• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 |OT| Forza turns 10

frontieruk

God no why Microsoft whhhhhhhhhhy!!!!

Forza 6:
You may be unable to join multiplayer matches in Forza 6.
Forza 6 may fail to resume a suspended session after powering on the console in Instant-On mode.

Forza 5: You may be unable to join multiplayer matches in Forza 5.

NXOE users new update

Noobcraft

It's just that they couldn't and can't match Driveclub. They should just give up tbh.
I feel you.
Screenshot-Original.png

Yes Lima is being sarcastic. Driveclub, or rather what people say about it, has achieved meme status amongst ForzaGAF.

The_D

Neo Member
I think Forza 6 is trying to appeal to too wide of a crowd, and is worse for it. There are better recent arcade racers (Driveclub and Forza Horizon 2) and Project Cars has all of the sim features that Forza 6 is lacking.

They should embrace Forza Horizon as their arcade series, and focus more on the "Motorsports" aspect for FM7, IMO.

Also, IMO, their wheel and FFB support is beyond awful. There are a lot of us that picked up new wheels for Project Cars and are dumbfounded by how bad Forza 6 is on the wheel. Surely by now they should have somebody competent working on this. 8 games, counting the Horizon titles, and it's this bad?

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Sales estimates:

First career championship is always the same and you have six car selections leading to cars in classes E to B to drive in. The first career track for every player is Watkins Glen.

This leads to the following:

E: 70.000 leaderboard entries for first track
D: 210.000 " "
C: 315.000 " "
B: 273.000 " "

So 868.000 players so far have set a time on the first track of the game. Now you have to subtract those maniacs that have already started their second playthrough (which will not be that many) and add a certain amount of players that don't have their console online. Which will about cancel each other out. So best guess is that 800.000+ copies have been sold thus far after about a month. Not too shabby, it should reach 2 million by the end of holiday season.

Sales split is about 40 % Europe, 60 % rest of the world.

I'm having fun with it, and it's certainly not a bad game. It's actually great. I can't really put my finger on why I'm not really loving it, though. Part of it is that it feels like more of an incremental step past Forza 5, but the other is something about the career mode, it just doesn't hook me enough. Races feel long. AI drivers are sorta annoyingly good. There's a lack of clarity in what cars I can and can't use - specifically what class they can and can't be. Switching cars feels like you're setting yourself back in career mode, because the events are so specific. Upgrading your car almost feels discouraged some of the time, because you'll enter and event and have to strip all the mods you made out to drop to the right class. None of this stuff is a dealbreaker and like I said, I like the game. But all together they sorta diminish my enthusiasm.

Also - and maybe this is just me - something I liked about the very first Gran Turismo (going wayyyyy back) was being able to replay any race with any car. It was fun for me to go back to these races I initially struggled to win in a little beater (racing against other beaters) with my absurdly powerful expensive car 20 hours later, to win some easy money and ruin the beginner AI. Forza doesn't let you do that, they make every race competitive - and IMO, a little too competitive. I don't want every single race to be a white knuckle affair. But the way it is, it's like I need to be in the right frame of mind to play the game, I can't just sit down and fool around with it. I have to lean forward in my seat and get my game face on.

dakun

so as someone planning to get an Xbox One.. which is the best thing to start with.

Forza 5 GOTY?
Forza Horizon 2?
Forza 6?

There is a high likelihood of me getting FH2 in the console bundle anyway.

For reference, i'm a huge racing fan but i doubt i'll buy a wheel for the Xbox One simply because i don't have the tolerance for more than one wheel in the house. So I'll play on controller which makes me think FH2 is perfect right?
How playable is Forza 5/6 on a controller? Is it as much a SIM as GT5/6 is? If yes i doubt i'll enjoy playing it with a controller. I loved and still love playing Driveclub with a controller though.

so as someone planning to get an Xbox One.. which is the best thing to start with.

Forza 5 GOTY?
Forza Horizon 2?
Forza 6?

For reference, i'm a huge racing fan but i doubt i'll buy a wheel for the Xbox One simply because i don't have the tolerance for more than one wheel in the house. So I'll play on controller which makes me think FH2 is perfect right?
How playable is Forza 5/6 on a controller? Is it as much a SIM as GT5/6 is? If yes i doubt i'll enjoy playing it with a controller. I loved and still love playing Driveclub with a controller though.

FH2 is a no-brainer, that game is easy to like. Pretty and fun. IMO, the best of the three.

Forza 5 GOTY is an easy pass, Forza 6 is better in every way.

Forza 6 is great if you do want something "simmy". I'll let the racing game experts debate whether GT5/6 is "simmier", but my non-expert opinion is that the cars feel great/very realistic, and you can go pretty deep into mods and tuning, etc.

FM 5/6 probably has the best controller support of any sim-ish game I've ever played.

But Gran Turismo is the 1b to Forza's 1a afaic, so if you didn't like GT with a controller, you probably won't like FM with one.

How playable is Forza 5/6 on a controller? Is it as much a SIM as GT5/6 is? If yes i doubt i'll enjoy playing it with a controller.

I played FM5 on a controller and felt like "wow, this is one of the few games, I actually don't suck at". I then wanted to get a wheel, but because I always was more of a Playstation guy I didn't want to buy one for my Xbox. So I bought GT6 (probably had like 100h invested in GT5) and a Thrustmaster T500RS (that's not the wheel you have too, right? If so, let me know). Great experience, but GT6 didn't grab me like Forza 5... problem was, I just couldn't go back to a controller again. So I bought a Thrustmaster TX too only about 1 1/2 months after I bought my T500RS.

Forza 5 & 6 pretty much strive for the same level of realism as the GT series, at the moment they are ahead on playability and realism in my opinion, but a big part of that is simply due to this-gen processing power, that Polyphony didn't have. Also Turn 10's tyre research really shines in FM6 if you're not coming from really complex and processing intense tyre models like rFactor 2's, you'll love the feel of FM6's tyres, how they flex laterally and longitudinally now and their "bounce".

Normally I'd recommend someone who likes Driveclub(this is not a ForzaGAF joke, I had some good times with Driveclub!!) and is new to Forza to buy FH2, but I if I read you right, you should go for FM6 first, FH2's driving is more fun coming from almost the the same but harder and more realistic driving model and then having it easier in FH2. You'll like FM6 with a controller, the rumble on the triggers really helps and feels great... maybe you'll like FM6 even so much that you can justify buying a wheel for XB1 considering the amount of hours you'll be dumping into it.

I love this game after not really playing any Forza games since Forza 1 and 2, and even then, I barely played those.

Will likely play to finish the career.

Right now I run most races in Expert and if its a fun showcase I repeat it and try to win in Unbeatable. BMW Cup Car speed chase for example, very fun challenge.

terrible

Banned
Driveclub is basically our running gag in ForzaGAF.

Also, I'm reading through some of these posts here in an Eeyore voice; it's far more fitting.

I write all my posts with his voice in mind, what a coincidence!

I think 6 has been so amazing to me considering I never played 5 and haven't played 4 in years. So it was a rather large jump for me, especially the One's controller. I love it a lot in this game.

It's pretty crazy how much the impulse triggers add to the experience. You're basically left guessing when you're starting to lose grip without them. It really does make racing with a controller way better.

Lima

I feel you.
Screenshot-Original.png

Yes Lima is being sarcastic. Driveclub, or rather what people say about it, has achieved meme status amongst ForzaGAF.

Look at that beauty. One sexy ass car.

Like got damn.

Of course I was joking or was I? We'll never know. It's like the great mystery of ascending yes/no. Stuff you can't really figure out even if you try to.

It's still such a pain trying to find the best paint jobs in the game. Is there a site I can go to and get a load of names to follow so I can download their paint jobs? Forza official site perhaps?

I think Forza 6 is trying to appeal to too wide of a crowd, and is worse for it. There are better recent arcade racers (Driveclub and Forza Horizon 2) and Project Cars has all of the sim features that Forza 6 is lacking.

They should embrace Forza Horizon as their arcade series, and focus more on the "Motorsports" aspect for FM7, IMO.

Also, IMO, their wheel and FFB support is beyond awful. There are a lot of us that picked up new wheels for Project Cars and are dumbfounded by how bad Forza 6 is on the wheel. Surely by now they should have somebody competent working on this. 8 games, counting the Horizon titles, and it's this bad?

You are out of your god damn mind if you think PC is better on a wheel on the XB1. I have had nothing but issues with that game using a wheel since day 1.

terrible

Banned
You are out of your god damn mind if you think PC is better on a wheel on the XB1. I have had nothing but issues with that game using a wheel since day 1.

I have it on PC and PS4 and it's pretty solid on those. What's wrong with the Xbox One version? The only thing that'd kill me would be having to manually add all the custom FFB values for each car instead of just copy/pasting files in 2 seconds like with the PC version. Are there other problems?

I have it on PC and PS4 and it's pretty solid on those. What's wrong with the Xbox One version? The only thing that'd kill me would be having to manually add all the custom FFB values for each car instead of just copy/pasting files in 2 seconds like with the PC version. Are there other problems?

The FFB has changed at least 3 times, from non existent at first, then to strong, and last time I checked it was somewhat passable. In conjunction with the bugs and other issues (audio bug which has been there since day one) it was so frustrating, I just gave up. I'll check it out again in a few months, but I'm convinced the issues will still be there.

The_D

Neo Member
No problems on the Xbox either, the FFB is excellent. I use Jack Spade Classic settings, though.

No problems on the Xbox either, the FFB is excellent. I use Jack Spade Classic settings, though.

I'm sorry but I have to call BS on the XB1 PC was extremely flawed. Don't know if its changed in the past 2 months but it was anything but fine before then.

I'm sorry but I have to call BS on the XB1 PC was extremely flawed. Don't know if its changed in the past 2 months but it was anything but fine before then.

Weird that The_D is mentioning the Jack Spade Tweaker Files just now. I knew about them since July or so, but what I didn't know until yesterday evening (maybe 6 hours before The_D's post) is that someone made a conversion table, so you can use them on console too.

In PCARS on XB1 try to RESET all the controller options and button configurations, set your TX to 900° rotation, calibrate the wheel in PCARS again. Then do a practice test lap in any car with the individual car's FFB-setup from this from conversion table:
https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0Bw5ulCOYvLckYUlFOURuX2RRU1U&export=download

I tried "classic", "Fy+SopLateral" and "66%" (from the tabs of the xls file) and personally liked the "66%" settings the best so far and added some +10 Fx and +10Mz smoothing and it felt reaallly good. It sounded crazy to me to leave overall FFB at 100, but after the reset it was already better and not wheel-breaking hard any more. My time improved +1.5 seconds on my 2nd lap compared to the time I had written down from my FM vs. GT vs. PCARS test from page 4 or so of this thread, just because it was much easier to handle the wheel and I got the feedback information I needed. You should try it some day.

Hmm... maybe I should post this in the PCARS thread too, for other Xbox One players? :/

terrible

Banned
The FFB has changed at least 3 times, from non existent at first, then to strong, and last time I checked it was somewhat passable. In conjunction with the bugs and other issues (audio bug which has been there since day one) it was so frustrating, I just gave up. I'll check it out again in a few months, but I'm convinced the issues will still be there.

I definitely recommend trying out the Jack Spade settings mentioned in here if you haven't already. That's what I use on PC and it feels pretty good to me. I use the FFB Standard settings from him but the FFB 66% one feels good to me too.

HeliosT10

It's still such a pain trying to find the best paint jobs in the game. Is there a site I can go to and get a load of names to follow so I can download their paint jobs? Forza official site perhaps?

This is a really great community run website with lots of quality painters making contributions - https://theforzastorefront.wordpress.com/

The paint booth sub-forum on our official forums should also be useful - http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_topics79_Paint-Booth.aspx

Don_Ente

Neo Member

Forza 5 GOTY?
Forza Horizon 2?
Forza 6?

My answer / advice is pretty simple...

If you want to RACE on racetracks, FM6 is the only logical choice. It is - in my opinion - absolutely the most playable sim-racer with a gamepad.

If you want to hoon around, smashing into other cars, knocking over light poles and picnic tables, driving through vineyards, fields, forests, etc... then FH2 is the only logical choice.

If you like both - track racing and wild open-world smashing around - then get both.

Jezbollah

Helios, can we get more Koeingseggs, NASCAR racers and vintage Champ Cars?

NASCAR is licensed by PD for Gran Turismo, arent they?

Im not sure in terms of this game that cars are should be the priority. This game sorely needs more tracks (such as those missing that were in Forza 5).

Race today at 3pm Eastern. Hopefully I can pull myself away from Halo 5. Not so stealth brag. :)

How are you playing Halo 5?

NASCAR is licensed by PD for Gran Turismo, arent they?

Im not sure in terms of this game that cars are should be the priority. This game sorely needs more tracks (such as those missing that were in Forza 5).

I don't think NASCAR does exclusive licenses anymore.

Also, maybe you mean FM4, but there aren't any FM5 tracks that aren't in FM6.

There are some from FM4 that aren't in FM6, but I think FM6 actually has as many environments as FM4 overall.

Error1355

I recently finished the 82 laps of Sebring.

I quite enjoyed the hell out of it. Also I wish I remembered to put my EXP/Credit bonus card things on that race. >_>

negitoro7

My enthusiasm for playing F6 and FH2 with my Logitech G920 wheel has diminished such that I'm thinking of selling it now. None of the settings I've tried feel right, and why can't I map the paddles to be downshift left paddle, upshift right paddle instead of the other way around?

Lima

Bought a retail copy early. They locked out the online though. If the system is online it won't let you into the game. But in offline mode you can play the campaign. Honestly, I'm more interested in that than the MP.

Because you're as good in shooters as you are in racing games amirite?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I was wondering why they were asking about rain at COTA and I'm thinking: "It's Texas, how often does it rain there?"

Then I see the practice 3 session there's a downpour. More than likely from the hurricane/tropical storm heh.

huh

Apparently Austin get 3.9'' in the month of October.

frontieruk

I was wondering why they were asking about rain at COTA and I'm thinking: "It's Texas, how often does it rain there?"

Then I see the practice 3 session there's a downpour. More than likely from the hurricane/tropical storm heh.

huh

Apparently Austin get 3.9'' in the month of October.

CSFqmD7UkAA_5ZY.jpg

Hawk269

Been real busy and have been out of the loop with Forza 6 news....

Any update on new tracks being added to the game?
Any word on the next patch and what they are working to improve?

Thanks!!!

Top Bottom