• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRINGE Season 3 |OT| Inexplicably renewed for a 4th season!

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Solo said:
She was upset over something Dr. Frankenstein said which paralleled her situation ("I looked into her eyes and I knew it wasn't her") and she finally cracked and told Peter basically that she couldn't handle it, and was quite sad that he wasn't able to tell he wasn't with Olivia. Anna Torv sold the shit out of it.

Thanks to everyone who answered. I guess I'll have to check out the last 10 minutes on hulu tomorrow to catch the scene.

DarthWoo said:
Wait, does Broyles usually call himself Colonel Broyles on the phone like that? I know he asked a politician during some testimony to call him that in the first season, but that he's technically retired from the military. Just sort of threw me off a bit, but I might not have been paying attention.

He was called Colonel on the other side. Maybe they merged or something. Or perhaps he has an extremely morbid sense of humor.

quaere

Jay Shadow said:
Well, Fox's logic is that 45% of their audience DVRs it so it really doesn't matter what day it's on. Get used to more Sprint product placement.
Is that average/high for similar shows?

Great episode, and high on the creepiness factor. It was one of the weaker episodes of the season, but this season has been on fire anyways. And Torv was fantastic in the episode. That final scene with Peter was so well done, and I look forward to seeing how they handle all of this in the future.

And Walter's way to wind down after a hard day: strawberry milkshake, extra whip cream.

big ander

Just popping in and hoping this hasn't been posted yet, because I'm just starting the episode now. But this was right at the beginning:

Firefly, the title of the next episode!
I'm going to try to look for these soon. They're supposedly in every episode, but all of the fan sites have only documented a few.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
PhoncipleBone said:
And Walter's way to wind down after a hard day: strawberry milkshake, extra whip cream.

Nothing wrong with that. Makes me want one of the awesome shakes they had at the Penn State Creamery. Made with real ice cream, not from some stupid soft serve machine. I don't think they had whipped cream though. :(

TripOpt55

Cool episode. Not as good as last week, but still cool. The part with the marionetting or whatever was really creepy. They are handling the Olivia/Peter situation well I think. Fringe has definitely been my favorite show this year. It's been so excellent. I hope this Friday thing goes well.

big ander

9 for 9.
I was expecting a huge drop in quality for this episode. While it was definitely down from the last two weeks, it was still fantastic. This show does creepy and grotesque so often that it was awesome to see something even more gruesome than what's come before. The effects for the removed heart and eyes were brutal. Olivia/Peter was handled so well. Anna Torv's found an excellent sweet spot to play Ourlivia. She's still rational and calculating like she was in season 1, but she's also getting more in touch with herself emotionally. Peter's motivation to tell her was also amazing. And of course, Walter and his strawberry shakes and knowledge of wood flavors was funny.
Ending was awesome. September is back.

promo:
Badass Observers, hell yes. And they want something with Peter and Walter? Should be a thrill ride.
Also, I love that in the promos, you have slow-motion shots of the Fringe team walking. Peter? Sunglasses and serious look. Olivia? Serious look. Walter? Silly smile.

What a creepy ass dude. Episode's nearly done here, but that marionette bit seriously creeped me out.

Edit: Oh damn, final scene is some heavy shit. I know why Peter kept rationalizing everything away. Dude's horny.

ultron87

Episode was creepy and the team being back together was great, but besides that *shrug*.

And that case is annoying when you note that the Fringe team accomplished exactly nothing by investigating it.

big ander

ultron87 said:
Episode was creepy and the team being back together was great, but besides that *shrug*.

And that case is annoying when you note that the Fringe team accomplished exactly nothing by investigating it.
Well they confirmed that temporary reanimation and post-death questioning were still very much possible, and they stopped a serial killer.
If I got that done in a day, I'd be proud.

Zoe

big ander said:
Well they confirmed that temporary reanimation and post-death questioning were still very much possible, and they stopped a serial killer.
If I got that done in a day, I'd be proud.

Well, he wasn't going to kill anymore after that.

They did save the blind guy. Though presumably he called 911 like before.

ivysaur12

Banned
Probably one of the worse episodes this season, minus a few moments with Olivia realizes what it's like being back. I wish they hadn't put a MOTW on top of that :-\

Instro

Nice to see the Observers back again, tonights episode was creepy as hell. Hopefully this move to Friday doesnt kill the show, the FOX guys comment gives me some hope at least. I would really be pissed if this gets canned, one of my favorite shows on TV.

Solo

ultron87 said:

The case was obviously meant as a foil for Olivia's predicament rather than some big case to push the mythology forward. And to that end, it worked brilliantly. At first it looked like Olivia was just going to put on a brave face and act like everything was fine but the case made her realize everything was far from fine and she couldn't just get over it.

Zalasta

I'm glad to see that they are addressing the issue of Olivia trying to reintegrate back into her old life rather than just sweeping it under the rug. Part of me wish that Olivia would just move on but I also understand her feeling of being betrayed, that no one, not even Peter, had any doubts they were with a fake (then again, she wasn't suspected as a replacement either on the other side).

ultron87

Well to be fair, she got the other Olivia's personality implanted in her. For most of that time she wasn't actually "faking it" like Fauxlivia was.

Has there been any indication that we'll get any more Over There episodes this season? That team is really enjoyable to me.

A little unfair to blame Peter, after all the stuff with the alternative universe and what happend there, I think Peter was right to think that something changed in Olivia. Anyway, I think both of them have some reason to be mad but also to forgive, we will see how it plays in the second half of the season.

squicken

I guess we all knew they would go down that pathetic Ross/Rachael route once she came back, but seeing it happen still made it awful.

She should have just said she got a taste for extra dimensional sex toys and couldn't go back to men and never bothered with the romance sub-plot ever again.

Its a shitty, lazy storyline that this show usually is better than.

mm04

The Faceless Master said:
damn, i really felt bad for peter after that delivery. HOW COULD YOU NOT KNOW?!

Good episode. Olivia tried to suck it up, but in the end, too many things kept causing her to think about her personal issues with Peter. Peter did look guilty as hell after she walked off on him. I know many of us had similar situations happen to us where you're just sitting there, feeling like an ass. It's funny because I found myself making Peter's arguments for him in my head as he took a verbal beating.

Yaweee

squicken said:

I normally don't like that sort of romance roadblock, but it would feel wrong if they ignored it or glanced this season. In most shows it is just an unnecessary plot contrivance to add drama, yet here it really is part of the fundamental story. She spent weeks or months trapped in another universe while Peter boned her twin sister. You really think she should just get over that and move on?

Hell, they even spent time at the beginning of the episode wondering about her mental state and whether she was okay to be back on duty.

mm04

Yaweee said:
She spent weeks or months trapped in another universe while Peter boned her twin sister. You really think she should just get over that and move on?

Not only that, she risked it all to get Peter back from the other universe. So she suffers through all that crap and her reward for coming back is finding out Peter was doing the hibbidy dibbidy with the other Olivia in her own bed.

Tokubetsu

mm04 said:
Good episode. Olivia tried to suck it up, but in the end, too many things kept causing her to think about her personal issues with Peter. Peter did look guilty as hell after she walked off on him. I know many of us had similar situations happen to us where you're just sitting there, feeling like an ass. It's funny because I found myself making Peter's arguments for him in my head as he took a verbal beating.

Pretty much even if he came up with something good, being in those situations, it's always best to just shutup and take it. I think they're both in a good position later to forgive each other though.

big ander

Raistlin said:
http://thetvrealist.com/gossip/Insi...de-of-Fringe-is-Entitled-Firefly-4236345.html

Whether the joke will remain humorous or metamorphose into irony and prescience remains to be seen :\
Yeah, I read an article on the next title before I saw the episode, which is why I noticed it in the first scene.
And funnily enough they named the episode a long long time ago, before they knew they'd be moving to Fridays. So the title isn't really a nod at all, just a giant coincidence :lol
squicken said:
I guess we all knew they would go down that pathetic Ross/Rachael route once she came back, but seeing it happen still made it awful.

She should have just said she got a taste for extra dimensional sex toys and couldn't go back to men and never bothered with the romance sub-plot ever again.

It's the complete opposite of lazy. We already knew the feelings were there and we knew their reunion would be testy. Lazy would have been having them together by the end of the episode. Your post really seems like you hate romantic plots in general. This show has never been "above" that; it's the motivation for the very first episode. This is a relationship done really damn well.

We already have the promo for Firefly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr2nTkDyres&feature=player_embedded
:lol

Tokubetsu

big ander said:
Yeah, I read an article on the next title before I saw the episode, which is why I noticed it in the first scene.
And funnily enough they named the episode a long long time ago, before they knew they'd be moving to Fridays. So the title isn't really a nod at all, just a giant coincidence :lol

It's the complete opposite of lazy. We already knew the feelings were there and we knew their reunion would be testy. Lazy would have been having them together by the end of the episode. Your post really seems like you hate romantic plots in general. This show has never been "above" that; it's the motivation for the very first episode. This is a relationship done really damn well.

We already have the promo for Firefly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr2nTkDyres&feature=player_embedded
:lol

God, I just love what they've done with Walter lately. They're really nailing in these comedic cooky scientist interactions. "You're just saying that to see if I'm high..." I giggled :lol

I did not really care for the content of the frankenstein storyline, but i loved the execution of the whole episode

- Anna Torv being awesome. The emotional outburst in the office was to the point.
- The part in her apartment was awesome and strong. No Music, just the silence and her.
- Marionette Part was creepy as hell, but i loved it.
- I love the 2 metaphorical events happening in this episode. One explicitely told to the audience "if you love someone, you will feel if its that person when you see her" and "once something is broken it will be hard to repait it.

love this show. hope well have another season at least

Novid

Banned
squicken said:

OMG. OMFG.

Torv just Nariko'd every goddamn actress on broadcast TV with this episode. EVERY ONE. Ross/Rachael? FUCK THAT NOISE.

Let me make it clear and in neo-gaf moon rune transliteration what happend in this episode.

Truliv just came back from animu world.

horny bishonin from animu world is trying to say "OMG sorry like ya know"

Truliv kinda shrugs it off for a sec thinking that it wasnt that bad.

But she come into the house and its all Ani-Oliva's dere nonsence. smells like it so fucking cute its fucking disusting and shit. She starts cryin.

at the end of the ep, she realizes that dude should have known and realizes that horny bastard is horny bastard. SHE FUCKING didnt forget HIM. He got caught up in Ani-Oliva's moe BULLSHIT and still thinking everythings gonna be ok.

The acting sold it so why in the hell you hatin on this?

Replicant

squicken said:
Wow. I completely disagree. Here we actually have fully-realised character whose feelings, doubt, and anger are actually real. I was cringing along with Olivia when Peter said "She smiled easier". Sure, it's science-fiction series but the series wouldn't resonate as good as it is if the characters are cardboard cut out whose feelings and emotion are non-existant to the viewers.

Novid said:
OMG. OMFG.

Torv just Nariko'd every goddamn actress on broadcast TV with this episode. EVERY ONE. Ross/Rachael? FUCK THAT NOISE.

Let me make it clear and in neo-gaf moon rune transliteration what happend in this episode.

But she come into the house and its all Ani-Oliva's dere nonsence. smells like it so fucking cute its fucking disusting and shit. She starts cryin.

at the end of the ep, she realizes that dude should have known and realizes that horny bastard is horny bastard. SHE FUCKING didnt forget HIM. He got caught up in Ani-Oliva's moe BULLSHIT and still thinking everythings gonna be ok.

The fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck?

big ander

Yaweee said:
Placeholder Hurley's theme?

I remember the Pilot that leaked before S1 just had a bunch of other Giacchino music pasted in.
I was trying to place the music. I knew it couldn't be the final mix. Wonder if it is Hurley's theme.

Novid said:
OMG. OMFG.

:lol :lol :lol

Novid said:
OMG. OMFG.

What the fuck am I looking at here?

UraMallas

Novid said:
OMG. OMFG.

"You're just posting that to see if I'm high."

big ander

OneEightZero said:
Ander: Fringepedia's episode synopses have most of the preceding episode references.
Last I checked a lot of season 2 was missing, looks like some of it still is. But it's still awesome to look through; I kept up with all of them during season 1 but I stopped checking for them in season 2.

Lyonaz

If you told me in season 1 that I would grow to like Olivia or the actress Anna Torv, I would have laughed and kicked you in the face, but hot damn Anna Torv is on fire this season.

CrankyJay

Banned
:lol at the blatant Sprint advertisement in the show. There was NO good reason for Astrid to have a face chat with Peter when she could have just called him on a regular call.

CrankyJay said:
:lol at the blatant Sprint advertisement in the show. There was NO good reason for Astrid to have a face chat with Peter when she could have just called him on a regular call.
Gotta pay for the show somehow. It wasn't as terrible as the Windows Phone 7 product placement in many other shows.

Exclamation-One said:
If blatant product placement means Fringe will survive, bring on the BLATANT PRODUCT PLACEMENT!
Blatant product placement is usually REALLY bad, but I love how Chuck does it. It is so painfully obvious that it is funny, but it works on that show. On Fringe it would just get extremely tiring.

Top Bottom