• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRINGE Season 3 |OT| Inexplicably renewed for a 4th season!

Zoe

gdt5016 said:
The switch over has been working out well, but I look forward to the Over Here episodes way more, I must admit. Peter+Walter+Astrid+Altlivia is just too good.

In fact, just kill Olivia, and keep Altlivia as a traitor to her side.

Nah, what's gonna happen is Olivia will spend too much time on the other side, so some of the Altvia personality will stick (they mentioned this in the last episode). When she comes back to her original side, she'll permanently be a mix of the two (thereby setting up another obstacle for OliviaXPeter).

Solo

Heres hoping Mr. Cab Driver shows up again next episode. The premiere's final shot of him was too ominous not to foreshadow his return.

quaere

Zoe said:
Nah, what's gonna happen is Olivia will spend too much time on the other side, so some of the Altvia personality will stick (they mentioned this in the last episode). When she comes back to her original side, she'll permanently be a mix of the two (thereby setting up another obstacle for OliviaXPeter).
They did? All I remember is them saying after a certain point it would be too late to go back.

I think Olivia will change, but I can't see it as being anything but a conscious decision.

Solo said:
Heres hoping Mr. Cab Driver shows up again next episode. The premiere's final shot of him was too ominous not to foreshadow his return.
I thought I read somewhere that they were signing him up for multiple episodes. Cant remember where.

It is strange, because I thought the Over There episodes would be the ones I was the most excited about, but it is the Over Here ones I look forward to the most. Think it is just Walter I miss.

Having said that, I proclaim that every Our Universe episode we MUST have Walter interact with random MD employees.

Zoe

aswedc said:
They did? All I remember is them saying after a certain point it would be too late to go back.

Can't check now, so from Fringepedia:
Bishop tells him there is no other choice, Olivia needs to be completely immersed in her new identity so that in time, she will a reach a plateau where her new identity becomes permanent.

Brinbe

BlueTsunami said:
Alt Bubbles is gonna find Alt McNulty and they're gonna get Olivia back to where she belongs
:lol Seriously, we already had Frank Sabotka & Prez, so the more Wire cameos, the better. :D

This show is so much better when it focuses on long term storylines, and progresses them every week instead of Monster of The Week episodes, but when is that not the case for any series? Good episode.

UraMallas

Net_Wrecker said:
This show is so much better when it focuses on long term storylines, and progresses them every week instead of Monster of The Week episodes, but when is that not the case for any series? Good episode.
I can't completely agree. I think Fringe has done a great job of striking a balance this season. Last week's episode was a MOTW episode but I think it was the strongest this season because it had some key tie-ins and teased some bigger story arcs. This week was a little more mythos-heavy but I still think they did a good job with it. Basically, as far as this season goes, they've done great with MOTW. I also think some of the best episodes from S1 and S2 were MOTW episodes. However, the MOTW episodes from the past could've benefited with a little more mythology, imo. Last week's episode should be the template for those kind of episodes and I hope they keep loosely to that formula when doing MOTWs.

UraMallas said:
I can't completely agree. I think Fringe has done a great job of striking a balance this season. Last week's episode was a MOTW episode but I think it was the strongest this season because it had some key tie-ins and teased some bigger story arcs. This week was a little more mythos-heavy but I still think they did a good job with it. Basically, as far as this season goes, they've done great with MOTW. I also think some of the best episodes from S1 and S2 were MOTW episodes. However, the MOTW episodes from the past could've benefited with a little more mythology, imo. Last week's episode should be the template for those kind of episodes and I hope they keep loosely to that formula when doing MOTWs.

Last week was MOTW, but there was still a sense of "There is something bigger than just this case." Season 1 definitely had a clean split between episodes that pushed the overall story forward, and those that were there just for the sake of showing freaky happenings.

UraMallas

Net_Wrecker said:
Last week was MOTW, but there was still a sense of "There is something bigger than just this case." Season 1 definitely had a clean split between episodes that pushed the overall story forward, and those that were there just for the sake of showing freaky happenings.
I don't think I could disagree with anything you've said here. I must've not stated it clearly enough but I meant to convey many of the points you made in the post of mine you quoted.

UraMallas said:
I don't think I could disagree with anything you've said here. I must've not stated it clearly enough but I meant to convey many of the points you made in the post of mine you quoted.

I'm not arguing against your point in any way, I get what you meant. I was just pointing out why I LIKED last week's ep even though it was MOTW at heart.

squicken

The whole Olivia/Peter -- Ross/Rachael thing doesn't really do anything for me. But so far I've dug every episode. They do such a great job of immersing you in the world.

Though that fucking Taurus product placement was ridiculous. They actually panned the camera to focus on the back of the car with the model ffs

Mindlog

I really enjoyed the brain mapping at Massive Dynamic. So many different plots in play at the same time. It's great getting some payoff in what's a fairly typical scene. It's just another autopsy/experiment, but with so much more.

Tokubetsu

Net_Wrecker said:

I think it helps that they seem to be doing the MOTW eps this season in the red universe. Things are still fresh there and the rules are different.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I feel like Peter's smart enough to question Altivia. He talks about how she's changed since coming back, but he really can't imagine another scenario to explain that? He knows another Olivia exists, he knows she's acting differently, he knows the other world is sending agents over, and he knows they've managed to secure some pretty significant positions in government. That's more than enough to start wondering.

---

It's time to stop using the MOTW terminology. It's obsolete with Fringe. Just because an episode isn't actively moving the war-of-the-worlds story forward and the episode has a one-off villain doesn't make it a MOTW, at least in my book. MOTW is basically code for a procedural episode of a genre show, particularly one that's disposable in the big scheme of the show, but I really don't think that gives Fringe the credit it deserves for doing the non-mythology episodes but still delivering great character development. They've figured out a great way of having non-mythology episodes that aren't exactly disposable either. I think the term carries baggage that implies things that aren't currently true for Fringe.

bathala

Banned
it was good episode, but not as good as last week's.
must be the hair, but Olivia looks hot on this episode.

Taurus. Its fast enough to chase doppelganger. Taurus.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Fringe is starting to handle MotW episodes like Supernatural does, only better. Supernatural usually ties some character development into each MotW episode to make it feel like they're moving forward, although they usually aren't and their formula got pretty tired (I lost count of how many times an episode ended with Dean saying "I don't know if I can trust you Sam" or something to that effect). Episode 3 of this season did something similar, although I think it handled it much better. If they can strike the balance they did with E03 for every MotW episode, I'll be very happy.

Oh, and this week's episode was fantastic. I was sad to see Newton go as he kicked total ass this episode. I've been reading Altlivia's doubts about her mission as well and I think she'll have a turn around at some point. She has no other contacts now, she's stranded in our universe and without Newton to set her straight she might waver. I honestly don't know if they'll kill her off or not.

I'm amazed the show started out so well this year, especially as it has to introduce brand new mechanics of regular characters in different places, and different versions of characters in different places. I thought for sure that would mean a slow start once again - which would build up to the regular storming final episodes like the last two years...

I hope things are not a complete flip this season, and the show burns out after we get half way through.

Sad that there is now no episode now until November 4th

1zlgda9.jpg

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I have a quick question about the finale of the 2nd season: Can someone remind me of what method have Peter/Walter/Altivia used to cross back over?

Jinfash said:
I have a quick question about the finale of the 2nd season: Can someone remind me of what method have Peter/Walter/Altivia used to cross back over?
They used a "doorstop" that kept the small rift open between worlds. Belly used his own power to juice the machine while they crossed back over.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
PhoncipleBone said:
They used a "doorstop" that kept the small rift open between worlds. Belly used his own power to juice the machine while they crossed back over.
Ah yes, thank you.

I'm still going over anything that might have blown Altivia's cover, and I was trying to remember whether they had to rely on her on the second cross over or not.

Solo

Dan said:
It's time to stop using the MOTW terminology. It's obsolete with Fringe. Just because an episode isn't actively moving the war-of-the-worlds story forward and the episode has a one-off villain doesn't make it a MOTW, at least in my book. MOTW is basically code for a procedural episode of a genre show, particularly one that's disposable in the big scheme of the show, but I really don't think that gives Fringe the credit it deserves for doing the non-mythology episodes but still delivering great character development. They've figured out a great way of having non-mythology episodes that aren't exactly disposable either. I think the term carries baggage that implies things that aren't currently true for Fringe.

Bingo. I'm sorry, but if a person labels White Tulip simply a MOTW episode, then they are certifiably batshit insane. There is always so much great character stuff going on even in episodes that don't pertain to the mythology. Fringe does "MOTW" exceptionally well.

CrankyJay

Banned
Dan said:

I agree. People just like to complain, I guess. Too much of a good thing is bad anyway...it's like people want this show to wrap up after 3 seasons instead of looking forward to 6.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Zoe said:
Monster of the Week

Think X-Files' format.

Ohhhhh, the classic Super Robots format.

+1

ivysaur12

Banned
Ratings were down to a 1.9 last night. We're officially in bubble status now. If there is no 4th season... (I wonder, would NBC pick it up?)

Averon

ivysaur12 said:
Ratings were down to a 1.9 last night. We're officially in bubble status now. If there is no 4th season... (I wonder, would NBC pick it up?)

Goddamn. Fox was idiots for pulling Fringe off Tuesday nights.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Charred Greyface said:
What kind of Senator drives himself to work and doesn't have any security detail?
Pretty sure senators don't regularly have security details unless they're running for higher office, for special events, under threat, etc.

And Joe Biden took the Amtrak to work.

Brinbe

ivysaur12 said:
Fucking hell... So depressing ='(

Averon

Zoe said:
Why? It's their best performer in the Thursday slot for a long time.

Fringe was doing fine on Tuesdays nights. It wasn't lighting the charts, but it was doing well enough to not have to worry about being canceled. Moving it to the highly competitive Thursday night slot was a battle Fringe couldn't win. Sci-Fi shows like Fringe can't compete with comedy/police/medical/law dramas or procedurals.

Lost been an exception.

Zoe

Averon said:
Fringe was doing fine on Tuesdays nights. It wasn't lighting the charts, but it was doing well enough to not have to worry about being canceled. Moving it to the highly competitive Thursday night slot was a battle Fringe couldn't win. Sci-Fi shows like Fringe can't compete with comedy/police/medical/law dramas or procedurals.

The point is, if they're putting it in a slot that's historically done poorly, then as long as it's pulling in better numbers than what was there before, it's pretty safe.

There would be much higher expectations if it was still on Tuesdays.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
squicken said:
Though that fucking Taurus product placement was ridiculous. They actually panned the camera to focus on the back of the car with the model ffs

Yeah, I rolled my eyes at that. So much being "in the background".

ivysaur12

Banned
gdt5016 said:

1.9 about the average for NBC :lol
It's actually about a 2.0-2.1 but if Fringe were to move to NBC, it wouldn't be on Thursdays.

Here's what what we're looking at:

- Fringe helped improve Fox's Thursdays, which was the network's goal. However, the show is now well below the network average (even when you take zeitgeist shows like Glee out of the equation)
- Fringe is not produced by 20th Century TV, but by Warner Brothers
- Fox has already ordered X-Factor (3 hours) and Terra Nova (1 hour) for next fall. Fox has already canceled Lone Star (1 hour). That still means, if just to make room for the 4 hours of programming that Fox NEEDS to fill this fall, it needs to cancel at least 3 more hours of programming.
- The Good Guys is pretty much DOA, so that's another hour. However, that's also a Friday show. The rest of the bubble dramas on Fox are Lie to me, Human Target and Fringe. Lie to me and The Human Target both only have 13 episode orders while Fringe has 22 (Lie to me is from 20th Century and HT is WB). Most likely, HT is a goner (3 hours).
- Lie to me is less expensive than Fringe and is in house, but could be a summer series for Fox. It's definitely tempting for the network especially since it performed reasonably well this summer. That's 4 hours right there.
- BUT there's Ride-Along. Even if the show does mediocre, is Fox going to cancel both of its freshman dramas? (It is definitely possible if the show tanks).
- For now, Fox's comedy night has been kind of a success. Glee is doing real well and Raising Hope has done well for the network. Those two shows alone should be good to launch another comedy that night (if Mixed signals doesn't take off).
- Most likely, Fox is only going to premiere X-Factor and Terra Nova in the fall along with another comedy. There most likely will be another comedy and drama for midseason.
- Fringe is NOT a Friday show. Way too expensive. There are a ton of scheduling issues with Fringe next season because of X-Factor.

So, it doesn't look that good for Fringe right now unless it's numbers get up to a 2.1-2.2 regularly.

Now I brought up the NBC thing as a joke, but let's think about this:

- NBC wants a genre show. The Event was not an event.
- NBC wants to improve its relationship with Warner Brothers production (Fringe's production company).
- NBC needs some stability in its line up. They are launching 12 new shows. So far, all but one (two?) launched in the fall seemed destined for cancellation. Not to mention other shows like Parenthood aren't really lighting up the charts at 10pm. There's no way that they can support promoting that many new shows again next year. They're going to get the same results.
- Even in the heavily competitive Thursdays 9pm, Fringe has been incredibly constant at a rate that is in line with NBC's scripted average. Considering the amount of DVR viewship it gets, it most likely would perform better on a different night.

It's still kind of a joke, but I kind of like the idea actually :lol

CrankyJay

Banned
Networks don't like to move shows to other stations. See: Journeyman

It was an NBC/Fox show and NBC would have rather see it die than go to Fox and get better ratings.

If ratings don't improve for Fringe, then we'll see it die a lonely death in the Friday night timeslot with the likes of Terminator and Dollhouse.

ivysaur12

Banned
CrankyJay said:
Networks don't like to move shows to other stations. See: Journeyman

It was an NBC/Fox show and NBC would have rather see it die than go to Fox and get better ratings.

If ratings don't improve for Fringe, then we'll see it die a lonely death in the Friday night timeslot with the likes of Terminator and Dollhouse.

No, it won't. It's way, way too expensive for a Friday show. Hell, the salaries of Noble, Jackson and Torv alone probably would be the same as Dollhouse's first season budget.

Journeyman is a poor example. Not only was Fox doing remarkably better than nBC (thus there was no need for Fox to pick up the show), Journeyman had been bleeding viewers since its premiere and pulled a 1.6 in its penultimate episode. Coupled with the fact that it's a first season show with an unstable fanbase, there was no way Fox was going to pick it up.

Fringe, on the other hand, is made by a production team that NBC actively wants to court, has a stable (if smaller) fanbase that pulls around the same numbers weekly, is highly DVRed due to its ulta-competitive timeslot, and is in lines with many of the numbers that NBC currently is pulling even on Thursday at 9pm.

Obviously I'm not saying that this is a go-to solution or that it's bound to happen, but it wouldn't be a development I'd necessarily be completely blind sided by if it were to happen. Networks don't move shows often, but it happens once in a while, for sure. Look at Medium. And it would have happened to the New Adventures of Old Christine as well as Ghost Whisperer if they had come to a consensus on costs (ABC is probably still pissed about this considering their "exciting" fall lineup). If it's going to happen to any show next spring, it'll probably be with Fringe.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
ivysaur12 said:

Actually it got adjusted up to a 2.0. It's demo stayed the exact same and it's overal viewers were actually up this week.

Top Bottom