• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

G Rom

Well, it's not shit, it's just useless for racing.
On in other hand, it would be great to test setups as it's made for this. :D

acm2000 said:
why would you vote for top gear track? its really shit....

spa on the other hand.... GIMME
I would love it just to compare to the stig, and messing about for replay editing (like benchmark ring)

SmokyDave

acm2000 said:
why would you vote for top gear track? its really shit....

spa on the other hand.... GIMME

Because it's the Top Gear track? You know, the track from the most popular car show in the world?

Also, technically speaking it's not 'really shit'. It was designed by the engineers at Lotus to stress all aspects of a cars handling over a short distance.

Oh, and The Stig loves it. So there ;)

Yoritomo

SmokyDave said:
Because it's the Top Gear track? You know, the track from the most popular car show in the world?

Also, technically speaking it's not 'really shit'. It was designed by the engineers at Lotus to stress all aspects of a cars handling over a short distance.

Oh, and The Stig loves it. So there ;)

He also has a claw for a foot and is afraid of ducks. Who can really trust the Stig?

SmokyDave

MagniHarvald said:
So, where do we see what Manufacturer Level Rewards we have? Am I blind, or has it disappeared?

As far as I can tell, it's done on a per car basis and it is the little number next to the car name in the garage. I have no idea why it is on a per car basis, it makes the whole thing pointless as by the time you hit level 5, you probably already upgraded your car. The way it worked in Forza 2 was perfect.

ShapeGSX said:
Maybe he doesn't. Maybe that's the reason the Black Stig quit! "If I have to take one more lap of this stupid course again, I'll drive off the end of an aircraft carrier!"
That was in protest at being taken away from his beloved track. Honest.
Yoritomo said:
He also has a claw for a foot and is afraid of ducks. Who can really trust the Stig?
Some people say that. All we know is, he's called The Stig.

I don't even bother with those discount levels in 3 or 2, if the item I want has 10% off then so be it, but I don't go out of my way for any of it.

Magni

If you mass produce certain cars, having 50% off on some, if not all, parts helps. In FM2 you also had the region discounts, so for example you could sell an upgraded European car to a NA player for 200 kCR when it cost you 125 kCR for example, but would have cost him 250 kCR on his end. Win-win.

SmokyDave said:
As far as I can tell, it's done on a per car basis and it is the little number next to the car name in the garage. I have no idea why it is on a per car basis, it makes the whole thing pointless as by the time you hit level 5, you probably already upgraded your car. The way it worked in Forza 2 was perfect.

Well I have 40% off on some Ferrari parts already, so it can't be on a per car basis, no? I thought it was like in FM2 only you couldn't see what you had already unlocked at any time..

SmokyDave

MagniHarvald said:
Well I have 40% off on some Ferrari parts already, so it can't be on a per car basis, no? I thought it was like in FM2 only you couldn't see what you had already unlocked at any time..

Aah, I might be wrong then. I was going off the fact that if you get Ferrari 'A' to level 5 and then get into Ferrari 'B', you'll be back at level 1. I'm sure in Forza 2, Ferrari 'B' would have already been at level 5.

Regardless, because of the obfuscatory nature of the loyalty system, I completely ignore it.

Looks like my Rennsport Wheelstand finally shipped (U.S.). I was beginning ot to worry that I would finish the game before it even got here.

Now I can suck in style!

Gek54

Finally got pedal adapters and got try the wheel and 900 degree mode. Thee steering seems linear at first, the car slides in a straight line if I lock the wheel all the way in one direction but if I get the car sideways it still feels like there is some stability control going on as its way too easy to correct the car or keep it in a drift. Im fairly decent at keeping unruly car in order in real life but I am not this good. I knew this behavior was present with the 360 controller and MS wheel but I wrote it off as a result of dynamic steering ratio used to make these more limited controllers more playable. I was hoping it would not be an issue with a 900 degree mode with linear steering. First impressions, pure driving pleasure with the Fanatec wheel is a bit meh. Im not too impressed with the wheel in RBR either. I think I wont sell my G25 just yet.

SmokyDave said:
Aah, I might be wrong then. I was going off the fact that if you get Ferrari 'A' to level 5 and then get into Ferrari 'B', you'll be back at level 1. I'm sure in Forza 2, Ferrari 'B' would have already been at level 5.

It's true the car would be level 1, but you carry over your manufacturer discounts you earned in the level 5 car. And it was the same in Forza 2.

erahk64

Gek54 said:
Finally got pedal adapters and got try the wheel and 900 degree mode. Thee steering seems linear at first, the car slides in a straight line if I lock the wheel all the way in one direction but if I get the car sideways it still feels like there is some stability control going on as its way too easy to correct the car or keep it in a drift. Im fairly decent at keeping unruly car in order in real life but I am not this good. I knew this behavior was present with the 360 controller and MS wheel but I wrote it off as a result of dynamic steering ratio used to make these more limited controllers more playable. I was hoping it would not be an issue with a 900 degree mode with linear steering. First impressions, pure driving pleasure with the Fanatec wheel is a bit meh. Im not too impressed with the wheel in RBR either. I think I wont sell my G25 just yet.

According to Insidesimracing, there is a improvement if degrees of rotation
is changed before starting up Forza 3 compared to changing it after it has started.
Did you change/set degrees of rotation before starting up Forza 3?

Magni

What should I do June 12th? Go to Le Mans, or go the the Stade de France watch Muse? Dilemmas dilemmas :lol
It'd be the first race I'd watch in person, does anyone from T10 know if they'll be there? I'm guessing not now that the game is out, but still..

Gynoug79

if your friend has XBL the the best would be just to go to the storefront and search for track specific setups...he could take a look at the leaderboards before to see which cars are on the top.
Without knowing what class and restrictions they are running it is difficult to make a suggestion.

SmokyDave

MagniHarvald said:
What should I do June 12th? Go to Le Mans, or go the the Stade de France watch Muse? Dilemmas dilemmas :lol
It'd be the first race I'd watch in person, does anyone from T10 know if they'll be there? I'm guessing not now that the game is out, but still..

First bolded part is the question, second bolded part is the answer. Go to Le Mans. It's an incredible event, the motor museum is fantastic (and the staff are lovely) and nothing compares to the smell of burning rubber & petrol.

You know it makes sense ;)

Edit: Guy below me (Drastic), your avatar upsets Google Chrome, it brings up a malware warning.

Drastic

I've been an avid T10 fan, but my patience is growing thin.

It's been out a month and still no "hopper" for any type of sim racing.

3 laps? really? It takes 1-2 just to build up heat in the tires. I'm sick of these little sprints.

Maybe it's just me, but this feels like an experiment in killing the MP side of a series. All the people on my FL who were F2 faithful seem to have lost interest already.

And whose bright idea was it to call playlists "hoppers?" Just another sign of little to no experience in building/running a matchmaking setup.

Gek54

erahk64 said:
According to Insidesimracing, there is a improvement if degrees of rotation
is changed before starting up Forza 3 compared to changing it after it has started.
Did you change/set degrees of rotation before starting up Forza 3?

That didnt help, still feels like stability control is active. Slight improvement when sliding the outer dead zone down, I seem to have it down to around my preferable 540 degrees software side. Even with the inner deadzone dailed out in the settings, there seems to be a lot of force feedback deadzone near the center, linearity doesnt seems to be 1:1. Not quite sure exactly what it is yet but it definitely doesnt feel right. Im also thinking that it being belt driven doesnt help. I guess some people like the smooth and dampened force feedback that you get with the belt but to me I feel like I am losing out on precision and crucial feedback. I think I would much prefer cogs over belt.

ShapeGSX

Drastic said:
3 laps? really? It takes 1-2 just to build up heat in the tires. I'm sick of these little sprints.

That I'll agree with. Plus if you mess up the 2nd lap, you basically get nothing out of it. 1st lap isn't a flying lap so you don't get a good lap time. 2nd lap is critical. If other cars are outclassing you, you might not finish the 3rd lap due to the 30 second countdown.

Maybe it's just me, but this feels like an experiment in killing the MP side of a series. All the people on my FL who were F2 faithful seem to have lost interest already.

Why not just start a private room and invite them to it? Because the private race options are absolutely incredible. I was in a full private room last night, and it was awesome.

Is there a GAF Forza 3 Friends of Friends list?

I agree with the tyres, it takes 2-3 laps to heat them up when I am tuning my car so only doing 3 laps at most tracks you only get 100% grip about 50% into the race, it seems to catch a lot of people out too who think their car can take the first or second corner fast but in fact fail.

I still prefer the matchmaking/hoppers over open lobbies which ment a lot of times the admin of the room would abuse and kick you for doing something, but they need to do something more about it, the thin online player count is also worrying.

When are turn10 bringing out that extreme play list or whatever che called it, more laps and forced RWD?

Drastic said:

And whose bright idea was it to call playlists "hoppers?" Just another sign of little to no experience in building/running a matchmaking setup.

I've pretty much relegated Forza 3 to a SP experience. The MP could have had good intentions and might have looked good in the planning stages but for many reasons, it simply did not execute well. I hope they can do an overhaul but I don't think they will. I might do the occasional race with friends but it's worth trying the regular MP only to get frustrated and end up disliking the game. The gameplay and the rest of the game being outright amazing is really what makes it sting even more.

erahk64

Gek54 said:
Even with the inner deadzone dailed out in the settings, there seems to be a lot of force feedback deadzone near the center, linearity doesnt seems to be 1:1.

I checked the camber for the front wheels in telemetry, the camber change seems linear when turning the wheel in 900 degree mode.
But maybe it's not the best way to see if it's linear, I'm not a expert in this area.

Drastic

ShapeGSX said:
Why not just start a private room and invite them to it? Because the private race options are absolutely incredible. I was in a full private room last night, and it was awesome.

Is there a GAF Forza 3 Friends of Friends list?

When the game came out we could get 3-5 people racing privately at once, but I'd prefer a full grid.

Now I'd be lucky to get 2-3.

If they had worked on the playlists, I mean hoppers, in a timely fashion it might have made a difference. I can't fathom what technical hurdles could be causing them to drag their feet like this. I read a couple weeks ago something about being patient because they had to translate the hopper descriptions into 7 languages and whatnot, but that's a ridiculous excuse for their current lack of MP support.

SP is a bit boring, and I can distract myself with AH and SF for a while, but had I known they were going to botch the MP like they have, I'd have saved my money and bought it this Fri for $35.

Stings since this is the first pre-order/LCE I've ever bought. Likely will be the last.

>When are turn10 bringing out that extreme play list or whatever che called it, more laps and forced RWD?
Supposed to be middle of this week, but since that's about passed, I'm not holding my breath. They've been saying "soon" for a couple weeks now. And I've got a feeling they're going to offer something less than what most have asked for. (Limited tracks, limited laps, some assists still on, etc.)

These guys talked up a great game, and delivered an awesome product that only fell short (and hard) in multiplayer, which unfortunately is where the longevity (legs in T10 speak) is for most titles, especially racing.

Where are the talking heads now? It's like they pushed it out the door and called it a day. It's either that or they simply don't know what they're doing, and therefore shouldn't be trying to handle matchmaking.

hgplayer1

Drastic said:

Totally agree that the hoppers should have some longer races mixed in. The races are sprints for the most part and appeal to the masses so I can see why this is the rule rather than the exception.

Having said that I much prefer F3 multi to F2. I like being able to find a lobby that will actually start and continue for as long as people are there.

I dont get why your friends who were F2 faithfuls would be losing interest. You can play F3 multi the exact same way you did on F2. Create a custom lobby and invite friends. The only thing Im not sure about is how easily people can search for those custom games.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
A Class Expert PLAYLIST (no assists, sim damage) just went up, along with a Tag Keep the IT PLAYLIST.

It's in a new category called "The Playground".

Go check it out. Thanks for being patient. :)

chespace said:
A Class Expert PLAYLIST (no assists, sim damage) just went up, along with a Tag Keep the IT PLAYLIST.

Are races 1-2 laps longer in this mode? will check it out in the morning, thanks!

Ziploc

Neo Member
Will you guys ever fix the clutch sync in replays? My shifts sound so bad in replays, but are done perfectly in the lap. Using controller and button clutch.

:(

I was :mad: when I saw the new gift car. I thought it was the same Lamborghini we get as a level-up gift. Then I was :O and :) when I realized it wasn't. Good deal!

chespace said:

I played Tag earlier tonight and I have to say it was a lot of fun and frankly well suit for public playlist.

There seems to be more people on-line , it was over 500 tonight ... though I would think a game like Forza 3 we would have at least several thousands...

UltimateIke said:
I was :mad: when I saw the new gift car. I thought it was the same Lamborghini we get as a level-up gift. Then I was :O and :) when I realized it wasn't. Good deal!

That Mucierlago is actually very good for me in that Tag game in the playground.

G Rom

Can't wait to see the shifting animation. It will be a nice addition. :D

It also means that the game seems to be rather flexible in term of updates. Non working cockpit gauges will hopefully be the next thing fixed. :D

Shaneus

So, I haven't fired this up for a few days and found an update... what's it do? From what I can see on FM.net, it has shifting!

WTG, T10... listening to your market = fucking awesome.

Edit: Handbrake, too. Woo! PS. I'm in AU for those wondering.

sinnergy

Shaneus said:
So, I haven't fired this up for a few days and found an update... what's it do? From what I can see on FM.net, it has shifting!

WTG, T10... listening to your market = fucking awesome.

Edit: Handbrake, too. Woo! PS. I'm in AU for those wondering.

For real? All cars? That's fucking awesome.

Shaneus

Yep, all cars. Paddle-shift cars even just have the fingers flick when changing gears. Only thing I've noticed (and don't even care about, it's just interesting) is that there's no changing gears anim. for reverse. But like I said, it's just interesting... I couldn't give two shits when they've even included stuff like e-brake animations!

PS. Che, any way we can see a list of those glitches that have been fixed? Just curious... I wasn't even aware there were *any*!

eso76

Wow, wasn't expecting shift animation to make it via patch.

Now, not that i ever really missed them, but considering how much people complained about the lack of shifting animations, i would expect a fucking Rio Carnival going on in every street of the world right now.

one of the great things about that new A class Expert playlist, is it is 90% good racers in there. I spent most of last night in there, and every race was with good, competitive drivers.

I think knowing a crash will ruin you makes drivers care a bit more. great playlist.

"IT" is an interesting distraction, and probably functions as a great scrub trap...keeping the idiots off the real races.

Gynoug79

Diablohead said:
Are races 1-2 laps longer in this mode? will check it out in the morning, thanks!

Yes they are longer and i had some good racing last night in the A Expert hopper !
Catalunya short was like 8 laps, Sedona was 6 Laps etc.
There were a few people who cant read or dont know what sim damage means and palyed their usual bumber car game but they all quit out very early :lol
The longer races enable you to wait for the pack to crash themselfs in the first corner and then you can start your catch up...
Good to know T10 is indeed listening i lost a bit of that feel because they were very silent in the last month but it seems they are back.

But as we are never satisfied :D how about you add the Nordschleife to the A Class Expert hopper....

Top Bottom