• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRINGE Season 3 |OT| Inexplicably renewed for a 4th season!

big ander

Short TV guide article, not really spoilery at all. Mainly wanted to mention it because I liked this quote for some reason.
"Walternate is who he is because had his son stolen from him," Torv adds. "So, he went, 'F--- this, I'm going to take a deep breath and I'm going to get my son back at any cost.' And that's essentially what's driving him. It's not actually a negative or a nasty drive."

ThLunarian said:
I don't understand how she was forced back to Earth 2. She's a native to Earth 1, and she traveled there basically with her own abilities... so why wouldn't she be able to keep herself there?

Probably because the writers have established that she now thinks of herself as "altliv" and Earth 2 as her actual home. She may be starting to allow 'old info' to resurface, but she hasn't made the full turn to her old self. Yet.

big ander

Zeitgeister said:
Probably because the writers have established that she now thinks of herself as "altliv" and Earth 2 as her actual home. She may be starting to allow 'old info' to resurface, but she hasn't made the full turn to her old self. Yet.
This could have something to do with it, but based on her reaction to talking to talking to Ella, she knows who she is.

Let me in

Teh Hamburglar said:
Hate Olivia episodes. ZZZZzzz
I don't mind them. In fact, I like the character a lot more than other people seem to ("boring"), especially when I look back and consider that she may have been written to seem that way, to be a little bit bland. The character gets more interesting the more you learn. And there's going to be a lot more to jump off of when the switch finally culminates in a confrontation.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I hope they eventually show what happens when they fail to quarantine a destabilized area in the Other Side. I'm guessing that micro black hole video was one such example, but I'm sure there have to be better.

big ander

DarthWoo said:
I hope they eventually show what happens when they fail to quarantine a destabilized area in the Other Side. I'm guessing that micro black hole video was one such example, but I'm sure there have to be better.
Wouldn't an unchecked destabilization result in the destruction of Over There?

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
big ander said:
Wouldn't an unchecked destabilization result in the destruction of Over There?

I was under the impression that there had to have been at least a couple that couldn't be stopped prior to Walternate inventing Amber.

big ander

DarthWoo said:
I was under the impression that there had to have been at least a couple that couldn't be stopped prior to Walternate inventing Amber.
I think even the footage of the micro black hole must have been ambered somehow. But you're right, I don't know. Maybe some black holes have been contained in other ways.

The ratings are better than any other scripted show fox has put in that timeslot in a long time, that doesn't mean they are great though. So it's definitely in danger of not coming back. There are suggestions that Fox may be fine with the ratings because they know they can't do much better, and are hoping that the fanbase just grows. In other words replacing it may not be worth it, even if Fringe's ratings are not so great for revenue.

VistraNorrez said:
The ratings are better than any other scripted show fox has put in that timeslot in a long time, that doesn't mean they are great though. So it's definitely in danger of not coming back. There are suggestions that Fox may be fine with the ratings because they know they can't do much better, and are hoping that the fanbase just grows. In other words replacing it may not be worth it, even if Fringe's ratings are not so great for revenue.

Also, they need to consider DVD/Blu-Ray sales + streaming on their website at this point. It's amazing how many other options people have for watching their favorite shows these days. Networks are finally coming around to the idea that people are watching these shows, just not where or when they would expect them to be.

ivysaur12

Banned
DoctorWho said:
Also, they need to consider DVD/Blu-Ray sales + streaming on their website at this point. It's amazing how many other options people have for watching their favorite shows these days. Networks are finally coming around to the idea that people are watching these shows, just not where or when they would expect them to be.

Fringe is produced by Warner Brothers, so DVD/Blu-Ray sales mean nothing.

DarthWoo said:
That actually reminded me of the second Fantastic Four movie for some reason.

A thought occured to me as I was watching this about the anomolies: So far we think they are caused by Walter moving between the two worlds, right? Imagine if these anomolies are actual attacks on that reality, but they're caused by a third, as yet unknown one. Maybe the first people, or whatever, trying to destroy that machine?

Not sure if this is even an original thought as there have been a lot of theories bounced in this thread and I may have appropriated it.

WB website has a lot of episode starting at 11 from Season 1 on their website to those that may have tuned in late like myself.

Here's a pretty amazing stat for those worried about Fringe's ratings

Network-StS-Week-7-2010-500x400.gif

That's a 20% ratings drop that Fox has as an entire network compared to this time last year. So on its own Fringe may look to be in bad shape, but compared to the entire network it might just be a part of the overall trend.

ivysaur12

Banned
Jay Shadow said:
Here's a pretty amazing stat for those worried about Fringe's ratings

Network-StS-Week-7-2010-500x400.gif

That's a 20% ratings drop that Fox has as an entire network compared to this time last year. So on its own Fringe may look to be in bad shape, but compared to the entire network it might just be a part of the overall trend.

It's still below Fox's average this season.

Normally, Fringe would appear to be fine. With the addition of X-Factor, however, things get really complicated.

EliCash

I watched the first 7 episodes or so of Fringe, thought it was decent but I stopped watching for whatever reason

I started watching season 3 the other week, missing out season 2 and the end of 1, which was fucking stupid. I'm 4 episodes in to 3 now though, do I stop and catch up or do I continue watching?

quaere

EliCash said:
I watched the first 7 episodes or so of Fringe, thought it was decent but I stopped watching for whatever reason

I started watching season 3 the other week, missing out season 2 and the end of 1, which was fucking stupid. I'm 4 episodes in to 3 now though, do I stop and catch up or do I continue watching?
You should watch the second half of S2 at least.

Zoe

EliCash said:

You've already started on this season, so you may as well continue. I do feel you should go back and watch what you missed though. There were some great episodes in there.

EliCash said:

Stop brah and catch up, there are some really great episodes and some meh ones but they are all worth it.

EliCash

Zoe said:
You've already started on this season, so you may as well continue. I do feel you should go back and watch what you missed though. There were some great episodes in there.

I'm definitely going to catch up at some point, not sure whether to do it now or just continue though. Or do both at the same time. This season seems pretty excellent, I've enjoyed the first 4 episodes anyway. Not sure what the general consensus is.

Someone give Jasika a nod for having to play two roles too.
Oh hell I guess I will.

edit: wow that shot of the bookstore was fantastic.

quaere

Not really the greatest episode. Just a lot more build up and the stand alone mystery sucked. They solved it by finding a component in the box that can magically be traced to an exact address? Really?

I think the writers knew it too, and had to flash over to the alt universe to come up with a suitably compelling cliffhanger.

The suddenly serialized nature of this show probably makes me impatient in a way that I wouldn't have been in previous seasons. Next week should be amazing though. Can't wait to find out how Walternate plans to dispose of Olivia.

Oh and if Fringe comes back next season, it's going to suck when Fox gives it the budget of Chuck. Say goodbye to any shots like the dig site tonight.

Top Bottom