• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 |OT| Forza turns 10

Stevey

league_signups2clk2p.png

It's time to announce the ForzaGAF league signups!!!

Now I've got your attention its only a tease, Zorbs and I are busy planning something special, but we'd like your help.

Please quote this post and complete the short survey to help us gauge how to mold our plans.

Many thanks from Zorbs and myself for taking the time to complete it.

Done

terrible

Banned
It looked pretty good up until I made contact with the wall. One day we'll have racing games like this with BeamNG.drive's crash physics. It might not be a good thing overall if that happens though. If you think intentional crashing is bad online now just imagine what it'd be like if the crash physics were ultra realistic. Even I'd be tempted to do it on purpose once in a while.

EBreda

league_signups2clk2p.png

Now I've got your attention its only a tease, Zorbs and I are busy planning something special, but we'd like your help.

Please quote this post and complete the short survey to help us gauge how to mold our plans.

Done!

I see. The other thing you can try is lowering the brake pressure. I don't personally, but many prefer <100% brake pressure with ABS off.

Good god! thank you, Im having troubles to understand how much it changes with that simple ajustment, basically now I can do pretty much anything I want with the car, Im not longer strugling with the throttle and the brake. I thought Forza 6 physics where a bit tricky and nerveous, now I feel like I have the same level of control as Forza 4.

Thank you!!

Good god! thank you, Im having troubles to understand how much it changes with that simple ajustment, basically now I can do pretty much anything I want with the car, Im not longer strugling with the throttle and the brake. I thought Forza 6 physics where a bit tricky and nerveous, now I feel like I have the same level of control as Forza 4.

Thank you!!
Get a feel for the physics, while they weren't that hyped up in the launch buildup to me it's one of the key areas they did a lot of work and it shows, specially with a FFB wheel

RawNuts

Thank you!!
Yup. I've had to lower brake pressure on my tunes since 5 as well, I didn't feel the need to do that in previous games, as it always felt like such a smooth brake force progression. I like it when the last 5% or so of the trigger locks the brakes.

So the spin for level 86 was four Toyota GT86 and 5 Toyota Truenos.

Thank you!!

Sure. Glad it worked out for you.

I received my Xbox One and Forza 6 today and all I can say is wow, what a great game. I can't remember the last time I played a racing game and felt the driving was this excellent and satisfying. I didn't think the haptic triggers would make much difference and I couldn't be more wrong, it really adds to the experience and really helps with your driving, having so much feedback from the road.

My only gripe is I paid money for something Richard Hammond was in, but it's a small price to pay.

Man I really miss that overcast sky (lighting was so good) on Silverstone. I know we have a rainy variant now but why not keep that overcast dry one plus sunny that we have in FM6. That way we would have 3 different variants for Silverstone. (rainy, overcast and sunny)

eastx

I like Forza 6 so much, it has inspired me to go back and play more of Forza Horizon 1 and 2 and Forza 5 to try to increase my Forza Rewards tier. They're all really fun, and it's cool to see how the series has changed over time. 6 has more visual improvements over 5 than Digital Foundry gave it credit for.

I received my Xbox One and Forza 6 today and all I can say is wow, what a great game. I can't remember the last time I played a racing game and felt the driving was this excellent and satisfying. I didn't think the haptic triggers would make much difference and I couldn't be more wrong, it really adds to the experience and really helps with your driving, having so much feedback from the road.

My only gripe is I paid money for something Richard Hammond was in, but it's a small price to pay.

I agree completely. Most fun racing game of this gen. Who's this Hammond person though?

RoKKeR

Ho-lee shit. The BAC Mono is a fucking incredible car to drive. Bought it for a career series tuned to A 700 and it is just a dream. Perfect balance of grip, low end torque, can still put the backside out if you are right on the line... it's bliss!

How was I not aware of this car until now.

leng jai

Ho-lee shit. The BAC Mono is a fucking incredible car to drive. Bought it for a career series tuned to A 700 and it is just a dream. Perfect balance of grip, low end torque, can still put the backside out if you are right on the line... it's bliss!

Someone didn't play DriveClub.

As much as I love the return of endurance races, it's a shame that one cannot tune a car's setup. We can equip mods and earn credits/XP, (unlike with rental cars), so the lack of tuning is a puzzle.

Helios, is there any chance that pre-race tuning for enduros could be patched in?

terrible

Banned

It's pretty incredible in Project Cars too. It's a bit twitchy but fun. I haven't given it a proper try in Forza 6 yet though really. Just a few rival laps on Brands Hatch Indy.

obligatory

1jCpRjW.gif

RoKKeR

It's pretty incredible in Project Cars too. It's a bit twitchy but fun. I haven't given it a proper try in Forza 6 yet though really. Just a few rival laps on Brands Hatch Indy.

obligatory

1jCpRjW.gif
Just watched that Top Gear segment after some googling. No idea how I had never seen that one before.

Anyways, took it around Laguna Seca for about 20 minutes with no HUD on and the volume cranked. A good reminder as to how much I love Forza...

That last page of discussion in the racing graphics face-off thread...ugh

Pardon my ignorance, but does any actual discussion ever take place there, or does it solely exist to keep the dick-waving between console warriors outside of the dedicated game threads? Minus, occasionally, Drive-by Club.

I think I know the answer.

Noobcraft

That last page of discussion in the racing graphics face-off thread...ugh
The whole thread has meme status during ForzaGAF races lol. It's not uncommon to hear spontaneous blurts of:
"Are we sure Driveclub looks better than this guys?"

"Driveclub looks better than this"

"Have you even seen those Driveclub gifs?!"

"BRB guys gotta go make some gifs"
...and so on. It's a good time lol.

frontieruk

The whole thread has meme status during ForzaGAF races lol. It's not uncommon to hear spontaneous blurts of:

Man my eyes are bleeding, Driveclub looks so much better than this. Drops the mic

BIGT468

league_signups2clk2p.png

Finally had a chance to jump on here, survey completed.

How I stopped worrying and learned to deactivate the rewind

I must admit I've used rewind feature a lot in the Forza Motorsport series, ever since it was introduced in FM3. Through FM4, Horizon, FM5 and Horizon 2 I've used this feature. I think I was first introduced to it in the first Dirt game, they called them "flashbacks". Although they were limited to a few uses. Grid used them too.

So when I purchased the Xbox One last year and of course I picked up FM5 along with it, my wife watched me play it. A comment from her, casually watching me play, kind of stuck with me:

Wife: "Isn't that just cheating?"
Me: "Nah, it just saves me from racing the whole race again if I mess up badly."
Wife: "Yeah, but isn't that the challenge and consequence of racing?"
Me: "......"

So after watching me rewind a lot in FH2, especially if I messed up huge jumps off-road, and commenting "you're using that cheat again a lot aren't you?" it reminded me of that FM5 comment.

I don't really consider it cheating, and I'm not pointing blame or making the fun out of the feature here, but fast forward to this summer where I purchased Project Cars for the PS4 (sorry Driveclub fans, that game just didn't satisfy my PS4 racing needs at all), and it didn't have this feature. What happened?

Well that old feeling of pre-Dirt and FM3 came back to me. Those sweaty palms and the increased heart beat of being on the last lap, being in first place with a competitor right behind you, where you KNOW one mess up is fatal for winning the race. It all came back and it relived some of those moments I had in the past with racing games, plus it was incredibly fun!

So I'm currently playing FM6 with the rewind feature turned off (I simply have it deactivate it, or else I know it's available and slowly begin using it again), and I'm actually loving it. Yeah, I have to restart races often, and yeah I have to simply accept not winning and seeing a car speed past me as I spin out in a corner. But it's just the way racing is and the consequence of braking too late or badly determining your racing line into an apex of a corner. Rewind took away this fear of messing up, and the extra stress level of excitement this fear gives. A key feature of a racing game really, for me at least.

I thought I just had to air my thoughts on the matter!

Mascot

I must admit I've used rewind feature a lot in the Forza Motorsport series, ever since it was introduced in FM3. Through FM4, Horizon, FM5 and Horizon 2 I've used this feature. I think I was first introduced to it in the first Dirt game, they called them "flashbacks". Although they were limited to a few uses. Grid used them too.

So when I purchased the Xbox One last year and of course I picked up FM5 along with it, my wife watched me play it. A comment from her, casually watching me play, kind of stuck with me:

Me: "Nah, it just saves me from racing the whole race again if I mess up badly."

So after watching me rewind a lot in FH2, especially if I messed up huge jumps off-road, and commenting "you're using that cheat again alot aren't you?" it reminded me of that FM5 comment.

I don't really consider it cheating, and I'm not pointing blame or making the fun out of the feature here, but fast forward to this summer where I purchased Procject Cars for the PS4 (sorry Driveclub fans, that game just didn't satisfy my PS4 racing needs at all), and it didn't have this feature. What happened?

Well that old feeling of pre-Dirt and FM3 came back to me. Those sweaty palms and the increased heart beat of being on the last lap, being in first place with a competitior right behind you, where you KNOW one mess up is fatal for winning the race. It all came back and it relived some of those moments I had in the past with racing games, plus it was incredibly fun!

So I'm currently playing FM6 with the rewind feature turned off (I simply have ti deactivate it, or else I know it's available and slowly begin using it again), and I'm actually loving it. Yeah, I have to restart races often, and yeah I have to simply accept not winning and seeing a car speed past me as I spin out in a corner. But it's just the way racing is and the consequence of braking too late or badly determining your racing line into an apex of a corner. Rewind took away this fear of messing up, and the extra stress level of excitement this fear gives. A key feature of a racing game really, for me at least.

This mirrors my own thoughts exactly. Motor racing, even in game form, has any number of variables affecting the outcome. Actions should carry consequences. There should be a delicate balance of risk/reward, and the experience is all the richer for it. Rewind is a crutch that dulls the experience and leads to complacency.

All IMHO, of course.

danowat

Banned
2nd from last race in the final series, on the final volume is Silverstone in the wet, I was running the current Grand Prix cars, the AI have some serious issues with that track in the wet, about 20 of them got stuck against the barrier on the last chicane before the start/finish straight.

supersaw

league_signups2clk2p.png

Anyone have the survey link handy?

GHG

Gold Member

So after watching me rewind a lot in FH2, especially if I messed up huge jumps off-road, and commenting "you're using that cheat again alot aren't you?" it reminded me of that FM5 comment.

I don't really consider it cheating, and I'm not pointing blame or making the fun out of the feature here, but fast forward to this summer where I purchased Procject Cars for the PS4 (sorry Driveclub fans, that game just didn't satisfy my PS4 racing needs at all), and it didn't have this feature. What happened?

Well that old feeling of pre-Dirt and FM3 came back to me. Those sweaty palms and the increased heart beat of being on the last lap, being in first place with a competitior right behind you, where you KNOW one mess up is fatal for winning the race. It all came back and it relived some of those moments I had in the past with racing games, plus it was incredibly fun!

So I'm currently playing FM6 with the rewind feature turned off (I simply have ti deactivate it, or else I know it's available and slowly begin using it again), and I'm actually loving it. Yeah, I have to restart races often, and yeah I have to simply accept not winning and seeing a car speed past me as I spin out in a corner. But it's just the way racing is and the consequence of braking too late or badly determining your racing line into an apex of a corner. Rewind took away this fear of messing up, and the extra stress level of excitement this fear gives. A key feature of a racing game really, for me at least.

Best post of the whole thread. 100% agree with everything you said.

It actually saddens me that there are some people who wont play a racing game if it doesn't have rewind. Seriously... Learn to get good.

Lima

2nd from last race in the final series, on the final volume is Silverstone in the wet, I was running the current Grand Prix cars, the AI have some serious issues with that track in the wet, about 20 of them got stuck against the barrier on the last chicane before the start/finish straight.

It doesn't matter what car class, the AI is straight up broken on Silverstone. The problem is the puddle that is on the racing line in the third to last corner. The AI, despite Dan saying otherwise with Drivatars being separate for dry and wet, doesn't take a line you would do when it is wet. It drives the same way it would as if it were dry.
On that corner that means braking while inside the puddle. Doesn't work obviously and cars just go straight in the barriers. Then comes the other big problem which is it doesn't know how to get away from and around the barriers so they keep backing up and driving into it. It is quite a hilarious sight driving past them.

@rewind

Exactly my thoughts. Someone here said I had balls of steel for running the endurance races without rewind but that is exactly the thrill. Especially in Sebring. You gotta keep the focus high to make 82 laps flawless in the rain.

I will hate Codemasters forever for bringing this to racing games.

danowat

Banned

I'll go against the grain, probably unpopularly, but I'll try and outline why.

I have no problem racing without rewinds, I quite manage it in other games like PCars etc, but using rewinds are almost ingrained into the way FM works.

In a game like PCars (or insert other serious driving sim), coming 4th, 10th, 18th, makes no real difference to the game as a whole, progression isn't gated, content isn't gated, races aren't sprints (unless you want them to be), there is no overriding urgency to get to the past 10 AI drivers before the first turn so you as a player can settle down, race properly and focus on the thing that you are here for, the racing, you also qualify which means you generally aren't lumped together with a load of AI that are significantly slower than you are.

In FM you always start in 12th (I think, obviously unless you use a mod car), and the races are usually generally short, combine this with the unbalanced AI which means that the first few places generally sprint away unrealistically (bug I believe), the way the AI don't suffer with the physics as much as the player does (Lotus F1 is a perfect example) and the way that, unless you finish 3rd in career, your progress stops.

All these issues fundamentally make (IMO) rewinds almost necessary for your sanity in FM, and unless some of these issues are corrected, nothing will change.

To stop this, there needs to be qualifying so you aren't starting in the midst of a load of drivers who are many rungs below you on the skill ladder, there also needs to be a massive rethink of the 3rd place requirement, and make coming 8th, 10th, 14th less of a requirement for progression so the player can just enjoy racing rather than have the urgency of having to get into 3rd place to be able to progress.

In short, more focus on the actual motorsport aspect of the game will make it a more rounded game overall and remove many of the frustrations which lead many players to use and abuse the rewind function.

Sordid

Did 2 endurance events over the past couple of days, went up 10 levels and still no jackpot prizes.

d9mq69H.gif

Forza pls, I just want some credits so I can buy some decent cars! I've amassed about 2.5 million credits with 23 prize spins, my Forza rewards and using mods to boost my credit prize by 100% for the endurance events. I want the Lotus E23 but most of my credits will be gone :(

I'm having fun racing at least :lol

Grassy

I just made this clip this afternoon from the same race! Drivertards to the extreme - https://account.xbox.com/en-gb/game...y x&scid=417d0100-b230-41cf-975d-3eaa64f9397e

Here's a pic too...

I'll go against the grain, probably unpopularly, but I'll try and outline why.

I have no problem racing without rewinds, I quite manage it in other games like PCars etc, but using rewinds are almost ingrained into the way FM works.

In a game like PCars (or insert other serious driving sim), coming 4th, 10th, 18th, makes no real difference to the game as a whole, progression isn't gated, content isn't gated, races aren't sprints (unless you want them to be), there is no overriding urgency to get to the past 10 AI drivers before the first turn so you as a player can settle down, race properly and focus on the thing that you are here for, the racing, you also qualify which means you generally aren't lumped together with a load of AI that are significantly slower than you are.

In FM you always start in 12th (I think, obviously unless you use a mod car), and the races are usually generally short, combine this with the unbalanced AI which means that the first few places generally sprint away unrealistically (bug I believe), the way the AI don't suffer with the physics as much as the player does (Lotus F1 is a perfect example) and the way that, unless you finish 3rd in career, your progress stops.

All these issues fundamentally make (IMO) rewinds almost necessary for your sanity in FM, and unless some of these issues are corrected, nothing will change.

To stop this, there needs to be qualifying so you aren't starting in the midst of a load of drivers who are many rungs below you on the skill ladder, there also needs to be a massive rethink of the 3rd place requirement, and make coming 8th, 10th, 14th less of a requirement for progression so the player can just enjoy racing rather than have the urgency of having to get into 3rd place to be able to progress.

In short, more focus on the actual motorsport aspect of the game will make it a more rounded game overall and remove many of the frustrations which lead many players to use and abuse the rewind function.

I agree with the points you make here. The gold, silver, bronze thing in FM6 (and FM5) is kind of annoying compared to having points for the place your finish the race at. As such in the PCars career you can afford during a season to actually have a really bad race (I generally mess up the races where it begins to rain). The downside to such a huge season is that it gets repetitive season after season and FM6 is better for the quick fixes of just have a few shorter races and completing the championship you are in. They could still have it points based though.

I've also wondered why they even have 24 cars if you always begin at 12th, it's like the remaining 12 simply are ghosts that you never will encounter. Maybe a qualifying or qualifying simulation like PCars would be ideal to implement? Personally I don't mind the shorter races, and my first goal in each race is to get past that huge mid-speed pack of cars and aim for the top 6.

I guess it comes down to how the games are made to progress. Seasons versus shorter cups etc.

danowat

Banned
I agree with the points you make here. The gold, silver, bronze thing in FM6 (and FM5) is kind of annoying compared to having points for the place your finish the race at. As such in the PCars career you can afford during a season to actually have a really bad race (I generally mess up the races where it begins to rain). The downside to such a huge season is that it gets repetitive season after season and FM6 is better for the quick fixes of just have a few shorter races and completing the championship you are in. They could still have it points based though.

I've also wondered why they even have 24 cars if you always begin at 12th, it's like the remaining 12 simply are ghosts that you never will encounter. Maybe a qualifying or qualifying simulation like PCars would be ideal to implement? Personally I don't mind the shorter races, and my first goal in each race is to get past that huge mid-speed pack of cars and aim for the top 6.

I guess it comes down to how the games are made to progress. Seasons versus shorter cups etc.

Exactly, the series as a whole should be taken into consideration, rather than each single race taken in isolation, just that one simple change would make things much better.

As for the whole 24 car thing?, IMO, it's not much more than just a box quote......

bishbosh

Banned

All those DC comments make me laugh, what's the point of comparing a 60fps racer with a 30fps racer, im sure DC would look different if it was running 60fps

This mirrors my own thoughts exactly. Motor racing, even in game form, has any number of variables affecting the outcome. Actions should carry consequences. There should be a delicate balance of risk/reward, and the experience is all the richer for it. Rewind is a crutch that dulls the experience and leads to complacency.

All IMHO, of course.

Best post of the whole thread. 100% agree with everything you said.

It actually saddens me that there are some people who wont play a racing game if it doesn't have rewind. Seriously... Learn to get good.

Thanks for the positive feedback!

All those DC comments make me laugh, what's the point of comparing a 60fps racer with a 30fps racer, im sure DC would look different if it was running 60fps

That thread is just a thread for people owning one console and getting a reassuring backup from fellow fanboys that "yes of course dear, don't worry about the other horrible boys in the play park, you are the best in the world and your game and console shows the best graphics, have another chocolate cookie"

Top Bottom