• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

Dash Kappei said:
Thanks, read through that 8 pages thread on Forza net about the sound issues.

When I think about all the trash talk the Turn10 guys were doing at E3, the below par product we've received in the end it's just embarrassing.

If another comparable "Sim" racer was out on the platform I would not doubt ask for my money back (and be entitled to it).
To know they've released an unfinished buggy product like this... Turn10 must be hiding in their closet.
I'm really fucking disappointed, I even bought the wheel for this game, and even if I love the handling engine of the game, the neverending list of bugs and the lackluster online experience (thank God I didn't subscribe to Gold before trying to race online) now are seriously ruining my enjoyment of the game... It's a shame, 'cause otherwise I'd see myself playing this game up until Forza 4.
Hopefully they'll get some backlash and realize they need to hold their shit together before going left and right making claims about "the best driving simulator EVAR!!11".

In the meantime, I will uninstall my Disc 1 and play from the dvd and also see if lowering the in-game sound does something.

To the other poster: yes, I was playing on a 5k$ Chario and Denon set-up, but as last night I've been playing from my Panasonic Viera's speakers and nothing changes, it's perfectly audible and I'm not a high-end audiophile of some sort.
I'm at level 50, most of the way through Season 5, over 30% complete, and I'm not sure what bugs you're talking about. I've heard the audio popping from time to time, but it isn't anything I'd ask a refund for... What else is wrong with the game that I haven't caught onto yet?

Darklord

Banned
UltimateIke said:
I'm at level 50, most of the way through Season 5, over 30% complete, and I'm not sure what bugs you're talking about. I've heard the audio popping from time to time, but it isn't anything I'd ask a refund for... What else is wrong with the game that I haven't caught onto yet?

Same here. I've seen no bugs. Hell, I can't say I've heard the audio popping either. I even find the online far, FAR, superior to what it was in Forza 2(which was unplayable for me).

Can you explain some of these game breaking bugs, Dash Kappei?

I haven't had any audio issues. I have a red RE5 elite console hooked through HDMI to an Onkyo 606 and JBL speakers. No pops, or anything. I've also played it hooked to standard logitech PC speakers and never heard any pops.

Not sure exactly why someone would think they deserve a refund for this game based on an issue that isn't even affecting most people.

Diablohead said:
To people NOT getting the odd sound pop in single player, do you play from an installed disc or stream the game like normal? I have it installed and only get the odd sound pop against the cpu.

Both discs installed for me. Haven't heard a pop in MP or SP. I did turn the in-race music off right away, but I still have the menu music playing.

To people NOT getting the odd sound pop in single player, do you play from an installed disc or stream the game like normal? I have it installed and only get the odd sound pop against the cpu.

skyfinch

Over 60 hours of game play, game installed into hd, and the only thing glitchy are the shadows.

Did notice that the FXX didn't have shifting animations what so ever. Not sure if this is true to life, though I did see a youtube video with a real FXX and it had paddle shifting.

skyfinch said:
Over 60 hours of game play, game installed into hd, and the only thing glitchy are the shadows.

Did notice that the FXX didn't have shifting animations what so ever. Not sure if this is true to life, though I did see a youtube video with a real FXX and it had paddle shifting.
A few cars have no shifting at all, must be a bug.

Arcticfox

I have the game installed on the hard drive and I get the occasional audio pops. It only happens once every 3-4 hours of gameplay so it is not that bad, but every time it happens I fear that my speakers might be damaged by the sound.

I know why I hate Motegi now. It seems like every corner on the track is a right angle turn(90 degree). Herman Tilke would call that track a piece of shit :p

Never had popping issues with the sound(installed both discs)

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
ExtraKr1spy said:
I know why I hate Motegi now. It seems like every corner on the track is a right angle turn(90 degree). Herman Tilke would call that track a piece of shit :p

Never had popping issues with the sound(installed both discs)
The track you're thinking of is Sebring.

...as well.

Brodequin

Very unrealistic hope (Forza 4 maybe?), but any chance that updated AI driving lines will be patched in? Frustrating when racing the AI that they're quick and competitive for 12 out of 13 corners then they're 1-2 seconds slower in one turn. Some new tracks have that problem but even worse is the same corners in the same tracks that had problems in Forza 2 have the same issue in Forza 3.

Brodequin said:
Very unrealistic hope (Forza 4 maybe?), but any chance that updated AI driving lines will be patched in? Frustrating when racing the AI that they're quick and competitive for 12 out of 13 corners then they're 1-2 seconds slower in one turn. Some new tracks have that problem but even worse is the same corners in the same tracks that had problems in Forza 2 have the same issue in Forza 3.
They should go back to drivatar tech in forza 4, it worked real well in F1 and with today's cpu power they could run a whole grid with driver trained AI, much better then having the computer naff at some corners and braking way too early on others.

Gek54

erahk64 said:
I checked the camber for the front wheels in telemetry, the camber change seems linear when turning the wheel in 900 degree mode.
But maybe it's not the best way to see if it's linear, I'm not a expert in this area.

The game will register the extended range but as far as I can tell there is no option in the game to turn off FM3's active steering aid/dynamic steering ratio. They finally have the opportunity let their physics engine truly sing with a quality 900 degree wheel, yet the game still goes all Ridge Racer when you get at all sideways. When the game is steering for you the whole simulation aspect gets thrown out the window. This is far from simulating what it would be like to actually drift a real car, more importantly it doesnt present a decent simulation of what it would really take to recover from pushing a car just over the edge. Even with normal driving it doesnt feel 1:1 linear through out.

FM3 seems to show excellent interaction between the tires and the road but the game unnecessarily gets completely nurfed by the not letting us actually drive the car ourselves. Maybe the active steering is why Top Gear said FM3 has magic carpet physics? At this point a 2007 demo on the other console offers better support for a wheel officially endorsed by T10. We have had console sims with realistic 1:1 linear 900 degree steering since at least 2004, we have had 3 iterations of Forza since then...so much potential just inches away from actuality, I almost want to cry.

Heres hoping for a patch that lets us turn off ALL driving aids allowing us to truly experience FM3's tire physics through what should be the definitive steering wheel.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
UltimateIke said:

First, to respond to the other poster(s) as well: I haven't mentioned game-breaking bugs at all (even if having the game hang on me in the livery editor or on the storefront from time to time could be considered so).
Second, check my post history to see everything good I've posted about Forza 3.
I love everything about this game... bar the bugs :)

The list of bugs is HUGE.
Just check this thead pages a bit, but even better the Forza forums where you'll see the official bug reports/fixing thread and see that it's nothing short of embarassing to think Turn10 released the game in this state.
Sorry, but that's how it is guys.

It makes me sad people are willing to put up with everything for the love of a game/whatever, because to read "you shouldn't be allowed for a refund if all the bugs don't affect 100% of the userbase" it friggin' histerical.

Every time a Gaf's cherished game has some critiques, especially if it's an exclusive console game, you'll get the defense force calling you out because "nope, I have all the achievement/trophies I'm #1 on the leaderboards and didn't see a thing, must be your copy/imagination, this game's DA BEST!!111".

Yes! That's it, you have a special copy of the game.. no, better yet, it's my console's fault 'cause I'm a n00b!

If you bothered to read (not referring to you in particular Ultimate, you've been very polite) you would have noticed that the very same developers admits to the bugs and that, just to name one, the audio glitch problem, which some poeple here say don't exists, lies in the game engine itself... yep, Forza 3 audio engineer *said so*.

I must have been imaginining things all along.

:goes back to download tunings from the storefront (can't wait to finally try them!):

ShapeGSX

No doubt the game has bugs. But the only one I've run into is the shadow switching between the blob and defined shadow. And I think that may be something that is done to keep the frame rate up.

I have never heard the audio popping. I have had the in game music muted since the first week. I have never seen the frame rate drop when a friend signs on. I obviously believe that these bugs exist. I just haven't ever had them happen to me.

Ziploc

Neo Member
I have audio bugs when the game changes music tracks

I have shadow bugs

And I have a rear view mirror bug in my Toyota Altezza. Seriously. Go test drive one. It will freak you out in traffic.

Gek54 said:
The game will register the extended range but as far as I can tell there is no option in the game to turn off FM3's active steering aid/dynamic steering ratio. They finally have the opportunity let their physics engine truly sing with a quality 900 degree wheel, yet the game still goes all Ridge Racer when you get at all sideways. When the game is steering for you the whole simulation aspect gets thrown out the window. This is far from simulating what it would be like to actually drift a real car, more importantly it doesnt present a decent simulation of what it would really take to recover from pushing a car just over the edge. Even with normal driving it doesnt feel 1:1 linear through out.

FM3 seems to show excellent interaction between the tires and the road but the game unnecessarily gets completely nurfed by the not letting us actually drive the car ourselves. Maybe the active steering is why Top Gear said FM3 has magic carpet physics? At this point a 2007 demo on the other console offers better support for a wheel officially endorsed by T10. We have had console sims with realistic 1:1 linear 900 degree steering since at least 2004, we have had 3 iterations of Forza since then...so much potential just inches away from actuality, I almost want to cry.

Heres hoping for a patch that lets us turn off ALL driving aids allowing us to truly experience FM3's tire physics through what should be the definitive steering wheel.

I don't understand why they did this. I recall someone from turn10 saying that full rotation is necessary. I even recall a fanboy discussion about it. I can't just be design choice right? Or is it just a major oversight?

Shaneus

I still can't believe I'm the only one who has noticed the lack of shadows on the other car in the rearview mirror on the FK track. Anyone?

ElyrionX

Finally got around to this today.

Career mode is a huge improvement over F2 and I am glad for that.

The load times and number of load screens are getting on my nerves though. I can't believe it takes two load screens, both of which are not short by any measure, to get into a race.

sinnergy

ElyrionX said:

The load times and number of load screens are getting on my nerves though. I can't believe it takes two load screens, both of which are not short by any measure, to get into a race.

They are okay imo if you install, the first one is a bit shorter than PGR3 imo, and the second one is about 3 secs from HDD.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i get a number of sound bugs in my game.

i get the occasional pop, but more often i get a much worse bug where sound effects, such as those under heavy breaking or acceleration, get "locked" in and thats what i'll hear for a second or two regardless of what is actually happening on screen. its very distracting to hear your car under full acceleration when in fact you are in the process of slowing down and taking a corner. this is a rather serious bug IMO as it can greatly affect my performance on the track. i havent noticed anyone else mention this though, is it my copy only?

in addition, there is the documented sound effect glitches on certain tracks where the wrong effect is played while racing. best example is towards the back side of leguna seca where every lap you hear your car go over rumble strips when you are in the middle of the track.

i also have the audio get a brief delay during the pre-race countdown in which the first second or so when the car pulls up to the line has no noise, then idle sound effects start as the car stops, and the brake squeak happens late. obviously this doesnt effect game play.

i've only seen a few other bugs that arent audio related. the reventon's dash display goes super wonky when i get live notifications, and on motegi's start countdown, the lines that the cars line up to glitch in and out constantly.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
ElyrionX said:

They should just give me the option to turn off the 'revving engine' intro to every race. So pointless. :lol

h3ro

There are so many amazing liveries and tunes I want to buy. :/

I wish I had a crazy popular decal or something that made me a couple million credits. :lol

skyfinch

Shaneus said:
I still can't believe I'm the only one who has noticed the lack of shadows on the other car in the rearview mirror on the FK track. Anyone?

Shadows in the rear view don't bother me too much. However, shadows under cars 5 feet in front of you, popping in and out is very annoying. They almost look like the night track in Forza 1, where you have multiple light sources and the car's shadows are jumping everywhere.

And about the sound glitch, I'm obviously not a programmer or anything, but I'm guessing it's something that wasn't patched the first round mainly because not everyone is experiencing it. Hard for Turn10 to pinpoint the problem if say, they're playing a copy that (like my copy) doesn't have any sound glitches at all.

On a side note, I hope they come up with some sort of way of modding, or at least give us some color options for your driver's gloves. The grey/black/orange is pretty ugly. DLC, I guess....hopefully.

Edit, this is why 60 year olds should be playing Forza instead of being in the garage.
Cartest_grandpa.gif

Too bad he didn't have a rewind feature.

Gek54

PjotrStroganov said:
I don't understand why they did this. I recall someone from turn10 saying that full rotation is necessary. I even recall a fanboy discussion about it. I can't just be design choice right? Or is it just a major oversight?

Im sure its a design choice for the standard controller but there needs to be an option to turn off the active steering aid in the advanced wheel options. Seems like it should be an easy fix to have a fixed ratio.

ShapeGSX

Gek54 said:
Im sure its a design choice for the standard controller but there needs to be an option to turn off the active steering aid in the advanced wheel options. Seems like it should be an easy fix to have a 1:1 ratio.

Do you have a link that describes the issue in depth?

Do you mean that the game actually steers for you to get the proper angle for pulling out of a slide, etc?

cjelly said:
They should just give me the option to turn off the 'revving engine' intro to every race. So pointless. :lol
Yeah, this is #1 on my list now that the shifting animations are in. I really dislike the auto-rev.

Gek54

ShapeGSX said:
Do you have a link that describes the issue in depth?

Do you mean that the game actually steers for you to get the proper angle for pulling out of a slide, etc?

Yes it does steer for you. You can also see it happen if you pull up the telemetry and watch the steering wheel move with out your input.

BMW offered it as an option in some cars, from a BMW enthusiast forum:
Some disadvatages of active steering includes the feeling of "not in control". Since the steering ratio of your car varies with speed, if you are not paying attention to the road sometimes you might over-steer or understeer depend on the speed you are travelling and angle of your steering wheel.

GT5 also offers active steering but there is an option to turn it off.

I love GT5p, but as everyone knows, the online is flawed.

Even the expert online races are filled with dummies that are always trying to hit you (on purpose)... and the reason why they are so overzealous is because they have active steering enabled.

I would get so annoyed when someone hit me and spun me out, until I turned on Active Steering...
All the sudden I felt invincible... there was no need to brake as much, no way I could spin out, and I could smash other cars all day without losing control.

But... this sucks. I mean, is this really driving? Active Steering? I mean, I could drive the course nearly blindfolded with it on. It made the race too easy. Made sucky drivers good.

Frankly, it needs to go. If you are going to call a race an "expert race", you should not allow Active Steering. Heck, I'd even get rid of Traction Control and ASM for these races.

GT is not fun with these assists, and I feel I can no longer play online, because the only way to be competitive with disrespectful racers is to turn Active Steering on... which is basically turning autopilot on and letting the game play itself for me.

Here's to hoping Polyphony makes some real expert online races.

Gek54

From another BMW forum:

I will be ordering a 135 with a manual this week and my only problem is the Active Steering option. Cost doesn't bother me. But i am trying to find if it will be a plus or a negative for:
hard street driving
for track days
for autocross use

will it be a plus for a Drivers car or does it hurt road feel and handling

any track results on cars with and without?

Active steering is not available in the M3 and M5. Does that tell you something? I've driven the active steering in the 530i about two years ago, and I did not like the nonlinear feel.

No active steering.

Especially if you tracking the car.

Just want to say I am so fucking sick of New York. That track is by far the least enjoyable to race for me and it just keeps coming up. Whoever added those goddamn chicanes should be dragged out into the street and shot.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Just want to say I am so fucking sick of New York. That track is by far the least enjoyable to race for me and it just keeps coming up. Whoever added those goddamn chicanes should be dragged out into the street and shot.
I love them more then two boring straights, they really should have brought back the full new york layout though, from forza 1!

rjcc

SuperEnemyCrab said:

QFTMFT

who thought adding random ass tire barriers in the shadows between buildings was a good idea? just ripoff the pgr4 layouts and be done with it. the forza track is bad and doesn't work.

Gek54 said:
Im sure its a design choice for the standard controller but there needs to be an option to turn off the active steering aid in the advanced wheel options. Seems like it should be an easy fix to have a fixed ratio.

I know it does this with the pad, but I really didn't notice it using wheel, since I seems to spin out or crash if I don't mind my wheel too closely. It take a lot less to steer with pad.

As for 900 degree, what I notice that the car are closer to real car when you steer, than when using the 270 setting. 270 is a lot easier as it take less wheel turn to change direction. Again, I am not expert when it come to sim racing, I just like driving them.

ShapeGSX

antiquegamer said:
I know it does this with the pad, but I really didn't notice it using wheel, since I seems to spin out or crash if I don't mind my wheel too closely. It take a lot less to steer with pad.

That was also my feeling between the pad and the MS wheel. I've never noticed any auto steering with the MS wheel. But it is completely necessary with the pad. The game actually selects the correct angle for counter-steer to pull you out of a slide (if it can) with the pad. But I have to do a ton of adjustment with the wheel to keep the car on the road.

BigKaboom2 said:
Every single online race I've done on that track has had a colossal multi-car crash on the first chicane and at least two more after that.

Dude, every single OFFLINE race I've done on that track has been a fucking crash disaster. That track is RIDIKOLOS.

ShapeGSX

Ok, after some testing, I see what it is doing. Basically, at low speeds, if you turn 100% to the right with the wheel, you get the same in the game. But at high speeds, if you turn 100% to the right with the wheel, you get a 50% turn. That seems to be the extent of the steering assist from what I can see. I haven't seen the game steering for me.

Cutting down on the range of motion of the wheels at speed to give the user more fidelity makes sense for the 270 degree wheels. Not sure it makes sense on the 900 degree wheels. But then, I'm not certain it actually does that with the 900 degree wheels.

Iknos

FunnyBunny said:
Personally, I would like to see Turn 10 treat F3 as a "platform" game like Rock Band. Keep adding new cars and tracks during the next few years.. and wait 2 or 3 years to release Forza 4.

What makes RB a "platform" game is that what you buy is backwards and forwards compatible. Don't think it will be like that for Forza 3/4.

J. M. Romeo said:
So my buddy is going to some lan party or something where they will be playing this game...

All I can tell you is that FM3 doesn't support LAN play. No System Link. Means you need a net connection and then Gold accounts on each console. You can make a new Silver account on each and get 1 month Gold free though.

Gek54 said:
Im fairly decent at keeping unruly car in order in real life but I am not this good. I knew this behavior was present with the 360 controller and MS wheel but I wrote it off as a result of dynamic steering ratio used to make these more limited controllers more playable. I was hoping it would not be an issue with a 900 degree mode with linear steering.

A confirmation of my fear. TofuR talked about some physics related sacrifices made to make the game "funner" this could be it...and we all sensed it from the demo...

Gek54 said:
I guess some people like the smooth and dampened force feedback that you get with the belt but to me I feel like I am losing out on precision and crucial feedback. I think I would much prefer cogs over belt.

Thanks for the impressions. How does it feel with Ferrari Challenge or other PS3 sim racers when you directly compare it to the G25?

G Rom said:
It also means that the game seems to be rather flexible in term of updates.

I really hope so. I'm looking at more multiplayer modes and stuff like that over the visual details but I'm not complaining.

amar212 said:
How many laps per race?

I hope you will not answer 3.

My console is being fixed right now so I can't play but how many laps is the "Stock Car" Oval variant that was announced a week back? If that wasn't made at least 5 laps I'm going to bash my head through the keyboard.

ShapeGSX said:
I haven't heard any audio pops on my system. I have a Denon 2809ci with 7.1 speakers.

I also haven't seen the frame rate take a dump when a friend signs on, either.

Really weird. I don't doubt that some people have these issues. It is just odd that not everyone does.

Me neither. None of those issues. Do see shadow glitches though which is a shame because they did a good job on them when they work. The best I've seen in a 60fps racer.

Gek54 said:
The game will register the extended range but as far as I can tell there is no option in the game to turn off FM3's active steering aid/dynamic steering ratio.

So do you think it has less to do with a traction control assist that is happening behind the scenes and more do with with a steering assist? Maybe I'm misunderstanding...it's NOT 1:1?

ShapeGSX said:
Ok, after some testing, I see what it is doing. Basically, at low speeds, if you turn 100% to the right with the wheel, you get the same in the game. But at high speeds, if you turn 100% to the right with the wheel, you get a 50% turn. That seems to be the extent of the steering assist from what I can see. I haven't seen the game steering for me.

Cutting down on the range of motion of the wheels at speed to give the user more fidelity makes sense for the 270 degree wheels. Not sure it makes sense on the 900 degree wheels. But then, I'm not certain it actually does that with the 900 degree wheels.

"high speeds" meaning around 85km/h from what I've seen. What you are explaining helps you from steering too much and then end up understeering off the track if you ever tried locking right/left on a straight. For controller users it means the stick is less twitchy when going at high speeds which is often down straights.

The MS wheel seems to be used as a 180 degree wheel when you cross reference it with the telemetry. Even when you remove the outer deadzone.

ShapeGSX

Iknos said:
"high speeds" meaning around 85km/h from what I've seen. What you are explaining helps you from steering too much and then end up understeering off the track if you ever tried locking right/left on a straight.

You can still easily understeer right off the track. I did it tonight. Steering more isn't going to make you understeer more. You will pretty much continue to go in the same direction.

I don't think that is why they did it. I think they do it to make the wheel more like a normal steering wheel at high speeds instead of just a 270 degree wheel.

Gek54

Iknos said:
A confirmation of my fear. TofuR talked about some physics related sacrifices made to make the game "funner" this could be it...and we all sensed it from the demo...

Thanks for the impressions. How does it feel with Ferrari Challenge or other PS3 sim racers when you directly compare it to the G25?

So do you think it has less to do with a traction control assist that is happening behind the scenes and more do with with a steering assist? Maybe I'm misunderstanding...it's NOT 1:1?

Its not so much of a sacrifice, its more of an additional driving aid that should have the option to turn off just as you can with all the other aids.

I just tried FC and there seems to be a bit of center deadzone, not impressed at all with FC's force feedback, I will have to dig out my G25 tomorrow to compare. With GT5P the wheel works beautifully, zero complaints, better than G25 from what I can recall. Ill do a head to head later.

FM3 does not have a static fixed steering ratio for sure, I know for a fact it starts to steer for you when you get sideways to help you control the slide/recovery. At certain points it almost looks like its vibrating the tires looking for the right angle, kind of like how a singer will fluctuate their voice if they cant quite nail a certain note. I am not certain but it feels like a semi-deadzone near the center in FM3, not totally dead but it seems to reduce input quite a bit near the center. I can only assume this is to help for car control but what it feels like is a bad power steering system that is about to go out with slop in the center. It also feels like there is some speed sensitive dynamic steering ratio as well, then again, it could just be that center semi-deadzone that is goofing on my senses.

I have also noticed that I get a better feel in the wheel if I switch off 900 and back after the game has booted.

Iknos

ShapeGSX said:
You can still easily understeer right off the track. I did it tonight. Steering more isn't going to make you understeer more. You will pretty much continue to go in the same direction.

I don't think that is why they did it. I think they do it to make the wheel more like a normal steering wheel at high speeds instead of just a 270 degree wheel.

No you can't understeer "more" but it's easier to do so when you map many degrees of steering over a few. The same reason why most cars feature hundreds of degrees of steering. If my mom used a 270 degree wheel for her car she would have a tough time keeping it on her lane on a freeway.

Say you were going down a straight and holding the thumbstick very very lightly to the left results in a 45 degree turn to the left. Obviously you're off the track for one reason or another. Now imagine if holding it to the left very lightly results in only a 5 degree turn. That results in a slight adjustment instead.

Gek54 said:
Its not so much of a sacrifice, its more of an additional driving aid that should have the option to turn off just as you can with all the other aids.

Sorry I meant sacrifice of realism. Sacrificing realism to make a fun feeling racer.

I'd like a solid wheel for both the PS3 and 360 so it'd be great to hear your impressions but maybe this thread isn't the right place since you'll talk about multiple racers.

ShapeGSX

Iknos said:
No you can't understeer "more" but it's easier to do so when you map many degrees of steering over a few. The same reason why most cars feature hundreds of degrees of steering. If my mom used a 270 degree wheel for her car she would have a tough time keeping it on her lane on a freeway.

Understeer isn't exactly a huge issue at high speed. No one "snap understeers" off the track because they turned the steering wheel too much.

Understeer is mainly an issue when you are trying to turn. So you have to slow down to turn without understeering. And if you don't slow down, no amount of steering assist is going to keep you from understeering. Brake assist would keep you from understeering.

Say you were going down a straight and holding the thumbstick very very lightly to the left results in a 45 degree turn to the left. Obviously you're off the track for one reason or another. Now imagine if holding it to the left very lightly results in only a 5 degree turn. That results in a slight adjustment instead.

Lots of real cars have speed sensitive power steering to do essentially the same thing, and I doubt that most people even notice. My Eclipse GSX dials down the power steering over a certain speed. And you have to give more steering effort in order to get the wheels to turn. It makes the car more stable at high speeds.

Instead of doing this in Forza, they seem to adjust the steering ratio at high speeds. The effect seems to be very similar, however.

The change in steering ratio also means that you have finer granularity when trying to find the right angle to turn the wheels when your rear end starts to kick out. I think that is pretty important for the 270 degree wheel users. If they didn't do this, you would end up trying to find the right angle within a few degrees of center because of the really high ratio you get with a 270 degree wheel. But once the ratio changes, you get double the range to find the right angle.

I would think that this would not be as important with a 900 degree wheel, though.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
My Fanatec wheel has shipped! Woot woot woot.

Hope to get it in the next few days since the distribution center is down in SoCal.

I am still waiting for the replacement pedals ... sigh

The guy I promise the 360 wheel to, finally ask me when he can have it so I sold it to him and now I am pedal-less.

The bad thing is I have been going back to driving with pad and it's going to be a bitch switching back to wheel again.

And I feel dirty because everytime I boot up Forza 3, all I want to do is play Tag.

ShapeGSX said:
That was also my feeling between the pad and the MS wheel. I've never noticed any auto steering with the MS wheel. But it is completely necessary with the pad. The game actually selects the correct angle for counter-steer to pull you out of a slide (if it can) with the pad. But I have to do a ton of adjustment with the wheel to keep the car on the road.

It also never exeeds the maximum grip level of the wheels when turning in sharply. With the MS wheel you can. To this point it seems it isn't using any driving aid.

Gek54

It doesnt affect under-steering that I can tell but the active steering does go into full effect when you are over-steering. That semi-deadzone in the center is what is really bothering me the most atm.

The game lets us loosely choose how many degrees want by way of the outer deadzone slider. If they would just give us the option for complete linearity all would be good.

Top Bottom