• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRINGE Season 3 |OT| Inexplicably renewed for a 4th season!

Solo

Lyonaz said:
If you told me in season 1 that I would grow to like Olivia or the actress Anna Torv, I would have laughed and kicked you in the face, but hot damn Anna Torv is on fire this season.

She really has come a long way. The entire S1 thread and a good portion of the S2 thread were filled with people complaining about her acting. I can't recall if anyone has complained about it in the S3 thread.

CrankyJay

Banned
Solo said:
She really has come a long way. The entire S1 thread and a good portion of the S2 thread were filled with people complaining about her acting. I can't recall if anyone has complained about it in the S3 thread.

I don't think her acting was bad to begin with. I think that's how the writers intended her to come off...as stiff, intense, and not so quick to smile. It's as if people seeing her as the other Olivia show some emotion and spark that she just suddenly learned how to act. I don't think that's the case.

Solo

Oh, don't get me wrong. I've been a Torv supporter from the get go and I too believe that she was simply playing Olivia as she was directed to. Olivia circa S1 was very professional, guarded, and had endured tragedy in her past, and I felty Torv conveyed all of that in her portrayal.

PhoncipleBone said:
Blatant product placement is usually REALLY bad, but I love how Chuck does it. It is so painfully obvious that it is funny, but it works on that show. On Fringe it would just get extremely tiring.
Yeah. Chuck is suited for that kind of over-the-top advertising because the show itself is already quite cheesy (mostly in a good way). Fringe is more of a straight drama and it would feel very out of place. The video chat thing was a little weird but still tolerable. If they keep it like that and it helps keep the show alive, it's fine with me.

Solo

Guys, the product placement wasn't bad at all. They just showed a Sprint phone. No big deal. Its not like Peter said "Hang on a second, Walter. I need to call Astrid on my superfast 4G Sprint phone, complete with video chatting, for the low price of $50 a month. Can you wait a moment?"

oatmeal

Banned
Cool episode, the puppet part was one of the best visuals I've seen in awhile...very creepy.

Fucking hell, though...the difference between a patched together dead girl and your physically IDENTICAL counterpart who knows almost EVERYTHING about you and is TRYING TO BE YOU is not the same thing.

big ander

Only part of it that bugged me was that, when we were from Astrids POV looking at the phone, it barely looked like Peter was holding a phone.

mm04

Solo said:
Guys, the product placement wasn't bad at all. They just showed a Sprint phone. No big deal. Its not like Peter said "Hang on a second, Walter. I need to call Astrid on my superfast 4G Sprint phone, complete with video chatting, for the low price of $50 a month. Can you wait a moment?"

It didn't even bother me. But it was only completely hurmorous to me because they had a commercial for it just prior to that scene.

big ander

oatmeal said:
Cool episode, the puppet part was one of the best visuals I've seen in awhile...very creepy.

Fucking hell, though...the difference between a patched together dead girl and your physically IDENTICAL counterpart who knows almost EVERYTHING about you and is TRYING TO BE YOU is not the same thing.
It's in no way the same, but the parallels are still there for sure. Peter has good reasons for believing Ourlivia had just changed, but he can't deny that he should have noticed something.

oatmeal

Banned
big ander said:
It's in no way the same, but the parallels are still there for sure. Peter has good reasons for believing Ourlivia had just changed, but he can't deny that he should have noticed something.

It's tough to say. They've never really had a romantic relationship before, things always change when that happens. Especially with someone as closed off as the Real Olivia.

Her going back and forth between universes is definitely something that could be life-changing. So I don't think it's too much of a stretch for Real Olivia to be a little off.

Olivia is lucky there's only one Peter, she is guaranteed to not have to deal with this.

But if that little, patchwork girl came to life and recognized the puppeteer, he never would have said that to Olivia.

Basically, Olivia is just being a woman.

Ashhong

Solo said:

It's like these guys have never watched a single episode of 24.

Solo said:
Exactly. Where Awesome on Chuck said "Honey, you don't want to take the new Sienna? It got a five star crash proof rating!"

Jay Shadow said:
Anytime they go out of their way to show a specific feature that's in all of their commercials with no real relevant reason why, it's bad.

No it's not. In fact, for me, it helps ground the world. We see actual products instead of knockoffs.

Jay Shadow said:
Anytime they go out of their way to show a specific feature that's in all of their commercials with no real relevant reason why, it's bad.
Showing is one thing. Telling us what they are using and doing with it is another.

Ashhong

PhoncipleBone said:
Exactly. Where Awesome on Chuck said "Honey, you don't want to take the new Sienna? It got a five star crash proof rating!"

No dude, it's okay because its Chuck. Chuck can do no wrong, duh!

Excuse me while I go eat my piping hot meatball sub with gooey oozing melted cheese that I got for doing a good job at my work.

Ashhong said:
No dude, it's okay because its Chuck. Chuck can do no wrong, duh!

Excuse me while I go eat my piping hot meatball sub with gooey oozing melted cheese that I got for doing a good job at my work.
I was using that as a point that blatant product placement works on Chucl because it is so over the top about it.

heliosRAzi said:
No it's not. In fact, for me, it helps ground the world. We see actual products instead of knockoffs.
I've got no problem staring at a Sprint logo when an incoming calls come in. I do have a problem when two people who usually talk on their phone normally, including other times in this exact episode, instead choose to hold their phone in front of their faces for no reason at all. That does the complete opposite of grounding the world for me. That's the characters stopping their normal behavior to sell phones.

Now...if maybe someone needed to see something that was back at the lab and they weren't there(something not disgusting since there is a product image to worry about here), and they happened to have these handy Sprint phones with a fancy video chat feature, then THAT would be good product placement which grounds you in the world.

Ashhong

PhoncipleBone said:
I was using that as a point that blatant product placement works on Chucl because it is so over the top about it.

Oh...you were even in support of the Sienna placement? I can deal with the Subway, just barely. But sometimes...its just not cool.

Not pointing at you in particular, but there is no reason to be offended by the Sprint phone on Fringe and not by Chuck's everything. Over the top ness is not an excuse. If Olivia came into the lab and said, "Hey Walter, I got you a dozen of the most delicious, freshly fried honey glazed donuts" would that be okay? Not to me...

^ Video chat is the new hot thing. Nothing unbelievable about it.

I thought it was a little bit rough the way it was handled, but its always been there. I cant believe people are just noticing. What Ive noticed is how Sprint seems to be the most notorious of the obvious and somewhat bad product placements. Theres been a good bunch in Fringe and I remember some in Heroes which were just as intrusive.

Regardless I loved the episode. It certainly didn't live up to fall season finales of previous, but I suppose having Olivia get this obligatory reactionary episode out of the way for the spring is better to do now. I wouldn't want to have this start after waiting for the show to come back. I just think of the previous episode as the fall send off.

Ashhong said:
Oh...you were even in support of the Sienna placement? I can deal with the Subway, just barely. But sometimes...its just not cool.

Not pointing at you in particular, but there is no reason to be offended by the Sprint phone on Fringe and not by Chuck's everything. Over the top ness is not an excuse. If Olivia came into the lab and said, "Hey Walter, I got you a dozen of the most delicious, freshly fried honey glazed donuts" would that be okay? Not to me...

^ Video chat is the new hot thing. Nothing unbelievable about it.
The Subways sandwiches on Chuck have become a character themselves. The Sienna product placement was bad, but on a show like Chuck where they are very in your face with certain product placement, it didn't stand out as much as it could have. Bad, but could have been worse. If Awesome just stopped at "You don't want to take the Sienna?" it would have been blatant, but not borderline offensive.

With Fringe, I honestly was not bothered at all by the Sprint product placement. I really didn't even put two and two together about them using the hot new Sprint tech until coming on here. I recognized the phones, but that was about it. Just like on 24, they use only one company for the phones, but it wasn't screaming too much attention.

Dez

Wasnt there a scene of walter eating at a KFC in the season finale last year? That was over the top but since it was Walter, it was funny and we forgive it.

Drewsky

lol I was going to say product placement didn't really make a difference to me, but then I realized you guys were talking about the Facetime thing. That was ridiculous.

CrankyJay

Banned
Jay Shadow said:
Agreed. Like I said before, there was no reason for that to be a video call. Could have been a regular one.

CrankyJay said:
Agreed. Like I said before, there was no reason for that to be a video call. Could have been a regular one.
well when i first got my hands on iphone 4 with facetime, i made videocalls just to do so. because its cool. and with 4g sprint network its even cooler, you dont need an actual reason

Shurs

One thing I feel the show is missing this season are the touching scenes between Walter and Astrid that were often present in Season 2.

Solo

Shurs said:
One thing I feel the show is missing this season is the touching scenes between Walter and Astrid that were often present in Season 2.

Well, the entire season so far has been devoted to the 2 universes conflict + 1 episode for Olivia to get back into stride. Im sure we'll get more attention paid to the rest of the relationships very soon.

Honestly, the Alternate Universe is the PERFECT place for product placement, because fans will obsessively comb through the episodes looking for differences. =)

Now this is a show that has gone downhill really fast. Torv is a horrible actress, and she's an ugly ass hoe to boot. She has a mean ass mug. Alternate Olivia was some hammy assed acting, with that crooked smile. I think even she forgot who was who when playing her scenes. I think people just have lower expectations.

Most of the character development doesn't matter, as well as most of the other sci fi ish ideas thrown out the window. This is just another comic book like show where only the events that happen make it semi interesting...but no depth beyond that. Only watching this show because I want to see where this train wreck is going to go. Shoutout to alternate astrid with the black panthers getup.

Future

Haha wow hatas gonna hate.

I liked this episode. It was suitable creepy, had a cool hook, and was a fringe event that finally had nothing to do with some phantom Walter experiment that he barely remembers. Still pushed some global storyline development, and the acting was alright to me. Dont have my oscar winners only goggles on though

big ander

BlackClouds said:
Now this is a show that has gone downhill really fast. Torv is a horrible actress, and she's an ugly ass hoe to boot. She has a mean ass mug. Alternate Olivia was some hammy assed acting, with that crooked smile. I think even she forgot who was who when playing her scenes. I think people just have lower expectations.

Most of the character development doesn't matter, as well as most of the other sci fi ish ideas thrown out the window. This is just another comic book like show where only the events that happen make it semi interesting...but no depth beyond that. Only watching this show because I want to see where this train wreck is going to go. Shoutout to alternate astrid with the black panthers getup.
You're literally the ONLY person on the Internet, users and critics included, I've seen that thinks the show is a trainwreck this season.

BlackClouds said:

Everyone has their opinion so I won't get into much, I just want to know why you would say "sci fi ish ideas". How can ideas such as time travel, a multiverse, shapeshifters, robot arms, reanimation, lost civilization, and all of the other things present within the show are just a little sci-fi, but not all the way. It's like saying Harry Potter is fantasy-ish despite it being fully fantasy.

HeySeuss

BlackClouds said:

:lol :lol :lol Well played. You definitely got a response like you wanted...

Epcott

Just watched the last two episodes. Maybe it's the beer, but Anna really has me believing there are actually two Olivias. Pretty lame how the romance is over between her and Peter though, but still believable since he did mess around with someone else.

I wonder if it's true about the move to Fridays? That will absolutely kill the show.
If they do Fuck Fox (for the umpteenth time... and for Terminating the show like Sarah Connor Chronicles).

OnPoint

Question, and maybe it's been addressed but I missed that:

Remember back in Season 1 when Olivia crossed to the other side for the first time?

She had blonde hair and everything, but they recognized/interacted with her fine. Is that the same alt-universe, or what?

Zoe

It would have had to be a universe where they did Cortexiphan trials--which didn't happen in the Other universe.

Epcott said:
I wonder if it's true about the move to Fridays? That will absolutely kill the show.

It's true.

big ander

Epcott said:
Just watched the last two episodes. Maybe it's the beer, but Anna really has me believing there are actually two Olivias. Pretty lame how the romance is over between her and Peter though, but still believable since he did mess around with someone else.

If they do Fuck Fox (for the umpteenth time... and for Terminating the show like Sarah Connor Chronicles).
Eh, I wouldn't call their romance over. They've just hit a rough patch. A really really rough patch.

And again, I don't think the move to Fridays will kill it. There aren't many casual Fringe fans. If the hardcore fans follow it to Friday, it'll perform great.

Cafeman

In the past month, I have watched Seasons 1 and 2 of Fringe (netflix). I missed all of the season 3 episodes so far. So Olivia at end of Season 2 is trapped by Walternate on earth2 and beautiful auburn-haired skankier Olivia is in congnito on Earth1.

Where do you recommend I can catch up, for free? I don't want to buy eps on Zune / Xbox live. I checked around a bit but episodes 1-5 don't seem to be online anywhere that I could see.

I haven't read a thing in this thread and will only check for responses to my question. Love the show!

Top Bottom