• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

Gynoug79

i am getting annoyed with racing the same 5 tracks against the same 5 competetiv cars over and over and over ! Its not that i hate matchmaking but the way its been handled since launch is a bit strange to me...
First we get only A-R1 class racing instead of perhaps a mix of fast and slow cars which would have given people the chance to race their "own" cars and the ones they dream of !Not being able to tune the R cars left me with A and S class hopper which are completly domiated by S5 and the AWD Viper ! No way you are going to beat them in a RWD car on any of those 5 tracks which the hopper system comes up with, especially not in 3 laps. So the usual race is decided by who gets the pole, assuming pole guy knows what he does and the rest of the pack plays fair !

I expected RWD/FWD hopper or a hopper with longer tracks like the Nordschleife or La Sarthe where you could actually catch up ! But NO..Same problem with the the lower classes now as well ! B class is as well dominated by a couple of AWD cars because of the track choice again and no RWD/FWD option !

The same thing is happening in C Class ! AWD VW R32, AWD Scirocco and AWD Audi TT 07 blow everthing out of the water....

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Jube3 said:
The second one is the same car but the #9 Patron Tequila livery. That logo took forever to make man, I was nerd raging on that bee lol.
Well, very nice work Jube :)

It's nice to turn on Forza 3 and find cars in my mailbox, it certainly makes the LCE purchase even more vindicated.

In other news, I think I have finally become as fast with my 360 wheel as with a controller, the learning process is harder, but the fun factor is 10x as high.

My M3-GTR A class is retired now, it's no match to the S5's and other 4WD cars no matter what tune I use or make, turn10 need to fix their broken PI system for all wheel drive vehicles.

I moved onto the Alfa 8c and swapped out the RWD for a 4WD motor, weight went up but PI went down, I was able to easily get 0.8 more speed out of the 4WD setup also and it turns well. No matter what mods I do on the car when it is rear wheel it is no match and a few seconds slower no matter what.

4WD takes the weight up to around 3200kg, RWD drops it about 250kg but with a higher final PI, this is before I even add tyres and shit. Spent hours trying setups to find it was always about 2 seconds slower.

Broken PI is broken, annoying as shit. Let's not get into a talk about the S5's.... ooh boy.

Gynoug79

yeah if there were at least some restriction in the hoppers system aside from the drift and Drag ones we could enjoy our RWD cars ( got a B Class M3 GTR which is suffering the same fate ) online ! i dont care that much about the leaderboards so i would be fine if the hopper system would acutally use the many setup features available ! i would of course favor a revised PI System but i guess we will only see a correction of cerrtain cars...

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
skyfinch said:
900,000 copies sold worldwide since launch. Is that good or bad?

Shipped, not sold.

On another note, Yamauchi said a couple of days ago that GT5 budget was $60M, I wonder what kind of budget Turn10 got and how far they are from making a profit with F3.
I think it's a fantastic game, shame that Europe especially is so much rooted in the GT series and that Microsoft failed in attracting the quite large EU Playstation GT crowd.

Dash Kappei said:
Why so many cars have a right-hand drive? Is it possible to change that?

Also, is it there a settings (or has Turn10 commented on the matter) to have your view shift left or right as you turn with the racing wheel (like if you were moving the right analog stick when driving with the controller)?

Anybody?

h3ro

Che, do the VIP gift ARXs have a special tune on them or is it a default tune that is locked because it is a gift car?

I'm just curious because I don't want to unlock the tune and lose a special tuned version of the car.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
h3ro said:
Che, do the VIP gift ARXs have a special tune on them or is it a default tune that is locked because it is a gift car?

I'm just curious because I don't want to unlock the tune and lose a special tuned version of the car.

I also find it annoying I can't just save the VIP livery and make my own as well as be able to use the VIP one. You wouldn't be able to sell the VIP livery anyways because it's locked so I don't understand why I can't do this.

thatbox

Banned
I'm not a big sim-style racing fan, but I can at least appreciate the genre. Doug Elfman, the guy who writes a nationally syndicated weekend column about videogames, apparently can't. Just for shits and giggles, here's what he said in this week's edition:
I've got two somewhat disappointing video games this week. Or as I declared on Facebook, "meh."

Of the two, the better game is the racing simulator Forza Motorsport 3. It's a pretty good racer for those of you who enjoy car simulators. You'll recognize this simulator routine:

In the offline solo campaign, you start with slow cars, then upgrade your tires and other technical bits, win races, and thereby win money to buy faster cars and better tires for future, faster races.

That solo racing comes with a cheat-rewind button that changes the dynamic of this being an exacting racing simulator. If you mess up while turning a hairpin curve, or making a different mistake, the rewind button lets you do a do-over of the last five seconds or so. That's a handy little invention.

Motorsport's online campaign is like most racers. You keep your pedal to the metal and try not to spin out, while other gamers try to bump you off the road. Also like many games these days, Motorsport is way more fun in online competitions than if you play alone against the computer.

This is a big game that comes with two discs worth of 400 cars and plenty of tracks, lined with pretty mountains and other natural vistas. My one obvious piece of advice: make sure you buy great tires. This game is all about upgrading your cars, and good tires keep you moving smoothly around corners.

My only complaint with Motorsport is -- since it's not one of those racers with turbo boosts and explosive bombs to throw at competitors -- all you do is press the gas pedal and memorize tracks. To win, just don't spin out much, and get good at knowing when to pass a car in front of you. Easy-peasy.

The new fighting game, Tekken 6, is also simplistic in execution.

Tekken 6's offline solo game comes with a campaign botched with stupid cinema cuts that take forever to skip through; you play through dumb third-person challenges that are brief and clunky; and when you get to arena tournaments, fights turn from super easy to super hard in about five minutes.

Online, Tekken 6 is more fun. But the technical lag is unacceptable; my games suddenly slow down to accommodate computer communications between my game machine and my rivals'.

This is the worst thing: I'm not great at fighting games anymore (I'm rusty at 'em), yet I easily win non-ranked online fights against gamers, simply by mashing the crap out of buttons -- instead of the usual fighting-game challenge of having to memorize choice moves and position myself for strategy.

It can be fun to win easily. But when I play Tekken 6 and Motorsport 3, my mind drifts, thinking about all kinds of nonsense, like, "Should I buy a pool table for the spare den, or put a bouncy castle in that room?" That's my problem with fun but shallow games like these. Their ease of use lets my brain wander stupidly. I need less stupid in my brain, not more.
- http://www.jconline.com/article/200...plistic--you\-ll-drift-off-while-playing-them

He also goes on to call MW2 "Modern Combat 2" in his section on new and upcoming releases. He's usually not this bad, but today's column was just so ludicrously incorrect that I had to share. It's usually all about presenting games to the non-gaming public, and Forza is a perfect game for such a writeup - he could have mentioned all of the driving assists, the car customization, how it tries to bridge the gap between casual and hardcore racers - but instead he just completely misses the point.

Zel3

The non working cockpits in certain cars is quite disappointing. Hopefully it can be patched since I enjoy the game so much. :(

Darklord

Banned
Man, that guy sounds like a complete tool. No guns so it sucks? Give me a break. It's a racing game...you race...what does he expect?

Arucardo

Zel3 said:
The non working cockpits in certain cars is quite disappointing. Hopefully it can be patched since I enjoy the game so much. :(
What do you mean by that? I haven't noticed anything like that.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
The best estimation for worldwide numbers would be the circuit leaderboard, no?

That's at ~667,000 right now.

Arucardo said:
What do you mean by that? I haven't noticed anything like that.

He means some of the cars display the speedometer and tachometer and others don't. This happens in the race cars.

Arucardo

Weird, haven't noticed any problems with the speedometer or tachometer with any R2 or R3 cars I've driven. Both the R2 and R3 are a handful to keep in check with a gamepad and no assists on :lol , the FXX is pretty easy to drive though.

Yoritomo

So... I guess I'm not going to bother trying to buy the Unicorn cars. There must be some money cheat or I'm an idiot and can't figure out how multiple auctions are in the 50 million range.

blanky

Arucardo said:
Weird, haven't noticed any problems with the speedometer or tachometer with any R2 or R3 cars I've driven. Both the R2 and R3 are a handful to keep in check with a gamepad and no assists on :lol , the FXX is pretty easy to drive though.

It's just a few cars like the C6.r's, BMW GT 2, Nissan GTR GT500 and several others.

DarkJC

Yoritomo said:
So... I guess I'm not going to bother trying to buy the Unicorn cars. There must be some money cheat or I'm an idiot and can't figure out how multiple auctions are in the 50 million range.

I know that people like Jube have made millions off the storefront...but the 50 million range sounds pretty up there. Haven't heard of a money cheat or anything though.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Actually, the Elfman quotation is pretty accurate in terms of how the average, non-specialized person would look at Forza 3 and Tekken 6. The language he used may be hurtful to the hardcore sim racer player or the fighting game fan, but the gist of it is accurate. Note that he doesn't misrepresent what's in Forza 3 at all.

But to a lot of people, just racing around bland tracks (and Forza 3 is a bland world. I'm playing the game. I like it. It's bland. That's /okay/, the meat of the game is elsewhere) is kind of pointless. There may be a lot of gearhead time and knowledge involved in tweaking and tuning cars and time trial testing them. There may indeed be a good deal of physical skill evolved in, eventually, racing high level players online. But a game like Forza 3 doesn't present the same kind of exciting and gripping world of drama that say, Burnout Paradise does to anyone who is not a fan of cars purely for their own sake.

Tekken, for its part, my gawd, it is a mediocre release in everything but the core fighting system. Bland, insulting "story" mode, bland story, increasingly obscure hyper manga stereotype characters - it's cool to me because I'm a fan. I can't blame a lot of people for thinking Tekken is quite boring and offers little that is engaging to the imagination though.

Elfman's definition of "shallow" is probably the only controversial thing there, but I'd suspect the way he is using it is in the sense that neither game has anything to it besides fascination with the technicalities of a fighting system and a driving model + car tuning. Hell, I like Forza 3 and even I miss the greater variety of events and goals in games like Grid or PGR.

DarkJC

I'd say his assertion is that Forza 3 is easy peasy because you just drive around in circles and slam the gas is pretty misrepresentative of the game...but then I realized that if you're playing with most assists on it probably is like that =/

Stop It

Kaijima said:
Actually, the Elfman quotation is pretty accurate in terms of how the average, non-specialized person would look at Forza 3 and Tekken 6. The language he used may be hurtful to the hardcore sim racer player or the fighting game fan, but the gist of it is accurate. Note that he doesn't misrepresent what's in Forza 3 at all.

But to a lot of people, just racing around bland tracks (and Forza 3 is a bland world. I'm playing the game. I like it. It's bland. That's /okay/, the meat of the game is elsewhere) is kind of pointless. There may be a lot of gearhead time and knowledge involved in tweaking and tuning cars and time trial testing them. There may indeed be a good deal of physical skill evolved in, eventually, racing high level players online. But a game like Forza 3 doesn't present the same kind of exciting and gripping world of drama that say, Burnout Paradise does to anyone who is not a fan of cars purely for their own sake.

Elfman's definition of "shallow" is probably the only controversial thing there, but I'd suspect the way he is using it is in the sense that neither game has anything to it besides fascination with the technicalities of a fighting system and a driving model + car tuning. Hell, I like Forza 3 and even I miss the greater variety of events and goals in games like Grid or PGR.

Regarding the bolded, speak for yourself.

I am a racing fan, I love F1, BTCC, MotoGP, Le Mans, basically thing that goes fast round GP tracks and what you just called "bland" is exactly what I love, mainly, because it is far from it. I know, (and for some reason many Americans can't seem to realise this) to many Europeans, and especially people in the UK, pure, proper racing is in their blood, and they like nothing more than to see it simulated in as close to reality fashion as you can get.

Forza 3, while obviously Turn10 tried to appease those who, frankly, have no place even approaching a sim racer, is still a sim at heart, and if you cannot see that racing round the worlds best GP tracks is exactly why many people play the game, then well, I don't know what to say. If anything, the game needs MORE world leading GP class tracks; Where's Donington? Spa? Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Monaco Albert park etc? That discounts the huge amount of excellent Touring Car class tracks throughout the EU, all of which would provide a perfect setting for new tracks for Forza 3.

Frankly, I would rather see a console racer developer have the balls to focus on the racing. Sure drifting, drag racing and P2P is fun, but frankly, I want to see a magnificent racer, rather than a great jack of all trades like Forza 3 is.

DarkJC said:
I'd say his assertion is that Forza 3 is easy peasy because you just drive around in circles and slam the gas is pretty misrepresentative of the game...but then I realized that if you're playing with most assists on it probably is like that =/
FPS games are easy peasy, all you have to do is find people to shoot and shoot them!!!

Honestly, assist argument aside, Forza 3 is a great example of a game that is easy to get into, yet damn hard to get really good at. I am a top 5% ish racer, and that's because I know my racers, but I still took a good long time to learn the tracks (even the GP ones that I know so well that I can visualise them in my head) and the sheer variety of cars/classes means the gap between doing ok to doing very well at the game is very, very large.

Brakara

duderon said:
The best estimation for worldwide numbers would be the circuit leaderboard, no?

That's at ~667,000 right now.

I thought only 50-60% of all 360 owners have an XBL account (Silver or Gold)? I wouldn't be surprised if Forza 3 has already sold close to a million copies. The NPD numbers may have been disappointing, but the game has shown some great legs (so far) in the European charts.

Iknos

Kaijima said:
Actually, the Elfman quotation is pretty accurate in terms of how the average, non-specialized person would look at Forza 3 and Tekken 6.

Replace "Forza 3 and Tekken 6" with "videogames" and that's how it is by a lot of people.

You can break down any videogame into "you press buttons to make your guy go through a level" to describe Tomb Raider or Uncharted. "Beat up your enemies before they beat you to beat the Virtual* Fighting 5 game."

Elfman is worried about spinning out and surviving the track. Maybe he finds that aggravating and stressful. He's not the only one.

Racing sims are in my opinion a fairly niche genre especially in North America. We can all think of one console sim racer that has garnered a lot of attention here but much of that has to do with the fact that it's some of the best looking games of it's time when they are released. The "eye candy" factor does more to people than the actual racing aspect. I have friends who even after attending LAN parties just weren't into racing.

Compare the attention Race Pro and Ferrari Challenge gets compared to NFS or GRID/DIRT. I'm guilty of this too. RP and FC didn't run at 60fps and so I've wrote them off as being a day one purchase. They also don't look as sexy as other 30fps racers as NFS or GRID and that hurts too. How many iRacing subscribers are there now? How many active rFactor racers are there from North America? Why aren't we seeing a next gen Richard Burns Rally-esque game? These games are automatically at a disadvantage because they are sim racers.

Supercar Challenge is not even being published in the US AFAIK.

So I can't blame T10 for making their game more accessible in all aspects. The issue here with sales could be because they haven't really communicated that to the general public. The TV ad says nothing about the sort of casual friendly features it has.

I also think what could have hurt is that there was no easily accessible quality wheel for the 360 still. Hey I've ordered a Fanatec but there's a limited supply of them and they're pretty expensive. The 360 really needs a DFP equivalent at least. DFP is a 900 degree sturdy wheel that clamps well and is available for only $99. Could be even less now with all the new Logitech wheels out.

Though I mention these factors I have to say that Turn 10 did their job. They created a spectacular racer that does things no other sim racer has ever done. They are leading in innovation and the critical acclaim is there. They've made an intimidating genre approachable to those who typically despise it and came up with ideas that I hope that all other developers implement in the future. The "favourites" idea is pure genius and the storefront is the sort of stuff Halo 3 and LittleBigPlanet wishes it had.

MS on the other hand deals with the advertising and availability of peripherals. I think it's those areas where the ball was dropped. Even the area of grassroots advertising it was killed when an MS penny pincher decided that bandwidth for high resolution and quality pics would be too costly.

I only care about sales in the sense that it will to a degree guarantee a sequel and guarantee some more flexibility for the developer. The Forza series have really paved the way for innovation in sim racers and I'd like that to continue. With a game that can get near universal praise from reviewers I hope MS sees that they have a diamond here that could very well be the best in it's class...we don't know yet. Maybe in the future MS can give T10 the resources and flexibility it needs just as Sony has given resources and flexibility to Polyphony Digital. And if it weren't for Sony having faith in their developer we wouldn't be even talking about half these games if any.

*Elfmanism

Jube3

DarkJC said:
I know that people like Jube have made millions off the storefront...but the 50 million range sounds pretty up there. Haven't heard of a money cheat or anything though.

50 million range is most likely legit, but it would mean that person is dumping everything hes saved into that one car, A lot of the hardcore guys run endurance races too without a hired driver which racks in money if you have the patience lol. The RX-7 is a very popular drift car. Ive made about 40 million off the AH and I've given out most of my cars for free and dont race that much (and when I do I dont come in first haha). So yea 50 million is insane, I would never spend that much on a car lol I need the rx-7 to finish off the unicorn set, I got the camaro and SS a little bit ago and I went all in to get them before people got their savings up.

So...does anyone want to Gift me some cars from FORZA 2 to help me get some achievements?

What are you looking for? I have a ton of cars in f2.

Zel3

blanky said:
It's just a few cars like the C6.r's, BMW GT 2, Nissan GTR GT500 and several others.
#008 Bell Motorsports Racing DBR9
#007 Aston Martin Racing DBR9
#92 Rahal Letterman Racing M3-GT2
#50 Corvette Racing C5.R
#4 Corvette Racing C6.R
#72 Team Alphand Aventures 550 Maranello GTS
#88 Veloqx/Prodrive Racing 550 Maranello
#11 Labre Competition 550 Maranello GTS
#2 Toll Holden Racing Team Commodore VE
#33 Garry Rogers Motorsport Commodore VE
#39 Supercheap Auto Racing Commodore VE
#51 Sprint Gas Racing Commodore VE
#25 Eclipse Advan Toyota SC430
#43 Gulf Team McLaren F1 GTR
#23 Nissan Motorsports R390
#12 Calsonic Skyline
#23 Xanavi Nismo Nissan GT-R
#3 Hasemisport Endless Z
#46 Team MOLA Dream Cube's ADVAN Z
#12 Calsonic Impul Nissan GT-R
#23 Xanavi Nismo Nissan GT-R
#24 Woodone Advan Clarion Nissan GT-R
#3 YellowHat TMS Tomica Nissan GT-R
#5 OPC Team Phoenix Astra V8 Coupe
#9 Peugeot Sport 908
#35 Yellow Hat YMS Supra
#6 EXXON Superflo Supra
#25 Eclipse Advan Toyota Supra

According to the Forza forum it's all these cars. I haven't been able to check them all out for my self but its quite a big list. On the plus side some of these cars have alternative versions with working dashboards.

Jube3

I wonder how these leaderboards work, I lost a rank to someone who has really awesome stuff (back to the future delorean) but only 4000 downloads. Gonna have to work to get that number 1 spot back :D

blanky

Jube3 said:
I wonder how these leaderboards work, I lost a rank to someone who has really awesome stuff (back to the future delorean) but only 4000 downloads. Gonna have to work to get that number 1 spot back :D

probably a combination of download/rating ratio i think.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
It's probably been asked, but hell, I'll ask anyway: is this worth picking up?

Stop It

reilo said:
It's probably been asked, but hell, I'll ask anyway: is this worth picking up?
No, we all hate the game, it's shit, avoid.

Anyway, I just broken my FXX on Silverstone Intl Track. There I was, happily racing away as I entered lap 3/3 when the car decided to downshift from 4th to 3rd on a straight bit. End Result: The engine and transmission pretty much die and I spend the rest of the lap (6 seconds slower than the last) hoping it doesn't explode.

I'm not sure why it happened (I keep my fingers off of the paddles on the 360 wheel to avoid such a situation), so it was either a mis-shift or the game decided I was pushing too hard and tried to kill the car.

Still, the FXX is awesome; very, VERY fast, yet it's not easy to drive, in fact it's a car that if treated badly, will throw you into a wall without a seconds notice. Love it.

blanky

Stop It said:
No, we all hate the game, it's shit, avoid.

Anyway, I just broken my FXX on Silverstone Intl Track. There I was, happily racing away as I entered lap 3/3 when the car decided to downshift from 4th to 3rd on a straight bit. End Result: The engine and transmission pretty much die and I spend the rest of the lap (6 seconds slower than the last) hoping it doesn't explode.

I'm not sure why it happened (I keep my fingers off of the paddles on the 360 wheel to avoid such a situation), so it was either a mis-shift or the game decided I was pushing too hard and tried to kill the car.

Still, the FXX is awesome; very, VERY fast, yet it's not easy to drive, in fact it's a car that if treated badly, will throw you into a wall without a seconds notice. Love it.

I've experienced a similar thing 3 times or so now, a shift out of nowhere. Really annoying, but I just rewind it. I've also had the guide pop up without even being near the button twice.

Also P3tran, your Mazda R2 is awesome! Used it the whole time during season 5. Got my Level 50 with Jube's Acura (white one). Haven't got any endurance races in my seasonplay, I'm quite dissapointed with it actually. It's so limited in its options, almost seems randomn sometimes. I wish it gave you more than just 3 options. The new track becomes obsolete after you've had the achievement.

Arucardo

The FXX has been the easiest one to drive fast so far from the R3 cars I've tried, that is with no assists and a gamepad. Is it me or is the matchmaking really slow right now? maybe it's just MW2 that's causing it.

lord pie

Diablohead said:
I am getting sick over my head now with the audi cars online, they dominate, broken fucks.

My favorite car has always been the RS4, which I've always painted and tuned up myself - but I've been really surprised just how many S5's there are. I've had games where there were 7 S5's.. I've yet to see another RS4 though.

Jube3

Chrange said:
Who had a Bugatti and doesn't have hands-free?
That guy.

Driving a car that can go that fast at the press of that pedal would keep me from blinking let alone talking on a cell phone lol.

Willectro

Banned
I bought Forza 3. Still sealed until I finish Dragon Age. :lol Is the LE version worth it? Should I trade up to it? I'm not a massive forza fan, but like racers in general. What should I do GAF?

Jube3

will52 said:
I bought Forza 3. Still sealed until I finish Dragon Age. :lol Is the LE version worth it? Should I trade up to it? I'm not a massive forza fan, but like racers in general. What should I do GAF?

Gamestop dropped the LE down 10 bucks so its a pretty nice trade up. With the extra LE & VIP cars and the usb stick you get with it it not a bad deal. :D

Top Bottom