I'm kind of getting bored with the same courses over and over...

Psychotext said:
So what's the deal with not being able to pick the AI difficulty / number of laps in free play? Seems like a really strange oversight. Stranger still... the devs would actually have to have specifically removed AI difficulty from the standard menu.
I found that odd also, so I avoid that mode all together since it's useless to me.

comrade

whatdidyousay said:
Are there any real city courses, like a Vegas or NYC or London course or something?

I'm playing through the career mode and I'm kind of getting bored with the same courses over and over...
NYC and London I believe.

kamspy

I'd like to see an more online modes with class, PI, and drivetrain restrictions.

Considering how awesome the rest the game is, the online is amazing basic.

Still, Turn 10 blew my expectations for the game out of the water.

Top Bottom