• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRINGE Season 3 |OT| Inexplicably renewed for a 4th season!

gdt

Solo said:
After seeing it, I still have no idea how you are reading her character like you are. This episode showed just how cold and calculating she was, when she killed the shapeshifter to preserve her cover and keep the mission objectives alive.

I read it as she killed the shapeshifter so he wouldn't complete his mission. Keeping more innocents safe.

It sort of doubles for your point, as well.

AnkitT

Final caught up, and really love this season so far! Cant wait for the rest of it, the mythology is building up quite nicely.

gdt

It's a little early to call this season attaining a "best season ever" status, but we're getting there. Let's keep this ball rolling, Fringe writers!

big ander

Fantastic episode this week. The show hasn't had a false step this season. I know everyone's saying it was set-up adding mystery, but I disagree.
We already knew the machine was something unnatural, and we knew First People would become involved. This just started the ball rolling on that huge mythological arc, while taking the inter-universe arc farther, WHILE giving us an awesome MOTW.

“If I’d known you were coming, I’d have baked a cake.”
“He means that. Literally.”
:lol :lol

ivysaur12

Banned
gdt5016 said:
It's a little early to call this season attaining a "best season ever" status, but we're getting there. Let's keep this ball rolling, Fringe writers!

At this point in each season, Season 3 >>>> Season 2 >> Season 1.

So I finally got caught up with this show over the past month or so. I watched S1 a while back, but by the time I did, S2 was already over, so I figured I'd just wait for the Blu-ray release.

I probably enjoyed the show more than most in the beginning (and I'm kicking myself for not watching from the start) because I'm a hopeless sucker for sci-fi. The monster-of-the-week stuff always entertained me enough to keep watching. But like anyone else, I found that the really interesting stuff was in the mythology episodes. The one exception to this rule is "White Tulip", which is the one of the greatest hours of television I've ever seen.

But "White Tulip" is part of the "second-half of S2+S3" god mode the show seems to be in. The alternate universe and shapeshifter and Fauxlivia stuff has all been handled masterfully. Seriously, alternate universe shit is so. fucking. cool. (I blame watching Sliders as a kid for this affinity.) I really hope they have this first people stuff thought out, though.

Just wanted to announce that I'll be in here from now on. Glad to be here. :D

CajoleJuice said:
So I finally got caught up with this show over the past month or so. I watched S1 a while back, but by the time I did, S2 was already over, so I figured I'd just wait for the Blu-ray release.

I probably enjoyed the show more than most in the beginning (and I'm kicking myself for not watching from the start) because I'm a hopeless sucker for sci-fi. The monster-of-the-week stuff always entertained me enough to keep watching. But like anyone else, I found that the really interesting stuff was in the mythology episodes. The one exception to this rule is "White Tulip", which is the one of the greatest hours of television I've ever seen.

But "White Tulip" is part of the "second-half of S2+S3" god mode the show seems to be in. The alternate universe and shapeshifter and Fauxlivia stuff has all been handled masterfully. Seriously, alternate universe shit is so. fucking. cool. (I blame watching Sliders as a kid for this affinity.) I really hope they have this first people stuff thought out, though.

Just wanted to announce that I'll be in here from now on. Glad to be here. :D
Welcome to the club. But yes, "White Tulip" was an ungodly awesome episode.

Solo

ivysaur12 said:
At this point in each season, Season 3 >>>> Season 2 >> Season 1.

Season 1 was better than Season 2 at this point in time. Just sayin'. Not that it matters, because at the 6 episode mark, Season 3 has ripped both their heads off and shit down their necks.

Season is on pace to reach "favorite seasons of television ever" status for me, which would place it with Mad Men S3, Veronica Mars S1, Chuck S2, Deadwood S1, and FNL S3.

Solo said:
Season 1 was better than Season 2 at this point in time. Just sayin'. Not that it matters, because at the 6 episode mark, Season 3 has ripped both their heads off and shit down their necks.

Season is on pace to reach "favorite seasons of television ever" status for me, which would place it with Mad Men S3, Veronica Mars S1, Chuck S2, Deadwood S1, and FNL S3.
Yeah, it's slowly climbing the charts for me as well.

For comparison:
Veronica Mars S1
Chuck S2
Angel S5
Buffy S3
Doctor Who 2011 (S5)
Life on Mars S2

Yaweee

Solo said:

Six episodes in to S1, the only episode I liked was The Arrival. S2 had New Day in The Old Town, Fracture, and Momentum Deferred. Not all great episodes, but it is a better hit:miss ratio than S1.

Yaweee said:
Six episodes in to S1, the only episode I liked was The Arrival. S2 had New Day in The Old Town, Fracture, and Momentum Deferred. Not all great episodes, but it is a better hit:miss ratio than S1.
I was bored to tears midway through S2 and almost gave up on the show. S1 is a strange base because those early episodes feel like a completely different show. It's hard for me to compare to the rest of the series.

Solo

Yaweee said:

S2 was bad the first few episodes. Missteps like Jessop, etc. I can't say that about S1, the worst of which I could say was too MOTY focused and still finding its feet. S2 doesn't have that excuse - the characters and mythology were in place and yet it still stumbled awfully. Like DoctorWho, about 6-7 episodes into S2, I was perilously close to giving up on the show. Thank christ I stuck it out or I would have missed one of the best runs of a network television show ever.

Don't get me wrong, S2 as a WHOLE > S1, but the front end of S1 is definitely better.

Yaweee

DoctorWho said:
I was bored to tears midway through S2 and almost gave up on the show. S1 is a strange base because those early episodes feel like a completely different show. It's hard for me to compare to the rest of the series.

August and Grey Matters (which were both before Christmas) are two of my favorite episodes.

I actually did give up during S1, until I heard that it got better.

And I don't know if anybody listed this yet, but they revealed the Title and Date for episode 8.

December 2nd (one week off for TDay)
"
Entrada
"

Solo

By my count, we're 15 episodes into this streak of greatness:

2.15 Jacksonville
2.16 Peter
2.17 Olivia. In The Lab. With The Revolver.
2.18 White Tulip
2.19 The Man From The Other Side
2.20 Brown Betty*
2.21 Northwest Passage
2.22 Over There: Part I
2.23 Over There: Part II
3.01 Olivia
3.02 The Box
3.03 The Plateau
3.04 Do Shapeshifters Dream Of Electric Sheep?
3.05 Amber 31422
3.06 6955 kHz

* I understand that this one is far from unanimous and that lots hated it (although I enjoyed it), but it would destroy the run to take it out, so I'm leaving it in.

My favorite episode of the series.

EDIT: fixed for Solo confusion over which episode was the musical.

Sqorgar

Banned
Solo said:
By my count, we're 15 episodes into this streak of greatness:
2.20 Brown Betty
Brown Betty was horrible. Peter has a huge revelation that threatens to destroy the foundation of his relationship with Walter and... the next episode is a fantasy musical? At least when they pulled the rug out from under Cartman's Mom, the Terrance & Philip episode was a funny middle finger to the audience.

big ander

Brown Betty was rough to deal with when we were begging for more story week-to-week, but the actual episode was a ton of fun and a perfect pacing break for the season.

I'd argue the perfect run started one episode earlier, with The Bishop Revival. That was an excellent MOTW.

Press release for 3x08
Entrada
:
LIVES AND WORLDS ARE IN JEOPARDY ON AN ALL-NEW “FRINGE”

THURSDAY, DECEMBER 2, ON FOX

Peter grapples with the aftermath of recent events as Olivia desperately searches for an ally. Meanwhile, the Fringe Team discovers a critical device that communicates between universes in the all-new “Entrada” episode of FRINGE airing Thursday, Dec. 2 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (FR-308) (TV-14 D, S, V)

Cast: Anna Torv as Olivia Dunham; Joshua Jackson as Peter Bishop; John Noble as Walter Bishop; Lance Reddick as Phillip Broyles; Blair Brown as Nina Sharp; Jasika Nicole as Astrid Farnsworth

Guest Cast: Ryan James McDonald as Alternate Brandon; Karen Holness as Diane Broyles; Luke Camilleri as Luke; Seth Gabel as Lincoln Lee

So from the
description of the episode and the guest cast list, it looks like 3x07, this week, is when Ourlivia makes it back and everything kicks into an even higher gear. :D

big ander

Teh Hamburglar said:
I wasn't evaluating its implications to the network. I would like to see Fringe on Turkey day dammit!
Knowing Fringe, there'd be a 50/50 chance of you regurgitating all of your delicious turkey and cranberry sauce and gravy and potatoes.

I've been thinking about this for a while, and it still somehow blows my mind. In Season 1, Walter said that the choices we make and the choices we DO NOT make opens up new worlds of possibilities, thereby making new universes. There are billions of people in the world, each of them with the power of making decisions that can either be consequential or inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. So for every one new decision made by a person, a new universe is created. And so within our universe, there's a new one made? So just how many fucking universes are there? I know the answer, but still. It blows my mind that the episodes they're showing us are but one string/thread of choices leading to this narrative. Somewhere along the Fringe eps, we've watched, Olivia "remembering" the Oxygen protocol during that chase scene with the ballpoint dude could've made Fringe an entirely different show. Ugh.

big ander

Larson Conway said:
I've been thinking about this for a while, and it still somehow blows my mind. In Season 1, Walter said that the choices we make and the choices we DO NOT make opens up new worlds of possibilities, thereby making new universes. There are billions of people in the world, each of them with the power of making decisions that can either be consequential or inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. So for every one new decision made by a person, a new universe is created. And so within our universe, there's a new one made? So just how many fucking universes are there? I know the answer, but still. It blows my mind that the episodes they're showing us are but one string/thread of choices leading to this narrative. Somewhere along the Fringe eps, we've watched, Olivia "remembering" the Oxygen protocol during that chase scene with the ballpoint dude could've made Fringe an entirely different show. Ugh.
Yeah, alternate universes in ANY sci-fi series will seriously screw with your head :D

I'm really glad that the show chose to focus on this specific AU though. It's just as tightly woven without any clutter. Theoretically, I'm sure they could find other universes, but science probably dictates that these two had the highest chance of colliding for whatever reason. And I think that's infinitely cooler than universe jumping.

Solo

Sometimes I wish I weren't so damned Canadian w/ hockey in my DNA and a need to watch every Montreal game. In other words, I'll be watching this tomorrow :( Should be fucking awesome though, like always.

I've been keeping out of this thread to avoid spoilers as we get the shows a few days after you guys here in the UK.

Just wanted to say that this might one the greatest hikes in improvement I've witnessed in a TV show. This is fucking miles better than the first 2 seasons. So very impressed right now.

Solo said:
Sometimes I wish I weren't so damned Canadian w/ hockey in my DNA and a need to watch every Montreal game. In other words, I'll be watching this tomorrow :( Should be fucking awesome though, like always.
It's ok, I'm like this with Mets games. Although, I guess the equivalent would be if you were a Maple Leafs fan.

HeySeuss

This episode isn't bad, but the episodes plot seems like it's getting in the way of the main story. I want her to make a break for it.

Lol Peter. You've been trolled by another universe.

Edit: Might have been the weakest of the season but it was still pretty damn good. The ending was fantastic!

Top Bottom