• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRIDAY NIGHT [OT] - Official NeoGAF Weekend Kickoff

badblue

Gold Member
Totally rewatching House instead of doing anything productive.

Also drinking wine.
E News Wine GIF by E!

Finishing up

ZC913MC.jpeg

Since it's a short story collection (609 Pages), I already started this book in January of this year and got halfway through. So far it's the King best Short Story Collection I read

Last edited:

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
I'm still on my 4th Witcher book and Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy is looking at me from its shelf.
Embarrassed Shame GIF
How are you enjoying the Witcher books?

I couldn’t get into them. I think it was the 3rd book of the main series I struggled with. Maybe it was because not all the books had officially been translated into English yet. I’ve been thinking about trying them again. The last book I haven’t read at all Season of Storms I think it’s called.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
How are you enjoying the Witcher books?

I couldn’t get into them. I think it was the 3rd book of the main series I struggled with. Maybe it was because not all the books had officially been translated into English yet. I’ve been thinking about trying them again. The last book I haven’t read at all Season of Storms I think it’s called.
The first 2 books are like a collection of side quests I enjoyed them 😁

I like the world and the dark humor.
I plan on playing the Witcher 3 again once I'm done with the books.

But I stalled recently & need to get back at it.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
The first 2 books are like a collection of side quests I enjoyed them 😁

I like the world and the dark humor.
I plan on playing the Witcher 3 again once I'm done with the books.

But I stalled recently & need to get back at it.
Yeah I remember the short story books I liked them. The first book in the main series was good But after that I struggled with them. To be fair I think the last book wasn’t bad.

I haven’t played Witcher since Blood & Wine expansion in 2016. Well I did download it again when the ray tracing update came out but only got to the gwent tutorial.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Last edited:
NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt not only reading books but writing one in here as well.

Nah I don't have the creativity, my books would just be cheap knockoffs of A Song of Ice And Fire and Harry Potter 👀

It's comforting to know I'm not alone when I have trouble sleeping.

Thank you NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt , Putonahappyface Putonahappyface & nightmare-slain nightmare-slain ❤️

Now off to bed for 3 hours before work.

Oof that's rough

I just got back from driving to Chicago to get a Pizza Slice from a 24 Hour Italian Restaurant

Yeah I remember the short story books I liked them. The first book in the main series was good But after that I struggled with them. To be fair I think the last book wasn’t bad.

From what I read of the books, I prefered the sidequest collection books. The main story was good but couldn't get into it

I haven’t played Witcher since Blood & Wine expansion in 2016. Well I did download it again when the ray tracing update came out but only got to the gwent tutorial.

Weirdly enough I was a fan of The Witcher games ever since the first game came out in 2007. I had a crappy PC at the time and would play the first two games religiously

King is our generation's Edgar Allan Poe.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt just tearing through books:
Cookie Monster Eating GIF by Sesame Street

I'm just trying to reach my Goodreads Reading Challenge Goal of 25 Books this year (I just need to read through 10 more books to reach that goal)

As for King. I really enjoyed lot of the books he wrote but man I'm on a King burnout. I think I'll be just reading 1 to 3 King books per year from now on

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
This one. I probably will never buy a prebuilt again.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
22:22:22 22:22:22

yo home slice how u doin

when will you ascend and become 22:22:22:22?

I am thinking about a user name change... any ideas?

I'm very very good! Thanks for asking! Also very very busy & tired hence

I'll respond later brother!

Been thinking about the name thing as well actually.

Read your PM. 🤗

Gaming PC is finally arriving today which is great timing as I will be out of town until Sunday. Note to self, never trust the deliver by date as being the last date something can arrive.

Finally.

Happy for you Skip! 🥳 🤓

❣️

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
Disney cut off ESPN from my cable provider.

Freaking hell, man, not with the NFL season just days away. 😡

It's amazing to see these multi-billion dollar conglomerates act like children.

Last edited:
1080 144hz and a 4k 60. Starting at 1080 to get everything set up. Will move over to the 4k 60 when I get back on Sunday.

This thing is way louder than I was hoping for.
I'm assuming that you have two monitors for two distinct gaming genres.

Do a lot of monitors these day generate noise? I still use a PG279Q

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
1080 144hz and a 4k 60. Starting at 1080 to get everything set up. Will move over to the 4k 60 when I get back on Sunday.

This thing is way louder than I was hoping for.
Do you know what size of fans are in the case and on the AIO?

If you can get into BIOS you should be able to adjust fan speeds for the case fans and AIO.

I bought a new PC case a couple months ago and the included fans are LOUD with the default settings. I have them set to about 30-40%.

My AIO isn’t too bad and I have a more aggressive fan curve on it. Every AIO is different and it depends on the size of the fans/radiator. I have a 360mm radiator (3x120 fans). The water pump wasn’t loud at stock settings but it was making a high pitched noise that was annoying me. I turned the pump down and set it to run at 70-83%. By default AIO pump headers will run at 100%. My AIO reaches max performance at 83% so there is no need to be running it any faster. The high pitched noise because audible at 75% so I have it at 70% when using desktop then it will speed up when playing games.

As for your GPU you can install MSI afterburner. It’s really useful for lots of things. It’ll let you set a custom fan curve. It also lets you overclock/undervolt and if you install Rivatuner (it’s included with Afterburner) you can monitor all your system information and have an in game overlay. It’ll show cpu/gpu temps, usage, fan speed, ram, fps, etc. a more detailed system monitor is HwInfo64 if you ever need it.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I'm assuming that you have two monitors for two distinct gaming genres.

Do a lot of monitors these day generate noise? I still use a PG279Q
The noise is the fans in the pc. They're silent when nothing is happening but they sound like a jet engine when running at high rpm.

The 1080 monitor is/was for gaming on windows. My primary 4k is for my daily usage on Mac. I have honestly grown to vastly prefer macOS over windows. The included free office suite, not having to worry about os level tracking/recording, etc. I will probably switch my new pc over to linux when time allows. I abhor windows 11.

Not sure yet if I will keep the second monitor on my desk. I like having it for capturing stuff on my el gato. Switching back and forth might be a nightmare without.
Here's a kind of picture where you can see the 1080 monitor on the left and the 4k on the right
N0g03Ocl.jpeg

Do you know what size of fans are in the case and on the AIO?

If you can get into BIOS you should be able to adjust fan speeds for the case fans and AIO.

I bought a new PC case a couple months ago and the included fans are LOUD with the default settings. I have them set to about 30-40%.

My AIO isn’t too bad and I have a more aggressive fan curve on it. Every AIO is different and it depends on the size of the fans/radiator. I have a 360mm radiator (3x120 fans). The water pump wasn’t loud at stock settings but it was making a high pitched noise that was annoying me. I turned the pump down and set it to run at 70-83%. By default AIO pump headers will run at 100%. My AIO reaches max performance at 83% so there is no need to be running it any faster. The high pitched noise because audible at 75% so I have it at 70% when using desktop then it will speed up when playing games.

As for your GPU you can install MSI afterburner. It’s really useful for lots of things. It’ll let you set a custom fan curve. It also lets you overclock/undervolt and if you install Rivatuner (it’s included with Afterburner) you can monitor all your system information and have an in game overlay. It’ll show cpu/gpu temps, usage, fan speed, ram, fps, etc. a more detailed system monitor is HwInfo64 if you ever need it.
Yes, I know. I won't have time to tweak anything until probably the following weekend as travel and work are on my docket from now until then. Just trying to get it at least somewhat set up before I can actually play some games on this pc.

I will still need to rip out my SSDs from the old PC and get those transplanted.

badblue

Gold Member
Honestly debating on bailing on the vacation. I'd be out $800 but it might be worth it to get some rest at home.
I say bail on the vacation and enjoy the new gaming PC.
Relax, have an edible and play Wu-Kong.

I might just be projecting as I'm headed off on "vacation" next week and I kind of want to just stay home and avoid the 30+ hours of driving.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I say bail on the vacation and enjoy the new gaming PC.
Relax, have an edible and play Wu-Kong.

I might just be projecting as I'm headed off on "vacation" next week and I kind of want to just stay home and avoid the 30+ hours of driving.
I slept on it and woke up feeling way less stressed out so I think I will do just that. Already got the game downloading. Fingers crossed I can get a steady 60fps at 4k.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Mentioned above but current options are 1080/144 or 4K/60. I’ll go with the 4K one most likely.
I’m more of a fps person. The jump between 60 to 144 is crazy. I tried 4K but went back to 1440p and now I can play up to 360fps. I’d say there is a bit of a difference between 144-240 but it’s not as significant. I can’t tell any difference between 240-360.

It really depends on what games you are playing. Some games are perfect at 30-60. Some at 144 might have you wanting more.

Top Bottom