• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

I think removing R2 from circuit racing and adding B or C class would be good, having all 3 R classes for racing seems a little too much imo.

Also I am still suprised only to see a few K of people online at the most, I did expect more.

hgplayer1

Oh I asked about this last night but got no reply so Ill try again....

hgplayer1 said:
So im looking around at the time trials leaderboards and on Benchmark Ring there are two Veyrons at the top spots but they are R2860 and R3800 class respectively. Everyone else is in the S700 class car.

So, still a newb to this whole "owning a new 360" thing. How the hell do I redeem my alleged "free Live Gold trial"? Does such a thing even exist, or is it a marketing scam?

I bought an Elite, but it seems to be lacking any mystical 25-digit codes.

Edit: Oh, I see... you have to first assure your 360 that you don't want to spend any money. After giving it a few reassurances, it poops out "oh hey, free trial" at you.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Elfforkusu said:
So, still a newb to this whole "owning a new 360" thing. How the hell do I redeem my alleged "free Live Gold trial"? Does such a thing even exist, or is it a marketing scam?

You get 1 month with the 360, when you create a new Gamertag.

Eric WK

Elfforkusu said:

Create a Gamertag and sign up for Live. Near the end it should ask you if you want Gold or not. Say no and eventually it'll be like "Hey, well here's a month free".

Falagard

hgplayer1 said:
While I agree that T10 probably should have offered the lower class cars for MM initially, Im sick of all the whining already.

I hated F2s online. I always got discouraged after trying to join room after room and find people sitting idle or just chatting or switching up all options as soon as the current race was done. Ill take F3s MM any day of the week over F2s.

I can sit in A class all night and race as long as other people are online and I know Ill get some races in. Sure we need to see the other classes represented but then you risk spreading the player pool too thin. I guess in a perfect world they should have at least had F and B and dropped one of the R classes.

Hey, I agree completely that the matchmaking system itself is better than F2's. Automated track selection and a fixed countdown timer are great things in my opinion.

You missed mentioning the very worst part of F2's matchmaking - you join a game in progress and everyone is racing. You wait 5 minutes for the race to end thinking "thank god, I can race now" and then the host boots you without a word.

However, as I mentioned, it's baffling that Turn 10 is waiting around for some point in the future to modify the currently broken hoppers, shows a surprising lack of foresight for the launch hoppers, and gives me very little confidence that they'll be able to manage the hoppers properly in the future.

hgplayer1

Falagard said:
Hey, I agree completely that the matchmaking system itself is better than F2's. Automated track selection and a fixed countdown timer are great things in my opinion.

You missed mentioning the very worst part of F2's matchmaking - you join a game in progress and everyone is racing. You wait 5 minutes for the race to end thinking "thank god, I can race now" and then the host boots you without a word.

However, as I mentioned, it's baffling that Turn 10 is waiting around for some point in the future to modify the currently broken hoppers, shows a surprising lack of foresight for the launch hoppers, and gives me very little confidence that they'll be able to manage the hoppers properly in the future.

well if Halo's MM playlists are any indication it seems they usually set a future date for hoppers to change and dont just change them on the fly. not sure what the reason would be for this but thats what I remember from Halo. been a while since I played Halo religiously though.

DarkJC

Moussi said:
so what view yall using? I'm not liking the cockpit view so much...

Hood here. I haven't really given the cockpit view in Forza 3 a shot (no achievement for it yet on my GamerTag) but in every other racing game I like hood/bumper cams so I stuck with hood here.

I like hood more than bumper because it gives me a better sense of the width of my car.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
hgplayer1 said:
While I agree that T10 probably should have offered the lower class cars for MM initially, Im sick of all the whining already.

I hated F2s online. I always got discouraged after trying to join room after room and find people sitting idle or just chatting or switching up all options as soon as the current race was done. Ill take F3s MM any day of the week over F2s.

I can sit in A class all night and race as long as other people are online and I know Ill get some races in. Sure we need to see the other classes represented but then you risk spreading the player pool too thin. I guess in a perfect world they should have at least had F and B and dropped one of the R classes.

+1. Agree 100%. I thought FM2's online was fucking horrible and discouraging, just like you explained. I love the community in FM3, though I pretty much only play drift matches because I'm afraid of crashing into other players who will spaz.

Bildi

Moussi said:

I'm using cockpit all the time. In a lot of games I have to use the hood view if I really want to post competitive times, but for some reason I am finding the cockpit view perfect in this.

Moussi

Bildi said:
I'm using cockpit all the time. In a lot of games I have to use the hood view if I really want to post competitive times, but for some reason I am finding the cockpit view perfect in this.
I'm probably gonna stick it out with the cockpit view then. I think shifts's spoiled me.

Iknos

Flo_Evans said:
It seems to me that the problem with online racing (with strangers) is that there are no race officials to speak of. In a real race That person would be black flagged, penalized on the next race, given a drive through penalty, fined, ect.

I guess it would be pretty hard for the game to determine who is at fault in all but blatantly obvious incidents but it would be nice if someone would at least attempt some sort of race officiating in sim racers.

Being run over at a corner should be pretty obvious. I really like Supercar Challenge's penalty system. I never played Ferrari Challenge and it could have existed at that point. It's something I hope more developers look at.

qirex99 said:
Artistic and technical expression is the developers right. You guys all kvetching about it, should send an email or post on the online forums. (with tin hats on)

Who do I email exactly? Think it would be nice to take all of these complaints and filter them to one comprehensive document for the team to read over if they were interested. Saves them the effort of having to go through hundreds of posts to get the info they need.

The simple fact is that T10 knows a LOT about their game, racing and cars and the various racing communities.

I see your overall point and I can appreciate what T10 is trying to accomplish to some degree.

But you can't say there's anything wrong with pointing out the reasons why T10 shouldn't do what they've done. The argument that most new players don't own many >A class cars is a very good one.

At the same time I am starting to get skeptical about your first point about T10 knowing a lot of about their community. I think some critical decision like the pre-race countdown would have been much different if they knew their fanbase a bit more.

If you dont like it, get your lazy ass off the couch and MAKE YOUR OWN!!

It would take me millions in capital to make a game comparable to FM3. If making a game like FM3 was easy everyone would be doing it. I'm astounded that a game like this was pumped out in 18 months to be frank. Keep in mind that I'm not asking for anything more than what the game offers I'm just asking for some things to be done a tad differently.

/ends rant re: unmotivated, lazy, yet highly critical and cheap gamers/

I think us complainers are highly motivated in the sense that we want to see this great game live up to it's potential. If I was asking for more tracks or cars then yeah maybe I am being needlessly critical. If I was asking for brand new modes that was beyond the capabilities of the game then yeah I'm pretty cheap. All I was asking for was doing things in different ways.

Asking for a more robust elimination mode or qualifying trials before races option is only asking for a very minor tweak to the code. All the variables are there and you don't have to add anything new really. It will add some more testing if anything.

For example the proposed elimination mode uses variables already found in the game. The game already tells you the time/distance between the guy in front of you and the guy behind you. The game could just check it against a variable set by the host. So the host says if the person in last place if 5 seconds behind the guy ahead of him he is knocked out. Or alternatively if they are 100m behind them. So just one more variable that is checked maybe every second. In the end you got a mode that's akin to Tokyo Xtreme Racer or Initial D Arcade Stage. It would be great for the long circuits/tracks. The elimination mode currently in the game would be unfeasible for the Ring for example.

For the record I'm not against the idea of hoppers.

I put this disclaimer in an earlier post but I might as well mention it again. I might sound like a whiny prick but I'm only focusing on the negatives that I see at this point. I'm almost comparing this game to what a perfect sim racer would be. Of course given the short development time of this game I can't expect it to be perfect but it's pretty close I'm sure we'll all admit. I'm trying to keep my criticism/suggestions to a more feasible and realistic expectation.

I'll get into the more positive aspects a bit later. There are things done in FM3 that should be a benchmark for all other games nevermind racers. That whole idea with the "following" other players is genius. Any game featuring UGC has to implement this. It's also great to be able to follow other racers to compare their times to yours without having to add them to your friends list...

Still why was System Link removed? AAAAAAAUUUUUUGGGGHHHHH :( *whine*

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
I just hit level 50.

20.7% done with career in 24 hours. Maybe there should have been 100 levels? Seems like a whole lot left to do.

TTG

Whatever I said about the Veyron, I take it back. What a rocket when modified, flat out rocket. Is there anything quicker in the game? 10 speed and 9.9 acceleration would indicate there isn't unless some of the race cars have massive restrictions on the engine that can be removed? I think I'm going after some of the R3 world championships next. :lol

Anyway, when do the credits start rolling in if I'm only sticking to single player for now? All I do is modify cars and that alone keeps my war chest to below a mil. At this rate, I'm never gonna buy a Mclaren.

DarkJC

TTG said:
Whatever I said about the Veyron, I take it back. What a rocket when modified, flat out rocket. Is there anything quicker in the game? 10 speed and 9.9 acceleration would indicate there isn't unless some of the race cars have massive restrictions on the engine that can be removed? I think I'm going after some of the R3 world championships next. :lol

Anyway, when do the credits start rolling in if I'm only sticking to single player for now? All I do is modify cars and that alone keeps my war chest to below a mil. At this rate, I'm never gonna buy a Mclaren.

Yeah I just optimized my veyron for R3 and literally destroyed everyone else on the track in the championship. The only time they got even close was in the corners, but never close enough. The speed on the straights is insane.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
holy shit, i need storefront help!

i just spent god knows how long making my first car design for an 08 sti. finished, saved it, went to put it on my storefront and it says i cant because its locked... ok, i guess thats cause i used jube's (i think it was jube's) UK plate on the back. so i go into edit it, remove his plate and make my own quickie, double check i'm not using any other locked vinyls, and go to upload and its still locked!

what am i doing wrong?

Got Fanatec wheel this evening and got it set up (no instruction with the wheel, but there's one on-line).

Quick impression - the wheel construction and materials are top notch. Lot of features. It's well worth the asking price. I also hook it up to the PS3 to see and PS3 recognize it (haven't try PC).

Take it for quick spin with Forza 3 and the wheel feel awesome so do the pedals. Shifting is harder with the H-shifter so I am going to have to re-learn along with braking with right foot (also the break is a lot stiffer and I have to adjust to that). It's going to take a few days to get used to the new wheel and then learn how to shift with clutch, that should be fun.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Short yet awesomely funny vid. Hilarious for just a 5 sec clip! :lol

antiquegamer said:
Got Fanatec wheel this evening and got it set up (no instruction with the wheel, but there's one on-line).

Quick impression - the wheel construction and materials are top notch. Lot of features. It's well worth the asking price. I also hook it up to the PS3 to see and PS3 recognize it (haven't try PC).

Take it for quick spin with Forza 3 and the wheel feel awesome so do the pedals. Shifting is harder with the H-shifter so I am going to have to re-learn along with braking with right foot (also the break is a lot stiffer and I have to adjust to that). It's going to take a few days to get used to the new wheel and then learn how to shift with clutch, that should be fun.

Did you have the regular pedals or the clubsports?

op_ivy

Sephiroth said:
I bought the game a few days ago and I still suck at it. Any tips for a Forza noob?

start with most assists on and definitely the racing line. stick to that, brake when it is red, coast when its yellow, and floor it when its green.

Sephiroth

op_ivy said:
start with most assists on and definitely the racing line. stick to that, brake when it is red, coast when its yellow, and floor it when its green.

I feel like I'm cheating with so many assists but it looks like I have to swallow my pride. :( Thanks.

TTG

It's a good thing Bugatti leaves their engines in the middle. Playing the Fujimi Kaido thing on R3 and it's flat out bumper cars. :lol I think every single car has tasted 2nd places, then they were spun back into oblivion when they thought about overtaking.

op_ivy

Sephiroth said:
I feel like I'm cheating with so many assists but it looks like I have to swallow my pride. :( Thanks.

dont use the autobrake one :lol

TTG

Sephiroth said:

The game is actually fun with them off. Leave ABS alone and the trans on auto if you don't want too many things to juggle right away, but stay away from traction and stability control. It's like if you sucked at a FPS so you turned auto aim up to the point where you only had to press fire and run around.

op_ivy

TTG said:
The game is actually fun with them off. Leave ABS alone and the trans on auto if you don't want too many things to juggle right away, but stay away from traction and stability control. It's like if you sucked at a FPS so you turned auto aim up to the point where you only had to press fire and run around.

yeah, actually, what he said. just load up a car and select test drive on a track and screw around. use rewind constantly to nail the racing line and brake points. try to minimize braking/accelerating while turning.

DarkJC

I bought the game a few days ago and I still suck at it. Any tips for a Forza noob?

For a noob, I'd say:

Turn Traction Control and Stability Control off, like has been said before. It will be tough at first but you'll soon get used to controlling the throttle so you don't spin out and stuff. I'd leave ABS, the full racing line, and auto transmission on though.

I find the racing line is good so you actually learn what proper racing line is for the tracks. The racing lines in these games really helped me get a handle on how I should be moving around the track to maximize speed into and out of corners. After you think you're comfortable though, I would turn this fully off, so you don't come to rely on watching the line for your break points rather than the track itself.

Finally, after you're comfortable without the line, I'd move towards manual transmission and turning off ABS. I find the game is immensely more rewarding when playing with all assists off :D

Bildi

I just tried using the clutch a little last night and it seems almost the same as manual except you have two buttons to hit at a time and you have to let the throttle off a little when changing up. I heard it was ultimately the fastest way to change so thought I'd give it a shot.

The game feels great if not a little too forgiving with all assists off - it's like that's what it was designed around. I find it easier than GRID in which I needed at least one of the assists on otherwise it was frustrating (traction control I think it was). Turn 10 have done a really nice job in this regard.

DJ_Lae

There's definitely a huge sense of accomplishment when nailing perfect laps and races with the assists off.

For someone planning on easing themselves into it, I'd turn off the assists in this order:

-Autobrake (if anyone uses this to begin with)
-Stability control
-Traction control
-Full line (braking line is plenty sufficient in most cases)
-ABS
-Braking line (make sure you learn the markers for braking on each corner first, whether they're actual markers, fenceposts, shadows, skid marks, or whatever)
-Auto
-Clutch

I like racing with the clutch off but it feels too awkward for general use, so I usually keep it on. It's especially awkward with the wheel.

AI difficulty is more personal preference than anything. No sense racing on hard when you're trying to learn how to control the car with assists off.

DarkJC

Bildi said:
The game feels great if not a little too forgiving with all assists off - it's like that's what it was designed around. I find it easier than GRID in which I needed at least one of the assists on otherwise it was frustrating (traction control I think it was). Turn 10 have done a really nice job in this regard.

Agreed, for most cars even with all assists off it's usually pretty smooth sailing, until you get into the R3+ range and even then a little throttle control is all you need.

It's fun to drive but sometimes I wish cars that are supposed to be crazy were a little more crazy. The Merc SL65 is one I thought I'd have a lot more trouble controlling, but it's just as manageable as any other car in its class.

DJ_Lae

DarkJC said:
It's fun to drive but sometimes I wish cars that are supposed to be crazy were a little more crazy.

Is the Cerbera Speed 12 insane to drive? I haven't bought one yet but that thing was practically undrivable in Forza 2 without tweaking.

If only I could buy gold Daytons for my Mustang...

848.jpg

DarkJC

DJ_Lae said:
Is the Cerbera Speed 12 insane to drive? I haven't bought one yet but that thing was practically undrivable in Forza 2 without tweaking.

I hadn't tried one till you mentioned it now, but I just put it through a lap or two at Mugello in Hot Lap mode (don't have 1 million to drop on it atm :lol)

It's definitely not undrivable stock, it's an R3 car and I'd say it handles like the other R3s, but a little easier. More forgiving with the throttle but can't brake as late as a true R3 racer.

I gotta say the Sagaris was probably one of the crazier cars I drove in its class though, TVRs like to be crazy all around I guess.

TofuEater

Sephiroth said:

Use the line markers. They help you learn the track. Use a slow car to get a feel for the physics and track. Then progressively start using faster cars.

Iknos

I'm trying to make the definitive PGR-esque Cat and Mouse variant.

Tried the one in FM3 and the rules are a bit different than how I played it back in the day when I played PGR2 online where the rules were made up really. Never played PGR3/4 C&M but I figured the rules would have been the same.

The rules we played with in PGR2 were:

-Mice are Mini Coopers
-Cats were Enzos
-First mouse to cross the line wins it for the team

You can change the rules in FM3 to make it much like that. My question is...would the mode I mentioned be popular with the FM3 audience or will they prefer the one that is default in FM3?

What do you guys think makes a definitive C&M mode?

I'm thinking New York would be a great C&M track because it's like a bobsled track the way it is enclosed. No grassy areas to get caught up on.

Maybe we can make one up using our collective brainpowers, call it the NeoGAF C&M racetype and post it here along with some custom cat and mouse liveries:

http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/thread/3162606.aspx

Brakara

Diablohead said:
Also I am still suprised only to see a few K of people online at the most, I did expect more.

Yeah, me too, and especially with more than 500k people on the leaderboards. But there could be some reasons for this:

- The career mode is huge. It's not like an FPS you finish the first evening. There's also tons of stuff to do outside the career mode (painting, tuning, storefront, auction house, time trials, free play, drifting, etc.).
- Circuit races lacks races for lower classes. This one is obvious. My fear is that it has already scared people away from mp, people who will never be back.
- Private races. Since here you have all the options, and it's much more fun to race with friends anyway.

Hopefully, Turn 10 will at least give us lower class races soon.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Didn't turn 10 say they would put what the fans want online

We want lower classes

as of next week all the friends that i play priv matches with will be on COD 4 mw2

turn 10 its to late now don't bother :( you have my 40 pound

EazyB

Banned
Haven't had the chance to do any research on the subject so I apologize if it's already been discussed or I'm just being dumb but I've got a question. When I'm racing (in cockpit view at least) it seems like the colors are overexposed. If I'm racing towards the sun the track almost turns completely white, not like natural glare light, but abnormally brilliant and distracting. It seems like the skybox and landscapes are also a bit overexposed. When I just out to photo mode the picture coloring looks as I'd expect it to but whenever I jump back the screen looks terrible again.

It may not be only in game either. The few of the menu items seem washed out like the button prompts on the bottom or heading at the top. When I go to the upgrade shop or circuit select I can't even see but a faint hint of the icons or maps that are adjacent to the one I've selected.

It's just Forza 3 too. I've looked, and maybe I've just skipped over it, but I can't find any picture options in the game. Anyone else experience this or is this a known issue? I just got the game in from Best Buy's slow as mailing today and have had a blast racing but this picture thing is really bumming me out.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Iknos said:
I'm trying to make the definitive PGR-esque Cat and Mouse variant.

Tried the one in FM3 and the rules are a bit different than how I played it back in the day when I played PGR2 online where the rules were made up really. Never played PGR3/4 C&M but I figured the rules would have been the same.

The rules we played with in PGR2 were:

-Mice are Mini Coopers
-Cats were Enzos
-First mouse to cross the line wins it for the team

You can change the rules in FM3 to make it much like that. My question is...would the mode I mentioned be popular with the FM3 audience or will they prefer the one that is default in FM3?

What do you guys think makes a definitive C&M mode?

I'm thinking New York would be a great C&M track because it's like a bobsled track the way it is enclosed. No grassy areas to get caught up on.

Maybe we can make one up using our collective brainpowers, call it the NeoGAF C&M racetype and post it here along with some custom cat and mouse liveries:

http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/thread/3162606.aspx

I recall 911 GT1s and CLK GTR's being used frequently as well, more than the Enzo in fact. But the Speed 12 not so much. I'd still choose the Enzo though. If theres any way I can download this gametype or get in on these games, I'm in on this :D

bj00rn_

Banned
DarkJC said:
I find the game is immensely more rewarding when playing with all assists off :D

I did a few races with some slightly tuned BMW Ms here the other day with all assists turned off, plus and a wheel; It's pretty much the most fun I've ever had in a racing game.

I enjoyed Forza 2, and was expecting a certain upgrade for Forza 3. But the amount of tension and fun I've had in this game, the addictive mix of physics, AI and graphics (Plus all the other stuff like tuning and the livery editor), it's just fabulous for a racing fan like me.

I didn't try to play it online yet, I should do that as well.

Jinjo

Brakara said:
Yeah, me too, and especially with more than 500k people on the leaderboards. But there could be some reasons for this:

- The career mode is huge. It's not like an FPS you finish the first evening. There's also tons of stuff to do outside the career mode (painting, tuning, storefront, auction house, time trials, free play, drifting, etc.).
- Circuit races lacks races for lower classes. This one is obvious. My fear is that it has already scared people away from mp, people who will never be back.
- Private races. Since here you have all the options, and it's much more fun to race with friends anyway.

Hopefully, Turn 10 will at least give us lower class races soon.

This. There's some pretty obvious reasons for lack of online population. I haven't taken myself online yet too, because this game actually requires you to buy, build, tune some decent cars for online. Atleast, that's what I always do and I won't have it any other way. And with my current lack of time (and other great games to play) I have not even scratched the surface of career mode. But that's what makes this game great. I played Forza 2 on and off for the last 2 years.

I can't wait for the day my Forza 3 garage is equally expansive as or even bigger than my Forza 2 garage.:D

Lucius86

Banned
Jinjo said:
This. There's some pretty obvious reasons for lack of online population. I haven't taken myself online yet too, because this game actually requires you to buy, build, tune some decent cars for online. Atleast, that's what I always do and I won't have it any other way. And with my current lack of time (and other great games to play) I have not even scratched the surface of career mode. But that's what makes this game great. I played Forza 2 on and off for the last 2 years.

I can't wait for the day my Forza 3 garage is equally expansive as or even bigger than my Forza 2 garage.:D

I have actually just gone off and spent 500,00 credits purely for upgrading a few cars for online play.

It doesn't necessarily work - I upgraded my Lotus Exige for the Amalfi circuit to bring it up to a top end A-class - in the end everyone was 2-3 seconds faster than me per lap, and were it not for the first corner pile-up with the other 7 cars I would have probably come 6-7th.

Instead I somehow managed to hang on to 3rd - I was so proud of myself!!!!

The car just oversteered constantly going into the higher speed corners, and the upgraded engine took some getting used to with the throttle!!!

But this is what I am loving with this game - even though I race to win, I don't always choose the best car, and that 3rd place was much more rewarding than any race I have won so far in my R8 5.2!

Moussi said:
Cockpit at 80 degrees, no other way.

*edit* I was in a race on mugello against the audi people carrier and daaaaamn that thing can fly with a good tune :lol surprised it could take corners without rolling over.

Top Bottom