• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 |OT| Forza turns 10

Neo 007

Holy shit!!! That race @ Sebring in the wet before the first Indy Car event,without any assists.....almost impossible!!

TBiddy

I'd assume the main reason for the 'lack' of activity (is it really that bad?) is that it's a driving game. It's hard to share fun stories and ask questions on how to progress.

Someone posted earlier and compared it to Fantasy Football. Not a bad comparison. We all know that guy, that insists on telling stories about his latest LOL/DotA/Smite/HoN-game and how there was this epic teamfight.

We also know, that in 95% of the cases, we couldn't care less about that story.

I'd wager it's the same stuff here. Sure, I could write about that one time at Sebring where I came in 2nd. Or that one time at Long Beach, where there were 4 cars vying for the 1st spot going into the last corner.

But really... who'd care?

frontieruk

I'd assume the main reason for the 'lack' of activity (is it really that bad?) is that it's a driving game. It's hard to share fun stories and ask questions on how to progress.

Someone posted earlier and compared it to Fantasy Football. Not a bad comparison. We all know that guy, that insists on telling stories about his latest LOL/DotA/Smite/HoN-game and how there was this epic teamfight.

I'd wager it's the same stuff here. Sure, I could write about that one time at Sebring where I came in 2nd. Or that one time at Long Beach, where there were 4 cars vying for the 1st spot going into the last corner.

see this post

it's not really that bad.

danowat

Banned

Or that fact that, as mentioned previously, it's only actually been out in the US for two days, and it's not even out in the EU yet.

Comes to something when people are trying to spin that lack of activity in a thread, when the game isn't actually out in the territory that is historically the largest for a racing game, into a negative.

frontieruk

Or that fact that, as mentioned previously, it's only actually been out in the US for two days, and it's not even out in the EU yet.

Comes to something when people are trying to spin that lack of activity in a thread, when the game isn't actually out in the territory that is historically the largest for a racing game, into a negative.

Activity is HIGHER THOUGH!!! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

ekim

Game is downloaded. (I took the bait for the ultimate edition) Just waiting to get home. :)

Some questions:
- are all cars available from the get go in free play?
- can each player set the driving aids separately in splitscreen?
- Is there any motivation in career mode this time around?

sam777

The game isn't out everywhere hence the slow OT also a sim driving game like this will always have a slow OT, as there isn't much to discuss in all honesty because what you see with this game is what you get.

Grassy

Wait till you get the to GT cars in the Stormfront series..............

I'm using the modern GT cars now and struggling a bit on the dry tracks, the Ferrari just seems to lack grip. Yesterday I was using the early GT cars and the Ferrari BB was great to drive with plenty of grip...

danowat

Banned
I'm using the modern GT cars now and struggling a bit on the dry tracks, the Ferrari just seems to lack grip. Yesterday I was using the early GT cars and the Ferrari BB was great to drive with plenty of grip...

Soften the suspension and ARB's a bit, they are way to hard on most of the stock setups.

Doikor

Game is downloaded. (I took the bait for the ultimate edition) Just waiting to get home. :)

Some questions:
- are all cars available from the get go in free play?
- can each player set the driving aids separately in splitscreen?
- Is there any motivation in career mode this time around?

- not sure
- yes
- you unlock showcase events which is a nice way to try out different cars/racing types without dropping the 1-2 million credits per car on the cars required to drive a lot of them (indycar, lmp1, f1, etc)

OrangeOak

I can't believe they haven't changed skybox in Alps from Forza 5.
All tracks that were present in 5 should have different weather or skybox in 6

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
As a veteran of many of the great Xbox racing games, I can confidently say FM6 may be the best yet. What I hope to get out of this is great races online with friends or against their ghosts. My fondest memories of Xbox Live are the racing games like MotoGP, Rallisport Challenge 2, Burnout Paradise, and PGR. FM6 appears to have that potential.

The result was I was playing against New Racer where most of the pack is lapped towards the end of the race, but having to chase these superhumans out front that were often beyond me. Sometimes I'd scrape along in third for much of the race, only for another superhuman to escape the pack and coming roaring passed me.

So this stuff is definitely an issue and from the official forum seems plenty of people are encountering it. And even if it doesn't affect your experience, you wouldn't begrudge it being fixed for the rest of us would you?.

What? NO, of course not! Sorry, if sounded arrogant. It was just that in my case (and your quote from Turn 10 as well) it was only one Drivatar and that didn't keep me from finishing in the Top3. Making it "a priority" if it's not like every second race or so and always only for one single Drivatar seemed over-reacted or very press-talk for me. Especially since I've become used to Slightly Mad Studios' speed of fixing/"improving" their game.

But if you say that it can happen to even 3 Drivatars in one race, that would be gamebreaking to more than 99% of players (including me), I can totally understand your frustration then.

I had a group of 3 Drivatars racing far ahead of the pack a lot in FM6 races, but they weren't like "gamebreaking" fast. Same thing happens in real world racing a lot. But this "I'm sure I would never catch that guy" happened to me only once and for one Drivatar and he started from pole like in the quote from Turn 10.

Lima

I just found a Hail Satan paint job for the Venom GT

It's actually quite accurate for that car lol

This, the Konigsegg and the Bugatti are just dumb cars. Stupid as hell with no ability to turn at all. Truly not fun to drive. A car from the modern area shouldn't handle like a car from the 50s.

On the other hand I did some early F1 racing and stuff yesterday. Man the guys in the 50s-70s had balls of steel and a a death wish. These cars are just for crazy people.

BigLee74

This! I was a bit taken aback at how little actually appears to have changed on the returning tracks. A different TOD would have been better than nothing. Midday race in FM5? Lets have an evening setting in FM6! Surely thats just some sliders at their end, and then let the track bake?

zorbsie

I did 5 laps on the ring in the rain driving James Hunt's F1 car. Only assist I had on was abs. That was an incredibly tense race. Cockpit view down the straight in the rain. Sooogood.gif

big fan of the showcase events.

normally id just pick a fast car on a track and just mess with it, but i usually pick the wrongest track possible for that car.

showcase events idk, put everything where they should be?

I had a hell of a time with those GT cars in the Storm Chaser event.

Throttle control was tough with a controller, but I started to get the feel for it at the end.

Brands Hatch was particularly bad. The slightest tap or twitch and I was in the grass. I ended up finishing that series by coming in third in all but one of the events.

This! I was a bit taken aback at how little actually appears to have changed on the returning tracks.

A lot has changed actually. Maybe the skyboxes are the same, but the amount of added detail is pretty impressive imo.

BigLee74

I had a hell of a time with those GT cars in the Storm Chaser event.

Throttle control was tough with a controller, but I started to get the feel for it at the end.

Brands Hatch was particularly bad. The slightest tap or twitch and I was in the grass. I ended up finishing that series by coming in third in all but one of the events.

A lot has changed actually. Maybe the skyboxes are the same, but the amount of added detail is pretty impressive imo.

I'll be getting Forza 6 tomorrow, but sold 5 long ago and will be unable to confirm. So, I'll take your word for it - but comparing screenshots and video clips in the DF analysis was how I formed my opinion.

danowat

Banned
I'll be getting Forza 6 tomorrow, but sold 5 long ago and will be unable to confirm. So, I'll take your word for it - but comparing screenshots and video clips in the DF analysis was how I formed my opinion.

Yeah, probably best to play it before forming a solid opinion of it.

Man, racing the WTCC cars in the wet, without assists, is legitimately tough, I've had to ramp the difficulty down a bit!!!
You're not wrong there! I found the series harder than the Modern GT wet races. The BMW I used was so oversteery. Maybe I should have used an FF instead of a FR car.

Oh and just to say, Brands Hatch in the rain driving a Corvette GT race car - fuck that!

1960s F1 cars in the wet on the Nordschleife. Good god. I'm amazed the guys who did that for real could get into the cars, there being no room for their balls.

witness

So what DLC cars is everyone hoping for? Personally I really want the new Focus RS, more American and Japanese race cars, both old and new. There's a good selection of race cars already, but there's still so much they can add.

danowat

Banned
You're not wrong there! I found the series harder than the Modern GT wet races. The BMW I used was so oversteery. Maybe I should have used an FF instead of a FR car.

Oh and just to say, Brands Hatch in the rain driving a Corvette GT race car - fuck that!

The Ebay 1 series?, yeah, I picked that same car, and yup, I also had the same "wonder if I should have picked an FWD car" thought too!

Noobcraft

So what DLC cars is everyone hoping for? Personally I really want the new Focus RS, more American and Japanese race cars, both old and new. There's a good selection of race cars already, but there's still so much they can add.
The new Focus RS
Mazda Furai
UNSC Warthog

Mascot

One of the unsung and often-ignored benefits of a dynamic weather/global illumination system is the constantly-changing skybox, especially when volumetric clouds are progressively generated. Even keeping the ToD and weather under real-time acceleration gives you a constantly-changing sky with bright pockets of sunshine and cloud shadows moving slowly across the circuit. It really does help to keep the circuits feeling perpetually fresh even under the same time and weather settings. If FM has to stick with pre-baked lighting this gen to maintain the solid framerate then it'd be of huge benefit if there were several skyboxes for each track with different cloud formations, just to give the illusion of racing there on a different day. The lighting doesn't necessarily need to change - just the skybox. I can't imagine this would require a huge amount of work in the grand scheme of things.

danowat

Banned
It really does help to keep the circuits feeling perpetually fresh even under the same time and weather settings.

I was thinking just the same thing the other night, in PCars, as the lighting is changing, the corner that has the sun in your eyes changes, where as in FM is stays the same.

On the surface, it's a pretty small thing, but what it actually adds to the game is quite a lot.

shandy706

I have NOT turned off AI aggression, but the AI was really well behaved last night. Wonder if they tweaked something?

If not...my AI is getting smarter. They stayed off me and each other (this is the beginning of the race too!)...but still battled.

IgnorantRemarkableBrownbear.gif

Gestault

Based on the three-ish showcase events I played through last night, I'm pretty impressed with how they have the field balanced. Those are some of the best races so far. The high payouts and lengthier races, even for failed attempts, make it something I was happy coming back to (the nighttime Daytona race in the Viper was nuts, and with above average drivatars and limited assists was a total sweet-spot for me with challenge).

HeliosT10

I have NOT turned off AI aggression, but the AI was really well behaved last night. Wonder if they tweaked something?

If not...my AI is getting smarter. They stayed off me and each other (this is the beginning of the race too!)...but still battled.

IgnorantRemarkableBrownbear.gif

Stands to reason if the people who's behaviour the drivatars are based on are playing the game more now and increasing the amount of data available.

my-cpu-is-a-neural-net-processor-a-learning-computer-t-shirt-vintage-t-shirt-review-cotton-factory-cotton-factory-2.gif

Certinty

Played about 8 hours now, here's what I think:

The Good
+ Best rain in any racing game
+ Showcase events mix up the flow perfectly
+ Best Forza physics to date
+ Great car list
+ AI seem to attack well, they don't commit to ridiculous levels

The Bad
- Game looks graphically outdated at times
- AI speed varies too much on different tracks, also too slow on some corners
- Having to finish in top 3 in order to move onto the next race is ridiculous
- You can't really win anything in career, it's just progressing up through ranks
- Far too little of wet races in career (at least so far for me)
- No dynamic time of day or weather.
- Most tracks don't feature night or wet racing

Don't get me wrong, the game is great. But I'm sort of surprised it reviewed so highly with a fair amount of flaws.

G Rom

Please tell me I wasn't the only one thinking that this was a tease for an upcoming alternate time of day DLC ?

mobile.129yss93.jpg

Revas

MAZDA RX7 SPIRIT R

Do it Turn 10

Please tell me I wasn't the only one thinking that this was a tease for an upcoming alternate time of day DLC ?

mobile.129yss93.jpg

That looks beautiful, I hope it is indeed that.

I don't see alternate fixed times of day being particularly difficult to do, it's just whether or not T10 decides it's worth it.

RoKKeR

mobile.129yss93.jpg
Oh hello.

I foresee a good amount of free DLC in the way of time of day changes/rain for the existing tracks...which totally works.

Also I am hoping for the 2016 Ford Focus RS. C'mon T10! I thought they said all the Ford Performance vehicles would be in along with the GT.

danowat

Banned

I'll be honest, with 460 cars in the game already, I'm really not that fussed about extra cars, what I want is, at least, either rain or night on every track in the game.

G Rom

For the recent stuff :

- 488 GTB
- 675LT
- 560S
- CLA 45 AMG
- C63 AMG Coupe
- S63 AMG Coupe

Bring back the track-only spec cars :

- FXX
- 599XX
- FXX K
- P1 GTR
- F355 Challenge
- F430 Challenge
- 458 Challenge

More iconic F1 cars, from more recent eras :

- F2004
- FW14B
- MP4/6

Crazy F1s like the 6 wheels Tyrell, the Brabham fan-car, etc...

Of course I wouldn't mind seeing more French cars like : at least one Mégane Trophy, C-Elysee WTCC, Espace F1, 405 T16, R8 Gordini, Alpine A310, Alpine A442B, Matra 670B, R21 Turbo, 2CV, etc...

To be honest, my number one request for DLC isn't more cars or even more night/wet tracks, it's Japanese tracks !!
I miss Suzuka and Tsukuba so much !
Bring back Super GT race cars with them too...

Top Bottom