• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
HokieJoe said:
Bring back night racing @ Tokyo! And while you're at it, I want Blue Mtn dagnabbit.

i'd take tokyo @ day as well (if the night poses problems for f3's lighting). and rio. and the shipyards. and... you get the idea. bring on track DLC. i'll take remakes from forza 1's fictional, new fictional tracks (rally esque ala amalfi), or more real life ones (spa, phillip island, bath, etc)

Going by what the community manager said on FM.net:

It will feature the following restrictions/settings:

-Force off TCS
-Force off STM
-Force off Autobrake
-More Laps

This hopper isn't currently live but will go up once we've rolled out the E and F class categories.

So ABS and Racing line are still available? -.-

Am I the only one who does not use ABS because I can actually stop a car faster without it?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
erahk64 said:
For those waiting for Fanatec Rennsport wheel stand, new info has been posted by Fanatec.

http://www.911wheel.de/?q=node/2764
They also have a wheel update for the first cargo shipment:

The fist container arrived in the USA but the shipment got stuck in customs. They thought that the prducts might be pirated so now we have to proof that we have the authorisation to use the Xbox and Porsche logos.

The container in the EU will arrive in time next Wednesday.

Don't want to be rude (again) but do Turn10 actually understand how dominant AWD cars are? another quote from the community manager:

So you think those AWD's will still be dominant with assists forced off? If both the RWD circuit and professional hoppers do well then yes we may be able to add a second professional hopper limited to RWD.

Again this is all about the numbers. If we see something take off then we won't hesitate to develop that area further.

Also what classes do you see the most AWD's in circuit racing?

What utter failure, do they even play there own game online more then once in the wild? Nearly every class is dominated by AWD because of the broken PI, removing traction control will do nothing, because you don't even need it in the first place for AWD cars...

It's not hoppers which need tweaking, it's the PI system.

G Rom

Diablohead said:
So ABS and Racing line are still available? -.-

Am I the only one who does not use ABS because I can actually stop a car faster without it?

No, you're not the only one. I let it on at the beginning of my career but ended up turning it off. I couldn't stand the way it completely stopped braking so that the wheels didn't lock. I think the ABS acted more like a real one in Forza 2.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Diablohead said:

i use it, but i do my best not to let it get activated under braking conditions. even with abs, i too have found that through better management of applied pedal pressure, i can slow down the car more efficiently.

it stays on though just in case i lose concentration. i dont want to end up into a barricade or pit of gravel because of a lock up.

G Rom

Am I the only one to have problems trying to reach FM.net ?
The forums are fine but I can't go to any other section...

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
MotorbreathX said:
Nope. Same here.

Hmm, the site comes up for me. Are you still seeing the issue? Anyway, if you're still can't access the site for some reason, PM me please.

Also, as for AWD -- you do realize that just as in real-life, AWD cars are also better at grip and launching? Introducing RWD-only circuit lobbies in our playlist will help equalize the multiplayer scene. But then again, nothing is stopping you from bringing an AWD car to the race either.

As for the scoreboards, folks will find new cars to dominate the top ranks in the weeks and months to come.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Dear Turn 10,

Adding Matchmaking hoppers for every single possible scenario is not a solution to the online problems.

What most people want is a bit of a focus for the online hoppers, adding so many hoppers is doing just the opposite. It gives the impression no one has any idea how Matchmaking hoppers are going to work going forward.

Ultimo hombre said:
All those MP options and no custom lobbies. tsk tsk tsk.
I have yet to play an online game where custom lobbies actually work effectively. They are always run by some shitty little kid who kicks anyone at the very sight of them possibly being anything close to half-decent at the game.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
cjelly said:
Dear Turn 10,

Adding Matchmaking hoppers for every single possible scenario is not a solution to the online problems.

What most people want is a bit of a focus for the online hoppers, adding so many hoppers is doing just the opposite. It gives the impression no one has any idea how Matchmaking hoppers are going to work going forward.

I have yet to play an online game where custom lobbies actually work effectively. They are always run by some shitty little kid who kicks anyone at the very sight of them possibly being anything close to half-decent at the game.

We are working on an even distribution of hoppers and figuring out where the happy medium is for them, i.e., at which point do you splinter off from the most popular hopper and build new ones derived from its success. I'm also looking into what the minimum numbers are for hoppers to remain active.

I am definitely wary of introducing too many hoppers. The whole point of them is to funnel players into focused matchmaking experiences so they can hone their craft against a standardized ruleset. However, we will be opening a new category called The Playground which will be a more community driven experimental area where we put up new hoppers to test the waters. If they stick and feedback is good, we take that into consideration and maybe keep it around the permanent set in lieu of a less popular hopper.

I also agree with the sentiment that custom lobbies just don't work for me anymore. The notion of going into someone else's lobby and having them control every bit of the ruleset at their moment's whim was very frustrating for me in Forza 2. I don't typically have a garage full of customized/tuned cars in every class as I tend to focus based on what my interest is at the moment (and it's C class right now). What used to happen was that someone would change the race class or some other detail and I'd have to switch to a stock car and instantly lose interest. etc. etc.

Anyway, it's an ongoing evolution as we continue to watch where the community gravitates in multiplayer.

cjelly said:

I played a lot of PGR3 online. Worked fine. They could easily add the option along with hoppers. Then do some stat tracking on what the userbase gravitates to.

chespace said:
Hmm, the site comes up for me. Are you still seeing the issue? Anyway, if you're still can't access the site for some reason, PM me please.

Also, as for AWD -- you do realize that just as in real-life, AWD cars are also better at grip and launching? Introducing RWD-only circuit lobbies in our playlist will help equalize the multiplayer scene. But then again, nothing is stopping you from bringing an AWD car to the race either.

As for the scoreboards, folks will find new cars to dominate the top ranks in the weeks and months to come.
I understand and thanks for explaining, but two cars with the same PI, 95% of the time the AWD car is faster, better and will win. Yeah AWD have advantages and suffer from some understeer (before being tweaked and tuned) but this means I should just only drive AWD cars online until I am forced into a rear wheel one? PI doing a bad job there imo.

---

Someone earlier who was speaking some euro tongue I could not understand tried to kick me because my trueskill was 5 higher then him, :/ then of course because most people voted no to the kick I end up being a punch bag for half the race...

FM.net myforza and that new photo area have been down for me all day.

Jube3

Man its so hard trying to keep up with the designer leaderboards, once a nice car gets featured it goes flying up the leaderboards. I have free time this weekend so ill have the christmas cars ready to go :D

DerrickH

Neo Member
chespace said:
I also agree with the sentiment that custom lobbies just don't work for me anymore. The notion of going into someone else's lobby and having them control every bit of the ruleset at their moment's whim was very frustrating for me in Forza 2. I don't typically have a garage full of customized/tuned cars in every class as I tend to focus based on what my interest is at the moment (and it's C class right now). What used to happen was that someone would change the race class or some other detail and I'd have to switch to a stock car and instantly lose interest. etc. etc.

See, my experience is the exact opposite. For the past 3 weeks I've yet to have a 'fun' night racing in the hoppers. Custom lobbies worked well because if by some chance, I didn't find a room that was running what I wanted to run, I could start my own and sure enough, I'd find other racers who wanted to race 10 laps on Road Atlanta in S class cars with Sim Damage and Suggested line turned off.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but the great thing about the custom lobbies was that even the minority was able to find people to play against. With the hoppers, thats never going to happen. Last night I took my PI 526 Celica into the A Pro hopper. I was the only one in there. 1 player. Luckily 1 other guy showed up after a while, so for 30 minutes 2 cars raced around. It was kinda sad.

Maybe one day the hoppers will be great, but by definition, they'll never have the same range that the custom lobbies had. For hoppers to be a replacement for the previous system, there would need to be a few dozen hoppers (there arent) and a whole lot of people playing online (there arent.. less than 800 right now according to my 360) It would've been very nice to have both systems.

D

Lothars

DerrickH said:
See, my experience is the exact opposite. For the past 3 weeks I've yet to have a 'fun' night racing in the hoppers. Custom lobbies worked well because if by some chance, I didn't find a room that was running what I wanted to run, I could start my own and sure enough, I'd find other racers who wanted to race 10 laps on Road Atlanta in S class cars with Sim Damage and Suggested line turned off.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but the great thing about the custom lobbies was that even the minority was able to find people to play against. With the hoppers, thats never going to happen. Last night I took my PI 526 Celica into the A Pro hopper. I was the only one in there. 1 player. Luckily 1 other guy showed up after a while, so for 30 minutes 2 cars raced around. It was kinda sad.

Maybe one day the hoppers will be great, but by definition, they'll never have the same range that the custom lobbies had. For hoppers to be a replacement for the previous system, there would need to be a few dozen hoppers (there arent) and a whole lot of people playing online (there arent.. less than 800 right now according to my 360) It would've been very nice to have both systems.

D

I agree with you, I think it's preferable to have Custom Lobbies, but I don't think you are in the minority at all.

GuessWho

i have a bigger problem then awesome awd cars; when i see fuckn shit ass datsun zipping pass my lambo well now you just have to ask yourself wtf is this?

Yoritomo

chespace said:
Also, as for AWD -- you do realize that just as in real-life, AWD cars are also better at grip and launching?

Then their PI should reflect that. Yet in most cases in the game you can swap an AWD drivetrain in, apply weight reduction so it's back at or below the original cars weight before the drivetrain swap... and you're right at the same PI. For a test run of this look at the 370z.

I have an A600 370z RWD at 3021 lbs
Swap to AWD and it goes to A563 at 3273
One more level of weight reduction and I'm at A600 2962 lbs with AWD...

Makes no damned sense.

lord pie

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but there is a bug in the leaderboards.
Basically, for the full leaderboards it repeats the car models every 100 entires..

I'm 625 on the Camino Viejo A-class leaderboard in an Audi RS4. If I scroll down to where I am, it says I was driving a Porsche Cayman.

The guy at no. 25 on the leaderboard also drove a Porsche Cayman, as did 125th, 225, 325, 425 and 525. The same for 24th, 23, etc. :lol Although it seemed to change as I swapped filters. At one stage every 25'th was a Dodge Viper. :-(

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
lord pie said:
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but there is a bug in the leaderboards.
Basically, for the full leaderboards it repeats the car models every 100 entires..

I'm 625 on the Camino Viejo A-class leaderboard in an Audi RS4. If I scroll down to where I am, it says I was driving a Porsche Cayman.

The guy at no. 25 on the leaderboard also drove a Porsche Cayman, as did 125th, 225, 325, 425 and 525. The same for 24th, 23, etc. :lol Although it seemed to change as I swapped filters. At one stage every 25'th was a Dodge Viper. :-(
Didn't the BF1943 leaderboards have a very similar bug to this?

I think they fixed it without it needing a title update, as well, so I guess it's just a back-end issue.

45% through Career mode and the new tracks seem to be under used. I've only raced on Montserrat Extreme twice and raced way too many times on:

-Catalunya(Most boring race in the F1 calendar and its equally boring in Forza)
-various layouts of Motegi(what a piece of shit track)
-Silverstone(not fun in slower cars, great in R2+ cars to take advantage of the high speed turns)
-New York-basically a drag race to each corner/chicane
-Amalfi-great track but the majority of races on it are with the wrong cars(R1/2/3 etc.), oh great a 5 lap race in Amalfi with R1 cars. I'll just keep the car in 2nd/3rd gear the whole race.

acm2000

ExtraKr1spy said:
45% through Career mode and the new tracks seem to be under used. I've only raced on Montserrat Extreme twice and raced way too many times on:

-various layouts of Motegi(what a piece of shit track)
-Silverstone(not fun in slower cars, great in R2+ cars to take advantage of the high speed turns)
-New York-basically a drag race to each corner/chicane
-Amalfi-great track but the majority of races on it are with the wrong cars(R1/2/3 etc.), oh great a 5 lap race in Amalfi with R1 cars. I'll just keep the car in 2nd/3rd gear the whole race.

wat?! one of the greatest tracks in racng, along with suzuka...

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Dear Turn10, if you fucked up my $2000 speakers with the shitty sound engineering of Forza 3 I'm going to fucking sue you.

Thxbye
Still loving the game!

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
ExtraKr1spy said:

You suck (but at least you understand why Silverstone exists, which is a start).
MotorbreathX said:
Suzuka is great. Silverstone is garbage.
You REALLY suck.
Mohonky said:
Nope it's boring. Get rid of it.
You're boring, go away.

Anyway, going to do a bit of Fiat 500 racing with a UK Forza community today if all goes well, should be a laugh, heh.

I really have a hard time driving RWD cars without traction control using the wheel. The rear always go out everytime I push on the gas. I try to be gentle with the gas but I always loose contol...

ShapeGSX

antiquegamer said:
I really have a hard time driving RWD cars without traction control using the wheel. The rear always go out everytime I push on the gas. I try to be gentle with the gas but I always loose contol...

Set the accelerator and braking dead zones to 0 to 100%. Default is something like 0 to 80%.

I'm rendering an entire 3 lap race from last night which was more or less me in a lambo against a pack of audi cars :lol I wa spun out twice but still won!

Can't wait to see an RWD hopper for circuit racing, getting sick of using AWD just to have a chance of winning.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
My idea for a hopper:

- Everyone has the same stock car from class F through to S; a random car is chosen by the game for each race.
- Random track for 7 or so minutes of racing, so as to include Rally di Positano, Nurb and Fujimi Kaido.

Ziploc

Neo Member
Yoritomo said:
Then their PI should reflect that. Yet in most cases in the game you can swap an AWD drivetrain in, apply weight reduction so it's back at or below the original cars weight before the drivetrain swap... and you're right at the same PI. For a test run of this look at the 370z.

I have an A600 370z RWD at 3021 lbs
Swap to AWD and it goes to A563 at 3273
One more level of weight reduction and I'm at A600 2962 lbs with AWD...

Makes no damned sense.

It is sad that this is true. I can see why AWD cars are raping classes. A shame really. I was really hoping F3 would embrace and reward RWD drivers since it required more skill to get right. Instead they coddle AWD drivers who get to forget about things like oversteer and throttle control.

cjelly said:
My idea for a hopper:

- Everyone has the same stock car from class F through to S; a random car is chosen by the game for each race.
- Random track for 7 or so minutes of racing, so as to include Rally di Positano, Nurb and Fujimi Kaido.

I would love this.

Hawk SE

Jube3 said:
Man its so hard trying to keep up with the designer leaderboards, once a nice car gets featured it goes flying up the leaderboards. I have free time this weekend so ill have the christmas cars ready to go :D

I'm already sold on the idea!

rjcc

chespace said:

isn't that exactly what the PI is supposed to reflect? I should be able to bring a car that's not AWD with a same PI that will compete with it. Right now I can't. As I understood it, that was the point of the system.

rjcc said:
isn't that exactly what the PI is supposed to reflect? I should be able to bring a car that's not AWD with a same PI that will compete with it. Right now I can't. As I understood it, that was the point of the system.
zing! someone else understands!

Top Bottom