• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

Yoritomo

Flo_Evans said:
It seems to me that the problem with online racing (with strangers) is that there are no race officials to speak of. In a real race That person would be black flagged, penalized on the next race, given a drive through penalty, fined, ect.

I guess it would be pretty hard for the game to determine who is at fault in all but blatantly obvious incidents but it would be nice if someone would at least attempt some sort of race officiating in sim racers.

I think iRacing does this. I'd play but it's pretty expensive and I'm not quite convinced.... that and my fanatec isn't here yet.

Brakara

BlinkGT said:
FM2 was a successful game, a reference. Online was not perfect, but much better than the FM3 one. And they changed that. We don't understand.

Sorry, but I'm with Diablohead on this one. I've already played more public mp in F3 than in F2. Going online in F2 was a horrible experience. Sucky hosts, lots of almost empty rooms, wrong modes, and whenever I found something decent I was kicked out, or the people were behaving like assholes. Yuck.

The problem with F3 is the lack of proper playlists. Whoever thought A-class being the lowest class available was a good idea needs a hard slap in the head.

Yoritomo

Brakara said:
Sorry, but I'm with Diablohead on this one. I've already played more public mp in F3 than in F2. Going online in F2 was a horrible experience. Sucky hosts, lots of almost empty rooms, wrong modes, and whenever I found something decent I was kicked out, or the people were behaving like assholes. Yuck.

The problem with F3 is the lack of proper playlists. Whoever thought A-class being the lowest class available was a good idea needs a hard slap in the head.

B class for life

hie

XiaNaphryz said:
Totally worth reposting in here as well as the livery/photo/video thread:

chespace, track down this guy to make you some videos!

Datsun 510 isn't AWD...it's RWD. Unless he changed the driveline...

awesome video

HokieJoe

phil_t said:
For the same PI, you would expect the RWD to have the advantage on most 'fast' tracks where traction isn't the limiting factor but grip and turn-in.. AWD is going to benefit you when you have traction limited 'tight' tracks..

Unless I'm missing something, I think you are describing what would be expected in the real world?

Regarding leaderboards, as with real life, you will get one car that suits a particular track in any class, and that has to be expected, unless they make all cars handle the same, I can't see how this won't be the case.

I haven't driven the S5 to see if it's really broken as you say, but what makes you think it should perform better, it's not that great in real life, the equivalent RWD BMW is quicker around a track for example..?

AWD doesn't dominate all forms of racing for a reason. It has advantages, but there are also complexities involving reliability, and extra weight. As well, most AWD cars are front-heavy. Being front-heavy, they tend to understeer a lot more. You can fix this by tilting more torque output to the rear diffy, and softening up the front springs/shocks.
I think the fix is to give AWD cars a bigger weight penalty. In no case can you make an AWD car as light as a RWD car.

EDIT
A bigger weight penalty will affect: handling, braking, acceleration, and tire wear. So you can offset the understeer with more rear power, but you can't remove the inherently heavier platform and the poorer weight distribution. In real life, the added weight and weight distribution (I think) would have the biggest affect on tire wear.

rjcc

op_ivy said:
i agree. B class is perfect

QFMFT.

I'd also like to see car and drive layout specific hoppers. for ex. a random car every day, both for tuned cars and all stock. all rwd race. all fwd. fwd fujimi kaido downhill fridays etc.

Any word on when we can expect an update would be nice, because right now there's 20 online options and none I really want to play.

Brakara said:

I also agree with this.... T10 just need to add more option and stat to their hopper. Looks at all the stat and tracking MW and Halo does with their game, that's the type of things we need for Forza 3.

It definitely need a harcore playlist and may be instead of lock into one class it does range of car class that would be neat so people will get to used different cars instead of everyone just race 1 or 2 cars.

Yoritomo

rjcc said:
QFMFT.

I'd also like to see car and drive layout specific hoppers. for ex. a random car every day, both for tuned cars and all stock. all rwd race. all fwd. fwd fujimi kaido downhill fridays etc.

Any word on when we can expect an update would be nice, because right now there's 20 online options and none I really want to play.

That would be awesome. Stock racing classes that switch up which vehicle people drive would be fun.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I'm having an excellent time with this game. I'm a big Nissan fanboy, so I've mostly been using my 370Z and my GTR-34. I think I'm about to complete the second season. Is the current model GTR a prize car or something? I didn't see it in the Nissan store.

There really should have been more online modes/playlists from the get-go. Some of these options are blatantly obvious so I am not buying the "stat tracking" excuses. Of course people are going to want to race in classes lower than A, that's just common fucking sense. This game was gold weeks before release so they had plenty of time to create a more robust offering for the online at launch.

If there is one area Turn10 have really dropped the ball on Forza III it's the anemic MP choices. I've basically stayed away from multiplayer since I'm barely using A class cars in the single player at this point. What a shame.

Yoritomo

SuperEnemyCrab said:
There really should have been more online modes/playlists from the get-go. Some of these options are blatantly obvious so I am not buying the "stat tracking" excuses. Of course people are going to want to race in classes lower than A, that's just common fucking sense. This game was gold weeks before release so they had plenty of time to create a more robust offering for the online at launch.

If there is one area Turn10 have really dropped the ball on Forza III it's the anemic MP choices. I've basically stayed away from multiplayer since I'm barely using A class cars in the single player at this point. What a shame.

Private rooms are still a blast.

Not that we needed a private room for this to happen.

chicane.gif

chicane2.gif

Falagard

REV 09 said:
does any know if "keeping" this game from Gamefly will get you the initial DLC that came with new purchases?

Couldn't say for sure, but the DLC is a one time use code. I'm not sure what Gamefly does with DLC codes in general.

AMUSIX

SuperEnemyCrab said:

You know, if instead of offering A, S, R3, R2, R1 online at launch they offered D, C, B, A, S, I would have been more inclined to agree with the 'we're checking stats' line. Not to mention it would have been much more logical to add the race classes later, after people have gotten comfortable on the tracks. As it is, they'll unlock the slower classes, and make the hardcore cheer while the casuals will just find it boring.

Chorazin

Falagard said:
Couldn't say for sure, but the DLC is a one time use code. I'm not sure what Gamefly does with DLC codes in general.

Gamefly sends you the original box and everything that came with it. The code will be included, unused, in the case when you get it from them.

AMUSIX said:
You know, if instead of offering A, S, R3, R2, R1 online at launch they offered D, C, B, A, S, I would have been more inclined to agree with the 'we're checking stats' line. Not to mention it would have been much more logical to add the race classes later, after people have gotten comfortable on the tracks. As it is, they'll unlock the slower classes, and make the hardcore cheer while the casuals will just find it boring.

Agreed. And it's possible some casual fans that want to gradually ease into higher classes might incorrectly assume that online is designated for A class or above and not even bother to go back. And Infinity Ward has created, changed and tweaked CoD4 modes and playlists within a day. Here we are a week (2 weeks for EU) out from release and nothing has changed...

qirex99

Banned
Artistic and technical expression is the developers right. You guys all kvetching about it, should send an email or post on the online forums. (with tin hats on)

The simple fact is that T10 knows a LOT about their game, racing and cars and the various racing communities.

They've clearly CHOSEN this for a reason, so maybe you guys should just enjoy your private rooms to race your riced out c class civics.

T10 likely wants to instill the Online "culture" of this game with a racers edge. That is, focus on the Exotics and racers.

I think one of the immediate results is that ppl who aren't good enough to race the fastest classes, will go offline/or to private play to do this.

They clearly want to distinguish THEIR game from PDs upcoming mega-game (which has usually been associated with the JDM market).

Sure, maybe theyll change it in the future, but you should spend more time appreciating their artistic vision, than bitching about it.

If you dont like it, get your lazy ass off the couch and MAKE YOUR OWN!!

/ends rant re: unmotivated, lazy, yet highly critical and cheap gamers/

Chorazin

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Agreed. And it's possible some casual fans that want to gradually ease into higher classes might incorrectly assume that online is designated for A class or above and not even bother to go back. And Infinity Ward has created, changed and tweaked CoD4 modes and playlists within a day. Here we are a week (2 weeks for EU) out from release and nothing has changed...

Word. I renewed by Gold SPECIFICALLY for Forza 3, and now I don't even want to try the online modes because, frankly, I can't handle faster cars right now. Hell, with all the AMAZING games I have right now it's hard for me to even want to play Forza 3, which sucks because I thought I'd really be into it. :(

alba

Little is the new Big
Captain Pants said:
I'm having an excellent time with this game. I'm a big Nissan fanboy, so I've mostly been using my 370Z and my GTR-34. I think I'm about to complete the second season. Is the current model GTR a prize car or something? I didn't see it in the Nissan store.

It's not in the game for licensing issues I believe but it should come out as DLC.

Oh. My. Lord.

I've just pimped up my Veyron so it can compete in the R3 events I'm doing in the fourth year. The first two races without it were quite competitive, but now I left them in my dust at the start line and they didn't get close to making a comeback. :lol It's a BEAST. I also have all of the assists off (bar manual gear change) and it's so much easier to drive. I was spinning out on a lot of corners in my first R3 car.

This is the shit I'm talking about.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
qirex99 said:
Artistic and technical expression is the developers right. You guys all kvetching about it, should send an email or post on the online forums. (with tin hats on)

The simple fact is that T10 knows a LOT about their game, racing and cars and the various racing communities.

They've clearly CHOSEN this for a reason, so maybe you guys should just enjoy your private rooms to race your riced out c class civics.

T10 likely wants to instill the Online "culture" of this game with a racers edge. That is, focus on the Exotics and racers.

I think one of the immediate results is that ppl who aren't good enough to race the fastest classes, will go offline/or to private play to do this.

They clearly want to distinguish THEIR game from PDs upcoming mega-game (which has usually been associated with the JDM market).

Sure, maybe theyll change it in the future, but you should spend more time appreciating their artistic vision, than bitching about it.

If you dont like it, get your lazy ass off the couch and MAKE YOUR OWN!!

/ends rant re: unmotivated, lazy, yet highly critical and cheap gamers/

What the hell? This is one of the dumbest things I've read. You want us to believe that we have way fewer options than Forza 2 because T10 wants to instill a "racers edge" culture??? WTF??? A game that prides itself on tuning, painting, upgrading, 400 cockpits, etc., is really a game about A class racing at the end of the day?

Their E3 splash was a glorified drifting video yet their "artistic vision" is a featureless online system of A and R+ classes? You have no idea what you're talking about.

How about this: They developed the game in two years and they pushed the game out the door without a fully developed online component. That's really what's going on here.

Everything can be updated on their end and it's happening as we speak.

Falagard

SuperEnemyCrab said:

I agree with this.

It really surprises me that they launched with A class and above hoppers during the first week of the game when obviously new players won't even own or have enough credits to buy those cars for many many hours into their career.

With all the work that went into the game itself, it baffles me that the multiplayer is so gimped right from the start. I personally like the A class circuit matchmaking, but can see how it's a stupid idea to only include the fastest cars on launch.

Also, I can see how they want to look at stats for matchmaking and tweak things - too many or too few hoppers can be a problem when attempting to match players, but this is something that should be tweakable in the first day of launch, not a week or two later during the period of time when people are just deciding whether they want to ever play this game online or not.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Has anyone so far seen any airborne car crash physics similar to the big crash at Talladega yesterday? The one where the car kind of floats for a bit on its nose going backwards before flipping over onto another car and spins off towards the wall and bounces back to the infield rolling a few more times.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Oh. My. Lord.

I've just pimped up my Veyron so it can compete in the R3 events I'm doing in the fourth year. The first two races without it were quite competitive, but now I left them in my dust at the start line and they didn't get close to making a comeback. :lol It's a BEAST. I also have all of the assists off (bar manual gear change) and it's so much easier to drive. I was spinning out on a lot of corners in my first R3 car.

This is the shit I'm talking about.
I couldn't win an R3 event in an actual R3 car either...then I upgraded the gift Skyline GTR R34 to R3 and started winning every race by half a mile. I have no idea if I'm just horrible with R3 cars or if an upgraded S class is that much better.

Well it's obviously anecdotal evidence based on the things I've read on forums, but it would seem that R3 cars are fucking hard to control. Unless I was going <80mph I always felt like I was on the brink of losing it and, more often than not, on the corners I did. :lol

If I didn't get the idea of upgrading an S class car I would have shoved traction control back on for those events, I think.

Milpool

I purcased the BMW for the R3 races only to be gifted it a few levels later... They're not that hard to control if you use a wheel. Now using the FXX in R3 races and it's impossible to lose.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Note to potential Cat and Mouse players, if you ever see myself or Jube online, you may want to run in the other direction.

Of course if you like a violent cat (me), or an insane mouse (Jube), then come right in and play along! The following is a lesson in how not to play as a Cat, as the screenshot and following video proves, the Mini is stronger than it looks.

Pic:
2r2yvth.jpg

Yes, that's me in the middle, of the air, oops.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-9GtmaZ_X4
No, it doesn't look any prettier here, eek.

Remember: You have been warned, heh.

That trick is in forza 2 also, it's because you are rolling backwards when you shift into reverse it breaks the reverse gear limit somehow and instead you accelerate like you are in final gear :lol I might be wrong but I think that's why, in fact it might be in forza 1 also.

Kordos

Falagard said:
I agree with this.

It really surprises me that they launched with A class and above hoppers during the first week of the game when obviously new players won't even own or have enough credits to buy those cars for many many hours into their career.

With all the work that went into the game itself, it baffles me that the multiplayer is so gimped right from the start. I personally like the A class circuit matchmaking, but can see how it's a stupid idea to only include the fastest cars on launch.

I hate beating a dead horse, but this dead horse needs to be beaten. And I hate how the issue is just under the radar... not officially acknowledged, but right there under everyone's noses.

T10Blog said:
Right now, the obvious thing to note is that A Class Circuit Racing is the most popular hopper.

Obviously. I love how they don't draw any conclusions by this - "gee, maybe we messed up by omitting playlists below A-class." Nope, only:

T10Blog said:
Going forward, we have a plan to update the hoppers often. Once a week will be par for the course, but as we gather more data from community behavior on our servers, we could be implement new hopper changes twice a week. Heck, every day if we needed to -- but you get my point. It's a flexible server-side system we're going to be mining for data and making decisions based on that data.

Par for the course, indeed. Twice a week? Every day? If you needed to?

News flash -- you need to.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Foliorum Viridum said:
Well it's obviously anecdotal evidence based on the things I've read on forums, but it would seem that R3 cars are fucking hard to control. Unless I was going <80mph I always felt like I was on the brink of losing it and, more often than not, on the corners I did. :lol

If I didn't get the idea of upgrading an S class car I would have shoved traction control back on for those events, I think.

R2s are even more unforgiving. They force you to learn good throttle control or you're off the track. If by some stroke of luck I was allowed to give a GT1 race car a lap, I'd probably pass after playing this game :p

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Fanatec update:
Post-June orders:

EU:

Ship Edith Marsk ETA 25.11.2009

USA: Ship Mathilde Maersk ETA 13.11.2009

There are more containers on the way but these are the first to arrive. By middle of December we should have all inventory for the open orders in our warehouse.

We are currently lacking some raw materials but we plan to finish the production of the 10.000 units within the next 8 weeks.
I wonder how many orders are in that first shipment. With any luck, it would mean my wheel would get in before Thanksgiving! :D

And since they gave the cargo ship name, you could track its position online if you're really bored. Mathilde Maersk

TofuEater

Diablohead said:
I wasn't giving beef, just saying that from all my playing around that RWD still beats AWD on tracks in forza 3, I been using my rear powered BMW M3 since day 1 and win a fair bit unless a super long straight is in the track, that's where those silly S5's win me over.

Yes RWD will still win in the end with good throttle modulation. The S5 is pretty noob friendly as you can hit the corner apex and ram the throttle and it will pull itself through.

The PI system when you put AWD, it minuses around 40PI or so, there is about 150kg extra weight, but this gets neglected by the higher weight reduction upgrade. Which is kind of stupid.

I didn't see the option to put the X5's AWD into a M3 :lol I would want to try this. Come on Turn 10 patch it!

LaserBuddha said:
Can anyone point me towards a good drifting tutorial for a total noob, as well as a recommended car to use?
If you are a drifing beginner just use an AWD car, make sure TCS is off as it ruins drifting a fair bit. Don't fully upgrade (take the car to A or S, even B if the car has enough torque) and pratice on fujumi.

DarkJC

RSTEIN said:
I wish that if someone is arriving at a corner a speed well above normal their car model would turn off. For example, if it's an A class race maximum corner speeds should be easy to calculate. If a driver is coming into the corner 25% above the maximum threshold then they'd automatically just get turned off as if they were going backwards.

I was heading into the last corner on the last lap at Laguna. I was 4th and the 5th place guy was about 10 car lengths behind me. I take the corner properly and BAM the 5th place guy just torpedos into me, bounces of me, and takes 4th place. Up to that point he was driving properly. It was a desperate, intentional act.

Yeah I've had this happen to me a bunch of times, seems unfair that the person who does the smashing usually comes out ahead. One time I was cleanly passing a guy on a straight and he checked me into a wall. I ended up almost dead last, he pretty much maintained his position. Frustrating.

Heh funny story about my attempts at drifting last night:

Having not one single clue how to drift properly, I took a stock S5 around the 10m Fujimi course and figured out a makeshift way to do it that netted me about 15k points over the course of 2 1/2 laps.

When I got to the corner, I let go of the gas and steered into it, while simultaneously hitting the brake and e-brake for about half a second. Then when I was almost halfway into the turn, i jammed the gas and locked the wheel in the opposite direction I was turning. When it worked it actually worked pretty damn good!

I'd never waste my time with that nonsense again though.

TTG

Anyone else notice how you can put the fear of God into the AI via rewind feature? Next time you guys have trouble catching a leader, tbone him in a corner after a long straight then rewind and brake as you normally would. Watch the AI scramble to get out of your way, it's expecting you to plow into him, most of the time he will spin into the grass/sand pit. :lol

On an unrelated subject: Bugatti Veyron.... not such a great car to drive in Forza 3.

TTG said:
Anyone else notice how you can put the fear of God into the AI via rewind feature? Next time you guys have trouble catching a leader, tbone him in a corner after a long straight then rewind and brake as you normally would. Watch the AI scramble to get out of your way, it's expecting you to plow into him, most of the time he will spin into the grass/sand pit. :lol

On an unrelated subject: Bugatti Veyron.... not such a great car to drive in Forza 3.

Its not what you think it is. It's a glitch that causes the AI to apparently forget what it was doing and miss turns.

hgplayer1

While I agree that T10 probably should have offered the lower class cars for MM initially, Im sick of all the whining already.

I hated F2s online. I always got discouraged after trying to join room after room and find people sitting idle or just chatting or switching up all options as soon as the current race was done. Ill take F3s MM any day of the week over F2s.

I can sit in A class all night and race as long as other people are online and I know Ill get some races in. Sure we need to see the other classes represented but then you risk spreading the player pool too thin. I guess in a perfect world they should have at least had F and B and dropped one of the R classes.

skyfinch

TTG said:

Very fast car but you end up having to brake that much earlier. FXX runs circles around it....unless it's a straightaway. :lol

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
hgplayer1 said:
While I agree that T10 probably should have offered the lower class cars for MM initially, Im sick of all the whining already.

I hated F2s online. I always got discouraged after trying to join room after room and find people sitting idle or just chatting or switching up all options as soon as the current race was done. Ill take F3s MM any day of the week over F2s.
Agreed.

At least with Matchmaking you are actually guaranteed to get a race. :p

Top Bottom