• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

DarkJC

The corkscrew on Laguna Seca STILL throws me for a loop at times, and I've raced the track quite a bit in previous racing games as well :(

h3ro

DarkJC said:
The corkscrew on Laguna Seca STILL throws me for a loop at times, and I've raced the track quite a bit in previous racing games as well :(

Don't be a hero. Start your braking at the first crest, not the bump before the corkscrew. Nail the apex and enjoy the ride down the hill. :D

DarkJC

Anyone know what happens if you sell/get rid of a car you've levelled up to 5? Do you lose the discounts associated with it?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Holy, what in the fuck happens to the Veyron when you take it out on an Oval?

I was just playing Nissan Speedway - I mean, Sunset Peninsula - and when you go round the last bend, it's like the fucking car is magnetized to the outer barrier. So fucking bizarre.

Anyone know why that is? It's a really weird feeling, never experienced it quite like I have with the Bugatti.

Yoritomo

cjelly said:
Holy, what in the fuck happens to the Veyron when you take it out on an Oval?

I was just playing Nissan Speedway - I mean, Sunset Peninsula - and when you go round the last bend, it's like the fucking car is magnetized to the outer barrier. So fucking bizarre.

Anyone know why that is? It's a really weird feeling, never experienced it quite like I have with the Bugatti.

It's a 4000+ pound car doing over 200 miles an hour while banking is disappearing and have to completely rely on the negligible downforce of the car and tires to keep you planted.

Doodis

As a newcomer to this type of sim racing, I've got a question. Will I gain more credits if I race against easier AI and win, or if I bump the AI level up and place lower in the bracket?

Just got my refurbished 360 back last night and went through the first season. Had a great time and I've turned off all assists and am using manual w/clutch, but I've still got much to learn.

Flo_Evans

h3ro said:
Don't be a hero. Start your braking at the first crest, not the bump before the corkscrew. Nail the apex and enjoy the ride down the hill. :D

The problem with this is insane people behind you. :lol

When I'm online and trying to brake early for the corkscrew I usually move over to brake off the racing line.

Kawasaki

Doodis said:
As a newcomer to this type of sim racing, I've got a question. Will I gain more credits if I race against easier AI and win, or if I bump the AI level up and place lower in the bracket?

Just got my refurbished 360 back last night and went through the first season. Had a great time and I've turned off all assists and am using manual w/clutch, but I've still got much to learn.

Bonus for medium is just +5% and +15% for hard so it's not that much to be honest. I think you get a bonus for "all gold" after a championship or a season. Most of us use hard just, because we can beat it "easily", at least most of the time.

DarkJC

Flo_Evans said:
The problem with this is insane people behind you. :lol

When I'm online and trying to brake early for the corkscrew I usually move over to brake off the racing line.

Exactly :lol I'm racing online in an F430 right now and Laguna Seca came up, some douche slammed into me full throttle on the top of the corkscrew.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
DarkJC said:
Exactly :lol I'm racing online in an F430 right now and Laguna Seca came up, some douche slammed into me full throttle on the top of the corkscrew.

The first turn is fun also. And the last. Oh, and just about all the ones in between, too.

Laguna = death trap.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
DarkJC said:

level 39 and i STILL havent seen this track OR road america, road atlanta, full montserrat. i think my disc is broken, or i fail at picking race series :lol

rjcc

op_ivy said:
level 39 and i STILL havent seen this track OR road america, road atlanta, full montserrat. i think my disc is broken, or i fail at picking race series :lol

I've seen all of those at level 22-ish, I had to go out of my way to hit fujimi kaido though, haven't done le mans or a bunch of other tracks. try selecting a different car before you pick a new series, it will give you different choices.

ElNino

op_ivy said:
It all depends on what you select from the options given. As best I can tell so far (I'm only level 10'ish), you always get one race series that will let you race on new tracks, one for the car you currently using and one of a different car. If you always select the option tailored for the car you are currently in, I could see not racing some tracks until later.

DerrickH

Neo Member
I'm looking forward to a return of the weekly official tournaments.

The multiplayer needs to be changed soon though. I know its been said before (hell, its overwhelming the official Forza forums) but it's frustrating not to be able to play a sim game online as a sim. The current matchmaking rooms are all set to play like arcade racers. How about some Sim damage/real world track hoppers?

Race Pro, as ugly as it was, outshines F3 online.

ChRoNiTe

When I try to paint my Veyron using the manufacturer colors in my garage, they don't correspond to the manufacturer colors in the showroom. Seems to be true for other two-toned cars as well. Maybe I missed something, has anyone else tried this?

Yoritomo

op_ivy said:

Level 47 and haven't seen Camino (montserrat) extreme. I wish this course was in here more. I've run it in private matches and it's a blast. Turn 10 has done an amazing job. Most of my favorite courses are fictional. Maple Valley, Fujimi, Rally di Positano, Montserrat Extreme, all just absolutely amazing.

skyfinch

Who was the wise guy at Turn 10 who decided to create the Rally di Positano event with R1 cars?

That was one hell ride from beginning to end. Brutal, I tell you. BRUTAL!

Hawk SE

op_ivy said:

I had all of those, always pick where it says "Tip: See New Tracks", I got my achievement for seeing all locations last night, and I'm Level 39 as well.

ChRoNiTe said:
When I try to paint my Veyron using the manufacturer colors in my garage, they don't correspond to the manufacturer colors in the showroom. Seems to be true for other two-toned cars as well. Maybe I missed something, has anyone else tried this?

I thought I was the only one, the Ford GT and GT500 suffer from this as well. The stripes and whatnot stay white even though there are color combos that should be black or another color.

Well, I thought the Fanatec wheel was set up wrong (that's why I was looking for adjustment) after playing around with it a bit I finally figure out that the thing is defective. It seems the break pedal would randomly engage and the clutch would sometime not register the pedal press). I finally look at the performance monitor in Forza 3 to see what was going on.

*SIGH* after months of waiting now I have to get it exchange. It's been fun 3 days with the thing. May be the higher power try to tell me I should get my term paper finish.

skyfinch

Level 50 and only 25% complete. No more power ups!! :lol

Man, I should have taken care of all the E, F and slower classes first. Going from R1 races to those other classes is sickening. Doesn't even feel like the car is even moving.

HokieJoe

op_ivy said:

Seems like I picked up Leguna Seca in Class C with my NSX. I use Leguna to benchmark cars though, so I may have seen it hot-lapping or testing a tune. Can't remember TBH.

HokieJoe said:
Seems like I picked up Leguna Seca in Class C with my NSX. I use Leguna to benchmark cars though, so I may have seen it hot-lapping or testing a tune. Can't remember TBH.
lol I use to use laguna for tuning and benchmarking in forza 2 as it was the first track on the list, this time though I been using the demo circuit on extreme layout, it has like one of every corner and a huge straight for speed, real good to tune your car with.

Kawasaki

I can understand why T10 decided to leave collisions on in multiplayer, but is it just me or does it take much for a car to turn into a ghost in f3? Racing at silverstone is hell for me today, I've raced there twice and both times I've been wrecked at least once on the first lap. Some Ferrari driver just decided that we should take the scenic route on the starting straight. Can't they wait until the first corner anymore?

Btw do the tracks that are played online change on a daily basis or is it just luck? Every lobby I've joined today has had either road america, road atlanta or sebring.

DarkJC

ChRoNiTe said:

Just noticed this today too, thought it was odd. Seems like a bug.

In other news, I really should've taken a list at the prize cars you get as you level up. Nothing like spending 400k on an R2 car only to receive the exact same car as a gift on your next level.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
ElNino said:
It all depends on what you select from the options given. As best I can tell so far (I'm only level 10'ish), you always get one race series that will let you race on new tracks, one for the car you currently using and one of a different car. If you always select the option tailored for the car you are currently in, I could see not racing some tracks until later.

i try to mix up both car selected and selected race series and figured that would be good enough. guess not.

on the subject of race series, i hate that you dont get a preview of tracks included in each and once you select one in career mode, you HAVE to finish it. to make matters worse, some of the titles are misleading or confusing to these events and i have found myself on more then one occasion forced to race a horrible series i would have otherwise avoided like the plague. as an example, last night i finished an awesome "super lap days" (iirc) series where i tore around the full tracks of positano, kaido, and the ring. one of my next choices for the next series was "super speed days" (again, iirc) and i mistakenly entered into a highspeed oval only series with F class cars. PAINFUL!

Kawasaki said:
I can understand why T10 decided to leave collisions on in multiplayer, but is it just me or does it take much for a car to turn into a ghost in f3? Racing at silverstone is hell for me today, I've raced there twice and both times I've been wrecked at least once on the first lap. Some Ferrari driver just decided that we should take the scenic route on the starting straight. Can't they wait until the first corner anymore?

Btw do the tracks that are played online change on a daily basis or is it just luck? Every lobby I've joined today has had either road america, road atlanta or sebring.
Idiots veto the fun tracks because their S5's and R8's can't turn corners when too slow :lol another thing I hate is how everyone seems to go for speed more then other things, then plow into you after a long straight because they can't do anything, and are idiots.

The online maps have been the same since day 1 so far, not checked online today but still only A class and above for circuit right?

WolfgangK

op_ivy said:
i try to mix up both car selected and selected race series and figured that would be good enough. guess not.

on the subject of race series, i hate that you dont get a preview of tracks included in each and once you select one in career mode, you HAVE to finish it. to make matters worse, some of the titles are misleading or confusing to these events and i have found myself on more then one occasion forced to race a horrible series i would have otherwise avoided like the plague. as an example, last night i finished an awesome "super lap days" (iirc) series where i tore around the full tracks of positano, kaido, and the ring. one of my next choices for the next series was "super speed days" (again, iirc) and i mistakenly entered into a highspeed oval only series with F class cars. PAINFUL!

This is exactly why I bailed on the Season Career, in favor of selecting events at my own pace from the Event List. Still not perfect, but at least you don't get swept up into stuff you're not really ready for(as far as getting a car tuned. And I don't like to blindly quick upgrade, like to spend some time tuning and benchmarking first.) < It would seem that getting yanked around in the Season Career mode is not conducive to that.

Is anyone using the multiscreen option for actual multiscreen and not just the FOV trick?

I've got a triplescreen setup (24" monitors) for my PC and two 360s at home so I thought I'd try to get it going. I had everything I needed already except for another copy of the game, so I ran out and got one last night and started setting everything up.

The first pain was that you have to sit through the new game intro stuff on the second Xbox, which includes all the unskippable announcer stuff and the race in the R8. Is there a way to skip past all this and get to the menu? I couldn't find one, and it takes like 10-15 minutes!

So after that I was able to setup the multiscreen options, but at first I couldn't get a connection. The second 360 would sit on a screen that said "connecting" but wouldn't get any further. The fix (which is probably pretty obvious) was to setup a silver Live account with my profile on that 360. This updated the dash and the game, I guess synchronizing the versions, and I finally got a connection. I would have expected a "bad version" error or something rather than just continually trying to connect but hey, it's an unsupported feature so we have to expect some weirdness.

Then the first time I got into a race I got a black screen on the second view. Turned out I just needed to install the second disc, and finally everything was working! It's really nice... it looks like there's a bit of lag on the client display but it's not too bad. Tweaked the angle settings and everything looks awesome.

But do I go ahead and do the third screen? I'd need another 360, a 360 VGA cable and another bit of network cable, and yet another copy of the game. That's like $400, for ONE GAME :) The other issue is that as these are PC monitors I've got no sound. I'm not sure what to do about that yet.

p3tran

Banned
Globehopper said:
But do I go ahead and do the third screen? I'd need another 360, a 360 VGA cable and another bit of network cable, and yet another copy of the game. That's like $400, for ONE GAME :)
looks like you only need a small push ... *there you go* :D

Iknos

erahk64 said:
I have used the wheel a few hours, maybe I can answer your questions.

Sure thanks.

Some of them might be specific and perhaps you haven't tried these things out yet...

1- With the MS wheel you effectively have 180 degrees of steering despite it being a 270 degree wheel. Yes this is even after removing all deadzones. When the Porche wheel is in 270 deg mode does it actually give you 270 deg steering?

2- In 900 deg mode does the steering input look smooth on the telemetry? Or do you get the impression that the steering input and feedback is scaled?

3- Have you tried spinning the wheel in drift mode? How does it feel?

4- Have you tried it on PS3 racers? How does it feel? You may not be able to mention the specific names of racers in this thread but overall how does it feel?

5- Can you have it hooked up to your PS3 and 360 at the same time? Do you need to remove the USB connection from the PS3 to have it work on the 360?

Kawasaki

Whats up with the players today? This is pretty much the worst day I've had racing online in any game. I was just getting into first place at sedone when a wrecker(Inglorius something) crashed me to the wall so I spun. Up next was catalonia, crash right at the start. Yay, finally le-mans, a proper track with room for overtaking. I was passing an R8 driver (Button something) on mulsanne straight and he tried to block me, spun and went from 1st to 5th, because he is a dumbass. After the race he started a kick vote againts me... the wrecker trying to kick out the clean racer. GJ T10.

T10 seriously needs to play iRacing and copy their brilliant safety rating system.

HokieJoe

Diablohead said:
lol I use to use laguna for tuning and benchmarking in forza 2 as it was the first track on the list, this time though I been using the demo circuit on extreme layout, it has like one of every corner and a huge straight for speed, real good to tune your car with.

Yeah, I’m sure there are better tracks. My familiarity with Leguna makes it easier for me to gauge setups though. I’ll give the demo circuit a go sometime.

rjcc

WolfgangK said:
This is exactly why I bailed on the Season Career, in favor of selecting events at my own pace from the Event List. Still not perfect, but at least you don't get swept up into stuff you're not really ready for(as far as getting a car tuned. And I don't like to blindly quick upgrade, like to spend some time tuning and benchmarking first.) < It would seem that getting yanked around in the Season Career mode is not conducive to that.

Except that's not the case. Just whichever car you want and you'll get events tailored to that car. Want to switch cars? Hit b when you choose an event, choose a car and go back in.

Flo_Evans

Arjen said:
Im still amazed at the amount of people online racing, only 134 in S class today.

It's kind of sad. I wonder how many are in private lobbies? If "matchmaking is the future" of multiplayer, how come there is no-one playing it?

Kordos

rjcc said:
Except that's not the case. Just whichever car you want and you'll get events tailored to that car. Want to switch cars? Hit b when you choose an event, choose a car and go back in.

It would be nice if you could "reject" certain suggestions (i.e. all the speedway ones) - seems like it "forces" you to do the recommendations before it will give you new ones.

But whatever, it's still a nice innovation. Not quite an RPG, but with a game of this breadth, I think that's tough to pull off.

Kordos

Gotta be more than that... they wouldn't fragment the A-class population just for a limited damage option, would they?

Any drivetrain or assist restrictions?

DarkJC

Kordos said:
Gotta be more than that... they wouldn't fragment the A-class population just for a limited damage option, would they?

Any drivetrain or assist restrictions?

No, only restriction is A class. All assists allowed, all A class cars allowed.

Kawasaki

Flo_Evans said:
Pro is no collisions? WTF kind of sense does that make? Pro should be no assists, full sim damage!

Pro gamers don't want to get wrecked in the first corner. This is almost the best news I've heard all day.

Flo_Evans

Kawasaki said:
Pro gamers don't want to get wrecked in the first corner. This is almost the best news I've heard all day.

Might as well do time trails and race ghosts IMO if you are just going to ignore all the other cars on the track. Seriously passing is 90% of the tension of racing!

Pro using no collision is good for now, test the waters and see how it goes. but I am so AGAINST having all aids optional in a PRO game, turn off ABS and RACING LINE at least, TCS should only be off if the game is limited to RWD only, otherwise the AWD will just win while the other cars wheelspin.

BTW online I never use ABS, I break better without it.

Top Bottom