• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

So I am assuming the limited edition verzion of forza 3 is the definitive version as it has the extra tracks and cars that u cant get with the regular right? like theres really no point in buying the regular version?

rjcc

Fixed2BeBroken said:
So I am assuming the limited edition verzion of forza 3 is the definitive version as it has the extra tracks and cars that u cant get with the regular right? like theres really no point in buying the regular version?

there's no extra tracks in the LE and only a few exclusive cars.

blanky

Fixed2BeBroken said:
are the exclusive cars worth it though?

I would think they are being that this is in game stuff and not just some fluff extra

Yeah if you like the ZR-1/F430 Scuderia/911 GT3 RS/DB S/Gallardo Superlegera and VIP status might be neat.

rjcc

Fixed2BeBroken said:
are the exclusive cars worth it though?

I would think they are being that this is in game stuff and not just some fluff extra

I thought so, so I bought it. but you don't have to.

Hawk SE

SuperEnemyCrab said:
U also get a really boss Forza keychain and a semi useful 2gb USB thumb drive. Oh and a premium theme for the 360 dashboard.

But a quick google search will get you the URL to the "exclusive" theme...

Iknos

MagniHarvald said:
I really really really wanted this *cries* What if I don't want to drive that leaderboard car, yet still compare myself to others? Leaderboards per car/track with a filter to only view the stock car times as well please? :) If not in a patch, then at least in Forza Motorsport 4 Forza Watersport? :D

I figured one reason was because those leaderboards would add up. 115 tracks times 420 cars means 46000 leaderboards.

Separate tuned and stock for each car an it's over 90000 leaderboards.

It would have been nice. I don't know if it's feasible.

DerrickH said:
The only thing you can do is load a saved tuning setup, which is only feasable if you save a setup for each car on each track. And even then you cant make any changes to the tune. Wanna add some downforce or adjust the spring rates between racing on Maple Valley and Road Atlanta? Can't do it. Wanna have a session where you and friends hot lap around a course, tweaking your setup till you get it dialed in? Cant do it in F3.

A decent workaround is to play with your friends via party mode. This way people can drop out of the lobby to tweak their car and then hop back in.

The ideal solution is having a "track day" where you can hot lap and tweak your settings on the fly just like the test drive mode. Friends can drop in and out and all that junk. It could even be labeled as "practice day" to be followed by "qualifying day" and then finally "race day".

It seems that FM3 has all of these elements in place and they need some programming to string it all together.

All 3 "days" could play out like how "heats" are handled in MP. The difference is that each heat has different end requirements...which is what you set up for MP modes anyways. So that's a tiny bit of programming needed to make this happen.

The track day could be a lobby where it is just like Test Drive mode where you can tweak your car while on the track. The only new programming needed is to be able to support people jumping into and out of the track during the meet. Jumping out is useful if you wanted to buy some parts or even change the car. In the end it's just like the test drive mode. The end requirement is "time" and it could be set to 5-10 minutes or whatever the host wants.

The next event is the qualifying trials and it can be just like a normal race set to 3 laps where the collisions are off and the opponents can't be seen at all. Winner is the one who posts the best lap time. The only programming needed is to make your competition completely invisible in this mode. The win condition is already there in the MP mode options.

The last "heat" is the race itself. Grid is based on heat points...which is something you can already do. This means that the grid is based on the fastest times from the qualifying trial from fastest to slowest. This is run like any other race.

T10 probably considered this stuff and wondered if anyone would be interested in this and probably came to the conclusion that most wouldn't. They could be right.

Maybe they felt that most people going online want a quick race and that's it. Ironic considering that most of the single player events from season 3 onward get fairly long with 7+ laps.

This whole 3 heat setup where you have 10 minutes practice and tuning followed by 3 lap qualifying and X lap race could add up. But a good argument could be made that gamers will see this as a good thing. They'll take racing a bit more seriously just like PC racers. They see it as a racing event rather than just an online race. By the time the actual race comes around the quality of driving will be much higher because people have gotten used to that particular track with their particular car and they understand all the new braking and accel points they want to hit.

Yeah I know the game is finished. Please don't read this as a negative rant. I'm just pointing out that all the building blocks are in the game already. The "heat" system is there and just needs to be tweaked. The ability to create an online qualifying mode is there and just needs to be tweaked to make the competition invisible. The "practice day" track meet mode where you can tune your car on the track is there in single player and just needs to be adapted to multiplayer. It would be best if you had to pit in to tune rather than anywhere on the track IMO...at least for multiplayer.

So it's all there and just needs to be stringed together with a bit of programming. The only question is whether or not it is worth it to T10. And that depends on whether or not FM3 owners would see value in something like that.

Obviously not many people are digging the current system...so it's not like people just want to go online and join a hopper and race.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
cjelly said:
I love the online in this game. Got my B Class Fiesta, and my A Class Focus all tuned up.

So funny tearing around in a little Fiesta. :D

I have a B500 Fiat 500 that I use in the B class hopper. Aside from a terrible launch and bad understeer if I screw up my braking zone since it's FWD, this car SCREAMS. It's only 1,793 lbs @ 275hp. :lol

C and D class hoppers are rolling out shortly once we get them tested internally.

Isn't there some kind of plan for on-line tournament? I remember reading it somewhere that was in the card.

I listen to Major Nelson's podcast interview of Dan Greenwalt and he seems to be saying that new track DLC is not very cost effective and they are still mulling over if they will add track.

TofuEater

Iknos said:
I figured one reason was because those leaderboards would add up. 115 tracks times 420 cars means 46000 leaderboards.

Separate tuned and stock for each car an it's over 90000 leaderboards.

It would have been nice. I don't know if it's feasible.

You could only have the tracks, the cars would just be a simple filter for wouldnt it?

blanky

That B hopper is great! I took my 944 and raced on Silverstone, Tsukuba and Sunfield. Some ass in a Maserati was hitting everyone but the rest was pretty clean, I came 4th/5th and 3rd, sadly when I got third the first two were 1000meters ahead(why not seconds.. meters are to abstract) so apparently you dont get credits or whatever if you dont finish :( Very tense though, lagging cars are very annoying however. I saw this guy crash or overshoot his corner 5 times and still somehow magically make it through, he dropped out later after i overtook him.

Iknos

TofuEater said:
You could only have the tracks, the cars would just be a simple filter for wouldnt it?

That was something I thought of too but that would mean that every person would have multiple entries on the leaderboard. Potentially a person could have 400+ entries in there if they drove all 400+ cars. Double that number if you make the distinction between "stock" and "tuned" which I do think would be ideal. So you could have 115 leaderboards for all the tracks but they would be many times larger. Say the average is that a person drives 100 of the 400 cars. You're making the list 100 times larger. Quite a large factor.

chespace said:
I have a B500 Fiat 500 that I use in the B class hopper. Aside from a terrible launch and bad understeer if I screw up my braking zone since it's FWD, this car SCREAMS. It's only 1,793 lbs @ 275hp. :lol

C and D class hoppers are rolling out shortly once we get them tested internally.

The most fun I've had so far online in FM3 has been the B class hopper so I look forward to this. I've had some solid R1 and R3 races too but the B class hopper was a step above in terms of fun. Looking forward to C and D class.

p3tran

Banned
Iknos said:
That was something I thought of too but that would mean that every person would have multiple entries on the leaderboard. Potentially a person could have 400+ entries in there if they drove all 400+ cars. Double that number if you make the distinction between "stock" and "tuned" which I do think would be ideal. So you could have 115 leaderboards for all the tracks but they would be many times larger. Say the average is that a person drives 100 of the 400 cars. You're making the list 100 times larger. Quite a large factor.
databases can handle this sort of record data without breaking a sweat.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
This weekends VIP car revealed.

It's by Jube. :)

4099474058_81b0fb456f_o.jpg

Jube3

cjelly said:
This weekends VIP car revealed.

It's by Jube. :)

:D This one will be slightly different than the one in my storefront, I redid a lot of the logos to make them look better and cleaned up the colors.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
BenjaminBirdie said:
Ooh will there be one every weekend?

That would be friggin amazing. <3 my VIP membership. Is that an all-original design or what? Though what happened to everyone though? Thread activity died down :(

No one will buy anything off of my desolate storefront too :(

I might just end up getting the achievement for having one car from each manufacturer just off of this :lol

Finally got the game and played until 3am. Really fun game. We're buying all the worst cars for fun. Yaris oh yeah

I'd not quite sure why I have a racing line indicator on 'hard' mode. And the car upgrade menu is clearly style over substance- a real pain to navigate.. Fortunately the racing is good.

Iknos

enzo_gt said:
That would be friggin amazing. <3 my VIP membership. Is that an all-original design or what? Though what happened to everyone though? Thread activity died down :(

I was very close to buying that design too until I realized how much the car to put it on cost. I'm pretty poor in this game and I'm scraping by with a minimal amount of cash. So it's great to get it as a VIP.

I haven't been posting much since I've been playing a lot. And when I'm working I avoid this thread to get more work done so I can play more.

I wish the game had some features and I think some decisions were bad but on the whole the game is still excellent and simply commands your time like few other games.

There is another racer that is often compared to Pokemon because you want to collect all the cars. In FM3 you not only want to collect all the cars...you want to EXPERIENCE all the cars. Not just driving them all. Painting and tuning too. Upgrading cars to see how they could turn out.

Part of the reason why I'm so poor is that I'm turning these F class cars into A class cars just to see how they would behave. And depending on the car you have choices in what sort of drivetrain and what new engine to pop in there so one can can effectively have 3-4 variations in engine and drivetrain.

I'm not at the point where I'm buying 4 of the same car to try these all out but I will be once I'm done the career.

For this reason I'm really glad all the cars found here are really diverse.

Lothars

Has anyone recieved the preorder cars from the Forza Forum where you had to send in a picture of a reciept and play the demo?

I sent it in before the deadline and still haven't recieved anything, is it possible that they haven't sent it yet or where would I check to make sure that I never missed them?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
So what the consensus on difficulty? I've managed to turn all assists off, including ABS, and do manual (haven't tried clutch yet) but driving seems easier so far in comparison to Forza 2 with the same settings. Not really a complaint mind you, I am pretty much in love with the feel of the cars, but just wondered if anyone thought the same. It could also be that I've only managed to race using an A class so I haven't experienced the beast cars yet. Btw, graphics are beautiful. Just so sublime.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Lothars said:
Has anyone recieved the preorder cars from the Forza Forum where you had to send in a picture of a reciept and play the demo?

I sent it in before the deadline and still haven't recieved anything, is it possible that they haven't sent it yet or where would I check to make sure that I never missed them?
They sent them out last weekend. You could try e-mailing forzafb@microsoft.com with your Gamertag and asked why they missed you.

bob_arctor said:
So what the consensus on difficulty? I've managed to turn all assists off, including ABS, and do manual (haven't tried clutch yet) but driving seems easier so far in comparison to Forza 2 with the same settings. Not really a complaint mind you, I am pretty much in love with the feel of the cars, but just wondered if anyone thought the same. It could also be that I've only managed to race using an A class so I haven't experienced the beast cars yet. Btw, graphics are beautiful. Just so sublime.
I think it is commonly thought that there is a level of assistance by default when using a pad. Using a wheel removes that. Apparently.

Jube3

enzo_gt said:

No one will buy anything off of my desolate storefront too :(

I might just end up getting the achievement for having one car from each manufacturer just off of this :lol

Modern Warfare happened haha. Theres like 6 MW2 threads on the frontpage constantly. This is a replica design not an original. Its based on the Jim Hall Tribute De Ferran drove at his final race (think it was at laguna seca).

Iknos

cjelly said:
They sent them out last weekend. You could try e-mailing forzafb@microsoft.com with your Gamertag and asked why they missed you.

I did get some cars but I'm not sure if these were for that whole pre-order receipt deal. Is there a list of gifted cars that have been sent out and for what reasons? I did get my Zune car by listing my 10 favorite songs to "race to".

I think it is commonly thought that there is a level of assistance by default when using a pad. Using a wheel removes that. Apparently.

It's easier even with the wheel. I think it's because the center of gravity for each car is more realistic this time around. So there is more weight on your tires and therefore more grip more often. In FM2 it was real easy to lock up your brakes because of this.

The tire deformation also changes the nature of your contact patch and slip angles and so in other games where you would hit a slip angle and lose traction this game takes into account the amount of flex in your tires. This also helps you keep grip.

Just like in FM2 the controller helps. Using the MS wheel or the controller both allow you to counter steer very easily making drifting real easy. This means that you can prevent or mitigate spinouts before they occur. Many times when I do spin out I am able to make it so I'm just perpendicular to the track in a worst case scenario. Once I play with a 900 degree Fanatec wheel I'll be spinning around more. Though I suck at racing I am good with steering because of my steering technique which is influenced by stunt driving and not racing.

I do have some reservations about the characteristics all related to it being easier to control. For example sometimes I feel I have enough torque in a RWD car to cause a loss of traction but I don't get it. When I upgrade the engine and give it a few more HP I'm able to get it to do it. I get the impression that it's all there in the physics and I do get the impression that this is a new benchmark in console racing game physics. But when driving stock it feels that some cars are a bit underpowered in terms of getting them to lose traction. The telemetry shows me how much HP is being generated and at the same time show me that the tires are hanging on. I've been playing the hell out of this game and will do a comparison with others once I get my Fanatec wheel. Hopefully sometime in December. I wonder what everyone here thinks about it.

chase

This is a really good game. It does a great job of making you want to play "just one more" series, and its fun enough to make doing so worthwhile. I've been ratcheting up the difficulty (I turned traction control back on after getting my first 'S' car :lol ) and it definitely gets more satisfying. The storefront is more fun to explore than I would have thought as well.

I'm jealous of all you car-nuts; it must be great to have such a mostly accurate representation of your passion. But it's fun for plebs as well.

Yoritomo

Jube3 said:
Modern Warfare happened haha. Theres like 6 MW2 threads on the frontpage constantly. This is a replica design not an original. Its based on the Jim Hall Tribute De Ferran drove at his final race (think it was at laguna seca).

Well I know I had to take a little break. I have 100+ hours racing according to my profile, my fanatec wheel isn't here and I'm finishing too much of career mode too fast. :lol Gonna play through a couple of games then come back.

Oh and Hard, with no assists, (not even ABS or traction control), racing R1 races is pretty hard. I have to admit I don't think I could win these without using rewind once or twice. Passing that R1 995 diesel cleanly is pretty much impossible without an alignment of all the planets.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Just raced on Amalfi Coast full for the first time. Wow. Just jaw-droppingly beautiful. On another note, did a search for "Bubblegum Crisis" in the storefront and was pleasantly surprised to find 3 designs. No Priss yet though.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
The AI is so dumb on Fujimi Kaido using any of the Rx Class cars. :lol

They're like the Red Arrows. :lol So scared to overtake one another, and constantly braking to stop themselves hitting in to one another, all without realising it's one of the widest tracks in the game. :lol

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Why so many cars have a right-hand drive? Is it possible to change that?

Also, is it there a settings (or has Turn10 commented on the matter) to have your view shift left or right as you turn with the racing wheel (like if you were moving the right analog stick when driving with the controller)?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
h3ro said:
Thanks for the Acuras, Che! :D

Keep the VIP cars coming!

I got two as well but only downloaded one. Is the second one different? Or there to sell on the auction house to reg edition owners for extra monies?

op_ivy said:
fanatec is pissing me off. we get updates on the wheel, but no updates on the rennsport stand. the website still says it will be in stock late october and i cant get any response from their customer support for an update. :/

Same problem here. I'm beginning to regret my purchase . . .

h3ro

enzo_gt said:
I got two as well but only downloaded one. Is the second one different? Or there to sell on the auction house to reg edition owners for extra monies?

One is the amazingG il deFerran tribute livery done by Jube and the other is the same car done up in the updated Patron livery.

I'm guessing we'll seeing quite a few of the Patron liveried ARX-02s populating the auction house.

skyfinch said:
900,000 copies sold worldwide since launch. Is that good or bad?

I think that's pretty good ... where you get the info?

Othere camp would have you think it's bomba because it's sold only 175k in the US last month.

h3ro

cjelly said:
Why when I tint the windows on a Race car, does it completely remove the default liveries and just give me a stupid grey car?

Yeah, any change to the default look of a race car takes away the race livery. :/

All I want to do sometimes is just change the color of the wheels but doing so wipes the car clean. I wonder if Turn 10 could change that with a patch and let us change wheel color/window tint separate from the Painting section that gets locked out on a custom or race livery.

h3ro said:
Thanks for the Acuras, Che! :D

Keep the VIP cars coming!

This is an extraordinarily dumb question, but how do you get the VIP cars? I bought the limited edition, but I can't log in right now so I don't know where to look.

professor_t said:
This is an extraordinarily dumb question, but how do you get the VIP cars? I bought the limited edition, but I can't log in right now so I don't know where to look.

It's gift to you from Turn 10, usualy show up in the corner that you got mail.

Jube3

enzo_gt said:

The second one is the same car but the #9 Patron Tequila livery. That logo took forever to make man, I was nerd raging on that bee lol.

Top Bottom