• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 |OT| Forza turns 10

I ended up not liking the paddles for clutch and shift.

The best setup I did find was to use one paddle on the left for clutch and then two paddles on the right for upshift and downshift. Anything else felt like:

tumblr_msl62wSoFQ1sapqz5o1_400.gif

Even with the Elite, I prefer to switch clutch to A and then use A->B for upshift and A->X for downshift.

Also, for a long time I thought A+B and A+X was OK, and you could get away with it in FM5, but in FM6, doing it sequentially is much better.

I need that new track.

Bought the new dlc pack for Project Cars and I'm more excited to play that, even with all it's worts. I just want more tracks!

I would die for a fantasy track pack. Fuji, Maple, Amalfi and NY would be awesome.
No sidewinder

VIR is a fantastic track, can't wait to check it out.

And yes, we need Kaido. Sweet jesus we need Kaido.

When does the GAF League start back up?

terrible

Banned
Depends on how good he is. It was incredibly easy to get the top 50% requirement for the Ferrari. I got two of them.

His current time is somewhere in the top ~38%. If it stays there it should be easy for most people to beat but if he keeps improving it then it could get pretty tricky.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
His current time is somewhere in the top ~38%. If it stays there it should be easy for most people to beat but if he keeps improving it then it could get pretty tricky.

I think it was like the Spencer/Grosjean event, the time that he recorded is the time you have to beat. Doesn't say he keeps racing, unless I'm mistaken.

terrible

Banned
I think it was like the Spencer/Grosjean event, the time that he recorded is the time you have to beat. Doesn't say he keeps racing, unless I'm mistaken.

Turn 10 said:
While Elliott will be spending the month improving his time, giving Forza 6 players a moving target to chase, his final entry time will be set no later than noon Pacific on February 26. That gives players an extra weekend to try and fight for those extra tenths and earn the bonus car.

It sounds like he'll be setting new times all the way up to the 26th potentially.

A bit LTTP on the leaked Porsche Expansion news, but it all makes me a tad moist.

Last year's all-conquering 919 Hybrid is the one I wanted more than any other, and since the Porsches returning from Horizon 2 ought to cover the road cars, if the 9 new-to-XB1 models included the 917, 935, 962, 911 GT1, RS Spyder and the 991 RSR, in addition to the 356 and aforementioned 919, that'd be just fine by me, thanks.

Hyped as fuck for the inclusion of VIR, too. That'll put FM6 just a couple of venues shy of having the entire IMSA WeatherTech Championship calendar in the game. I remember when FM4 was the official game of the ALMS, with all of, what, 4 tracks? Man, how times have changed.

Mascot

Are there any plans for Turn 10 to facilitate companion apps for Forza, like SMS did with pCARS? Having a second (or third, or fourth, or fifth) screen displaying telemetry, race positions, full track map, or even just a giant fuck-off gear indicator with rev lights is a truly superb addition. I've got a 10" tablet mounted above my screen and am seriously thinking of getting at least one more.

20151219_113031_zpswpcugibx.jpg

The latest update even lets you cycle through the info screens by pressing a button on the wheel/joypad/button box (that's another thing Forza could benefit from - button boxes!), so there's no need to tap the screen itself.

Has there been any discussion about this? If not, someone needs to plant the seed in Dan's swede.

Are there any plans for Turn 10 to facilitate companion apps for Forza, like SMS did with pCARS? Having a second (or third, or fourth, or fifth) screen displaying telemetry, race positions, full track map, or even just a giant fuck-off gear indicator with rev lights is a truly superb addition. I've got a 10" tablet mounted above my screen and am seriously thinking of getting at least one more.

The latest update even lets you cycle through the info screens by pressing a button on the wheel/joypad/button box (that's another thing Forza could benefit from - button boxes!), so there's no need to tap the screen itself.

Has there been any discussion about this? If not, someone needs to plant the seed in Dan's swede.

Yeah I'd hoped we'd see this stuff on Forza way back when Smartglass was announced.

Mascot

Great set up Mascot, I like that idea of putting a tablet on the top there.

It's the best place on my rig for a few reasons. There no space to the sides of the TV, the centre speaker is mounted underneath the TV (and vision would be blocked by the wheel anyway) and I wanted to keep the tablet at the same focal length as the TV to avoid refocus fatigue on my ageing eyes. Mounting was ridiculously easy as it just uses the opened folio case to drop onto a vertcal metal plate that in turn drops into my VESA mount. Happened to have a piece of stainless steel plate exactly the right size. The tablet even leans forward slightly, perpendicular to my peepers. Do you use one yourself? I can't imagine playing without one now.

Mascot, where do you keep your XB1? I don't see it in that pic.

Ha ha ha. Good one! :)

I'm too ashamed to have it on display.

Interested in both Assetto Corsa and Dirt Rally if they can hold a steady frame rate. If not then no big deal, it'll save me some cash if they can't.

Has anybody noticed F6's ffb increase in strength over time? If so could it be related to tyre temps?

Been testing Normal steering for a few weeks as I don't like how Simulation steering feels compressed and overly sensitive around the centre, running 10 laps at Monza over the usual 4 things begin to really get more lively about half way through.

I wish non-MS games would actually use the triggers.

I'll probably get Dirt Rally as well. I think I'm going to pass on AC for now.

Mascot, where do you keep your XB1? I don't see it in that pic.

It's behind the Amazing Fantasy #15 poster, which is where his safe is located. Natch!

It's behind the Amazing Fantasy #15 poster, which is where his safe is located. Natch!

How many western comic fans are racing game fans as well?? They don't have anything in common, how come... eh, whatever.

Yeah, I got DiRT Rally the day the Codies announced it last April (for 27€) and then couldn't play it, because their steam page didn't say it's DX11 only. Got a new graphics card in November and am playing DiRT Rally now. It's pretty great, I mean the graphics still have the one or other "last-gen-feel" moment to it, the sound as well, but it still looks and sounds really good. The handling feels very believable and fun(!!), yet in a way that I fear might be alienating some more casual players, the sky-high difficulty (I mean, I've played for 15h and never was 1st; being 5th and breaking the overall community delta in a 1970s rally car is not a rare thing in that game). But the difficulty adds to the realism and feeling of getting better at it. The biggest problem with the game is the campaign, without ANY story behind it (not even tweets or so like in PCARS) it feels a bit like "congrats to your 3rd place, here is some money, so you can buy more cars you could drive for free outside of the campaign in free play.

Going for the platform version where your friends are, so breaking their times keeps you coming back, is the way to go in my opinion.

I'm not sure about the intersection between comic book fans and racing fans, but I guess it wouldn't surprise me if it's quite large in a community like GAF.

As for Dirt, disappointed to here about the career mode. :/

Noobcraft

This, also my PS4 is a single player machine. I have like zero friends on PS4. :(
I will be your friend, but I don't have PS+ and all I play is Driveclub so I have no need for other racers, especially with the world class Season Pass and Hardcore mode.

As for Dirt, disappointed to here about the career mode. :/

The one thing it has is that you contract (faceless) crew members with different skills for repairs between rally stages and unlock their hidden special perks over time. You also unlock car upgrades like weight reduction stage 1/2 and advanced setup (almost as many sliders as in PCARS) on a per car basis (the kind of unlockable upgrades is different on a per car basis too).

What is cool is that you can put together custom seasons/events where the number of events and stages you select lead to a higher reward multiplier.
Why does Forza not have this? This would be easy to do and completely in line with the risk-reward structure for earning credits in races. They would just need to add a point table in between tracks of a free-play playlist and load in the same drivatars again... oh, yeah, that might be the problem. People who play more get their Drivatar loaded into more races of other people... still, just load Drivatars of gamers who play a lot into the longer playlists and people who play less into shorter playlists.
I think PCARS wanted to do this and then didn't... the "coming soon" button for that feature is gone (maybe I'm wrong).

I will be your friend, but I don't have PS+ and all I play is Driveclub so I have no need for other racers, especially with the world class Season Pass and Hardcore mode.

I will join the Drivclub hardcore too. (We could be a club... the Forza Hard Corps
no
)
Edit: Oh, and to form the perfect circle: My PSN name is AvengersAssemble ;D

terrible

Banned
Does that App for Project Cars work on windows? I have a Windows tablet, not Android or IOS.

I wonder why Forza doesn't have anything like that.

People actually post this unironically in every single thread I've seen about Assetto Corsa and Dirt Rally. Whyyyyyyy lol.

Fuck Does this work on consoles?

I ask Helios in every pre release Forza thread about using smart glass for this.......I have yet to receive an answer. I could have sworn Dan said something about it would be easy to do in an interview awhile ago, but didn't go into why they haven't done it.

Mascot

Fuck Does this work on consoles?

I ask Helios in every pre release Forza thread about using smart glass for this.......I have yet to receive an answer. I could have sworn Dan said something about it would be easy to do in an interview awhile ago, but didn't go into why they haven't done it.

Yep, and it works on the Xbone version of pCARS too so there should be no technical barrier to Turn 10 opening up UDP streaming for Forza. The pCARS companion apps aren't developed by SMS, they are done by enthusiast homebrew coders and put on the app store. SMS just opened the door to make it all possible.

Button boxes also work with pCARS on consoles, so that's another thing for Turn 10 to consider. I came yay close to building this mofo (finished the design, sourced the components, bought the enclosure) but the imminence of PSVR has put the project on hold. Not sure how BBs would work in tandem with VR as you'd be groping around in the dark.. ;)

BBg_zpsz9gnl58x.jpg

Yep, and it works on the Xbone version of pCARS too so there should be no technical barrier to Turn 10 opening up UDP streaming for Forza. The pCARS companion apps aren't developed by SMS, they are done by enthusiast homebrew coders and put on the app store. SMS just opened the door to make it all possible.

Button boxes also work with pCARS on consoles, so that's another thing for Turn 10 to consider. I came yay close to building this mofo (finished the design, sourced the components, bought the enclosure) but the imminence of PSVR has put the project on hold. Not sure how BBs would work in tandem with VR as you'd be groping around in the dark.. ;)

BBg_zpsz9gnl58x.jpg

Shit I got a project to work on after work.

Edit: As far as the button box that isn't something turn 10 could implement on their own. MS restricts the amount of usable buttons. Setting my wheel up for the first time in PCars was nerve wracking because I had to decide what functions I didn't "need" accessible via button. The TX has more than enough buttons but most of them just end up being duplicates on the XB1.

Is there a limit of a dozen or so buttons on the Xbox One like the 360 had?

Oh, yeah I see the edit.
Yeah its one of those head scratching decisions. I think its part of the reason we don't have rev lights on wheels. The new Logitech only has it on the ps4 version.

MS must have a reason, just wish they'd say what it is.

Mascot

Ah, my mistake, I thought BBs were working on XB1 a few updates ago. I must have mixed them in with companion apps.

Top Bottom