• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

The Thrustmaster TX wheel is a confusing piece of tech.

The base is big and hefty, yet the wheel it comes with looks like a toy wheel attached to a push car when its all assembled.

cool-infant-push-car-e1315616366953.jpg

The material is also a large downgrade from my leather wrapped Fanatec PWTS, its plastic (not bad feeling) but its no leather.

The pedals are not bad, but also suffer from a lack of size. I mean the MS FFB wheels pedals were larger.

The USB cable is short, and its built in so I have to buy an extender so I dont have to keep picking up my seat and moving it closer to the XBOX.

The FFB is different, but I think that is because its not belt driven like the Fanatec wheels are. But actually driving it around Prague was a ton of fun because of the different surface types, and going over those two curbs in the second to last turn was a nice sensation.

The wheel just turns itself on when plugged in, no manual power button.

Also having to hook it up to a pc to adjust the settings is strange,but I really dont mess with settings to much so its not a big deal for me, but I could see it being an issue for others.

Also if you read reviews on sites like amazon there are complaints about wheels malfunctioning. This is known issue due to people playing with the FFB set to full. The cooling system has to kick in when the motor gets to hot, which happens fast when you have the FFB all the way up. To avoid this issue many have advised to drop it down to 50%. I have it at 40% and its still pretty strong.

So for now it just becomes a waiting game of when will I buy a new rim, when will they release the larger pedals with clutch, and the shifter.

Seanspeed

Banned
if you take the time to learn it, it wasnt hard at all - or, at least as hard as any 7+ minute track would be while pushing hard and still getting a clean lap. it was an amazing track for A and lower cars and felt unlike anything else in the series. it, or something similar, really needs to return. i could time attack rally di positano forever.
I think he's talking about actually racing on it.

Which was a nightmare.

p3tran

Banned
Thanks for the races guys. I'll tally up the points a little later. I'm thinking Crude will still be in first. P3tran, sorry you missed the races and then we all couldn't hear you in game when you did join. Next week will be the Ford mustang Cobra R. Open to suggestions for tracks.

lol what a bummer! I had guests, one of them was playing COD for long. when i finally saw your message zorbsie i thought you just sent it, not one hour ago :)

next week lets do a nice car in stock form. I heard you guys talking about 360 stradale. not a bad choice :)

The Thrustmaster TX wheel is a confusing piece of tech.

The base is big and hefty, yet the wheel it comes with looks like a toy wheel attached to a push car when its all assembled.

cool-infant-push-car-e1315616366953.jpg

The material is also a large downgrade from my leather wrapped Fanatec PWTS, its plastic (not bad feeling) but its no leather.

The pedals are not bad, but also suffer from a lack of size. I mean the MS FFB wheels pedals were larger.

The USB cable is short, and its built in so I have to buy an extender so I dont have to keep picking up my seat and moving it closer to the XBOX.

The FFB is different, but I think that is because its not belt driven like the Fanatec wheels are. But actually driving it around Prague was a ton of fun because of the different surface types, and going over those two curbs in the second to last turn was a nice sensation.

The wheel just turns itself on when plugged in, no manual power button.

Also having to hook it up to a pc to adjust the settings is strange,but I really dont mess with settings to much so its not a big deal for me, but I could see it being an issue for others.

Also if you read reviews on sites like amazon there are complaints about wheels malfunctioning. This is known issue due to people playing with the FFB set to full. The cooling system has to kick in when the motor gets to hot, which happens fast when you have the FFB all the way up. To avoid this issue many have advised to drop it down to 50%. I have it at 40% and its still pretty strong.

So for now it just becomes a waiting game of when will I buy a new rim, when will they release the larger pedals with clutch, and the shifter.

Had no problems so far at 100% ffb, on PC at 100% the fans soon kick in though. New rim makes a lot of difference, hopefully you can find a good deal on one.

Had no problems so far at 100% ffb, on PC at 100% the fans soon kick in though. New rim makes a lot of difference, hopefully you can find a good deal on one.

I've seen a t500 GT rim on ebay for $80, I wonder if it would work? The only draw back would e a lack of shift paddles because the T500 paddles are attached to the base, so I would have to wait till the shifter is released. The only reason I wouldn't want to go with the Ferrari rim is the GT rim is bigger.

Yeah the GTE rim is still quite small but it is thicker, it's a good fit for every car. GT rim looks great for road cars but a little large for the E21 and so on.

I'm not sure it even works.

Oh shit I forgot about the Ferrari, yes the 360CS will be next week. We'll do a Mustang/IROC race the week after.

After week 2 here are the standings.
CrudeDiatribe 73
BIGT468 68
SoundScream13 45
Zorbs 45
P3tran 33
dead poul 25
Soggy Naan 19
Sp4ceman Sp1ff 16
Muerte X 14
Sleep8 1
Munish Thiara 0

What is going on man?? You used to be a contendah!

zorbsie

league_week35bxdd.png

Week 3, time for some prancing.
Car: Ferrari Challenge Stradale 2003 - Stock A616, but tune it anyway you want.
Tracks: Indianapolis GP - 10 laps
Road Atlanta - 10 laps

Trying to keep each race under 15 minutes each. Pretty sure that's doable for an A class car. Same time as before 2:00pm EST, even if you're playing call of duty :)
As always I'm open to suggestions for this week and beyond. I'll start the list here and update as people sign up.

CrudeDiatribe 73
BIGT468 68
SoundScream13 45
Zorbs 45
P3tran 33
dead poul 25
Soggy Naan 19
Sp4ceman Sp1ff 16
Muerte X 14
Sleep8 1
Munish Thiara 0

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Road Atlanta - 10 laps

Trying to keep each race under 15 minutes each. Pretty sure that's doable for an A class car. Same time as before 2:00pm EST, even if you're playing call of duty :)
As always I'm open to suggestions for this week and beyond. I'll start the list here and update as people sign up.

CrudeDiatribe 73
BIGT468 68
SoundScream13 45
Zorbs 45
P3tran 33
dead poul 25
Soggy Naan 19
Sp4ceman Sp1ff 16
Muerte X 14
Sleep8 1
Munish Thiara 0

thank you. much more likely i'll be able to race every now and then with a much smaller footprint on my sunday

7pm is awkward here, I ran some laps in preperation and tried to make it on Sunday but ran out of time, if it's ok I might add some of you guys to my friends list though.

SarBear

What is going on man?? You used to be a contendah!

I lost my connection in the middle of an arctic blast. 8 inches of snow. :(

He only raced once. Took first place and never came back. Thinks he's too fast for us.

No! I'll play competitive whenever their's a choice of cars.

oem cars, he is as fast as a turtle ;ppPppp

Turtle won the race last time i checked. ;) You did have an excellent tune on that Jaguar, though. Are you posting a public Ferrari tune?

BIGT468

league_week35bxdd.png

Road Atlanta - 10 laps

CrudeDiatribe 73
BIGT468 68
SoundScream13 45
Zorbs 45
P3tran 33
dead poul 25
Soggy Naan 19
Sp4ceman Sp1ff 16
Muerte X 14
Sleep8 1
Munish Thiara 0

Count me in for sunday.

I lost my connection in the middle of an arctic blast. 8 inches of snow. :(

No! I'll play competitive whenever their's a choice of cars.

Turtle won the race last time i checked. ;) You did have an excellent tune on that Jaguar, though. Are you posting a public Ferrari tune?

Right on man, we got slammed with that weather down here in Indy too. Had like 14" of snow with -40+ weather on some of the days. I was glad I could remote into work.

p3tran

Banned

depends. my elongated christmas vacation is over now, and work can be hectic.
if i find the time, I will sure do.
and turtle, you won not only the one race, but also the warmup race too.
dont think i dont take notice of these things.. ;PpPP

SarBear

Right on man, we got slammed with that weather down here in Indy too. Had like 14" of snow with -40+ weather on some of the days. I was glad I could remote into work.

Yea it got to -30 or so Monday morning. Car was completely bricked. Had to buy a new battery and everything. I went outside for like 5 minutes and my ears were on fire for the next HOUR. I hate the Midwest.

depends. my elongated christmas vacation is over now, and work can be hectic.
if i find the time, I will sure do.
and turtle, you won not only the one race, but also the warmup race too.
dont think i dont take notice of these things.. ;PpPP

Hey, I'm just sayin.....I didn't even notice, but I think i put that Lambo in the top 100 or so. I'm betting with a little dedication i could get it in the 33s. I was just cruisin.

I have made it a goal of putting a car in the top 100 in both A and S class from now on. Not sure what the "leaderboard" car for each track is, but I'll just pick something decent and run the hell out of it. Really got used to the game now that we had our first competitive outing. But I'm really looking forward to this Mustang race. Is it just the 00 Cobra or the 93 as well?

squared

Is there a bug with the Aston Martin DBR9? I googled before I wrote this, but didn't find anything.

Went to race in the GT League, game gave me the list of cars that can be used and bought with auto-upgrades when you don't have a car for that league. It shows that with auto upgrades, the DBR9 has 740 hp, and handling at 7.0.

So looking at the numbers between the allowed cars, I decided I was going for the Aston. Went and did some other things, came back and went and bought the DBR9 (from the Buy Car menu, not the pre-League menu).

Now, here's the "bug" part - stock, the car has 625 hp, and the only thing you can do, naturally, is to remove the restrictors, for 740 hp. But since the car starts out at R900, this of course puts it in P-class, P916 to be specific. The only other thing you can change, at all, is putting on drag slicks, and that drops the cars' class by a lot, and I though maybe that was the case for the auto upgraded car from the League-menu - but nope, without drag slicks the car has a handling value of 7 like I mentioned, and with it drops to 6.1.

So the Buy Car from the League Select menu gives you a DBR9 with 740 hp and that is still in R900.. And of course I bought mine from the regular menu. I haven't started the league yet, but Im suspecting I'll have a hard time with DBR9s bought with the 740 hp..

So apparently my Drivatard did over 1000 races for about 20k.

I think it may suck.

I wonder if it races at the difficulty you play at? Because I doubt my Drivatar is racing against normal players, unless they are just destroying my car at every turn. Getting like $3000 every couple of races seems low.

And as a bonus, fuck letting me know more people are using my designs, give me money or stop reminding me that my work has yet to get a return on my time investment.

Effect

Never really messed around with a Forza game. Really racing games in general. Are they designed mainly to be single player games with multiplayer or are they primarily multiplayer focused?

So apparently my Drivatard did over 1000 races for about 20k.

I think it may suck.

The Drivatar rewards thing tells you to log in every day to get money. My impression is that since your last login it will tell you how many races your drivatar did, but you only get money for the past 24 hours.

Never really messed around with a Forza game. Really racing games in general. Are they designed mainly to be single player games with multiplayer or are they primarily multiplayer focused?

It's fun doing either/both. Multiplayer is better with people you know, though.

Effect

It's fun doing either/both. Multiplayer is better with people you know, though.

So if I picked up Forza 4 for the 360 to play until I decide if I'm going to get a Xbox One or not when Titan Fall drops (and maybe get Forza 5 if I like 4) I should be fine just playing it offline? There is enough content?

So if I picked up Forza 4 for the 360 to play until I decide if I'm going to get a Xbox One or not when Titan Fall drops (and maybe get Forza 5 if I like 4) I should be fine just playing it offline? There is enough content?

There is enough content (more than 5!), and I did most of my Forza 4-ing offline, but the AI is much, much worse. Once you get into the longer races, it is trivial to end up in first place early in a race and it just becomes hot lapping. So, if you can find it cheap, go for it, or perhaps even the super-duper-ultimate Forza 3.

derFeef

http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/thread/6330791.aspx

Hi All,

When you play Forza Motorsport 5 today, you will be prompted to download an update for the game. This update includes a number of improvements to Forza 5, including:

Cars available in DLC Car Packs can now be used as Rental Cars in Freeplay and Multiplayer modes
Adjustment of the windshield damage threshold
Players can now perform engine swaps for cars from the LaFerrari Car Pack and the IGN Car Pack
Graphical fixes for the 2013 Caterham Superlight R500
Cockpit brightness has been adjusted for the 1960 Maserati Tipo 61 Birdcage
Engine audio for the 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 409 has been improved when using clutch

Thanks for your patience and we’ll see you online!

Seanspeed

Banned
Plenty of content.

Multiplayer is great, but its probably not something you just jump right into. Don't know what your experience with circuit racing sims is, but you'll want to learn the basics and the tracks first. Blindly going in without some knowledge of what you're doing just ends up with you off-track or in the walls and possibly taking others with you. No fun for anybody!

Apart from the comments about cockpit view audio I don't disagree with anything he said about the game or the wheel. Nice reviews.

But isn't that true in real life. Most cars muffle the sound so its obvious it would sound louder outside the car.

Edit: And the review for the wheel is spot on, the rim and the pedals it ships with holds it back. They are functional but adding another rim and set of pedals kicks it into another class.

But isn't that true in real life. Most cars muffle the sound so its obvious it would sound louder outside the car.

Edit: And the review for the wheel is spot on, the rim and the pedals it ships with holds it back. They are functional but adding another rim and set of pedals kicks it into another class.

Yeah and there were complaints in previous Forzas when it wasn't properly done.

The rest is spot on, really happy with everything we've got but I just want more.

That Maranello is unruly.

Such a great car in FM3-4. Can't get it to fit this time around. Anyone driving it (A Class)?

Yeah the new physics model has totally changed some cars. While the TVR is now quite drive-able with all assist off, the Ferrari 458 is such a handful with all assist off. Which is how it should be, but the Forza 3/4 physics had me spoiled.

lil smoke

Banned
Yeah the new physics model has totally changed some cars. While the TVR is now quite drive-able with all assist off, the Ferrari 458 is such a handful with all assist off. Which is how it should be, but the Forza 3/4 physics had me spoiled.

ah ha. So it is the Ferrari' in general.

I guess I'll go softer than normal.

Top Bottom