• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 |OT| Forza turns 10

Stevey

This is probably gonna sound dumb, but where is time trial in the menu?
Like how can I pick a car and a track and do unlimited laps against my own ghost until I decide to quit?

RawNuts

This is probably gonna sound dumb, but where is time trial in the menu?
Like how can I pick a car and a track and do unlimited laps against my own ghost until I decide to quit?
They call it "rivals" mode instead, but it's basically a time trial mode. It's in the bottom right on the "go race" tab.
It won't be loading your own updated ghost each lap though.

terrible

Banned
Yeah it's been long enough that I'm sort of wondering if I'm just merging the features of Gran Turismo 5/6 and Forza 4 in my mind. I spent way too much time playing all of them.

SarBear

Managed a 55:032 so far in the S2000 (not allowed to switch right?)

I am seriously screwing up that first turn, though. I know this thing has a mid 54 in it.

danowat

Banned
But there is the option to do unlimited laps on every track in whatever car I want, right?

Yes, basically those one lap challenges are restrict to the spec or monthly categories, if you go to the class categories then they are all unlimited laps.

Stevey

Yes, basically those one lap challenges are restrict to the spec or monthly categories, if you go to the class categories then they are all unlimited laps.

Sweet, thanks.
I'll get a lap time in before Saturday.
Saturday night is like my busiest time of the week :v

Agreed. The east setup is just a long straight connected together with a series of turns that looks like the designer sneased while drawing it. I think the west route is more interesting and balanced between favoring speed versus handling setups.

I agree, but at the time the 4 tracks were announced I thought it was a great combination. 3 tracks new to Forza and 1 super beloved track. The reason for COTA East was - at least that's what I thought - to have a track that favors heavier cars with more power to balance out tracks like Laguna Seca that generally favor very light cars. The problem though is that COTA East's straights aren't long enough to get to speeds that really favor high powered cars. Light cars with good acceleration and a low drag (or at least low drag profile) are still very competitive on that track.

Sweet, thanks.
I'll get a lap time in before Saturday.
Saturday night is like my busiest time of the week :v
In the Rivals mode track selection screen, you can press the Y button to see the leaderboards, then A on your own Gamertag/time and "select as rival" to race against your own best ghost time.

Branson

Something about the physics with a wheel have put a damper on my enjoyment. Why is iRacing, stock car extreme, rFactor 2, AC, easier to control for me than this? The cars feel like they are on ice. Any tips for that? I play with all assists off and sim steering.

Something about the physics with a wheel have put a damper on my enjoyment. Why is iRacing, stock car extreme, rFactor 2, AC, easier to control for me than this? The cars feel like they are on ice. Any tips for that? I play with all assists off and sim steering.
Latency.

So there is no way to know your drag time unless you pay.

Yes, you read that right. Want to know how fast your car is down the 1/4? Pay for gold or go fuck yourself.

There are no permanent drag rivals on each class, quick race doesn't allow drag races, practice starts as soon as the track loads, and ends as soon as you cross the line with no timing available, and there is no way to host a custom lobby without paying for gold.

This is basically a big "go fuck yourself" by turn 10.

EBreda

Sorry guysm I joined the lobby but saw the race had already started.
Tried to tlak to you, could hear some of you but you could not hear me.

Hopefully I'll make it next time.

I wasn't exactly complaining before, but this tip (<--edited, now correct tip, sorry guys) made it better for me (assuming you have a TX wheel). Also try switching between "normal" and "simulation" steering in the assists.

I think what you're talking about is damping, not latency/input lag... at least in Forza Motorsport. Leads to the same feeling as input lag the first 100ms or so after your input, but one is a technical deficiency and the other is a (questionable) design choice. I'd love to read an analysis of input lag in racing games though. For fighting games it's much easier to test and that's why you can find tests for those. Don't think I've seen one for racing games except for this , which's methodology is just very flawed for racing games.

Devildoll

Sorry guysm I joined the lobby but saw the race had already started.
Tried to tlak to you, could hear some of you but you could not hear me.

Hopefully I'll make it next time.

Thats a common problem with forza lobby chat, a lot of people cant rear each other.

Which is why we try to go into party chat when we're 12 or less people.

So there is no way to know your drag time unless you pay.

Yes, you read that right. Want to know how fast your car is down the 1/4? Pay for gold or go fuck yourself.

There are no permanent drag rivals on each class, quick race doesn't allow drag races, practice starts as soon as the track loads, and ends as soon as you cross the line with no timing available, and there is no way to host a custom lobby without paying for gold.

This is basically a big "go fuck yourself" by turn 10.

I just went to check this, and yeah, that's pretty odd, there's no drag race layouts in the rivals or free race sections, that must be a bug right?

I think what you're talking about is damping, not latency/input lag... at least in Forza Motorsport. Leads to the same feeling as input lag the first 100ms or so after your input, but one is a technical deficiency and the other is a (questionable) design choice. I'd love to read an analysis of input lag in racing games though. For fighting games it's much easier to test and that's why you can find tests for those. Don't think I've seen one for racing games except for this , which's methodology is just very flawed for racing games.
I'm not talking about damping. Forza has noticeable latency compared to the sims Branson mentioned.

frontieruk

West route is far superior. Can we race that instead? The east route is super generic.

Edit: are drivetrain swaps allowed now?

Yes they were available since the first race I believe, I know Zorbs did mention it but IRCBA to find the post.

Sure Zorbs will answer soon...

completely OT but I know it's the easiest way...

hey P3TRAN as you asked... http://1drv.ms/1KmWVxx

(my Halo Limited edition Collection)

terrible

Banned

if you have a thrustmaster tx try 540 DOR with sensitivity set to 2 (mode + right paddle shifter once)

it will always feel like you're driving on ice but i feel i have more control like that. you still have to baby the throttle big time though.

I'm not talking about damping. Forza has noticeable latency compared to the sims Branson mentioned.
Ok... maybe some day I'll have enough experience with racing games and be good enough at driving to sense it as clearly as you are (at least I wish). Until then I'm just gonna trust you on this one.

if you have a thrustmaster tx try 540 DOR with sensitivity set to 2 (mode + right paddle shifter once)
that's the exact tip I posted in the link before!
... we had this discussion before, didn't we?! ;)

terrible

Banned
that's the exact tip I posted in the link before!
... we had this discussion before, didn't we?! ;)

Oops, I didn't see that sorry. We've probably discussed that in here before yeah lol.

After playing stuff like Assetto Corsa, rFactor 2, and Project CARS it's hard to not feel that Forza's physics are very unrealistic. You're slipping and sliding through corners in race cars with slicks that were engineered to be as sticky as possible. They don't behave like that in PC sims and I'd imagine they don't in real life either. Why did Turn 10 go this route? Is it to make it easier to just mess around and drift? It doesn't seem like they're taking realism very seriously.

I hate the fucking Ford GT passing challenge. I don't know how I can get past 81 cars.

Stupid cars take turns double wide blocking the line and brake check anytime I'm approaching them at speed.

zorbsie

Hey guys I hear the concern for this weeks track. If we all feel strongly about the track we can change it to the west route. My hesitation with that is people getting confused which track we are actually doing for hot laps and races. I'd rather just stick with it and know not to use it in the future. Thoughts?

If we get a vote, I'd vote for sticking with COTA East.

And anyone who thinks this track will be uneventful forgets that GHG will be there.

lem0n

I drive a stick irl, I just can't be bothered to push all the extra buttons in a race lol. If I had a wheel I'd use manual/w clutch. Being able to map the clutch to a button press at all is kind of dumb lol.
Me too, I guess it just doesn't bother me. Been driving manual in games since NFS 3 HP LOL.

Devildoll

Hey guys I hear the concern for this weeks track. If we all feel strongly about the track we can change it to the west route. My hesitation with that is people getting confused which track we are actually doing for hot laps and races. I'd rather just stick with it and know not to use it in the future. Thoughts?

I think we should stick with the track selection to avoid confusion.
only thing that would warrant a track change in my opinion is if something is broken.

Devildoll

in honor of the date

m9roFgg.jpg

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
^ Oh dear lord what is that thing?

So.... question.

How exactly does this game pull the drivatar data? I always get a bunch of people, mostly from my Friends list who haven't even played 6. I know at some point they may have played a little of 5 and H2; but it never seems to grab ANYONE that has played 6. There's a another group of randos that it grabs and they too haven't played 6. So I seem to get about a good, 1/8 of the entire grid of people who have played 6, with a total of 0 being from my friends list. Which isn't that many, but still.

In my experience, that phenomenon was actually worse in FM5, and FH2 was just terrible.

Maybe it depends on your friends list, but most of my friends that show up in FM6 career mode (never checked non-friends) have played quite a bit, but I have noticed some exceptions.

BIGT468

Watched the ForzaGAF replay from BIGT468's perspective in over-shoulder view. Man those first 5 laps were fucking intense. My utmost highest respect for not crashing into me with the ultra-wide cornering Devildoll and me were pulling when you didn't.

It's funny you posted this around the same time scrone posted the clip of me turning into soundscream. :( Sorry soundscream
who am I kidding Crude actually paid me a couple of toonies to take you out :D

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
^ Oh dear lord what is that thing?

So.... question.

How exactly does this game pull the drivatar data? I always get a bunch of people, mostly from my Friends list who haven't even played 6. I know at some point they may have played a little of 5 and H2; but it never seems to grab ANYONE that has played 6. There's a another group of randos that it grabs and they too haven't played 6. So I seem to get about a good, 1/8 of the entire grid of people who have played 6, with a total of 0 being from my friends list. Which isn't that many, but still.

I have a ton of people playing Forza and mostly get random people in my game. It's gotten to a point where I'd rather have no real names instead of random pussysniffer1234 or whatever his name was. There should be an option to populate the races with only people you know. Whenever I get friends they are in the back of the pack, despite some of them doing top 100 rivals times. It's just strange.

danowat

Banned
I have a ton of people playing Forza and mostly get random people in my game. It's gotten to a point where I'd rather have no real names instead of random pussysniffer1234 or whatever his name was. There should be an option to populate the races with only people you know. Whenever I get friends they are in the back of the pack, despite some of them doing top 100 rivals times. It's just strange.

I've noticed the gamertag "Stigs Digi Cous" in every race lately, whats that all about?

It's funny you posted this around the same time scrone posted the clip of me turning into soundscream. :( Sorry soundscream
who am I kidding Crude actually paid me a couple of toonies to take you out :D

I couldn't see you anyway with all that damn smoke, your car totally vanished.

Top Bottom