• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

Psychotext said:
I hate shifting animations... but its still pretty cool that they've put them in.
That threw me off a good time attack lap earlier, it's nice to have them but I become so use to static hands somehow it was messing up my corners :lol

Drastic

chespace said:
A Class Expert PLAYLIST (no assists, sim damage) just went up, along with a Tag Keep the IT PLAYLIST.

It's in a new category called "The Playground".

Go check it out. Thanks for being patient. :)

For reals? No assists? Awesome!

And did you add some laps? And add some track variety?

Getting excited, will be trying this out after overeating today.

Drastic said:
For reals? No assists? Awesome!

And did you add some laps? And add some track variety?

Getting excited, will be trying this out after overeating today.
Is it still allowing AWD to dominate? you would be silly to use a RWD without TCS to even attempt to keep up with an S5 :/ hard enough as it is.

skyfinch

Wow, didn't think they'd patch in shift animations. I didn't even know it was even possible to add in such a thing after a game's release. Great job, Turn 10.

G Rom

I'm really digging the shift animations, it isn't perfect (paddle shifting is weirdly slow and stick shifting takes too much time to go back to the wheel IMO) but it makes the cockpit view a lot less static.

While I was doing the R3 Championship with my FXX (which has no shifting animation BTW !:lol ), I remembered that feature list leak from the famous TofuR. The driver animations were part of the features supposedly cut because of time constraint. It would be really cool if Turn 10 patched in some of those other "supposedly" cut features like active aero (would add a lot to realism, especially in replay IMO) and the non working gauges. The highest LOD in replay would also be cool for close-up.

Of course I wouldn't expect weather or night racing do be just patched in. :lol
If those features ever make it in Forza 3, I'm guessing it would DLC.

I would love to see the high poly models used in a replay, right now some of the close ups looks rather tacky.

*edit* my forza still randomly locks up my 360 when I enter a lobby, for no reason at all the game and 360 just hangs without any sound the moment I join one.

FFS 2nd time now when selecting my car, bullllllllllshit

Actually managed to have 2 great races online with all 8 finishing thanks to this new 'hopper'. Great additions all round with this and the shifting animations.

MikeDub said:
Actually managed to have 2 great races online with all 8 finishing thanks to this new 'hopper'. Great additions all round with this and the shifting animations.
Yeah same here just had 2 races online, a few eager people who brake late but that is to be expected in any online racing game, most of the racers stayed clean, and I say most as kindly as I can because some idiot decided to just power around corners and quit 2 minutes into the race because his engine was pouring thick smoke out of the back :lol

Would have been nice to lock out the expert play list until you have like 20 trueskill though, might cause a fuss though.

Diablohead said:
Yeah same here just had 2 races online, a few eager people who brake late but that is to be expected in any online racing game, most of the racers stayed clean, and I say most as kindly as I can because some idiot decided to just power around corners and quit 2 minutes into the race because his engine was pouring thick smoke out of the back :lol

Would have been nice to lock out the expert play list until you have like 20 trueskill though, might cause a fuss though.

Hold on, we're you Diablohead UK? (Profile check says YES!) I spent the whole of my first race in a Ferrari behind your Lambo I believe. Was some good racing indeed, nearly had you on the last corner though, curse your defensive driving!

MikeDub said:
Hold on, we're you Diablohead UK? (Profile check says YES!) I spent the whole of my first race in a Ferrari behind your Lambo I believe. Was some good racing indeed, nearly had you on the last corner though, curse your defensive driving!
Lol that was you? wow yeah you were very close at the end, my lambo only has something like 5.7 brakes so I have to apply early, your ferrari was turning better also.

Hope I was clean enough :D did you see that c8 ram me on lap 2 from behind?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
OMG SHIFTING ANIMATIONS.

When I first noticed it, I couldn't fucking believe they added that in a patch. :lol

Loving Tag You're It, as well. Great fun.

Diablohead said:
Lol that was you? wow yeah you were very close at the end, my lambo only has something like 5.7 brakes so I have to apply early, your ferrari was turning better also.

Hope I was clean enough :D did you see that c8 ram me on lap 2 from behind?

Nah must of missed it, I got bogged down in last after a poor start, drove through a couple of invisible cars on my way to catching you. I was just shocked that there were no first corner crashes, people are by no means clean racers but definitely more hesitant which made a world of difference.

I am so damn obsessed with fine tuning my cars, just spent like an hour and a half refining my Diablo SV, again, for like the 10th time :lol it's half the fun for me in forza.

Raced against a BLK member earlier, he joined the room at trueskill 0, won 2 races (very close though, against me :p) and he his trueskill 24 lol.

cjelly said:
OMG SHIFTING ANIMATIONS.

When I first noticed it, I couldn't fucking believe they added that in a patch. :lol

Loving Tag You're It, as well. Great fun.

That's all I have been playing. I figure, I am going to get ram off the road anyway I might as well play in the playlist that not going to piss me off.

Tracks are kinda limited after several hours, I noticed only 5 tracks cycle through.

I really need a faster car...

@Diablo

My 360 was locking up all morning , I think it's the server ... it has been working great all evening.

I noticed that in the new A expert hopper that only a few of the circuits have extended laps, half of them are still 3-4 laps :(

Can't wait for a RWD hopper, my F355 Challenge & BMW-M3 are waiting.

amar212

Diablohead said:

I agree, have no intention to play a minute of it before they fmake a separate RWD/MR hoppers.

Audi contractual-given supremacy and overall 4X4 clusterfuck is plain stupid racism towards all players who actually wants to race with all other cars/drives.

SmokyDave

amar212 said:
I agree, have no intention to play a minute of it before they fmake a separate RWD/MR hoppers.

Audi contractual-given supremacy and overall 4X4 clusterfuck is plain stupid racism towards all players who actually wants to race with all other cars/drives.

I think this is my favourite ever use of the word 'racism' and all future usage should be in this manner.

web01 said:
Shift animations should have been in from day one a complete embarrassment that they were not.

So it's bad that they patch the game? I don't really get some of you. The game is not perfect but it is pretty damm good. The best racing game on ANY console I have played. Was there goofy decision yes, I don't disagree but overall it is a great experience and I have a lot of fun with it.

They add in playlists, patch the game, fix bug in less than a month with patch. Came out with free DLC cars, and already announce next batch of cars....

At this point I think some of you just invent thing to bitch about.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Ok... can someone please explain how the f$ck they patched in shifting animations? Does that mean that the animations were always there and they just unlocked them?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Diablohead said:
Ahh, another F355 fan. :)

4066309225_d609812cbf.jpg

RSTEIN said:
Ok... can someone please explain how the f$ck they patched in shifting animations? Does that mean that the animations were always there and they just unlocked them?
They unlocked the 4th core.

G Rom

Well, it was one of the supposedly cut feature so it was probably already partially developed and not entirely implemented. That's why I have hope for other supposedly cut features like active aero...

FYI, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named's Prologue added, removed, tweaked many things throughout the different updates. Handling was totally different when it shipped compared to now.

In the end, it's up to the developer to make a versatile game that can be easily updated. For example, Forza 1 couldn't get any DLC because the game was not programmed to take additional stuff.
On the other hand, you have Burnout Paradise which had quite impressive game-changing updates.

ShapeGSX

RSTEIN said:

You could see the shifting animations in replays from outside the car before the patch.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
ShapeGSX said:
You could see the shifting animations in replays from outside the car before the patch.

Oh, that's right. Forgot about that. So I guess the basic code, textures, geometry(?), etc., was always there in some form.

skyfinch

ShapeGSX said:

It was the same in Forza 2. The interior in the chase cam is completely different from the interior in the cockpit view. Two completely different models and animation.

Shifting anims were cut originally due to lack of time going by what info we know, maybe they were able to finish off and use any left over code in the game or they just added it (like patches can do in most cases) but it is a lovely little extra. I do find now and again it can be buggy and not play animations, once my paddle shift car had no animations but they came back in the next race, and sometimes he will not reach for the hand brake at all, so it has it's small share of problems.

I still get random stutters when people on my friends list log in, 90% of the time it's no problem but there has been times online when it's made the game play like I am running forza 3 on a 10 year old pc, and it ends up making me miss a mark or leave the track in a turn.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Now that they fixed the shifting animations, will they rework the drift scoring? I can, at best, get 55K in the full Fujimi Kaido circuit. If there were multiplier bonuses like in NFS Underground, I'd have 100K, easily...

Darklord

Banned
twinturbo2 said:
Now that they fixed the shifting animations, will they rework the drift scoring? I can, at best, get 55K in the full Fujimi Kaido circuit. If there were multiplier bonuses like in NFS Underground, I'd have 100K, easily...

Try a new car? Download a new tuning set up?

blanky

twinturbo2 said:
I've been trying one of the cars from the Hyundai Pack.

Do you know of any good drifting setups for the Porsche 911 997 GT3 RS?

I wasn't getting it either until I tried that HKS Evo one. 2nd gear, press a to get it sideways and then full on the throttle. You should be able to get it done then!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Going back to the poll, I'd like to see...
Some NASCAR tracks (Talladega, Daytona, Sonoma, Watkins Glen, Bristol)
Indy Motor Speedway
Some classic Forza 1 tracks (Rio, Dockside)
The old Surfer's Paradise street course from CART
Mid-Ohio

blanky, thanks for the advice, I'll try it later.

It's taken 2 hours to upload 8 of my 27 HD clips from an online race replay, why did Microsoft have to be so damn anal about memory stick transfers. SERIOUSLY.

I am going to go play A expert hopper, you will know it's me as my screen name is the same as here, come!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Will they ever fix the audio clipping problems?

It almost fucked up my speakers and now I'm forced to play the game just with headphones since I can't in good conscience risk ruining my Chario Cygnus set up just for playing a videogame.

It amazes me how nobody posted anything about it on this thread, since I know for a fact I'm not the only one having this problems but every post I've read about it on the Forza forums has gone unnoticed by Turn10 (or at least they didn't bother to comment on it).

I don't care (or I marginally do) about minor things like music tracks repeating, looping, audio getting stuck or whatever, the crack/clip/static-like glitches should have top priority over that. I can't even watch the replays in my Home Theater room since at every camera switch there's a scary "crack" sound.

I just want to know if they're aware there's a BIG problem and if they're actually working on it and we can expect a fix in a timely fashion (well, imo we're already past that but anyway just fix it already).

Dash Kappei said:
Will they ever fix the audio clipping problems?

It almost fucked up my speakers and now I'm forced to play the game just with headphones since I can't in good conscience risk ruining my Chario Cygnus set up just for playing a videogame.

It amazes me how nobody posted anything about it on this thread, since I know for a fact I'm not the only one having this problems but every post I've read about it on the Forza forums has gone unnoticed by Turn10 (or at least they didn't bother to comment on it).

I don't care (or I marginally do) about minor things like music tracks repeating, looping, audio getting stuck or whatever, the crack/clip/static-like glitches should have top priority over that. I can't even watch the replays in my Home Theater room since at every camera switch there's a scary "crack" sound.

I just want to know if they're aware there's a BIG problem and if they're actually working on it and we can expect a fix in a timely fashion (well, imo we're already past that but anyway just fix it already).
You mean that pop noise the sound makes in a race? I find that I only get that offline, and since I race online a lot I hardly hear it. that along with the friends logging in = lag problem are two things they really need to address asap.

ShapeGSX

I haven't heard any audio pops on my system. I have a Denon 2809ci with 7.1 speakers.

I also haven't seen the frame rate take a dump when a friend signs on, either.

Really weird. I don't doubt that some people have these issues. It is just odd that not everyone does.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
blanky said:
I wasn't getting it either until I tried that HKS Evo one. 2nd gear, press a to get it sideways and then full on the throttle. You should be able to get it done then!
I tried that, it didn't work. Is there a setup that I should try?

Pepto said:
Just tried the multiplayer for the first time and it was all s5 and ramming. :(
"Welcome to Forza Motorsport 3"

Once you get a better trueskill you should be paired up with a few more clean racers, and yes S5 and R8's everywhere.

Dash Kappei said:

I had posted this problem here almost on day of UK release but had no response.
Mr BadFrog over on the FM.net forum is the Turn10 audio engineer and he has actually acknowledged this problem in a thread I created. He had asked for samples of the problem, which were supplied by numerous members, but the problem appears to be so deep within the engine that too much work would be required to fully resolve.
I mostly got rid of the problem but reducing all sound options to about 50%, 0% on music.
I hope for a patch but won't hold my breath.

I ordered this on amazon, and this is my first racing sim (heard it was noob friendly). Are there any good cheap steering wheels, or should I just use the controller? thanks.

PopcornMegaphone said:
I ordered this on amazon, and this is my first racing sim (heard it was noob friendly). Are there any good cheap steering wheels, or should I just use the controller? thanks.

I'm not serious into racing games so I'm fine with the controller. It really depends how much time you're really to put into it. I had a wheel for the original Xbox and it just wasn't for me. I had much more fun with the controller than with the wheel.

VGChampion said:
I'm not serious into racing games so I'm fine with the controller. It really depends how much time you're really to put into it. I had a wheel for the original Xbox and it just wasn't for me. I had much more fun with the controller than with the wheel.

Thanks. I think you're right. If I enjoy the game I'll upgrade to a controller.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Why does the game sometimes not load when playing online?

I sit at the loading screen for ages, then it'll dump me back to the lobby, and everyone else has a steering wheel next to their name. :(

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Fantasmo said:
I had posted this problem here almost on day of UK release but had no response.
Mr BadFrog over on the FM.net forum is the Turn10 audio engineer and he has actually acknowledged this problem in a thread I created. He had asked for samples of the problem, which were supplied by numerous members, but the problem appears to be so deep within the engine that too much work would be required to fully resolve.
I mostly got rid of the problem but reducing all sound options to about 50%, 0% on music.
I hope for a patch but won't hold my breath.

Thanks, read through that 8 pages thread on Forza net about the sound issues.

When I think about all the trash talk the Turn10 guys were doing at E3, the below par product we've received in the end it's just embarrassing.

If another comparable "Sim" racer was out on the platform I would not doubt ask for my money back (and be entitled to it).
To know they've released an unfinished buggy product like this... Turn10 must be hiding in their closet.
I'm really fucking disappointed, I even bought the wheel for this game, and even if I love the handling engine of the game, the neverending list of bugs and the lackluster online experience (thank God I didn't subscribe to Gold before trying to race online) now are seriously ruining my enjoyment of the game... It's a shame, 'cause otherwise I'd see myself playing this game up until Forza 4.
Hopefully they'll get some backlash and realize they need to hold their shit together before going left and right making claims about "the best driving simulator EVAR!!11".

In the meantime, I will uninstall my Disc 1 and play from the dvd and also see if lowering the in-game sound does something.

To the other poster: yes, I was playing on a 5k$ Chario and Denon set-up, but as last night I've been playing from my Panasonic Viera's speakers and nothing changes, it's perfectly audible and I'm not a high-end audiophile of some sort.

Top Bottom