• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRINGE Season 3 |OT| Inexplicably renewed for a 4th season!

ivysaur12

Banned
Loved it. Great standalone that added to the mythology.

I really hope the ratings are at least at a 2.1 or a 2.2. A 2.3 would be great.

Mashing

Is there something I'm missing regarding the snow globes? I've seen every episode since the beginning and I do not see the significance.

Another cool episode. The standalone episodes are really good this season. I really hope this show gets its due in ratings and critical praise. These self-referential plots give the fans something to enjoy, while a casual viewer can take in the novelty of these trippy concepts.

Given the ratings though, I'm not sure Fringe has casual viewers.

Flash

Mashing said:
Is there something I'm missing regarding the snow globes? I've seen every episode since the beginning and I do not see the significance.

No significance that I can think of... maybe it represents the collision of universes? i don't know lol

episode was awesome though!

dkeane

Mashing said:
Sort of a metaphore maybe, smashing of an alternate world .... etc

big ander

Mashing said:
Flash said:
No significance that I can think of... maybe it represents the collision of universes? i don't know lol

episode was awesome though!
Was kind of a big moment:
Nina likened the two universes to snow globes, and showed that when they collide only one will survive.

ivysaur12

Banned
big ander said:
Was kind of a big moment:
Nina likened the two universes to snow globes, and showed that when they collide only one will survive.

Yup. It was a pretty blunt portrayal of what was happening.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Excellent episode this week. I'm warming to that new burn victim dude.

In fact I'm warming to the alt universe in general. It's gonna be craaaazy how they deal with having two versions of each character longterm.

Awesome episode... though why the hell does Olivia smile when she's giving bad news? So bizarre :lol

Head Peter amuses me. The ending was pretty awesome.

Mindlog

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Awesome episode... though why the hell does Olivia smile when she's giving bad news? So bizarre :lol

Head Peter amuses me. The ending was pretty awesome.

Head Peter proves that the alternate 'Earth' is actually,
Kobol

I'm really enjoying the current episode structure. Everything they do has an easy double meaning.

Let me in

big ander said:
I dunno. Every over there is pretty vehemently angry with the other side. I don't think they'd hesitate to take a traitor down, especially if they learned it was a fake Olivia.
Agreed, but like Bolivia might be wrestling with the ethics of her own mission, I think some of the people on the other side might question the morality of killing someone because they didn't work out as an experiment.

Will every character be willing to follow Walternate down that path? Not saying they won't or that they're not angry about the state of their world, but I see the show setting up this eventual question. And also the idea that there's neither good nor bad, it's based on your perspective. The perspectives are so fluid that some of the allegiances are bound to fall this way as well. We'll see.

big ander

Let me in said:
Agreed, but like Bolivia might be wrestling with the ethics of her own mission, I think some of the people on the other side might question the morality of killing someone because they didn't work out as an experiment.

Will every character be willing to follow Walternate down that path? Not saying they won't or that they're not angry about the state of their world, but I see the show setting up this eventual question. And also the idea that there's neither good nor bad, it's based on your perspective. The perspectives are so fluid that some of the allegiances are bound to fall this way as well. We'll see.
Yeah, you're right. In fact, I'd love to see alt Charlie switch to Blue Team. Bolivia and Lincoln versus alt Charlie and Olivia would be awesome.

squicken

Freshmaker said:
It's gas.

That this show succeeds despite the lead's poor acting is a testament to the good writing. They do a great job of making everything believable.

I thought this episode was a little weaker than the others so far this season, but still good.

BluWacky

squicken said:
That this show succeeds despite the lead's poor acting is a testament to the good writing. They do a great job of making everything believable.

I genuinely don't think Anna Torv is a bad actress. She and the directors may have made a questionable character choice in making Olivia so deadpan (and part of it is the habit foreign actors have of thinking "American accent" = "devoid of cadence") but I think she does a very good job of a consistent characterisation and she's doing a brilliant job of playing Bolivia.

Solo

Let me in said:
Walternate looked thoroughly annoyed with Olivia's supposed failure to cross, now she's disposable. That's going to create an interesting dynamic.

Thats not how I read his reaction at all. From what I read on his face, it seemed like he knew she was bullshitting him.

Solo said:
Thats not how I read his reaction at all. From what I read on his face, it seemed like he knew she was bullshitting him.

To me, he kind of seemed worried that she might be remembering her true self.

ivysaur12 said:
Ratings dropped to a 1.8 last night.

Not good :-\
:( I know the ratings are steady for Fox on a Thursday, but that is still bad. The question now is if they did move it somewhere else, has it already burned off the audience it had during the first season?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Fringe's ratings dropped right when Fox put it in that brutal time slot. The Fox execs, dumb as they may be, certainly know this. Ratings numbers don't exist in a vacuum.

That being said, obviously a dip is never good.

I wonder why Fringe doesn't have more viewers? Moving away from the MOTW format probably doesn't help... it makes the show pretty darn hard to pick up. I mean, let's be honest. If someone was tuning in last night for the first time, based on the World Series promos, they wouldn't have a fucking clue what was happening.

Rafa=FedKilla said:
Fox will keep this show alive on the basis of artistic integrity.
If you said this about some other network I would believe you. But this is Fox we are talking about. If that were the case we would still have Arrested Development and Lone Star.

Solo

I noticed that last night's ep on FOX HD had a "presented by DirecTV" logo beside it at the start, and it made me wonder - to keep the show alive, would FOX consider a Friday Night Lights kind of deal? Co-finance with DTV, let them run it first, then FOX airs it in the summer or whenever?

ivysaur12

Banned
GDJustin said:
Fringe's ratings dropped right when Fox put it in that brutal time slot. The Fox execs, dumb as they may be, certainly know this. Ratings numbers don't exist in a vacuum.

That being said, obviously a dip is never good.

I wonder why Fringe doesn't have more viewers? Moving away from the MOTW format probably doesn't help... it makes the show pretty darn hard to pick up. I mean, let's be honest. If someone was tuning in last night for the first time, based on the World Series promos, they wouldn't have a fucking clue what was happening.

It's one thing to be doing a 2.2-2.4 in that timeslot, which is what Fringe was posting at the end of last year.

A 1.8 is unacceptable, and well below their scripted average.

The silver lining might be that the ratings might be bad because people didn't know it was back after the break. But serial shows usually take the worst falls with breaks like that. If it goes up to a 1.9 in the finals it won't be so bad, but a 1.8 really isn't great.

Solo said:
I noticed that last night's ep on FOX HD had a "presented by DirecTV" logo beside it at the start, and it made me wonder - to keep the show alive, would FOX consider a Friday Night Lights kind of deal? Co-finance with DTV, let them run it first, then FOX airs it in the summer or whenever?

The two shows to which that has happened - Friday Night Lights and Damages - both are award winning shows that are significantly cheaper to produce than Fringe. That is interesting though, and good to know.

EDIT: Here, let's put it this way.

Here are the numbers from the latest original numbers for Fox's non-animated shows:

Glee - 4.9
House - 3.6
Hell's Kitchen - 3.4
Bones - 2.5
Raising Hope - 2.5
Fringe - 1.8
Lie to me - 1.6
Running Wilde - 1.1
The Good Guys - 0.7

Average - 2.45
Scripted Average - 2.3
Scripted Hourlong Average - 2.5
Scripted Average w/o Glee - 2.3
Scripted Hourlong Average w/o Glee - 2.04

There's few ways to cut it that work in Fringe's favor at a 1.8.

Sober

Holy crap, amazing episode!

Also, there was a similar bank robbery episode via walking through walls back in S2, was the robber the same dude or not?

Zoe

Sober said:
Holy crap, amazing episode!

Also, there was a similar bank robbery episode via walking through walls back in S2, was the robber the same dude or not?

Maybe you're thinking of S1 and the group that broke Jones out of prison.

Ashhong

Solo said:

I thought it was just disappointment since she had crossed the first time.

Zoe said:
Maybe you're thinking of S1 and the group that broke Jones out of prison.

No wasn't it a bank? I think one guy got his arm stuck in the wall

Zoe

Ashhong said:

Yes, that was season 1. They broke into a bank because part of Walter's device was in there.

ivysaur12

Banned
Ashhong said:
I thought it was just disappointment since she had crossed the first time.

It was a bank to get the transportation device so that they could teleport Jones out of prison.

ivysaur12

Banned
Also:

This isn't a series low. Last year after the World series, the show got a 1.7. Then it ticked back up to a 2.2 the next week.

big ander said:
If it means anything, I read Walternate's reaction just as "she failed this time, but we'll keep trying." I don't think he's suspicious yet.

Agreed. She already went over the first time, by that fact alone, there's no way in hell he'd dispose of her.

Ravidrath

Great episode - they seem to have found the right balance between one-off/storyline, and I love that as much epic sci-fi eventry there is, a lot of is coming back to the characters' relationships.

Seriously, what IS the deal with this season? After a year and a half of trying to figure things out, it has really been pitch-perfect.

Did they change writing staffs or what?

quaere

Ravidrath said:
Seriously, what IS the deal with this season? After a year and a half of trying to figure things out, it has really been pitch-perfect.

Fringe show runners said:
J.P.: We talk about, "Are there things we can be doing, are there things we should be doing to broaden our audience?" We're very very pleased with the show that we're making right now, and as Joel said, Fox has nothing but wonderful and supportive. Entirely. From creative point of view, from a numbers point of view, everything. There have been no grumblings at all—quite the opposite—and we have decided that we would rather turn out a show with perhaps a slightly smaller fanbase, but one that's really really passionate about the show, and not worry about gimmicky stuff. What we say is that not everyone likes licorice, but the people that like it, really like it.
J.W.: We want to make that show.
Might have something to do with it.

big ander

Ravidrath said:
Great episode - they seem to have found the right balance between one-off/storyline, and I love that as much epic sci-fi eventry there is, a lot of is coming back to the characters' relationships.

Season 2 also found a great balance. The show's been on a role for a long time now, and I'm enjoying it. :D

Ravidrath

big ander said:
Season 2 also found a great balance. The show's been on a role for a long time now, and I'm enjoying it. :D

The first half of season 2 was pretty uneven, I think - it didn't really get good until the second half when they did the 1985 episode and started on what turned into season 3.

I don't buy a lot of TV on Blu-Ray, but I'm thinking Fringe could be headed for my shelf soon.

big ander

Ravidrath said:
The first half of season 2 was pretty uneven, I think - it didn't really get good until the second half when they did the 1985 episode and started on what turned into season 3.

I don't buy a lot of TV on Blu-Ray, but I'm thinking Fringe could be headed for my shelf soon.
Yeah that's what I was meaning by it found a great balance; the season didn't start perfect. Then it hit its stride and hasn't slowed down.
I don't have the season 2 set, but I'll likely get it one day. The season 1 set is spectacular. BD looks beautiful, tons of special features.

Let me in

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Agreed. She already went over the first time, by that fact alone, there's no way in hell he'd dispose of her.
If she's unwilling or "unable" to make the jump as an agent under his control, then her value drops considerably, whether he knows that she can do it or not. Even if he forces her over there, it won't matter if she won't enact his plans.

Anyway, for story purposes I know it's impossible for her to die, but the intention might be there.

big ander said:
If it means anything, I read Walternate's reaction just as "she failed this time, but we'll keep trying." I don't think he's suspicious yet.
You might be right. But remember, they've noticed the cortexiphan in her brain. They know something more significant happened in that tank. It'll be a cause for investigation.

(love this show!)

Ravidrath

Let me in said:
You might be right. But remember, they've noticed the cortexiphan in her brain. They know something more significant happened in that tank. It'll be a cause for investigation.

(love this show!)

Anyone else think it's strange that she has a physical presence on the other side, but apparently never actually leaves it? She was there for a while the second time.

Also, I suspect they won't be able to tame her, but they'll extract and replicate Cortexiphan (or some horrible variant of it) before she leaves.

...Didn't Bell originally bring Cortexiphan over from the other side, though? I was expecting them to know what it was when they detected it.

big ander

Let me in said:
If she's unwilling or "unable" to make the jump as an agent under his control, then her value drops considerably, whether he knows that she can do it or not. Even if he forces her over there, it won't matter if she won't enact his plans.

Anyway, for story purposes I know it's impossible for her to die, but the intention might be there.

(love this show!)
Right, but they don't know what the intention of the Cortexiphan was. All they knew was that something about Olivia made her able to travel between universes, and now they've determined it's some drug in the brain. They think she's plateaued and assumed Bolivia's personality, so they have no reason to suspect her of anything.
(I love this show too :D )
Ravidrath said:
Anyone else think it's strange that she has a physical presence on the other side, but apparently never actually leaves it? She was there for a while the second time.

Also, I suspect they won't be able to tame her, but they'll extract and replicate Cortexiphan (or some horrible variant of it) before she leaves.

...Didn't Bell originally bring Cortexiphan over from the other side, though? I was expecting them to know what it was when they detected it.
I was thinking about her trip too. Maybe she does it so fast that barely any time passes over there while she's here for a minute? Or maybe it's a sort of in-between state; ie she's not all the way back here.
And Bell and Walter made Cortexiphan on our side.

I don't understand how she was forced back to Earth 2. She's a native to Earth 1, and she traveled there basically with her own abilities... so why wouldn't she be able to keep herself there?

ThLunarian said:
I don't understand how she was forced back to Earth 2. She's a native to Earth 1, and she traveled there basically with her own abilities... so why wouldn't she be able to keep herself there?

I guess it will be explained as a limited form of travel, like an Astral Projection or something more sci-fish.

big ander

ThLunarian said:
Here's the way I see it:
In all cases when possible, the dual universes try to restore balance Whereas people like Peter has no means of returning to Over There after being brought Here, Olivia can be transported. So, it took a ton of energy to force the Cortexikids to Over There. When Bolivia went back instead of her, she restored balance. So when Olivia tries to go back now, she doesn't have the energy to resist the pull of the universes to tend towards equilibrium. She's going to need a more powerful mode of getting herself over there and staying.

Keyser Soze said:
I guess it will be explained as a limited form of travel, like an Astral Projection or something more sci-fish.
Whoa Astral has a whole phenomenon named after her?? Walter would be proud

Top Bottom