• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

Iknos

Kawasaki said:
Whats up with the players today? This is pretty much the worst day I've had racing online in any game.

Sounds like all the serious racers are leaving and the hoppers are left with the destruction derby racers.

Arjen said:
Im still amazed at the amount of people online racing, only 134 in S class today.

Hoppers have potential but FPS games are so much different than racing games that it should have been clear that it couldn't have been the only option.

Maybe if they got more detailed tree like:

First choose...
-> Race Mode ie. Circuit/Drag/Oval/etc.
Then choose...
-> Arcade/Sim ie. Arcade has less laps and damage off
Then choose...
-> Class ie. X/.../F
Then choose...
-> Stock/Tuned

You do splinter up people but at least they'll find a mode that suits them and they'll play online. Right now everyone's taken off and aren't bothering with online.

If they really wanted to get all innovative they could have also made a mode where you choose a car from your garage and judging from it's class and whether it's been tuned the game will find a race for you with that car. Maybe just like in the single player each sort of mode could have posters and you would choose what you would want to do.

So if I chose a Yaris that was upgraded and tuned to a C class car the game would offer me a few different online options: C class Drift race/C class Circuit/C class Drag/etc. each with their own stylish posters like in SP.

This would blur the line between SP and MP. Because you also rank up and earn credits in MP you are effectively choosing between AI and real opponents.

Thinking about it...that idea should replace hoppers. And then alongside it you would have the whole custom lobbies and searchable lobbies like in FM2.

What is most amazing is only a few hundred people in hoppers, you would think forza would have had 10k users at launch or something. private matches have taken over or just no one is playing online with idiots.

I still think in a few months most of the morons will be weeded out as they get bored of ramming people and move to call of duty. When I was playing F2 online weeks before F3 was released most of the racers online were ones who knew when to pass and when to not risk it, there was still the odd idiot but the worst thing was hardly ever getting a room of 8 people.

DarkJC

It's funny how everyone's hoping Call of Duty removes all the trash from their online games :lol

Over in the Halo thread people are hoping the same thing, that all the cheaters move over to MW2

DarkJC said:
It's funny how everyone's hoping Call of Duty removes all the trash from their online games :lol

Over in the Halo thread people are hoping the same thing, that all the cheaters move over to MW2
All those 14 year olds do end up moving on though, so the theory is partly correct.

Arjen

Well its pretty easy to single out the idiots, they sprint away in their veyrons and skylines with top and accelaration maxed out, miss the first corner and thry to take someone out.
Just stay behind them at the start and you'll be fine, 9 out of 10 they disconnect before the first lap ends.
I ahve to say i had some great clean races this week online

erahk64

Iknos said:
Sure thanks.

Some of them might be specific and perhaps you haven't tried these things out yet...

1- With the MS wheel you effectively have 180 degrees of steering despite it being a 270 degree wheel. Yes this is even after removing all deadzones. When the Porche wheel is in 270 deg mode does it actually give you 270 deg steering?

2- In 900 deg mode does the steering input look smooth on the telemetry? Or do you get the impression that the steering input and feedback is scaled?

3- Have you tried spinning the wheel in drift mode? How does it feel?

4- Have you tried it on PS3 racers? How does it feel? You may not be able to mention the specific names of racers in this thread but overall how does it feel?

5- Can you have it hooked up to your PS3 and 360 at the same time? Do you need to remove the USB connection from the PS3 to have it work on the 360?

1- The wheel in the lower left corner on telemetry changes smoothly during 230-250
degrees,
it doesn't move about the last 10-20 degrees when turning left or right.
But it's possible to see in the behind car view that the car when moving changes
direction during the last 10-20 degrees and the change of car direction
seems to be linear during all 270 degrees.
I also checked camber for front wheels in "Tires, Misc" on telemetry while turning the
wheel.
The camber change is linear or smooth during all 270 degrees.

2- I did the same tests as above after setting the wheel to 900 degrees.
It seems the steering input is linear or smooth all 900 degrees.

3- It's easier to turn the wheel in drift mode, but I don't notice any bigger change while
the car is moving.
The difference is bigger when the car is not moving, it's much easier to turn the
wheel in drift mode 3 (you can set drift mode to 1, 2, 3 or OFF on the wheel).

4- I don't have a PS3 yet.

5- I can't try it since I don't have a PS3.
But it may be possible to have the wheel hooked
up to PS3 and XBOX at the same time since
the wheel has a specific mode for XBOX, PC and PS3.

The link below has links to three documents/manuals.
The first and last document describes these modes.

http://www.911wheel.de/?q=node/2552

Been playing A pro online for a bit, I like it so far, I saw new tracks not in the normal A listing but then people veto'd them because their corvettes can't turn corners and we ended up racing on regular tracks. Damnit so boring.

qirex99

Banned
Flo_Evans said:
Might as well do time trails and race ghosts IMO if you are just going to ignore all the other cars on the track. Seriously passing is 90% of the tension of racing!

exactly why collisions off is great!

Now when I go pass some dumb tard, and they swerve to "check me", they can just go off track....

seriously, its nice to have the option - for those that DONT want collisions...yes this is PRO mode.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Diablohead said:
Been playing A pro online for a bit, I like it so far, I saw new tracks not in the normal A listing but then people veto'd them because their corvettes can't turn corners and we ended up racing on regular tracks. Damnit so boring.
So what are the differences compared to standard A?

TofuEater

Arjen said:
Well its pretty easy to single out the idiots, they sprint away in their veyrons and skylines with top and accelaration maxed out, miss the first corner and thry to take someone out.
Just stay behind them at the start and you'll be fine, 9 out of 10 they disconnect before the first lap ends.
I ahve to say i had some great clean races this week online

Or the idiots are behind you and miss the braking mark, thinking their brakes are top shit taking you out of the track. This happened to me everytime in the first corner.

cjelly said:
So what are the differences compared to standard A?
Just imagine A class racing with no collisions, that's about it. damage means nothing as it's only going to appear when you hit a wall.

They should have disabled ABS and RACING LINE, maybe even TCS. Would also be nice if they took out the super straight tracks and mixed it up with a more twisty selection, this is PRO after all.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Diablohead said:
Just imagine A class racing with no collisions, that's about it. damage means nothing as it's only going to appear when you hit a wall.

They should have disabled ABS and RACING LINE, maybe even TCS. Would also be nice if they took out the super straight tracks and mixed it up with a more twisty selection, this is PRO after all.
I thought all the driving aids were controlled by the user.

I didn't think it was defined in the public playlists.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So... whats the deal with the pre-order cars? Weren't they supposed to be gifted out yesterday? Or will they be gifted out throughout the weekend? Apologies if this has been answered before.

Hawk SE

enzo_gt said:
So... whats the deal with the pre-order cars? Weren't they supposed to be gifted out yesterday? Or will they be gifted out throughout the weekend? Apologies if this has been answered before.

I asked earlier and no response.

They originally said by November 4th they'd start, but there's probably tons of e-mails and comments to go through...

I haven't been on since last night, was curious if anyone started getting anything

h3ro

GAF, I need an R3 car. I have about 1.1 Million in credits. I'm level 25.

Can't afford the Dyson Mazda that's dominating the time sheets, should I pick up an FXX in the auction house? I prefer handling over sheer power any day. I have a Flying Lizard GT3RSR that isn't doing it for me.

blanky

h3ro said:

Can't afford the Dyson Mazda that's dominating the time sheets, should I pick up an FXX in the auction house? I prefer handling over sheer power any day. I have a Flying Lizard GT3RSR that isn't doing it for me.

Are you talking online? Because for the SP i use the Panoz and that's treating me just fine and it's dirt cheap.

Zel3

Arjen said:
Online and Leaderbord is dominated by Viper 08, love that car to, with a good setup it's a amazing car to drive

Just completed the Sebring endurance race with it. Amazing car feels like it's glued to the floor.

I was able to make my Porsche Strassenversion go 0-60 in 2.1 seconds. :lol Got to love AWD

h3ro

blanky said:
Are you talking online? Because for the SP i use the Panoz and that's treating me just fine and it's dirt cheap.

I found an FXX selling for 206,000 on a buyout. I feel dirty. :D

Che, whats up with the Manufacturer color options not being the same when viewing them in the Buy Car section versus the Paint car section?

I want my Black FXX with Italin flag down the middle!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Iknos said:
Some of them might be specific and perhaps you haven't tried these things out yet...

1- With the MS wheel you effectively have 180 degrees of steering despite it being a 270 degree wheel. Yes this is even after removing all deadzones. When the Porche wheel is in 270 deg mode does it actually give you 270 deg steering?

I'm an uber-newbie, coul you guys point me to the best Microsoft Wireless Wheel settings? I do find it a bit "off", but I could never adjust it myself, I'm that bad :lol

I also can't custom-tune for shit, is there a website or a section on the Forza 3 forums (can't look online now) that posts the settings? Having a silver-account means I can't download them ingame -__-

TofuEater

h3ro said:
I found an FXX selling for 206,000 on a buyout. I feel dirty. :D

Che, whats up with the Manufacturer color options not being the same when viewing them in the Buy Car section versus the Paint car section?

I want my Black FXX with Italin flag down the middle!

FXX is a beast at the limit, beats so many stock R3 cars. I love the lcd screen for the rear view in the interior :lol

cjelly said:
I thought all the driving aids were controlled by the user.

I didn't think it was defined in the public playlists.
If turn10 can't force off any aids they just failed the online matchmaking HARD! seriously, forza 2 has it and it was great to know no one in the room was using baby abs, or had a huge green and red arrow around the track to help them brake on time. etc.

It was a complaint forza 1 had a lot and they fixed it for 2, now they remove it again?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
h3ro said:

dont buy the fxx, its a gift car.

h3ro

op_ivy said:
dont buy the fxx, its a gift car.

I know I'll get it once I hit Level 35, but that's 10 levels away. Plus, it's a pretty good deal at 200,000 credits for a 3 Million Cr. car. :D

Also, I can always just sell the extra one back on the auction house for a handsome profit.

Currently messing with the tuning for the FXX on the Ladera track (the wanna-be Paul Ricard) and that thing is a beast with all the aids off. I just put on a race diff to get rid of all that snap oversteer on corner exit and cranked up the rear downforce to keep the rear planted in those high speed sweepers. What a rush!

Once that Manufacturer paint glitch gets fixed up, you guys can catch me rolling in the black FXX with the Italian flag stripes down the middle. :lol

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
41pedobears.jpg

FYI DO NOT make a Pedo bear car in FM 3 :lol you'll get banned.

Jube3

haha, that pedomobile is ridiculous.

So what is everyones playtime looking like? My stats are...sad :lol

career %: 12 :lol
Cars: 108
Garage Value:
Time Driven: 27h
Time spent Tuning: 40m
Time spent Designing 140h oh jesus...
Time spent Upgrading 6 h
Time spent test driving 13h

STG

career : 26.6%
Cars: 80
Garage Value: 28.370.630
Time Driven: 24h
Time spent Tuning: 11:37m
Time spent Designing 5h
Time spent Upgrading 25min
Time spent test driving 2h

Foob

damn i dunno if its just me but im getting lag up the ass today..i am driving alone on a straightaway and it turns out i actually just rear ended some dude who votes to kick me as soon as the race is over fuck

Iknos

erahk64 said:
1- The wheel in the lower left corner on telemetry changes smoothly during 250 degrees,
it doesn't move about the last 10 degrees when turning left or right.
But it's possible to see in the behind car view that the car changes direction
during the last 10 degrees when moving and the change of car direction seems to be
linear during all 270 degrees.
I also checked camber for front wheels in "Tires, Misc" on telemetry while turning the
wheel.

3- It's easier to turn the wheel in drift mode, but I don't notice any bigger change while
the car is moving.
The difference is bigger when the car is not moving, it's much easier to turn the
wheel in drift mode.

Thanks for the detailed answers I appreciate it.

VariantX

ive seen all the screenshots and all of em happen to be at day or evening with perfect weather, do you get to race in rain/snow and at night in forza 3?

p3tran

Banned
h3ro said:

h3ro have you already been given the Viper in your career?
if yes, try my Top10 R3 AWD grip+fast tune ;)

if you want something lightning fast for R3, I can upload my R3 Audi R8 4.2 tune for you,
but its gonna be costy to buy R8 4.2 plus all mods required. I dont remember the cost, but I remember I was amazed by it lol

Darklord

Banned
VariantX said:
ive seen all the screenshots and all of em happen to be at day or evening with perfect weather, do you get to race in rain/snow and at night in forza 3?

Gotta say that's the one big issue I have with the game.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
how is this drifting in this game compared to grid?

Darklord

Banned
I downloaded the add-on card thing that came with the game, does it just auto-install or do I have to do something like disc 2?

erahk64 said:
1- The wheel in the lower left corner on telemetry changes smoothly during 230-250
degrees,
it doesn't move about the last 10-20 degrees when turning left or right.
But it's possible to see in the behind car view that the car when moving changes
direction during the last 10-20 degrees and the change of car direction
seems to be linear during all 270 degrees.
wheel.

the car is moving.
wheel in drift mode 3 (you can set drift mode to 1, 2, 3 or OFF on the wheel).

I can answer the PS3 bit, you can keep the dongle on the PS3 since when you start the wheel up it actually go into this calibration mode and to go into 360 you have to press the guide button. If you want to go into PS3 mode, you have to first go into PC mode by pressing the sync button. And then go to PS3 mode by pressing sync & back together to get it into PS3 mode.

I can't do much with it with defective pedals so no Forza 3 for me for awhile until I get the wheel back, or I will probably hook the 360 wheel back up. It's depressing and kinda annoying after all the wait to get shortty products.

lord pie

Diablohead said:
1:25 is roughly the record on that track in F3 A class right now, rather nuts.

Grip is very important on that track, try and get a real sticky car and just fly around corners.

Yeah. The car I drive the most is an RS4, so whenever I've done time trials on Lauguna Seca it's shown me the AWD leaderboard - and the top times on that are also low 1:27s.
So I was quite happy to be getting high 1:30s if I really nailed the lap. To go online and have my best times completely smashed was a bit humbling :lol

However the RS4 has a launch rating of 9.0 (or 8.9, I can't remember) So if I'm lucky I can get ahead of the inevitable first corner pile up :D

HokieJoe

Iknos said:
Sounds like all the serious racers are leaving and the hoppers are left with the destruction derby racers.

Hoppers have potential but FPS games are so much different than racing games that it should have been clear that it couldn't have been the only option.

Maybe if they got more detailed tree like:

First choose...
-> Race Mode ie. Circuit/Drag/Oval/etc.
Then choose...
-> Arcade/Sim ie. Arcade has less laps and damage off
Then choose...
-> Class ie. X/.../F
Then choose...
-> Stock/Tuned

You do splinter up people but at least they'll find a mode that suits them and they'll play online. Right now everyone's taken off and aren't bothering with online.

If they really wanted to get all innovative they could have also made a mode where you choose a car from your garage and judging from it's class and whether it's been tuned the game will find a race for you with that car. Maybe just like in the single player each sort of mode could have posters and you would choose what you would want to do.

So if I chose a Yaris that was upgraded and tuned to a C class car the game would offer me a few different online options: C class Drift race/C class Circuit/C class Drag/etc. each with their own stylish posters like in SP.

This would blur the line between SP and MP. Because you also rank up and earn credits in MP you are effectively choosing between AI and real opponents.

Thinking about it...that idea should replace hoppers. And then alongside it you would have the whole custom lobbies and searchable lobbies like in FM2.

I'd be happy if T10 had simply mimic'd PGR2's online setup. It was simple and it worked.

ChRoNiTe

Damn this game is addicting!

Career: 11.0% (lvl 35)
Current Credits: 4,262,156
Cars: 185
Garage Value: 46,446,060
Time Driven: 12h16:20
Time Designing: 1h 14
Time Upgrading: 2h 16:23

Top Bottom