• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freedom Wars |OT| Vita's imprisonment for million years

Jams775

Question: As someone who dislikes monster hunter but quite enjoyed the faster pace of Soul Sacrifice how does it compare to those (also I'd be almost only single playing)?

It's too early for me to say, but Giant Bomb will be doing a quick look of it soon so you can look out for that.

LX_Theo

Banned
I'm guessing there was supposed to be some text here.
15654941445_23edb838f2_o.jpg

I noticed that too. It gave me a good laugh. Surprised that made it through QA.

baekshi

Banned
Question: As someone who dislikes monster hunter but quite enjoyed the faster pace of Soul Sacrifice how does it compare to those (also I'd be almost only single playing)?

It isn't as fast as SS (or SSD which should be even more faster because of combination of magics) but has fairly great pace. It's faster than any other afaik though besides SS.

ramyeon

It isn't as fast as SS (or SSD which should be even more faster because of combination of magics) but has fairly great pace. It's faster than any other afaik though besides SS.
Looks a bit slower than GE2 to me, but similar gameplay although even less focus on melee from what I've seen.

Also similar to GE2 in that there's no focus on armour, it's all just cosmetic. Kind of a shame, my favourite thing about MonHun is gathering parts and crafting armour sets and I'd love to see more Hunting games take that approach. Wearing armour made out of enemy parts is just so much more satisfying than spending points for a costume that doesn't even do anything.

Cheska

Just got home and excited to get started :D Added myself to the spreadsheet, feel free to send me a friend request on PSN ^_^

Jams775

Yeah, there are heaps of gameplay videos and let's play videos on YouTube that would people would be better off watching than a Giant Bomb quick look imo.

You're probably right, but I think Jason A. Striker is going to lead it so there's a chance... At least it's not Jeff.

Jason Oestreicher
‏@unastrike
Planning on doing a QL for Freedom Wars, but there is a lot going on in this game. It's going to take a while to get acclimated

maouvin

The jp demo didn't allow to make a sinner with a powerful beard like mine, so I didn't even bother making a male character.

She's wearing Gunnar glasses because she's so pro.

Also thanks Yasumi, had to progress a bit before being able to edit/check the rap sheet :)

People struggling with the first CODE 2 mission: use your Accessory! You can command them to carry back citizens so you can basically double your manpower. I think you can command the other characters too but I'm not sure. It will make it way easier. I went from getting my ass completely handed to me to a nice walk in the park victory.

Also if anyone wants to play right now, add me: jackissocool

Prelude.

I just read that the PvP patch removes the online pass, is this true? It even says on the box that there's an online pass, it's pretty weird.

Hikami

Co-op is so addicitng. Haven't advanced the story since I reached CODE 2.
Haven't had much luck finding a PvP match though.

Oreshika could be one of the final vita releases ;/ I want GE2 to come over and corpse party.

Man I want more Oreshika info too. Also that is a disheartening and sickeningly true statement. So many good Vita games coming out in Japan that sadly won't make it west for the Vita. Hell the new SAO game is Vita and PS3 and its rumored only PS3 is coming west.

Source? Sounds like made up shit considering that HF has been pretty successful and that the PS3 will be even more dead than now next year.

I'll double check but I could swear that's what I read on Siliconera yesterday with regards to English translation in Asian markets.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/10/27/sword-art-online-lost-song-will-localized-english/

Only mentions PS3 translation in the article but maybe they forgot to mention the Vita?

I'm with you though, would be poor choice not to bring it to Vita or both in the west.

Xenoflare

The translation is......meh. Reminds me of Fate Extra, which is not a good sign. The ##Empty## screenshot up there is also a testament of the quality.

The gameplay is neat, the graphics looks great, the story is beyond retarded.

Seriously, I would just left that Beatrice girl alone

$30 is priced "right" for a game like this. $40 is not worth it. At least Sony is nice enough to bring it here with a lower than usual MSRP

At least I got it on physical cart, this game will be a rare find, like most Japanese vita games

And I'm pretty sure this is hammered on when the game first came out, but the amount of God Eater I'm feeling here is over 9000

Yasumi

Banned
Source? Sounds like made up shit considering that HF has been pretty successful and that the PS3 will be even more dead than now next year.
Pretty sure source is Siliconera, which had an article about the Asia translation (without mentioning that it's Asia-only so far, and was posted days late) and didn't mention the Vita at all. But it is BS, since the actual announcement was obviously for both versions. They're full of crap, as usual.

Takao

Banned

The producer of the game said that Lost Song is on PS3 because of the west:

“If we were planning to release this only in Japan and Asia… if we were only concerned with the Japan and Asia markets, then maybe it’d be okay to just release it on the PS Vita console, I think,” Futami said when we asked him why SAO: Lost Song was coming out for both the PS3 and PS Vita.

“Hollow Fragment had been extremely popular in Japan and Asia. We’ve also released the game in the US, Europe and other regions digitally [through PSN]. So with Sword Art Online, we can’t just think about Japan and Asia, but also the rest of the world. And so we needed to come up with all sorts of ways to make it easier to approach those markets.

“We want to get the game out to more people, so this time we’ve decided to release it on PS3 and PS Vita. That’s the main reason. To get more people playing.”

http://sgcafe.com/2014/10/sword-art-online-lost-song-ps3-ps-vita-coming-asia-2015-english/

Bandai Namco has localized only the PS3 versions of PS3/Vita multiplats in the past, but they would have to be really shitty to do that this time. The Vita version will already be available in English thanks to the Asian release.

Hikami

can you edit your chars hair,etc later?

We're even getting more customization in the weeks to come. Free DLC until the end of November.

I’m also happy to announce that we have several weeks of DLC planned for all of you, including free DLC every week until the end of November! Everything from weapon packs and hairstyle additions to battle music and sticker packs is on the way, so please keep checking back to download the latest content and keep your Sinner stylish!
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/10/28/freedom-wars-out-today-on-ps-vita/

Akibared

Just failed a mission and its a bit annoying to have to do the story stuff again I guess saving before missions would fix that hahahahahahaha.

Illucio

Banned

It's not fast like Soul Sacrifice whatsoever, its probably even slowly then Monster Hunter in some aspects, but then again I'm using heavy weapons. (When I used starter light weight weapons they weren't too fast either.)

The game's combat is a lot of fun as of right now, the binding vine thing is very fun to play around with (I wish it had more customization and allowed wider movement/hookshoting around.) The game revolves around the vine's gimmick, and using a combination of guns and swordplay. It's fun, but feels chunky as I said before. If you didn't like Monster Hunter, I might not consider getting this game, but then again you liked Soul Sacrifice, so all I have to say is if you don't have plans to play any other game pick this up and see if you like it. :/

I'm however disliking the Sentence system, it was funny getting 10 years sentence for just walking around my prison cell at first, but having to keep buying permissions, getting - years for doing a mission for no good apparent reason, and there's all these lovely customizable items available if you skip buying permissions and buy more pretty clothes instead.

.... 40 years for standing in place outside in the Warren for a minute or two.... F--KEN RIDICULOUS.

baekshi

Banned
"We want this game to be successful in the Western market as well!"
<Makes it multiplatform with the goddamn PS3, in 2015, instead of the PS4>

*facepalm*

Well it would be nice to stop derailing the thread, but if it came on PS4.. people would cry about graphics, being held by vita and not 1080p or 60fps - like whatever.

Anyways on topic. Going to complete few codes today and call it a day.

I just read that the PvP patch removes the online pass, is this true? It even says on the box that there's an online pass, it's pretty weird.
Firstly, patch 1.20 will be available today, so please make sure to update! This patch does several things, including:
The addition of the online 8-player PvP mode, known in the game as “Vs. Operations.”
The Elimination of the online-pass that was required in the Eastern territories.
General difficulty tweaks and balancing.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/10/28/freedom-wars-out-today-on-ps-vita/

ascii42

"We want this game to be successful in the Western market as well!"
<Makes it multiplatform with the goddamn PS3, in 2015, instead of the PS4>

*facepalm*

Japanese developers really have no clue what the market looks like outside of Japan, don't they?
The PS3 is considerably less dead than the Vita, so it's better than nothing I guess. But yes, PS4 would probably be smarter.

antibolo

Banned
So.... I take it the text-to-speech function of the game was removed for the Western version? I have the Japanese version and, iirc, the Accessory addressed me by name upon introduction. But I didn't hear that in the US vesrion. If it has been removed, is it because the game was not dubbed? If so, that depresses me as that was a very awesome feature of the game originally....

Wait WHAT????!!!

Is this true??!!

Did they really take off the voice synth from the western version? I am genuinely scared right now. I was really looking forward to this...

So is that balanced?
Hard to say. I used the starting sword (upgraded) and a big fucking machine gun. I gave my accessory a rocket launcher. I saw a big variety of weapons. Spears, assault rifles, rocket launchers. It's hard to say what's balanced or not so early on. I think we won cause we had a battery of weapons and thorns and just outplayed them.

Every player having an AI companion and the mobility of the thorns make for a very unique game. I dig it.

antibolo

Banned
I assumed the entire reason they didn't dub the game was so they can keep the voice synth intact?

I am so bummed right now, I don't want to buy the game anymore. I don't like having major features cut from a game's localization. That voice thing was a pretty neat, unique feature, and they just got rid of it?? You've gotta be kidding me...

So the stuff we were talking about in page 5-6 of this thread (the customizable phrases) aren't even there in the western version? Really??

Top Bottom