• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRINGE Season 3 |OT| Inexplicably renewed for a 4th season!

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
The most bizarre thing to happen on Fringe is introducing and then IMMEDIATELY ignoring that religious FBI agent in the Season 2 premier. She literally never made another appearance :lol

It's just so weird! By the time the episode aired on TV, the next several episodes would have already been in the can, or at least far into the production/writing process. So by the time it aired they already knew they weren't bringing that character back for at least several weeks.

Maybe they had already decided not to use her at all, but she was too intertwined with that episode to remove her. And rather than halfheartedly include her for half the season and kill her off, the writers didn't bother. :lol

ivysaur12

Banned
GDJustin said:
The most bizarre thing to happen on Fringe is introducing and then IMMEDIATELY ignoring that religious FBI agent in the Season 2 premier. She literally never made another appearance :lol

It's just so weird! By the time the episode aired on TV, the next several episodes would have already been in the can, or at least far into the production/writing process. So by the time it aired they already knew they weren't bringing that character back for at least several weeks.

Maybe they had already decided not to use her at all, but she was too intertwined with that episode to remove her. And rather than halfheartedly include her for half the season and kill her off, the writers didn't bother. :lol

Oh yeah, her :lol

Maybe she's actually a First Person and the key to everything?!

Solo

GDJustin said:

Pretty sure Jessop was in 2 episodes, but I could be wrong. But yes, dropping her was fantastic.

GDJustin

Solo said:
Pretty sure Jessop was in 2 episodes, but I could be wrong. But yes, dropping her was fantastic.

Yeah the Fringe wiki says she was in 2 episodes. It's still super weird.

big ander

Fringe continues to squander the lead-in support with a fourth-place 3.6/ 5 at 9 p.m. Comparably, that put the overnight retention for Fringe out of Bones of only 55 percent. Three-year-old Fringe, regardless, is expected to return next season because it needs another batch of original episodes for off-network syndication."
Source is spoilertv via fringetelevision, cant grab links quickly on my phone :p

Yaweee

big ander said:
Source is spoilertv via fringetelevision, cant grab links quickly on my phone :p

Site doesn't know what it is talking about.

- Total viewers don't really matter for renewal, only the demographic matters, which is less of a loss % from Bones.

- Syndication very likely means shit for renewal, as FOX doesn't own the show and makes nothing from syndication. WB could discount the show, but who knows how likely that is.

.GqueB.

Banned
Yaweee said:
They've made numerous remarks that they are revealing major mythology things faster than originally intended.

We weren't supposed to see "over there" until the second season, but instead they revealed it during S1.

"First People", was supposed to be a hint for something way down the line, but instead was revealed 5 episodes later.

With how fast the story has been moving recently, they could conceivably be aiming to end it in S4, or even S3 if they know they're going to get cancelled.
Im glad theyre doing it this way. I dont feel the storyline outside of the mythology is strong enough to sustain the show imo. Its feels so dead and pointless when they arent addressing mythology. Almost to the point where you forget this show is actually about anything.

...except in cases like White tulip which was amazing.

I hate to make this comparison but when LOST wasnt dealing with the mythology, the core characters and story were strong enough to exist on its on. Im generally bored with this show when Walter or Olivia (sometimes) arent on screen. So I feel theyre on the right track.

ivysaur12

Banned
Yaweee said:

- Total viewers don't really matter for renewal, only the demographic matters, which is less of a loss % from Bones.

- Syndication very likely means shit for renewal, as FOX doesn't own the show and makes nothing from syndication. WB could discount the show, but who knows how likely that is.

Second part is likely, but how much and if it means anything remains to be seen. WB makes a killing off of DVD sales for Fringe.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
This episode was a nod to an infamous X-Files villain from "Squeeze" and "Tooms". They both stole organs/vitality from others to keep themselves youthful and the names are pretty similar (Tooms and Toomee). They also have similar MO's, although obviously the Fringe guy can't squeeze into the same tight spots Tooms can.

big ander

Yaweee said:

Figured it was likely bogus but I thought I'd post it before class :D

I think Lost is a fine comparison because both shows, over time, HAVE made me love characters. I think Peter, Olivia, Walter, Nina, Broyles, and hell Astrid are awesome. Even MOTW eps with them are spectacular when done right.

ollin

Not sure if it has been mentioned. I haven't watched the latest episode to check on the posts.

Fridays, beginning Jan. 28:

8:00-9:00 PM KITCHEN NIGHTMARES (All-New Episodes)

9:00-10:00 PM FRINGE (Time Period Premiere)

A big F you Fox, you could at least give it a better time slot instead of the Friday death slot.

Novid

Banned
ollin said:
Not sure if it has been mentioned. I haven't watched the latest episode to check on the posts.

A big F you Fox, you could at least give it a better time slot instead of the Friday death slot.

That hurts. But like i said their marketers are horrible outside of Fox News and they dont even try. They could have moved it back to Tuesday and it will get better numbers NCIS LA ever has or will.

Solo

Novid said:
That hurts. But like i said their marketers are horrible outside of Fox News and they dont even try. They could have moved it back to Tuesday and it will get better numbers NCIS LA ever has or will.

But they won't. Fuck, FOX's handling of this show is so fucking FRUSTRATING.

S1: "hey, this is a hit!"
S2: "hey, lets move it to the toughest slot on television!"
S3: "hey, the ratings are crappy, lets move it to... Fridays! Yes, brilliant!"
S4: N/A :(

Kuran

Banned
vazel said:
I have to agree with these reactions. Fringe's monster of the week episodes are lame.

I wish it would just focus on the main storyline, I'm not interested in a tiny subplot every other episode.. we've seen every possible 'case' before in the X-Files or Millenium...

Somnia

This is so fucking stupid...god I give up on FOX after this. I've tried over and over again to watch their shows, but they always shit can them.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Guys I think it's my fault. Every time I start to watch a FOX show it gets canned. I have been interested in Fringe since it started but because it was a FOX show I didn't want to get invested in it fearing it would be canceled. Well seeing as how they got through 2 seasons I figured it would be safe to Netflix them since usually if a show lasts more than 2 seasons on FOX it sticks around for a while. I just added season 1 to my queue and watched the first two discs and now I just read the news....fuck!

Solo

Just starting the episode now... where does the casting department keep finding all these odd looking people? :lol

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Wow, Fringe left to die. Its almost like a conveyor machine with one of those barrel mincing grinders on one end. Start at the beginning of the week, end on Friday. Hopefully they put Glee in Fringe's old timeslot since thats a show truly desevering of future cancellation.

ollin

A quote from Deadline Hollywood.

As for the decision to bump Fringe to Fridays, "Fringe has a very particular, loyal audience," Reilly said. With the show picking up almost half of its viewrship via DVR, he doesn't expect the sci-fi series to take a big ratings hit in moving to Fridays where it will be paired with solid reality performer Kitchen Nightmares. "If (Fringe) could stay near the current levels, we'll get a big trade-up on Friday and will solve our problem there."

How does this guy expect Fringe to keep it's current levels on a dead night. I doubt Fringe can do better than a 1.0 A18-49. I really do hope American Idol bombs on Thursday.

Solo

God damn, another fantastic episode. I loved the A plot and how it called back to Olivia's experiences in our world. I also love how Torv played Olivia not as Olivia-playing-Oliviate, but as just Oliva, over there. Im continually impressed with how layered her performance is this year. Really enjoyed the scene with her and Christopher Broyles (who I might add I felt was really nicely acted for a child) - that was pure Liv, through and through. And the final scene was of course, the spark that will cause the fire we've been waiting for. At 7/7 now, its not unrealistic to think they might not have a single stinker this whole season.

All of this makes today even more depressing. I'm realizing recently that this has become my favorite show on television, and here is FOX getting ready to kill it.

GDJustin

Shitty news. Fringe sent to die. -_-

The show was a pretty HUGE hit on Tuesdays... 9-12M viewers. Fox switched nights and the show lost literally half of its audience. Fox has no one to blame but themselves. She show would have continued to be a monster on Tuesdays. Now it gets Chuck-levels.

Solo

GDJustin said:
Shitty news. Fringe sent to die. -_-

The show was a pretty HUGE hit on Tuesdays... 9-12M viewers. Fox switched nights and the show lost literally half of its audience. Fox has no one to blame but themselves. She show would have continued to be a monster on Tuesdays. Now it gets Chuck-levels.

Thats what makes me so angry. There was literally NO reason to move the show after S1. None. When you have a big hit, you dont fuck with its timeslot, and you certainly dont move it into the most competitive slot on TV.

Unless you're FOX.

I think Fringe will be around for another season in that slot. Just like NBC realized with Chuck, trying to bring something else in to replace it might be worse than just keeping it around. Both shows have a loyal following that will continue to watch.

Jerk

Banned
Solo said:
God damn, another fantastic episode. I loved the A plot and how it called back to Olivia's experiences in our world. I also love how Torv played Olivia not as Olivia-playing-Oliviate, but as just Oliva, over there. Im continually impressed with how layered her performance is this year. Really enjoyed the scene with her and Christopher Broyles (who I might add I felt was really nicely acted for a child) - that was pure Liv, through and through. And the final scene was of course, the spark that will cause the fire we've been waiting for. At 7/7 now, its not unrealistic to think they might not have a single stinker this whole season.

All of this makes today even more depressing. I'm realizing recently that this has become my favorite show on television, and here is FOX getting ready to kill it.

Do not jinx it!

Solo

DoctorWho said:
I think Fringe will be around for another season in that slot. Just like NBC realized with Chuck, trying to bring something else in to replace it might be worse than just keeping it around. Both shows have a loyal following that will continue to watch.

But unlike Chuck, Fringe keeps getting better, making it a much more crushing blow than losing Chuck would be.

Yaweee

This news makes me a sad panda.

At least Friday isn't all bad for nerd shows. X-files premiered on Fridays and thrived, and Supernatural/Smallville are both above the CW average together on Fridays.

But, yeah, this is likely step 1 in the death process.

The question is how much of its audience will it retain. A 1.9 demo would be 2nd highest of any show for the entire night.

This season has just been a disaster for FOX. Cowell is gone from AI, and they are moving it to a new night as a fall back excuse for its failure.

Bones is going to have the best fucking lead-in on television, and will still pull similar ratings to Fringe.

squicken

I see their logic. If the audience is too small to survive on any other night, then the best case for keeping it around would be a success for a Friday.

I'm not optimistic, but after Lone Star, Terriers, and now Fringe, I realize that my tastes just aren't in line with many other people (not to imply they are somehow better). I can't stand anything youth oriented on TV, so I'll just wander out to pasture and start watching CBS stuff I guess.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
squicken said:
I see their logic. If the audience is too small to survive on any other night, then the best case for keeping it around would be a success for a Friday.

I'm not optimistic, but after Lone Star, Terriers, and now Fringe, I realize that my tastes just aren't in line with many other people (not to imply they are somehow better). I can't stand anything youth oriented on TV, so I'll just wander out to pasture and start watching CBS stuff I guess.

Oh god, don't give up. Don't give up.

AnkitT

Solo said:
But unlike Chuck, Fringe keeps getting better, making it a much more crushing blow than losing Chuck would be.
That came out of nowhere! :lol

Anyways, I loved how they built up the motivation for Broyles to help Olivia in further episodes. Agonizing wait for the next episode to drop though.

Hope it doesnt get cancelled either :(

Fuck. Sending the show out to die. And putting it right back at the same time as Supernatural too. Fuckers.

Let's hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

RAAAGE @ moving to Fridays. Such a bad timeslot for this show, plus I'm tired of Supernatural and Fringe coming on at the same time, cotdammit.

WTF was wrong with the 9PM Tuesday slot of Season 1? SMH.

Dead

well not really...yet
Didn't X-Files do great on Fridays?

Fringe at least isn't a POS like Dollhouse, so if it keeps the same viewership, hopefully it will at least maintaint better ratings then that.

Top Bottom