• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRINGE Season 3 |OT| Inexplicably renewed for a 4th season!

Yaweee

Like others have said, weakest 'A' plot and episode of the season, even if the last 15 minutes were awesome.

EDIT:
And to agree with the below partially, yes, Torv did a very good job in this episode.

quaere

I'm going to go against the grain and say this might be my favorite so far. The dynamic of our Olivia finally back and working in the alt universe was great, as was that the mystery was personal for alt Broyles. I like how even if you hadn't seen the last episode, you could see the personality shift to regular Olivia. Nice work by Torv.

ivysaur12

Banned
Yaweee said:
Like others have said, weakest 'A' plot and episode of the season, even if the last 15 minutes were awesome.

Yup.

HOWEVER, I don't think any other episode thus far has humanized the other side as well as this one did. Gaining alt-Broyle's trust and making the audience empathetic to the other side will ultimately be important for the series in the long run.

HeySeuss

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that Broyles will do the right thing and help her cross back over. Man 2 weeks is going to be a killer.

TripOpt55

Great episode. Thought it was pretty cool the case had to do with Alt-Broyles. Ending was awesome. Man I love this show. The week off will be rough.

ivysaur12

Banned
Shick Brithouse said:
I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that Broyles will do the right thing and help her cross back over. Man 2 weeks is going to be a killer.

Yup, that's definitely what will happen. And I'm sure Olivia will be the one to stop the destruction of the other world, even if it's easier.

Let me in

aswedc said:
I'm going to go against the grain and say this might be my favorite so far. The dynamic of our Olivia finally back and working in the alt universe was great, as was that the mystery was personal for alt Broyles. I like how even if you hadn't seen the last episode, you could see the personality shift to regular Olivia. Nice work by Torv.
I'll second this post, even though they're stretching Olivia's return to the breaking point. It was a really good episode for me. The "A" plot was fluff, but I enjoyed seeing "our" Olivia peek through.

Zoe

I just saw on Fringepedia that the second set of comics have all been released. Anybody happen to read them yet?

Edit: And I was there cause I wanted to look up Broyle's family... completely forget there was a season 2 episode about him.

Zoe said:
I just saw on Fringepedia that the second set of comics have all been released. Anybody happen to read them yet?

Edit: And I was there cause I wanted to look up Broyle's family... completely forget there was a season 2 episode about him.

IIRC he's divorced on a side right?

Mike M

Nick N
I just noticed the gigantic earrings that a lot of the guys are wearing on the other side. I'm sure they've been there the whole time and I've been completely oblivious to their presence, but near as I can tell they're all the same earring. Wonder what that's about...

Zoe

Mike M said:
I just noticed the gigantic earrings that a lot of the guys are wearing on the other side. I'm sure they've been there the whole time and I've been completely oblivious to their presence, but near as I can tell they're all the same earring. Wonder what that's about...

They're not earrings, they're phones. Olivia has one too.

Edit: Ugh, I REALLY need to rewatch season 2. I didn't realize the senator had appeared before >_<

MrDenny

Episode was awesome, can't wait for episode 8.
Fringe has become my # 1 favorite show.

Olivia so cute :)

358tdev.jpg
30a6e82.jpg

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Has the observer been showing up in episodes? I've long since stopped looking, but I don't even hear about him being spotted anymore.

Zoe said:
Loved the blatant Android screen at the end, BTW :lol
I don't mind this stuff. I have no problem seeing logos if it means getting UIs that look real. Every time we see a phone's screen on Dexter it's a giant blue screen with the caller's name in generic white text. It's atrocious.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Man... things are gonna be complicated as fuck when the universes finally collide. Evil Olivia is having 2nd thoughts about going through with her plan. Our Olivia has won over alt-Broyles. Charlie only exists in the alt-world. Etc.

My guess? Season 3 will continue to be our universe vs. theirs. Season 4 will be the two Fringe teams forced to team up against some common threat (First people saying "fuck this" and deciding to come back and take out both worlds?). In a climactic season-ending episode, one of the two Olivias and the other dupe. characters will be killed off, once again leaving a single whole Fringe team. The team will be comprised of mostly the duplicates from our side, with maybe 1-2 from the other to spice things up (maybe alt-broyals). Plus we get Charlie back, and maybe the alt-world's hip Fringe agent too, if they're feeling generous.

Flare

Caught up a couple weeks ago and from what I've seen, this season is amazing TV compared to the last two. It's had close to a perfect run so far. The pacing is godly.

As for this episode, I didn't mind the fluff much. It was good to see a little of Broyles past on that side. The ending was the best part, and Torv did an excellent job all around.

Tokubetsu

Had X-Files flashbacks this ep. There's an episode in one of the first few seasons that deals with an albino stealing peoples pituitary glands to control his pigment or something like that.

big ander

Fantastic episode. The cliffhanger was nearly good enough for me to want to abolish the wonderful day of turkey and gravy and pumpkin pie and sweet potatoes and football.
Nearly.
I really enjoyed the a-plot, and maybe it's just a 5am look at it but I though Chris Broyles was very well acted. And any episode that focuses on Broyles is welcome; he's a cool character that too often gets pushed to the side so he can just be the guy to say "oh you found this? well do this. Go!"
You just know Olivia getting captured is going to bring Henry back into this. In fact, I could see him dying :(

Tokubetsu said:
Had X-Files flashbacks this ep. There's an episode in one of the first few seasons that deals with an albino stealing peoples pituitary glands to control his pigment or something like that.
I think it was the second episode of the series actually, with the super quick growing baby and the man that fathered him.

squicken

GDJustin said:
Man... things are gonna be complicated as fuck when the universes finally collide. Evil Olivia is having 2nd thoughts about going through with her plan. Our Olivia has won over alt-Broyles. Charlie only exists in the alt-world. Etc.

My guess? Season 3 will continue to be our universe vs. theirs. Season 4 will be the two Fringe teams forced to team up against some common threat (First people saying "fuck this" and deciding to come back and take out both worlds?). In a climactic season-ending episode, one of the two Olivias and the other dupe. characters will be killed off, once again leaving a single whole Fringe team. The team will be comprised of mostly the duplicates from our side, with maybe 1-2 from the other to spice things up (maybe alt-broyals). Plus we get Charlie back, and maybe the alt-world's hip Fringe agent too, if they're feeling generous.

Don't forget the attraction Olivia and Peter felt will be complicated by Peter boning faux-Olivia. "If you really loved me, you would have noticed the difference!" Will they? Won't they?

If the Fringe teams teamed up, then that would mean double filming (or extra green screen time) for every scene that had two versions of each character. That is more money and more time to be put into filming each episode, so I cannot see that happening.

Single episodes a season would be fine, but a whole season of that would kill the show in my opinion

Keyser Soze said:
If the Fringe teams teamed up, then that would mean double filming (or extra green screen time) for every scene that had two versions of each character. That is more money and more time to be put into filming each episode, so I cannot see that happening.

Single episodes a season would be fine, but a whole season of that would kill the show in my opinion

Well, there wouldn't be that much double work. I'm sure if they merged the two teams we wouldn't see alt-Broyles or alt-olivia as part of the group.

Jerk

Banned
squicken said:
Don't forget the attraction Olivia and Peter felt will be complicated by Peter boning faux-Olivia. "If you really loved me, you would have noticed the difference!" Will they? Won't they?

Alt-Astrid please (I would no mind if she were a bit less cold though.)

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
There was another "Olivia Smiles" moment. She's talking to alt-Broyles about his son and its obviously a touchy subject but she's doing that goofy Olivia grin even though Broyles is obviously angry that she would even bring up the subject.

squicken

BlueTsunami said:
There was another "Olivia Smiles" moment. She's talking to alt-Broyles about his son and its obviously a touchy subject but she's doing that goofy Olivia grin even though Broyles is obviously angry that she would even bring up the subject.

Yeah I don't see how anyone can ever say "Anna Torv gave a great performance this week" unless they are using some sort of curve.

I still don't get why she can't cross over permanently. If it's the universes balancing themselves, then this process took way longer in the past episodes and it were not the same objects bouncing back.

I wonder if they will have to send both Olivias back to their respective universe at the same time :p

.GqueB.

Banned
squicken said:
Wont I hope. I hate when shows do this. Two attractive people that work together have to fall in love and fuck eventually. I dont watch bones but theyre about to do the same thing on that show which eliminates any desire I had to maybe give it a try.

I like the old olivia where you kind of assumed she was a lesbo. Blunt, straight to the point. This Olivia/Peter thing feels so unnatural. Moreso with the real Olivia.

quaere

big ander said:
I think it was the second episode of the series actually, with the super quick growing baby and the man that fathered him.
Yep, second episode of S1.

I would have been disappointed at them recycling stories except they tied this one in so that it was a reason only our Olivia could solve the case. Turned it from lazy writing to a nice reference.

Zoe

.GqueB. said:
I like the old olivia where you kind of assumed she was a lesbo. Blunt, straight to the point. This Olivia/Peter thing feels so unnatural. Moreso with the real Olivia.

Did you forget about her time with John? She was practically giggly in the beginning.

.GqueB.

Banned
Zoe said:
Did you forget about her time with John? She was practically giggly in the beginning.
I honestly dont. This show is good at making me forget things. Like the shady past that Peter had that was such a big thing in season 1. At least they seem to WANT me to forget that.

All in all I just dont feel the Peter/Olivia relationship is believable. Very forced. Id be more convinced if he was banging Astrid.

Or the woman from massive dynamic.

That episode was ridiculously awesome. I loved the scene in which Broyles' son was hiding from the kidnapper. The music was perfect and I love the way it was shot. I wasn't expecting that Olivia didn't stay in our world, as soon as she arrived, I was thinking "thank God that's over now" but apparently not. I can't wait for the next episode, pity it's going to be 2 weeks. :[

Zoe

She also had that almost-one-night stand with the guy in Germany.

.GqueB. said:
I honestly dont. This show is good at making me forget things. Like the shady past that Peter had that was such a big thing in season 1. At least they seem to WANT me to forget that.

They brought it up in the recent set of comics, so they may bring it back to the show. Likely though it's a casualty of speeding up the storyline by two seasons.

ivysaur12

Banned
Zoe said:
She also had that almost-one-night stand with the guy in Germany.

They brought it up in the recent set of comics, so they may bring it back to the show. Likely though it's a casualty of speeding up the storyline by two seasons.

Hmm? Explain.

And are the comics any good?

Yaweee

ivysaur12 said:
Hmm? Explain.

They've made numerous remarks that they are revealing major mythology things faster than originally intended.

We weren't supposed to see "over there" until the second season, but instead they revealed it during S1.

"First People", was supposed to be a hint for something way down the line, but instead was revealed 5 episodes later.

With how fast the story has been moving recently, they could conceivably be aiming to end it in S4, or even S3 if they know they're going to get cancelled.

Zoe

ivysaur12 said:
Hmm? Explain.

There was an interview a while ago where the producers said they decided to speed up the story (cut the fat) because of the vibe they were getting from fans. I believe they weren't even going to fully introduce the alternate universe concept until season 3.

I haven't read any of the comics, but you can read the synopses on Fringepedia.

Edit: Here it is

http://blastr.com/2009/08/producers-tease-fringe-se.php
The Fringe writers said that they are ahead of their original schedule. Co-creator, writer and executive producer Alex Kurtzman said that fan feedback showed that the audience would be receptive to going Over There after only a year.

"We never intended to reveal the parallel universe until season three," Kurtzman said during the press conference. "It became very clear they were open and ready for more, so it felt like, why stall it? Let's throw down this challenge to ourselves where we have to come up with a way to take the stories even further."

ivysaur12

Banned
Zoe said:
There was an interview a while ago where the producers said they decided to speed up the story (cut the fat) because of the vibe they were getting from fans. I believe they weren't even going to fully introduce the alternate universe concept until season 3.

I haven't read any of the comics, but you can read the synopses on Fringepedia.

Edit: Here it is

http://blastr.com/2009/08/producers-tease-fringe-se.php

Interesting. That makes sense, and explains how many of the plot points from early in season 1 were just abandoned.

It also makes me wonder... how many really interesting plot points were planned for seasons in the future and we never got to see them because the show was canceled prematurely?

Top Bottom