• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRINGE Season 3 |OT| Inexplicably renewed for a 4th season!

ivysaur12

Banned
CajoleJuice said:
It lost 1/3 of its audience by the third episode of S2.

Let me rephrase that: It was average a 2.2-2.3 during the spring of its sophomore season. Even after it stabilized, it fell even further during its third season in the same timeslot.

I also don't think Fridays are necessarily a bad thing. We'll have to see how it performs, but if it can maintain a 1.5, I think it will be good. As an example, another highly serialized genre show, Supernatural, was doing around a 1.2 at the end of its 5th season. Now, it's going around a 0.9-1.0. That's only about a 20-25% drop. If Fringe can emulate that, that would be great.

Zoe said:
They do have a full season 3 at least. I think we'll get at least one more.
Hm, yeah. I hope the writers get enough time to wrap the series up if it is actually going to get cancelled after this season. I'd hate it if they had to end the show on a cliffhanger.

ivysaur12 said:
Let me rephrase that: It was average a 2.2-2.3 during the spring of its sophomore season. Even after it stabilized, it fell even further during its third season in the same timeslot.

I also don't think Fridays are necessarily a bad thing. We'll have to see how it performs, but if it can maintain a 1.5, I think it will be good. As an example, another highly serialized genre show, Supernatural, was doing around a 1.2 at the end of its 5th season. Now, it's going around a 0.9-1.0. That's only about a 20-25% drop. If Fringe can emulate that, that would be great.
The funny thing is, a 1.2 on the CW is a hit. And Supernatural is a lot less expensive.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Fringe looks like a really, really expensive TV show. The visual effects in particular are among the best on TV. I can see it being a little too costly for its ratings.

V is good. Have you even watched it?
The visitors look ridiculous and not menacing in any way, the acting is bad and full of cliches (super-mom, whiny teenager, badass mercenary with a sad past etc.), there is not a single likeable character, and every CG shot is PS2 bad. I only watch it because as Solo, I'm a glutton for punishment.

Fringe has been mediocre pap until very recently (thank God Kurtzman and Orci found something else to shit on), but it's so far ahead V that makes any comparison invalid.

Ashhong

Solo said:
Works for me! Honestly, I think if we're given the option between:

a) S3 being the final season, and going out on an epic season-long run of greatness.
b) S4 being the final season, with drastic budget cuts, crappy timeslot, potential network re-tooling, etc.

I'd prefer scenario A. Very fews shows get to go out at their creative peak, but Fringe has that chance.

Season 3 wont have enough time to wrap things up..especially if they already had an early full season order. That means that the season outline was probably all nice and neat. I want a great season 4 to wrap up the main storylines and provide a satisfying conclusion. Beyond that, I wouldn't mind seasons 5+ to have budget cuts and some suckiness. It will still be an entertaining show.

I just keep thinking of Smallville in this situation. As long as the quality doesn't decrease that much, I will be happy.

threenote

Banned
Fucking fuck. Fringe is my favorite show. I can't believe Fox is fucking it up (actually, I can. Those assholes managed to fuck up Firefly and Arrested Development).

If Fringe is cancelled, I will quit network television forever. I can't take this shit any longer.

Rewatching the entire first season. Just finished episode 1. It feels weird knowing where this is all going, and I applaud the writers even more for seemingly having a concrete vision for the show from the very beginning. I love it.

Dexa

Banned
threenote said:
If Fringe is cancelled, I will quit network television forever. I can't take this shit any longer.
there has been a press conference - things are looking good atm, 2 other shows have been canceled.

great ep btw - fuuu @ 2 weeks waiting now :(

ollin

I don't want to be pessimistic but Fringe renewal doesn't look good when Fox is pouring a lot of money and effort into Terra Nova. I don't see Fox carrying two Science fiction tv series going into the new tv season.

Zoe

ollin said:
I don't want to be pessimistic but Fringe renewal doesn't look good when Fox is pouring a lot of money and effort into Terra Nova. I don't see Fox carrying two Science fiction tv series going into the new tv season.

Or they're looking to set up a sci-fi night.

/wishful thinking

threenote said:

I've never understood this kind of crap. Even if Fringe is canceled, you still got to watch three entire seasons of it. You'd rather have not seen them at all?

I'll take 22 episodes of Pushing Daisies or 13 of Terriers over never having seen them at all.

I don't like it when shows I enjoy get canceled, but if they can't get the ratings I don't blame the networks.

I don't see what's wrong with giving up on Network televison. It is kind of pointless to get devoted to shows to only see them get cancelled. It's happens so much now.

You are better of in this day and age catching a show after it's been cancelled, or after it's a runaway hit, and accepting its fate from the start.

I didn't start Fringe until the second season had premiered. I caught up with it after borrowing the 1st season blu-ray from my brother. The ratings were still good at that point, so I thought the show will go a few more seasons at least. And I was right, I do hope it gets a season 4 or the ability to properly wrap it up this season.

Unless you're a Nielsen family, there is little point jumping on a Network show its first season or one that has struggling ratings. Just wait it out and indulge yourself in wonderful marathon of entertainment in its entirety.

dead souls said:
I've never understood this kind of crap. Even if Fringe is canceled, you still got to watch three entire seasons of it. You'd rather have not seen them at all?

I'll take 22 episodes of Pushing Daisies or 13 of Terriers over never having seen them at all.

I don't like it when shows I enjoy get canceled, but if they can't get the ratings I don't blame the networks.

You don't blame FX for Terriers' marketing plan? Or Fox for shifting around their shows so much that they inevitably crash and burn?

Flash

I don't want to see fringe get its budget completely depleted. I'd rather have them end it this season on a high note then watch it next year with a ridiculously slashed budget (see Smallville).

Some shows can get away with a low budget but I don't think Fringe can. Every episode seems to have pretty good production values and I don't see how you can make a show about things out of the ordinary look credible otherwise.

ivysaur12

Banned
Flash said:
I don't want to see fringe get its budget completely depleted. I'd rather have them end it this season on a high note then watch it next year with a ridiculously slashed budget (see Smallville).

Some shows can get away with a low budget but I don't think Fringe can. Every episode seems to have pretty good production values and I don't see how you can make a show about things out of the ordinary look credible otherwise.

We'll probably see that slashed budget in its later episodes this season.

gdt

ivysaur12 said:
We'll probably see that slashed budget in its later episodes this season.

Maybe.

When a network makes an episode order (Fox made a full 22 before the season started) do they hash out the budgets at that point?

big ander

Did this catch anyone else's eye this week?
wGztzl.jpg

I didn't realize it, but this is Ella's favorite book. Cool little moment there.

big ander said:
Did this catch anyone else's eye this week?
wGztzl.jpg

I didn't realize it, but this is Ella's favorite book. Cool little moment there.

I think that was kinda the point of that entire shot. Wasn't exactly subtle!

When a network makes an episode order (Fox made a full 22 before the season started) do they hash out the budgets at that point?

I don't think I've ever seen a show slash a budget midway through a season. Most likely everythings been bought or contracted out by that point.

threenote

Banned
dead souls said:

I'd rather watch shows on cable at this point. I'm tired of getting devoted to shows only to find them cancelled in their prime.

Also, the poor ratings are entirely Fox's fault.

Sqorgar

Banned
threenote said:
I'd rather watch shows on cable at this point. I'm tired of getting devoted to shows only to find them cancelled in their prime.
HBO canceled Carnivale, Rome, and Deadwood before they were finished. You should stop watching cable shows too.

big ander

threenote said:

It's just a fact of the TV business. Networks go where the money is, and that's not always with the highest quality shows.
That's not to say networks don't make mistakes; the move to Thursdays was idiotic. But I don't think we can put all of the blame on Fox.
And as others have been saying, I'd rather have 3 awesome seasons than none at all.

Sqorgar said:
HBO canceled Carnivale, Rome, and Deadwood before they were finished. You should stop watching cable shows too.

Rubicon is dead and Terriers probably is too. Underperforming shows get canceled on all types of networks, cable just usually has a lower bar for success. Anybody giving up a channel over a programming decision is acting like a baby.

threenote said:

Really? You don't think it's possible that Fringe just might be the type of show that is not going to attract a large audience?

Somnia

dead souls said:
Rubicon is dead and Terriers probably is too. Underperforming shows get canceled on all types of networks, cable just usually has a lower bar for a success. Anybody giving up a channel over a programming decision acting like a baby.

Really? You don't think it's possible that Fringe just isn't the type of show that is going to attract a large audience?

Season 1 Tuesday 9/8c #43, 9.9 million viewers average
Season 2 Thursday 9/8c #58, 7.34 million viewers average

Keeping it on Thursday with constant breaks has killed its viewership. If you take DVR viewing into account the ratings are not horrible for Fringe, but people do NOT have time to watch everything on Thursday due to how crazy busy that slot is.

They took a show averaging 10 million viewers a week and moved it to a time slot it should never have moved to.

The problem Fringe has is that its current numbers are dropping compared to its previous Thursday night airings. You can't really blame the scheduling for that.

Where else would you have Fox schedule it? I think their midseason schedule was damn near perfect.

Somnia

dead souls said:
The problem Fringe has is that its current numbers are dropping compared to its previous Thursday night airings. You can't really blame the scheduling for that.

Where else would you have Fox schedule it? I think their midseason schedule was damn near perfect.

Should have left it on Tuesdays where it was or put it on Wednesday (granted A.I. is going there now)

Cipherr

dead souls said:

In the original spot where it thrived?

Puncture said:
In the original spot where it thrived?

Given what else they need to schedule I can't see a realistic way for Fox to put Fringe anywhere but Fridays at midseason.

The only other spot it could have went is Wednesdays at 9, but once Idol expands to 90 minutes it would've had to move to Fridays anyway.

Fox isn't going to move Chicago Code from Monday, Tuesdays are working out too well to mess with, and Bones is simply a much more valuable show to Fox than Fringe could ever be.

ivysaur12

Banned
dead souls said:
Given what else they need to schedule I can't see a realistic way for Fox to put Fringe anywhere but Fridays at midseason.

The only other spot it could have went is Wednesdays at 9, but once Idol expands to 90 minutes it would've had to move to Fridays anyway.

Fox isn't going to move Chicago Code from Monday, Tuesdays are working out too well to mess with, and Bones is simply a much more valuable show to Fox than Fringe could ever be.

As much as it pains me, I agree.

If Fringe can do a 1.5-1.7 on Fridays, it may have a shot. Maybe. Potentially.

I really, really hope that Fringe gets a 13 episode 4th season to wrap things up. They're already ahead on their initial plan, it seems, and it would be nice to get some (non-rushed) closure.

big ander said:
I'm normally a redhead/brunette guy. But I have to say, I think I prefer blonde on Anna Torv.
Guess I'm Blue universe and you're Red :D
I am the same. Blonde Anna is superior. But the hottest woman on TV is Yvonne Strahovski.
yvonne-strahovski-shower-01.jpg

I'm shocked to be reading that Fringe is actually on the bubble!? This season has been awesome so far. It's easily the show I look forward to the most this season. This really is depressing.

Fringe also needs a decent budget for the type of show it is. The effects on Heroes became an utter joke when its budget was slashed. The final battle on Heroes was lol-worthy because they had no money to do anything decent. I'm worried the same could happen to Fringe.

Anyway, it was nice seeing The Wire connection save Olivia last ep. :D Go bubbles!

The Chosen One said:
Fringe also needs a decent budget for the type of show it is. The effects on Heroes became an utter joke when its budget was slashed. The final battle on Heroes was lol-worthy because they had no money to do anything decent. I'm worried the same could happen to Fringe
What made the last battle in Heroes an even bigger joke is that it was the first time we really got to see a superpowered fight on the show. They usually took place off screen or behind a door.

big ander

I'm pretty sure all of Heroes post-season 1 (hell, post-Confidence Man because the S1 finale was tarnished by season 2) was some sick joke.

big ander

oatmeal said:
Finally got caught up...

Great season so far.

The music seems to be a lot better this season...
I don't know if it's better, but they're definitely making it more prominent.
I only have like 3 tracks from the Season 1 soundtrack. All Along the Bell Towers <3

OnPoint

Caught up. This has been a great season.

Read a bunch of the previous few pages in this thread. How depressing. If this gets canceled I may seriously stop watching TV shows until they're totally finished and completely on DVD.

big ander

OnPoint said:
Caught up. This has been a great season.

Read a bunch of the previous few pages in this thread. How depressing. If this gets canceled I may seriously stop watching TV shows until they're totally finished and completely on DVD.
I'd be super pissed if it gets canceled, but unfortunately that's the way of TV. Only a very minuscule number of shows get to end on their terms.

Kuran

Banned
Sure.. I watch every episode, but let's be honest. This show sucks.

The way they changed the characters in the alternate dimension was just the nail in the coffin for me.. laughable.

Ashhong

Kuran said:

The way they changed the characters in the alternate dimension was just the nail in the coffin for me.. laughable.
:lol :lol :lol What kind of stupid ass trolling is this? "Let's be honest". Ok, cause everyone in this thread has just been lying to themselves. :lol

ivysaur12

Banned
Kuran said:

What... what are you talking about? Your opinion bro, but... :lol :lol :lol

Top Bottom