• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRINGE Season 3 |OT| Inexplicably renewed for a 4th season!

Dead said:
Didn't X-Files do great on Fridays?

Fringe at least isn't a POS like Dollhouse, so if it keeps the same viewership, hopefully it will at least maintaint better ratings then that.

X-Files originally started on Fridays and took off. Fridays are usually where shows go to die.

Zoe

I'm... gonna try to pretend the previous page didn't happen.

:(

At least now that it's on Fridays my bf and I can watch it together again :(

gdt

Aww fuck. FUCK FUCK FUCK. Terrible news to come home to.

If somehow someway Fringe makes it to next season (which would probably be it's last), the budget will get absolutely murdered :(.

Wrap it up (B!) Fringe writers!

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Spire said:
This episode was a nod to an infamous X-Files villain from "Squeeze" and "Tooms". They both stole organs/vitality from others to keep themselves youthful and the names are pretty similar (Tooms and Toomee). They also have similar MO's, although obviously the Fringe guy can't squeeze into the same tight spots Tooms can.
Going to disagree with this. Not much alike imo. Eugene Tooms was a mutant that hibernated after eating the livers of his victims. This is about a religious leader who uses youth to convince an old man into harvesting pineal glands from children so the minister can perform "miracles."

Interesting thought I've been having about this show. It always seems that the technology on "the other side" is always more advanced. Is it possible the discrepancy in technology is due in part to the fact that Walter was in a psych hospital for the majority of Peter's life?

oatmeal

Banned
Solideliquid said:
Interesting thought I've been having about this show. It always seems that the technology on "the other side" is always more advanced. Is it possible the discrepancy in technology is due in part to the fact that Walter was in a psych hospital for the majority of Peter's life?

I would say so...

Jerk

Banned
Solideliquid said:

Not only did the other side have their Walter, they also had our bell.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Solideliquid said:
i think a big part of it was that on our side William Bell ran Massive Dynamic and kept these kinds of technologies mostly private. In the alternate universe, Walternate joined the government and now the feds have that tech (i think there was reference to Fringe Division having much higher tech by the regular police either this episode or the one a couple weeks ago. Cant remember exact quote).

Solideliquid said:
They were already way ahead of us before that. Remember Walter built a cell phone on our side in the early 80s (and I mean RAZR style phone) by observing the other side. They were always ahead of us. Walternate just helped keep them ahead.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Honestly, on the bright side, Fringe is pretty likely to get a 4th season in that time slot (lower expectations), and it seems like the show runners need about that much time to tell the story they're trying to tell.

Obviously I would NEVER advocate or be a fan of canceling a show I love but... four seasons is a pretty good run. Lost had 6, X-Files had about 6 good ones, etc.

I guess I'm just already moving into the acceptance phase of the grieving process :lol Still peeved that Fringe didn't turn into the television phenomenon it was poised to become in season 1, though.

ivysaur12

Banned
Fridays are Fringe's ONLY hope for survival.

Here's the silver lining: Fringe has an established fan base than isn't really lead-in dependent. Fox wants to strengthen their Friday nights. If it can average a 1.5 and trim its budget, it will look good for renewal.

Also, you can blame for for trying to kill the show, but the numbers weren't there for the past two seasons. I know the move to Thursdays hurt it, but even then, the show is down 17% this season. This is its best hope... sadly.

Teh Hamburglar said:
Don't worry. We still got V.

:lol

ivysaur12 said:
Fridays are Fringe's ONLY hope for survival.

Here's the silver lining: Fringe has an established fan base than isn't really lead-in dependent. Fox wants to strengthen their Friday nights. If it can average a 1.5 and trim its budget, it will look good for renewal.

Also, you can blame for for trying to kill the show, but the numbers weren't there for the past two seasons. I know the move to Thursdays hurt it, but even then, the show is down 17% this season. This is its best hope... sadly.

:lol

V is good. Have you even watched it?

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Solideliquid said:
I thought it was pretty funny in the last episode that Olivia needed a pager along with her 'ear ring'. ^_^

I couldn't get into V. After LOST, I am really done with serialized TV. FRINGE is different somehow. At first, it started off with something small like ZFT and then grew and grew layer by layer until it became this. I actually like it better now that they are speeding through their mythology instead of dragging it out. To be honest, I feel that with these serialized shows, they should keep them to three to four seasons long and wrap everything up nice and neat

Teh Hamburglar said:
So one episode and you pass judgement on the series? Mmkay.
Yep. Maybe if it had people whose opinion I cared about telling me it was good a year later I would have continued. But the consensus seemed to be that it sucked. Oh well, not surprised.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
A nice trip down cancelled sci-fi, Friday death slot memory lane:

The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. (1993)
MANTIS (1994)
Strange Luck (1995)
VR.5 (1995)
Sliders (1996)
Millennium (1996)
The Visitor (1997)
Harsh Realm (1999)
Brimstone (1999)
Freakylinks (2000)
Dark Angel (2000)
The Lone Gunmen (2001)
John Doe (2003)
Firefly (2003)
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (2009)
Dollhouse (2010)
Fringe (2011)*
Terra Nova (2012)*

*tenative

Ashhong

Terrible, terrible things. Location shooting was pretty much gone forever. They reused the same 2-3 sets for 100000 locations. CG quality became laughably bad. Smallville used to be the leader in CG tech when it started..now it's gotta be the worst.

big ander

Ashhong said:
Terrible, terrible things. Location shooting was pretty much gone forever. They reused the same 2-3 sets for 100000 locations. CG quality became laughably bad. Smallville used to be the leader in CG tech when it started..now it's gotta be the worst.
Damn. Well, I would rather have that and one more season than have it end here. I don't think they can pull off a satisfying series finale this season, but one more would be the perfect number. Let's cross our fingers.

TripOpt55

Friday :( That kind of stinks. I hope we can get at least a fourth season and they can plan a proper ending and all of that. This is by far my favorite show right now.

Ashhong

big ander said:
Damn. Well, I would rather have that and one more season than have it end here. I don't think they can pull off a satisfying series finale this season, but one more would be the perfect number. Let's cross our fingers.

Oh, yea most definitely. The point of my post though was to point out how well Smallville has done on Fridays in the past few seasons. When the show sucked, ratings sucked. Since the increase in quality though, shock and awe, more people are tuning in. This final season is one of the best yet and is getting series high ratings I believe.

A small committed audience could definitely work for Fringe, much like Smallville and even Supernatural, which is also doing well for CW on Fridays I believe.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
CajoleJuice said:
Yep. Maybe if it had people whose opinion I cared about telling me it was good a year later I would have continued. But the consensus seemed to be that it sucked. Oh well, not surprised.

V turned out ok in the end, first 4 episodes were a mess going way too fast but then it started pulling itself together and by the end it had got pretty good. Some very memorable moments,
"Break her legs!"

It's not in the same league as Fringe or the original mini-series, both storytelling-wise and some of the characters are a bit weak, but if you take it for what it is it's enjoyable. Much more enjoyable than say Caprica, which was so far up it's own arse it ended up being a complete mess. Anna especially makes for an excellent villain.

The actress who played Diana in the original is coming back, and the backstory with her and Anna sounds quite well done and should be good to watch. Also looks like it's getting a bit darker from the teaser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OqasiTOnzw

Solo

Teh Hamburglar said:
So one episode and you pass judgement on the series? Mmkay.

I watched the whole season (glutton for punishment), and you fucking disgrace FRINGE by even mentioning something as terribly written, acted and produced as V in the same sentence.

Solo

ivysaur12 said:

Yeah, you are way off here. The move to Thursday didn't "hurt it", but rather KILLED IT. S1 aired on Tuesdays, and averaged 10 million viewers weekly (don;t ave any demo numbers, sorry). There was literally NO reason for FOX to move it from Tuesdays - it was the centrepiece of that evening's programming. Instead they non-sensically moved it to the worst timeslot on TV, where they promptly lost almost half the audience in S2. The numbers this year are just the continued downswing from that fucking awful move pre-S2.

This show would still be one of FOX's top performers had those fucking morons not touched it.

quaere

Every character in V is even more shallow and one dimensional than pre split universes Olivia. Quite an accomplishment.

ivysaur12

Banned
Solo said:
Yeah, you are way off here. The move to Thursday didn't "hurt it", but rather KILLED IT. S1 aired on Tuesdays, and averaged 10 million viewers weekly (don;t ave any demo numbers, sorry). There was literally NO reason for FOX to move it from Tuesdays - it was the centrepiece of that evening's programming. Instead they non-sensically moved it to the worst timeslot on TV, where they promptly lost almost half the audience in S2. The numbers this year are just the continued downswing from that fucking awful move pre-S2.

This show would still be one of FOX's top performers had those fucking morons not touched it.

They moved it there because they wanted to bolster their Thursdays, and thought a Bones/Fringe pairing would work. And it did - their Thursday were up last year by a lot. Unfortunately, Fringe has even started to drop the viewers it did have from the Thursday schedule. Instead of averaging around a 2.2-2.3, it's average a 1.9. That's not good.

Zoe

close to the edge said:
Oh come ON! I just got into the show a few weeks ago and now it might get cancelled? The fuck?

They do have a full season 3 at least. I think we'll get at least one more.

ivysaur12 said:
They moved it there because they wanted to bolster their Thursdays, and thought a Bones/Fringe pairing would work. And it did - their Thursday were up last year by a lot. Unfortunately, Fringe has even started to drop the viewers it did have from the Thursday schedule. Instead of averaging around a 2.2-2.3, it's average a 1.9. That's not good.
It lost 1/3 of its audience by the third episode of S2.

Solo

Precisely. The show was dead the moment they moved it to Thursdays, we just didn't know it yet.

Zoe said:
They do have a full season 3 at least. I think we'll get at least one more.

They did order the back nine? Thank christ for minor victories!

Yaweee

Solo said:
Precisely. The show was dead the moment they moved it to Thursdays, we just didn't know it yet.

They did order the back nine? Thank christ for minor victories!

They ordered a full season last Spring when it was pulling a 2.something. There was no "back nine" to order.

Solo

Works for me! Honestly, I think if we're given the option between:

a) S3 being the final season, and going out on an epic season-long run of greatness.
b) S4 being the final season, with drastic budget cuts, crappy timeslot, potential network re-tooling, etc.

I'd prefer scenario A. Very fews shows get to go out at their creative peak, but Fringe has that chance.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Solo said:

a) S3 being the final season, and going out on an epic season-long run of greatness.
b) S4 being the final season, with drastic budget cuts, crappy timeslot, potential network re-tooling, etc.

I'd prefer scenario A. Very fews shows get to go out at their creative peak, but Fringe has that chance.

End with S3, then green light a two hour finale that ties everything up?

Solo said:

100% agreed

Yaweee

Solo said:

If it isn't going to get an S4, I just hope they know well ahead of time and can make a proper conclusion. Arrested Development wrapped things up with a great, intentional finale because they knew it was going to be the end. Doing the same with a sci-fi serial is about an order of magnitude harder, but I hope they can pull it off if that is what it comes to.

big ander

Solo said:

I don't know...I understand wanting to go out on a creative peak, but I feel like that could sacrifice having a satisfying story conclusion. If the showrunners could manage to convince fox not to interfere, I would rather have a fourth season if it meant we got a satisfying end.
Yawee said:
If it isn't going to get an S4, I just hope they know well ahead of time and can make a proper conclusion. Arrested Development wrapped things up with a great, intentional finale because they knew it was going to be the end. Doing the same with a sci-fi serial is about an order of magnitude harder, but I hope they can pull it off if that is what it comes to.
This. Unintentional finales have worked for some shows (see Party Down and [somewhat] Journeyman) but I can't see it working for Fringe.

Top Bottom