• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRINGE Season 3 |OT| Inexplicably renewed for a 4th season!

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Okay episode. Its forgivable because its more of a setup episode. i figure the first people are the Observers but i guess thats the safe bet.

The other side seems pretty hell bent on destroying our world. Its a shame that Walter and Co made Cortexiphan kids and not Ephemerol kids to use as soldiers :lol

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Excellent episode this week. It had a big, cinematic feel. Especially with the big dig scene.

- Great to see Astrid actually DOING something. Is this the first time she has been truly instrumental to a case?

- If Olivia was TRYING to get them to discover the pieces, why wipe people's memories & put up roadblocks? I don't understand her motives. If the goal was for them to break the code and discover the pieces, she could have been nudging them in the right direction.

- Stupid that the "code" was lat/long coordinates. You mean after 5+ years of obsessive research, no one considered the fact that the numbers could be hiding simple coordinates? :lol

- Great to see First People finally acknowledged. Very excited to see how that thread develops.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
GDJustin said:
- If Olivia was TRYING to get them to discover the pieces, why wipe people's memories & put up roadblocks? I don't understand her motives. If the goal was for them to break the code and discover the pieces, she could have been nudging them in the right direction.
i think it was done to get Fringe Divisions attention.

GDJustin

water_wendi said:

A 2nd wipe was planned after Fringe Division was on the case. And the guy was said a third was "scheduled."

Plus if their intention was to get Fringe on the case of these number stations, creating a sound wave pulse to wipe the memory of people tracking the broadcasts is a pretty damn bizarre way of going about it.

ALSO, it was implied that the number boradcasts somehow came from the First People. So it's bizarre that Walternate has the tech to piggyback on the signal.

Shit don't make no sense!

Zoe

water_wendi said:

Yep, that's why she told the guy it wasn't necessary to continue.

GDJustin said:
A 2nd wipe was planned after Fringe Division was on the case. And the guy was said a third was "scheduled."

He didn't expect them to catch on so quickly. That's why he was like, "who are these people?!"

GDJustin said:
ALSO, it was implied that the number boradcasts somehow came from the First People. So it's bizarre that Walternate has the tech to piggyback on the signal.

Dunno if this is a spoiler since it was with the second season extras...
"First People" showing up on the other side's opening sequence was supposed to indicate that they already know about the First People.

Let me in

I liked it, but some parts were confusing me. Apparently these numbers are coming from some still-existing First People technology. If Walternate and co. knows this, why not just figure out the numbers and get the pieces themselves?

"Phase 1" we now know was to break the code. They can send shapeshifters over here at will, what do they need Bolivia for? To get it into Peter's hands so he puts it together and uses it?

Seems to me they could have broken the code long ago, got the pieces before they brought Peter back, had it ready to go and then got him to use it. Maybe I am missing something, it's late.

But I am _dying_ for them to get rid of Bolivia, it's gone on too long. Peter should have figured it out and so should Nina by now.

Zoe

Let me in said:
I liked it, but some parts were confusing me. Apparently these numbers are coming from some still-existing First People technology. If Walternate and co. knows this, why not just figure out the numbers and get the pieces themselves?

They don't want the pieces for themselves. They want Peter to find and assemble the machine.

Let me in

Zoe said:
They don't want the pieces for themselves. They want Peter to find and assemble the machine.
Let me in said:
Seems to me they could have broken the code long ago, got the pieces before they brought Peter back, had it ready to go and then got him to use it.

As I said, why now? What's the prerequisite, if they have all this info they could have had the pieces a long time ago BEFORE they brought Peter to the other side. The machine would have been complete and ready for him to use.

Maybe it's as simple as using our Fringe team to do their dirty work.

GDJustin

Zoe said:
He didn't expect them to catch on so quickly. That's why he was like, "who are these people?!"

No, he said "who are these people?" when he learned Fringe Division was on to HIM so quickly, via the replaced transistor.

Just accept that Bolivia's motivation in this episode makes no sense. It's the truth :lol

Think about the timeline. If the induced amnesia was truly just to say "Yo Fringe Division... check out these numbers!" then that was very accomplished before the 2nd broadcast. (and it's still a stupid way to get their attention, done solely so there is a mystery for viewers. Notice how it's dropped like a bad habit in the final ~20 minutes. Did they get their memory back? Who knows?!? Who cares?!?).

And if Olivia's intention was to get them to crack the code, once Walter was 100% stumped it seems she would have dropped a hint of her own.

bathala

Banned
since this reminded me of Lost numbers

I googled and youtubed number station. the mystery made me appreciate the episode more.

good set up episode. Next episode will be great

ivysaur12

Banned
As everyone has pointed out, this was a set-up for things to come. Obviously the first people will be of huge importance to the mythology. Let's just hope the show lasts long enough to see it through.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Let me in said:
As I said, why now? What's the prerequisite, if they have all this info they could have had the pieces a long time ago BEFORE they brought Peter to the other side. The machine would have been complete and ready for him to use.

Maybe it's as simple as using our Fringe team to do their dirty work.
That, and it might be hard for a small crew of Other Siders to fly around the world conducting 38 excavations without attracting all kinds of attention and problems. Seems like it would have been hard for them to do what was done at the end of the episode, for instance.

Shouldn't geographical coordinates be worthless after millions of years (continents drifting etc.)?
Especially as the zero-longitude was chosen arbitrarily by us.

I guess they somehow based everything on our (current) state of the earth because they can also use our languages to speak out the numbers and created the machine to match Peter's DNA?

I wonder if the other universe needs some parts of the machine because they are destroyed or not accessible in their world or if you need to operate the machine in the same universe you want to destroy.

edit:
cool thing that these number stations actually exist

jax (old)

Banned
episdoe undewhlemed me. The number code thing and then lead up to the discovery wasn't very exciting and then they unearthed 1 part of 37 bits. Felt a bit fillery.

and MD woman looked @ olivia funny and STILL went to talk to walter.

:S

gross underusage of Alias tech guy. AT LEAST GIVE THE GUY A STORY ARC!

I just read on another forum that Seamus Wiles is an anagram for Samuel Weiss, the owner of the bowling alley that helped Olivia with her trauma

ultron87

So Peter is somehow descended from the First People, presumably?

Either that or they built a machine that would only function for some random guy in the future.

ultron87 said:

Either that or they built a machine that would only function for some random guy in the future.

He has the ancient gene [/stargate]

:lol

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
bathala said:
since this reminded me of Lost numbers

I googled and youtubed number station. the mystery made me appreciate the episode more.

good set up episode. Next episode will be great

I had remembered the UVB-76 station from the creepy unsolved/paranormal/strange events thread, so I was thinking of that during this episode. Apparently there have been quite a few messages on UVB-76 this year outside of the usual buzzer.

DieH@rd

Banned
ultron87 said:

If they know about peter, if they've know what langueges we will use today [transmissions used few of them] then they know what type of coordinates we will use.

ivysaur12

Banned
Dan said:
That, and it might be hard for a small crew of Other Siders to fly around the world conducting 38 excavations without attracting all kinds of attention and problems. Seems like it would have been hard for them to do what was done at the end of the episode, for instance.

Yup.

The mind-wiping might have been just to get the attention of the Fringe team, too.

ivysaur12

Banned
GDJustin said:
Is it time to start a save fringe campaign?

It was time 3 weeks ago.

Can they put a Subway in Massive Dynamic?

EDIT: Last night's glyph code was "DECAY". Interesting. I've also completely forgot about the Observer and the previous episode hints. There's so much in this show :lol

EDIT 2: Speaking of anagrams, remember that in Over There, Part 2, Walter's chalkboard had "A DEMONS TWIST RUSTS" on it. It's an anagram for "DONT TRUST SAM WEISS". Sam has also said that he's "older than he looks", "barely remembers his childhood" and is "taller than he appears". He's definitely one of the First People, but why aren't we supposed to trust him? And why did he write the book? Does he want Peter to make the machine?

gdt

This is all getting really, really cool. That bowling alley dude better be worth something goddammit.

Excellent episode.

gdt

Also, this episode FINALLY confirms that Altlivia is highly hesitant about her mission. "Cold and Calculating" my ass.

Solo

gdt5016 said:
Also, this episode FINALLY confirms that Altlivia is highly hesitant about her mission. "Cold and Calculating" my ass.

Haven't seen the ep yet, but everything up to it lands directly under "cold and calculating".

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
ivysaur12 said:
It was time 3 weeks ago.

Can they put a Subway in Massive Dynamic?

EDIT: Last night's glyph code was "DECAY". Interesting. I've also completely forgot about the Observer and the previous episode hints. There's so much in this show :lol

EDIT 2: Speaking of anagrams, remember that in Over There, Part 2, Walter's chalkboard had "A DEMONS TWIST RUSTS" on it. It's an anagram for "DONT TRUST SAM WEISS". Sam has also said that he's "older than he looks", "barely remembers his childhood" and is "taller than he appears". He's definitely one of the First People, but why aren't we supposed to trust him? And why did he write the book? Does he want Peter to make the machine?

when is Sam coming back, he has been in 2-3 episodes.

ultron87 said:

Peter is a First People. They used to have an angle in early in season1 where people was an ultra genius and such. On an a lighter note, I guess the people from his past are no longer after him. :lol

Just caught this a while ago. Like others said, was not a great episode, but I am sure future episode will build of the elements introduced here.

Also, What the hell is the fascination with Number Stations right now, first COD: Black Ops and now Fringe. I never even heard of them until this week, and now I am been flooded with info about them.

Zoe

Keyser Soze said:
Also, What the hell is the fascination with Number Stations right now, first COD: Black Ops and now Fringe. I never even heard of them until this week, and now I am been flooded with info about them.

It was in Covert Affairs over the summer.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Well I loved the episode, it was pretty much pure mythology. We got our first real info on First People, Peter now has the pieces to the machine, and Altlivia is clearly having second thoughts. This might have been my favorite episode of the season actually.

I wonder why we haven't seen Altlivia meeting Olivia's niece, yet. She is dead in Altlivia's universe so this should have quite an impact on her.

jax (old)

Banned
Solo said:
Haven't seen the ep yet, but everything up to it lands directly under "cold and calculating".

I'd agree with this. Within 5 minutes, tech guy was flying out the window and she was faux shocked.

MrDenny said:
Fringe is nominated for Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy Show at the People's Choice Awards!
Don't let fringe lose to vampire diaries or true blood.
Site says vote as often as you like :)

http://www.peopleschoice.com/pca/vote/votenow.jsp

true blood had a killer season that fizzled near the end but it will/should win.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I don't know if olivia is actually falling for peter and the people of this world but more so that she is noticing peter won't choose one world over the other. Her question at the end sort of cements that. His little speech about there having to be another way seemed to make her agree, neither world needs to die.

Loving this season so far. I can't wait to see what happens with the rest of the season, so so fucking good.

Zoe

SolidusDave said:
I wonder why we haven't seen Altlivia meeting Olivia's niece, yet. She is dead in Altlivia's universe so this should have quite an impact on her.

They moved to Chicago.

Solo

Another great episode. Sheiitttt, this is fast becoming one of the best seasons of TV I can remember. Love the whole concept of number stations and what this episode did with them. I really love how the doomsday device is being tied in with the First People. This show is weaving the mythology together in such incredible and exciting ways. Also, the writing for Walter/John Noble's performance was on fire in this one ("I spent hours ripped out of my gourd listening to Beatles albums backwards for hidden messages…They weren’t there" :lol "May I borrow that…I feel a bowel movement coming on" :lol). Season is 6/6 now, and its so good that I'm honestly a bit worried about what will happen when everything is back to relatively status quo, because things have worked out so well with the two universes swapping back and forth.

Solo

gdt5016 said:

After seeing it, I still have no idea how you are reading her character like you are. This episode showed just how cold and calculating she was, when she killed the shapeshifter to preserve her cover and keep the mission objectives alive.

McLovin

GDJustin said:
Excellent episode this week. It had a big, cinematic feel. Especially with the big dig scene.

- Great to see Astrid actually DOING something. Is this the first time she has been truly instrumental to a case?

- Stupid that the "code" was lat/long coordinates. You mean after 5+ years of obsessive research, no one considered the fact that the numbers could be hiding simple coordinates? :lol

- Great to see First People finally acknowledged. Very excited to see how that thread develops.
Most people didn't have that book or the calendar so that kind of explains that.

Top Bottom