• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 |OT| Forza turns 10

zorbsie

Quite disappointing that manufacturer affinity is capped at 25, and that it's so much quicker to max out than in previous versions, I have a number of manufacturers maxed out, and this actively discourages me from driving cars from that manufacturer, seems odd that driver level is uncapped and manufacturer isn't.

I see where you are coming from. But I use the affinity cap as a reminder to get out of my comfort zone and pic a car/manufacturer I haven't tried yet. Also with the cap at 25 I wish the level rewards were higher. Getting 3k for a level just feels like peanuts in this game.

I really need to start racing with you guys again or something because I haven't touched Forza in like a week. And that is really weird for me because I used to play it damn near every day. I feel like I am becoming "bored" or something with the Forza formula. Which is odd because this is one of the better ones, especially with rain and night added in. I dunno, maybe the right car or track pack might change my mind but this might be the first Forza I just stop playing.

Seriously, I am not even level 50 yet.

SarBear

I really need to start racing with you guys again or something because I haven't touched Forza in like a week. And that is really weird for me because I used to play it damn near every day. I feel like I am becoming "bored" or something with the Forza formula. Which is odd because this is one of the better ones, especially with rain and night added in. I dunno, maybe the right car or track pack might change my mind but this might be the first Forza I just stop playing.

Seriously, I am not even level 50 yet.

Understandable if you spent all that time with Forza 5. Garbage. You seriously need to dive into 6. The night racing is terrifying on some tracks and the rain courses, albeit challenging, are gorgeous

Understandable if you spent all that time with Forza 5. Garbage. You seriously need to dive into 6. The night racing is terrifying on some tracks and the rain courses, albeit challenging, are gorgeous

Yeah, and every time I start it up I am into it and can't wait to race. But for some reason after a few races I just get bored with it and start wondering what else I can play. It is really odd for me because I am huge fuckin car fan and that alone usually makes me want to just drive all the cars on all the tracks just to see what they are like.

Just not "feeling" it this time and I literally have no idea why. Not complaining or anything just surprised by my lack of interest.

Yeah, and every time I start it up I am into it and can't wait to race. But for some reason after a few races I just get bored with it and start wondering what else I can play. It is really odd for me because I am huge fuckin car fan and that alone usually makes me want to just drive all the cars on all the tracks just to see what they are like.

Just not "feeling" it this time and I literally have no idea why. Not complaining or anything just surprised by my lack of interest.

I know exactly what you mean. Usually car packs and especially Rivals mode help me. I look around on the leaderboards a bit, find a friend whose damn-proud-of time I can devastate or a track where I've only set a lousy time so far and try to break into top at least top 1% with a self tuned car that is not leaderboard breaker. The problem is, in FM6 there aren't enough people playing (yet) and the mods fucked up the leaderboards to a degree where top xx% doesn't mean anything anymore (it never meant much, but still a lot more than now).

My guess it, you'll be fine though. You squeeze in a palate cleanser like NFS or Crew Wild Run, one of the Rally games coming out or even Assetto Corsa early next year and after that you will be hot for some good old Forza feel and look again.

zorbsie

NFS doesn't feel like a pallet cleanser. It feels more like a rectal examination.

I love the look of it. I love the campy FMVs. I hate everything else about it. I want to like it so much too. The driving is not great. The rubber banding is crazy. But the nail in the coffin was I couldn't find a way to restart/replay a race/event. That and no way to pause the game. Thanks to EA Access I didn't have to learn this $90 lesson. I can wait till it's in the vault to play more of it.

I love the look of it. I love the campy FMVs. I hate everything else about it. I want to like it so much too. The driving is not great. The rubber banding is crazy. But the nail in the coffin was I couldn't find a way to restart/replay a race/event. That and no way to pause the game. Thanks to EA Access I didn't have to learn this $90 lesson. I can wait till it's in the vault to play more of it.

Damn, seriously? I have it preordered and was going to pick it up. How is the car customization because that was the thing I was the most excited about. It looks pretty fuckin awesome with legit wide body kids by real manufacturers.

zorbsie

Damn, seriously? I have it preordered and was going to pick it up. How is the car customization because that was the thing I was the most excited about. It looks pretty fuckin awesome with legit wide body kids by real manufacturers.

The car customization is on point! Gave me an NFS Underground vibe. It's one of the things that makes me want to really like the game. I just can't get over the negatives. If you don't have EA Access, it's only $5 for the month. You can check it out for yourself.

My problem with the performance customization (visual customization is nice) is that it feels like ticking boxes.

In other words, each upgrade may be a plus to overall hp or grip, but it doesn't (often) feel like you're make significant decisions about your car.

The rubber banding is crazy.

This is by far the worst thing about the game.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
This is by far the worst thing about the game.

It's been a problem with NFS and other racing games in general. I remember Split/Second being downright awful in that regard.

I liked what little I played of the beta, I'll probably end up picking it up if there is a good Black Friday deal.

It's been a problem with NFS and other racing games in general. I remember Split/Second being downright awful in that regard.

I liked what little I played of the beta, I'll probably end up picking it up if there is a good Black Friday deal.

No doubt. And I'm hardly a NFS expert, but it seems particularly bad in this game.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
There's no rubber banding, obviously they just programmed the AI to do ricer flybys all the time. It's a feature, not a defect; it fits with the theme of the game.

qypds2E.gif

danowat

Banned

Because it's the same formula for the last ten years, and the whole forza motorsport franchise is suffering fatigue.

There isn't enough different in FM6 to set it apart, FM only ever has small incremental improvements that never really feel like a fully fledged release.

Personally, I think it needs a big shake up, and a longer dev cycle.

Inside sim racing SP review, has a lot of legitimate criticism that I can identify with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ26AotXEtQ

Mascot

Because it's the same formula for the last ten years, and the whole forza motorsport franchise is suffering fatigue.

There isn't enough different in FM6 to set it apart, FM only ever has small incremental improvements that never really feel like a fully fledged release.

Inside sim racing SP review, has a lot of legitimate criticism that I can identify with.

Trying to be every racing game to every man has led to a very safe vanilla product. The game has blurred focus and a big identity crisis IMO. Too many aspects of the game have been half-assed to tick boxes.

terrible

Banned
I wonder what cars we're getting as DLC in November. I'm still hoping for a Furai and Alfa 155 V6 Ti.

I wonder if we'll see the Sesto Elemento come back at some point too. I loved it in Forza 4.

willbsn13

I definitely agree and feel like T10 need a longer dev cycle to re-work major aspects of the game that have lagged behind, like career mode.

danowat

Banned
I wonder what cars we're getting as DLC in November. I'm still hoping for a Furai and Alfa 155 V6 Ti.

I wonder if we'll see the Sesto Elemento come back at some point too. I loved it in Forza 4.

My (uninformed) guesses

Focus RS 15
Jaguar C-X75
Aston Martin DB10

If they take 3 years this time, the game will come out when the next gen rumors start and people might be holding off... Also game would need to be cross-gen or we'd have to wait 1 - 2 years until a proper next gen forza motorsport will be out. Sounds like a bad idea profit wise.
In 2 years the XB1 will have its largest install base, with new consoles at very very least still 1-2 years off... That's not the time to take a break or experiment with the formula, that's the time where they could get people who loved their 360, but didn't buy an Xbox One yet to buy a cheap new XB1-slim just for Forza 7.

Also, what experimental new structure and focus would you want in Forza? I don't mean like "personally", but what would get people to say "the Forza guys are doing whaaaat??! I need to have this!! (Even though I just bought a racing game)"?

terrible

Banned
I'm surprised the inside sim guys didn't specifically mention how little grip there is with racing tires. They did mention the odd snap oversteer with some cars but that's pretty easy to tune out of cars with zero performance points added (decel diff settings). I've never been able to get the amount of grip I'd expect with any of the racing cars personally. They're all still pretty driveable and fun for the most part but I'd like more grip.

I think they did a great job overall with this game. If they add more options to free play it'd be even better. Stuff like being able to choose your opponents cars and whatnot probably wouldn't be hard to include in a future patch I assume. I'm still going to be playing this until the next one comes out anyway but it'd be nice if they added stuff like that.

My (uninformed) guesses

Focus RS 15
Jaguar C-X75
Aston Martin DB10
Yeah the new Focus RS should definitely be in a DLC pack soon. That'll be a fun one to drive around too.

danowat

Banned
Also, what experimental new structure and focus would you want in Forza? I don't mean like "personally", but what would get people to say "the Forza guys are doing whaaaat??! I need to have this!! (Even though I just bought a racing game)"?

I don't think they need to do anything revolutionary, just flesh out the things that are in the game currently, but the things I'd like to see are...

Some narrative in the career, rather than an uninspired slew of events to plough through.

Some segregation between road cars and race cars, maybe even separate careers, but with the option to promote road cars to race cars with a certain amount of upgrades (slick tyres, rollcages etc)

Dynamic TOD and weather is a must.

Qualification.

Proper motorsport rules

Remove the arbitrary 3rd place requirement, focus on leaderboard points, make the player feel they've had a good and fun race regardless of them finishing 1st or 10th.

Make each race count in context to the next race, as it is, each race is independent and doesn't have any bearing on the next race.

Ditch the Drivatars.

Let us move our seat in cockpit view.

Tyre decals, may be a small detail, but adds alot to the visual fidelity of the game.

Properly make free play mode, let us restrict cars and groups and select the car each AL drives

Loads of other things I can't be bother to write.

I would second all of your points, but only these two might get people, who didn't buy 5 or 6, have interest in 7:
Some narrative in the career, rather than an uninspired slew of events to plough through.
[...]

The second one is probably really hard to do and by the time 7 is out, the average player will be more like "so they finally got this figured out too now, huh? Good on them." instead of "Want!!".

I think they need to do something more drastic.
- A "My career" mode written/directed by Spike Lee Ron Howard or
- do a lot of "realistic" future cars like the SRT Tomahawk X from GT6 (or the Chaparral 2X !!) or
- a build your own car mode with free deformation parts that can be community shared.

Turn 10 needs to make themselves some new fans with inventions like Autovista from Forza 4 that has let you have car conversation with none gamers like your dad for example. Horizon 1 got them a lot of new fans too. Driveclub will probably get a lot of new players with their motorcycle DLC, not that I want that in Forza, but it's a clever feature to get some new players.

danowat

Banned
Turn 10 needs to make themselves some new fans with inventions like Autovista from Forza 4 that has let you have car conversation with none gamers like your dad for example. Horizon 1 got themselves a lot of new fans too probably. Driveclub will probably get a lot of new players with their motorcycle DLC, not that I want that in Forza, but it's a clever feature to get some new players.

Do T10 ever do focus groups with the people who actually buy their games?, or is it all just designed by committee?.

I see so many great ideas in a number of places that continually get overlooked, this is either because the focus groups aren't "core" (hate that term) gamers and that the less core market actually makes up a much greater percentage of the market, or the game is just designed by committee to review well, and sell as many copies as possible.

Mascot

I don't think they need to do anything revolutionary, just flesh out the things that are in the game currently, but the things I'd like to see are...

Some segregation between road cars and race cars, maybe even separate careers, but with the option to promote road cars to race cars with a certain amount of upgrades (slick tyres, rollcages etc)

Qualification.

Proper motorsport rules

Remove the arbitrary 3rd place requirement, focus on leaderboard points, make the player feel they've had a good and fun race regardless of them finishing 1st or 10th.

Make each race count in context to the next race, as it is, each race is independent and doesn't have any bearing on the next race.

Ditch the Drivatars.

Let us move our seat in cockpit view.

Tyre decals, may be a small detail, but adds alot to the visual fidelity of the game.

That game already exists on Xbox One.

I'm surprised the inside sim guys didn't specifically mention how little grip there is with racing tires. They did mention the odd snap oversteer with some cars but that's pretty easy to tune out of cars with zero performance points added (decel diff settings). I've never been able to get the amount of grip I'd expect with any of the racing cars personally. They're all still pretty driveable and fun for the most part but I'd like more grip.

This really sticks in my craw.

I struggle to get within 10 seconds of the real lap times of many GTs and prototypes. Trap speeds are spot-on, but sustained cornering grip is way down in Forza. Grip mods help, but not nearly enough. I have no idea what sort of slicks T10 benchmarked, but the low overall grip and unrealistically progressive drop-off make them feel far more like cup-style road tires.

That game already exists on Xbox One.

Thank goodness it does. What gets me about FM and pCARS is that given the focus of each title, swapping their names would honestly make for a better fit.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan

Honestly? I want the Koeingsegg Agera R, and some '90s Champ Cars. I'd be happy with the Penske PC-23 that dominated the 1994 season, and the Target Chip Ganassi car that Alex Zanardi drove to back-to-back CART championships.

I appreciate the F1 racers from the '60s and '70s, but how about some '90s Champ Cars?

willbsn13

Well here are the clues:

Clue One

Dominant, pioneering, and in Forza it's in a class by itself

Clue Two

I'm willing to bet it's silhouette alone will capture your heart.

Clue Three

So fast he could pull to the side, reset his systems and still win the race.

Clue Four

No worries mate! Pretty sure this will be a hit.

Clue Five

A millennial moonshot.

Clue Six

I'm not dumb, but I can't understand why more American cars don't take advantage of this technology.

Clue Seven

Shazbot, Nanu Nanu

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Well here are the clues:

Clue One

Dominant, pioneering, and in Forza it's in a class by itself

Clue Two

I'm willing to bet it's silhouette alone will capture your heart.

Clue Three

So fast he could pull to the side, reset his systems and still win the race.

Clue Four

No worries mate! Pretty sure this will be a hit.

Clue Five

A millennial moonshot.

Clue Six

I'm not dumb, but I can't understand why more American cars don't take advantage of this technology.

Clue Seven

Shazbot, Nanu Nanu

Either clue 1 or 3 could be the Penske PC-23, Clue 7 could be the Plymouth Prowler, those were the last words spoken by Bon Scott on an AC/DC song, and that song was titled Night Prowler. The only other game I know of that has the Prowler is the arcade version of Cruis'n Exotica. Clue 5 is the Gumpert Apollo.

If clue 6 points to a fucking Smart Car, and we still don't have the Agera R, I'll kick a puppy.

zorbsie

I'll be cutting it close for today's race. I totally didn't realize the day. lol Worst parent evar. Hoping kids don't start showing up early, which will make my kids want to go out early. Anyways, I should be there.

Top Bottom