• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 |OT| Forza turns 10

I super doubt that it will be anywhere close to reality. If ISI had to rewrite their already super-complex tyre model to get NASCAR a bit more realistic and other games even tried to simulate air molecules à la X-Plane to get the drag physics somewhat realistic...
SMS even gave up on the task for a planned NASCAR DLC for pCARS (and they didn't really have problems shipping broken stuff before).

this will be just like the indy cars in FM6: A fun addition if you're just there for the tremendous sense of speed and went in, expecting it to be broken and unrealistic.

frontieruk

I super doubt that it will be anywhere close to reality. If ISI had to rewrite their already super-complex tyre model to get NASCAR a bit more realistic and other games even tried to simulate air molecules à la X-Plane to get the drag physics somewhat realistic...
SMS even gave up on the task for a planned NASCAR DLC for pCARS (and they didn't really have problems shipping broken stuff before).

this will be just like the indy cars in FM6: A fun addition if you're just there for the tremendous sense of speed and went in, expecting it to be broken and unrealistic.

zYBLEA8.jpg

FordGTGuy

Banned

Turn 10 is kinda known for pushing the limits of their tire model...

zorbsie

Here's a question, how much of this stuff will have to be in Forza 7 for it to not be a disappointment? I can understand the Porsche pack not being included, but I don't want to pay for the same dlc cars again.

Good question!

Forza 5 DLC rubbed me up the wrong way but it got a bit of a pass as they were new models for a new gen.

Cannot believe we're getting another track and it's not Asian. Maybe that will end up being the hook for Forza 7.

willbsn13

Cannot believe we're getting another track and it's not Asian. Maybe that will end up being the hook for Forza 7.

Apparently the lack of Asian tracks is to do with licensing. It would cost them twice the amount it costs them to license Le Mans just for Tsukuba. The cost is just too high.

Still, we could have Fujimi :( Miss that track! (along with Camino, Maple Valley & New York)

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Good question!

Forza 5 DLC rubbed me up the wrong way but it got a bit of a pass as they were new models for a new gen.

I think Forza 7 will bring back a ton of cars and tracks from previous games that aren't in 6. They laid the foundation, now bring on the content.

zorbsie

week25_headeryouez.png

The Final Race!

This is it folks. Last race of the Forza Gaf Racing League. We are going to do something fun this time. The recent DLC gives us the opportunity to do a Senna vs Prost race. Both cars are X class with the Ferrari having a slight advantage in the top speed stat. Hopefully that doesn't mean the grid will be full of Ferraris. :)

Available Cars
1990 Ferrari #1 Scuderia Ferrari 641
1988 McLaren #12 Honda McLaren MP4/4

I wanted to do an endurance race with full damage. I want racers to hit the pit at least once during the race. So it will be a much longer race than our weekly races. Race will be 20 - 30 minutes. I'll have to test how long the tires/fuel will last to figure out exactly how many laps to do. But first the track selection. I was thinking Spa, but on Sunday Le Mans (with chicanes) was mentioned. Is there any other track we should consider? Something we haven't tried or you'd like to see? Brands Hatch GP circuit? Let me know. For now lets go with Spa.

For those following along here are the updated standings.

Standard info for new comers:
Race day schedule:

We will have a 4 lap practice race with collisions off. You will try to get your best time in this race. The real race will use best lap times in ascending order for grid placement. Collisions will be always on, make sure to turn off sim damage on your end.

As always the lobby will be up at 3:00pm Eastern Sunday. The race should take 45 minutes to finish. After the race feel free to stick around and do more races with the group.

Can't make it on Sunday? Join in the fun by doing this weeks time trial. Post your best time on this weeks track before the race on Sunday to be included. Points will be given on time trials as well as the actual race.

Sunday race will be TBD, Spa maybe. I'll update when folks respond.
Don't forget that the car you use in time trial is the car you use on race day. Also the car you pick is the car you keep for the whole series.

Who can join?
Anyone on GAF is more than welcome to join. Just picked up FM6? leave me your GT and I'll send you an invite on race day. Simple as that.

Questions/Suggestions? I'm all ears.

I think Forza 7 will bring back a ton of cars and tracks from previous games that aren't in 6. They laid the foundation, now bring on the content.

Yeah that's pretty much what Forza 5 was at the time I didn't mind fewer HQ assets and let the next games build upon the platform.

Unless they squeeze in dynamic weather and/or a day night cycle we could just be in for a super-sized FM6.

FM7 could even release on a new Xbox. Cars and circuits already scale up nicely for 4K.

Noobcraft

Does anyone still have a replay saved of the first ForzaGAF race at Rio? I don't have it but I wanted to upload the complete race to YouTube.

Edit: Praise FrontierUK for having it uploaded to Forza TV.

gragy10

Tried out Spa with the MP4 & the 641 last night and loved the challenge of 'em on that range of corners & elevation changes. Monza seems a bit bland by comparison (tho prob better for actual racing)?

zorbsie

Yeah, I really like the challenge of Spa. But I don't want to be the guy who spins out in the second lap of 15. I guess you could say that about any track really. Trying out Monza in a bit I'll post thoughts then.

Tried out Spa with the MP4 & the 641 last night and loved the challenge of 'em on that range of corners & elevation changes. Monza seems a bit bland by comparison (tho prob better for actual racing)?

Yeah, I really like the challenge of Spa. But I don't want to be the guy who spins out in the second lap of 15. I guess you could say that about any track really. Trying out Monza in a bit I'll post thoughts then.

Yeah, Spa is definitely the better track but I just fuckin HATE that first corner so much.

What about that new track that came with the Porsche DLC? I don't think I have ever even raced on it.

Just in the Porsche anthology mode.

Speaking of, I am just now finishing that series up and I hit the GT3 on Catalunya race.

Sweet fuck that race was awful. You would think they would put those cars on tracks that worked well for them and not ones that make their cars understeering pigs for the whole race.

God that was an awful race.

zorbsie

What about that new track that came with the Porsche DLC? I don't think I have ever even raced on it.

I don't think BIGT has the Porsche DLC. I want to say there is another regular racer that doesn't have it either. Would be nice though, it would be a totally new experience for most.

EDIT: OK Tried Monza. Got to agree with Gragy10. Tested out Brands Hatch GP, was sliding around like crazy. Really fun, but we will end up destroying our cars for sure. Any thoughts on Nurburgring GP? I like the elavation changes on it. That first turn can be brutal, ForzaGAF has proved that before. :) Checking out Rio full now and Watkins Glen full. Watkins might be a good one.

BIGT468

I don't think BIGT has the Porsche DLC. I want to say there is another regular racer that doesn't have it either. Would be nice though, it would be a totally new experience for most.

Thanks for looking out for me zorbs, but as long as the weather stays the same I will be heading to the track sunday so more than likely I will not make it. :( So if I'm the only hold up on VIR you guys go ahead and run it but I expect to see some first turn carnage and cars stranded on the side of the track before the end of lap one!

It would be a shame to see such a wonderful little independent get swallowed up by the Microsoft machine, but the thought of Forza's car roster paired with Kunos' peerless vehicle dynamics does make me fizz. Like, quite a bit.

terrible

Banned
I just realized that the source is PretentRaceCars. I'd be shocked if there was any truth to this whatsoever with that as their source.

It doesn't really make sense anyway. If Turn 10 wanted to make a more pure sim-like experience they could easily do it themselves. Things like poor FFB, lack of qualifying, drift-happy physics, etc are all design decisions basically. They don't need to buy Kunos to fix those.

If the Kunos employees keep their jobs, get a fair pay and can keep working on parts of the game they love aaand have a say in important decisions, why not? Just keep Forza on the PC as well.

Btw. This reminds me on this comment from Marco Massarutto from Kunos in an interview about AC at maybe only 900p on XB1:
“(Turn 10) did a great job. When I played with the title I thought ‘wow’. They’ve done a great job with the graphics,”

It doesn't really make sense anyway. If Turn 10 wanted to make a more pure sim-like experience they could easily do it themselves. Things like poor FFB, lack of qualifying, drift-happy physics, etc are all design decisions basically. They don't need to buy Kunos to fix those.
I think their tries to base the tyre models on real world data have proven to under par with what other sims are doing. The invest money in tyres and redesigning tyre testing machines, acquiring data from pirelli and what they get is more unrealistic and less fun than if they had just licensed the tyre modeling engine from ISI like Reiza and Sector3 do. In Interviews Turn 10 always make it seem like they want the physics to be as close to reality as it gets then build driving and controller aids on top, hich I always thought is the absolute right approach.

But yea, pretendracecars as the source means that there is 100% nothing to this. I like the idea nontheless.

The best way to curb overly overly aggressive assholes online - disable collisions with other cars, enable full simulation damage, pick a very tight street circuit, usually they wreck first corner and rage quit.

It never gets old.

Top Bottom