• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRINGE Season 3 |OT| Inexplicably renewed for a 4th season!

UraMallas

Yaweee said:
Oh my god he's doing the Observer shit.

This is actually a significant mythology episode. They're not time travelers, just living supercomputer prodigies.
Last scene of this episode is going to be the original Observer being in this facility, or something?

After that scene right before the commercial break, I wonder if he can't properly "calculate" Olivia's demise because she isn't from this Universe.

Yaweee

UraMallas said:
Last scene of this episode is going to be the original Observer being in this facility, or something?

After that scene right before the commercial break, I wonder if he can't properly "calculate" Olivia's demise because she isn't from this Universe.

Olivia has special abilities with no outward indication, so it is a clear failure in his data.

Observers are just really, really old, having mastered tons and tons of technologies and sciences before sealing humanity's latent powers and stifling its technological development.

big ander

I don't know if this is Observer linked. This man was drugged to expand his IQ somehow. Observers seem more naturally omniscient.

R2D4

Banned
So my guess is adrenaline will activate her ability when the bricks are falling on her and she will phase back to Olivia's universe to avoid them and but go back when it wears off.

big ander

Oh shit. These prediction scenes are pretty awesome.
Climax is gonna be sick. You know he's going to die because our Olivia won't act exactly how he expects.

R2D4 said:
So my guess is adrenaline will activate her ability when the bricks are falling on her and she will phase back to Olivia's universe to avoid them and but go back when it wears off.

Don't think she's gonna phase, that would be too early.

R2D4

Banned
R2D4 said:

Well shit. What's this oxygen thing about?

big ander

Yep, she didn't know about those things, so she was slightly quicker, so she lived.
R2D4 said:
Well shit. What's this oxygen thing about?
Charlie explained it. Something about compromised air quality, and a normal person from that side would understand the sign but she didn't.

R2D4

Banned
big ander said:
Yep, she didn't know about those things, so she was slightly quicker, so she lived.
Charlie explained it. Something about compromised air quality, and a normal person from that side would understand the sign but she didn't.

Yeah I understand the sign just not why they need oxygen in certain areas. Maybe it's just part of the problems that side has.

gdt

Great MOTW episode. Very interesting case. Would love to see that guy and his abilities again, he could be of great use to the Fringe unit.

big ander

Oh shit that Peter-vision was sweet.
Preview looks great. Love me some shapeshifters.

Alright and guys, we've been shown multiple times in numerous ways that the other side is much much different. We don't need to be told why they occasionally need oxygen in construction zones or what has replaced pens. We already have precedence to assume that it's different for a reason, and going out to explain every single one of those reasons would be ridiculous.

Yaweee

gdt5016 said:
Great MOTW episode. Very interesting case. Would love to see that guy and his abilities again, he could be of great use to the Fringe unit.

Somebody with his ability is in every episode!

big ander said:

Alright and guys, we've been shown multiple times in numerous ways that the other side is much much different. We don't need to be told why they occasionally need oxygen in construction zones or what has replaced pens. We already have precedence to assume that it's different for a reason, and going out to explain every single one of those reasons would be ridiculous.
Doesn't mean I don't wanna know why the air is compromised.:D I love hearing of the little differences and why they are different.

UraMallas

big ander said:

What else do you want to talk about? I think it's all good. Lot's of fun and intriguing things to think about. Why no pens? Why oxygen inhalers? Why such a beautiful mane on Walternate? Pressing questions and inquiring minds want to know!

UraMallas said:
What else do you want to talk about? I think it's all good. Lot's of fun and intriguing things to think about. Why no pens? Why oxygen inhalers? Why such a beautiful mane on Walternate? Pressing questions and inquiring minds want to know!
Pens were answered. Everything is digital now. The patients couldn't handle digital interfaces, but pen and paper worked well.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
big ander said:
I don't know if this is Observer linked. This man was drugged to expand his IQ somehow. Observers seem more naturally omniscient.

Maybe that coupled with Walternate's lab comment means that after his encounter with an Observer decades ago prodded him into trying to create artificial Observers?

big ander

UraMallas said:
PhoncipleBone said:
Doesn't mean I don't wanna know why the air is compromised.:D I love hearing of the little differences and why they are different.
You're right I'm being testy.
They oxygen...it looked like they were building something, maybe a common building material over there is also volatile for a time? Or maybe they were digging down into pockets of gas.

DarthWoo said:
Maybe that coupled with Walternate's lab comment means that after his encounter with an Observer decades ago prodded him into trying to create artificial Observers?
Not a bad theory. The end of the episode didn't necessarily point in that direction, but Milo could pop up again.
Oh yeah also, glyphs in the episode were BREACH.
Anybody catch good ol' September?

Let me in

This episode made me think they figured out a way to include "monster of the week" episodes while sticking to their universe-swtiching pattern. They pleasantly surprised me by including just enough to keep the momentum going on the story. Really liked this ep, too.

21j4n7d.jpg

big ander

Let me in said:
This episode made me think they figured out a way to include "monster of the week" episodes while sticking to their universe-swtiching pattern. They pleasantly surprised me by including just enough to keep the momentum going on the story. Really liked this ep, too.
Yep, over the few years they've been at this they have really figured out how to balance/mix MOTW and mythology episodes. It's quite cool.
Keyser Soze said:
http://i53.tinypic.com/21j4n7d.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
PERFECTION.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Another good episode, loved the "monster" this week. I think it's safe to say that Fringe hit its stride last season and has kept on rolling. Here's hoping the ratings pick up and this doesn't get cancelled, that would be a fucking shame.

squicken

This season has been really fun. But Jesus is Anna Torv a terrible actress.

eznark said:
She is a female Keanu Reaves

YES! The scene towards the end, where's she's supposed to be serious and comforting to the sister, and she's just smiling like a dufus. She has zero range.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
As with every Brad Anderson episode, this one was awesome.

PhoncipleBone said:
Walternate's ominous line: "I just have a much bigger lab now."

Confirmation that Waltenate is causing all the blights in the world?
... I don't think that's how you should read the line.

Walternate's just so far up the chain of command with so much under his control. He's got Fringe beneath him along with the rest of the Department of Defense. He's simply operating on a far larger scale than a laboratory, with far bigger stakes. It's his responsibility to save the world. I don't think the line is so much ominous as grave.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
My fav ep of season 3 so far. But I've always preferred MotW Fringe over mythology Fringe.

KevinCow

Banned
I really don't like Agent Lee for some reason. I don't even know why. He just annoys me. I was glad when fire guy took him out last season and really disappointed when it turned out he survived. I hope he dies this season.

bathala

Banned
really like the bad guy for this episode. the bridge scene was pretty bad ass.

I like the Peter scene at the end, and this might be the way for Olivia to remember.

Alternate world episodes r more intriguing

Vlodril

Excellent episode. The "villain" was fantastic. Great job by the actor who not only sold the genius part but the smug part as well. I think Anna Torv gets harsh judgement. She is doing a great work being Altlivia and then suddenly getting Ourlivia flashes. Altlivia is more carefree or even callus some times i think , where Ourlivia seems less happy more serious.

Anyway this season is off to a great start , i cant believe i stop watching this show on the first 10 episodes of the first season and then randomly picked it up again.

I agree with some of the theories here.

Observers are not actually from the future but can predict the future just like the villain in this episode. Obviously they may be First People who are that smart w/o drugs etc.
IIRC Before they predict something they also just look in the air as if they would calculate the effects of an action, you don't see them using technology for this.

We will probably see this dude again as he can predict many moves of the our universe if they feed him with enough data. He is quite powerful then because you can't dodge his "attacks" with skill or knowledge.
End of season 3: X-Men vs. Alt-X-Men!

I like the idea that all the catastrophic events in their universe are not actually caused by our Walter but are side-effects of Walternate who tried to get his son back & harm our universe. His character (because he was never changed by Bell) will take much bigger risks and won't care about casualties, so maybe in the beginning something went very wrong. This would also be a way to redeem our Walter to some extend.

Yaweee

More thoughts:

- Walter was being literal last season when he mentioned holes in the very fabric of the universe. Fringe events are literally miniature dimensional rifts that allow the Earth's atmosphere to sieve through at some slow rate that could at times inhibit normal breathing (like suddenly switching to a higher altitude with less-dense air). When they get bad enough, Quarantine Amber becomes necessary to seal the entire area and prevent any significant leaks.

- Walter's line about "a much bigger lab" at the end ties back to Broyle's line from the Pilot,

“Someone out there's experimenting, only using the whole world as their lab.”

- I'm fully convinced that the connection to the Observer ability was intentional. The previous theory (from Brendan) was that they were Observing the timeline all at once, but I think it is a nice twist that they're not actually watching time as they are calculating it. They're just standing there for eons, watching and calculating outcomes. But are they interfering at all? Who are the rogues or renegades that know of their existence that are trying to stop them (Mosley in The Arrival, the military guy in the one with exploding people).

This was just an awesome episode. I really love where they are going with this.

Yaweee

Slightly better ratings than last week, but by the smallest increment the Nielsen's allow. It could just be statistical noise.

Fucking loved this episode.

Great little Frank Miller details in the Alterverse (Aruba War), AWESOME Warren Ellis Math/Science, great stuff with Olivia, and NO BROYLES HAT.

Loving this season so far.

Mindlog

@Torv

...and I know she got a lot of flak for how sullen Olivia's character was in season 1. However, I can now cut her some slack and rationalize it as the writers intentionally exaggerating character traits between Olvia and Altlivia.

I don't mind MOTW episodes, but what they accomplished blending MOTW and plot deserves a medal. They achieved a remarkable balance this week.

Brinbe

Jesus, that was simply excellent, perhaps the best ep so far this season...And if it's starting out this strong, I'm confident this is gonna be a classic fucking season. Cannot wait for what's to come.

loved this episode. really really aweseom stuff.

btw can someone remind me, what bell did to walter? someone mentioned something on this page or the last and i forgot what he did

Top Bottom