• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRINGE Season 3 |OT| Inexplicably renewed for a 4th season!

Solo

*Walter with his pants around his ankles and a needle in his teeth*
Peter: what are you doing, Walter?
Walter: I'm making myself smarter!

LOL. Episode is off to a great start.

EDIT: some nice parellels between Lloyd's character and Walter. Observers fucking shit up!

big ander

Dr. Pangloss said:
Do you think the child could operate the machine since he shares half of his chromosomes with Peter?
Oh shit.
Solo said:
1.9....what were they getting in the first half on Thursdays again?
This season it's been getting in the 1.7-2.1 range every episode. Too lazy to actually calculate it, but I think the average was about 1.8 or 1.9.
So this is great news, and I hope it stays consistent.

For next week's episode "Reciprocity" (spoilers of course):
Promo
Canadian Promo

Are canadian promos usually that badly put together?

Deadline said:
How do you like the sound of that? Fringe was the highest-rated program last night. Despite a great level of concern that the move of the beloved-by-fans but ratings-challenged sci-fi drama from Thursdays to Fridays would lead to its quick demise, it showed spunk, drawing a 1.9/6 in adults 18-49 at 9 PM, up 12% from its last original on Thursday on Dec. 9 and tied with its season average. Fringe's lead-in, the fourth season premiere of reality series Kitchen Nightmares (1.9/6) also had a strong showing. It was up 36% from its third season premiere last January (also on Friday) to tie Fringe as the top program of the night in the demo. Fox won the night in 18-49 with its highest Friday delivery since May 2008, improving its season average by 111%.

Fringe's performance may have been helped by the fact that CBS' CSI: NY at 9 PM was a rerun (CBS also aired a repeat at 10 PM) At 8 PM, the network bid farewell to Medium (1.6/5, 7.8 million), whose series finale was up 20% in the demo from last week. CBS (1.3/4, 7.2 million) won the night in total viewers and finished tied for third place in 18-49 with NBC, which aired a Minute to Win It rerun and a two-hour Dateline (1.4/4), down 7% from last week.

ABC (1.4/5) was second in 18-49 with Supernanny (1.1/4, flat with last week), Primetime: What Would You Do? (1.7/5, up 13%) and 20/20 (1.5/5, up 7%)

Biggest show of the night, but was up against a repeat of CSI. Next few weeks will be telling.

big ander

Solo said:
So a 1.9 is poison on Thursday but praiseworthy on Friday, is that the general idea?
Exactly. Phonciple's article and ivy's link show that one Fridays, a 1.9 can easily win the night for 18-49. If it can hold the ratings it got tonight, it'll hopefully keep the Friday slot for a while.

PhoncipleBone said:
Biggest show of the night, but was up against a repeat of CSI. Next few weeks will be telling.
Yeah, I'm hoping it won't have to win every week. I hope it just has to keep a 1.8 or above.

CrankyJay

Banned
Weird question, but I could have sworn Roscoe called Astrid "Kelly" during the episode (towards the end with thanking her). Did I just mishear her?

big ander

CrankyJay said:
Weird question, but I could have sworn Roscoe called Astrid "Kelly" during the episode (towards the end with thanking her). Did I just mishear her?
Ah, I remember hearing that too but I forgot to check it again. I think I will now.

EDIT: Yeah, Roscoe calls her Kelly. Maybe it's just saying that while Walter uses names like Ashram and Astral and Esther Figglesworth, he goes all the way and completely changes the name. :lol

allegate said:
I dunno, just making a random comment. I didn't get much sleep last night so the statement was worded poorly.
Didn't mean for that to come out so smartassy. My apologies.

The final overnight's might drop for Fringe, but it always gets a huge boost in DVR ratings every week. Thankfully Fox seems to be taking that into account.

Haven't finished it yet, but I had to jump in and say that "Dr. Jacoby From Washington State" reference while wearing the 3D Glasses was the best Twin Peaks shout out of all dang time.

Solo

Another excellent episode. Season is still batting perfect at 10/10. I am really curious what the implications of the final scene will be, and when they will play out. Christopher Lloyd was great and I thought he was a nice companion piece to Walter. Some really great moments between Peter and Walter in this one.

squicken

PhoncipleBone said:
Once. It was up once. It has to stay up to make me less worried. It is good news either way, but let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet.

Yeah but if would have been down a bit, it would have been done. So at least for now, there's still a chance.

ivysaur12

Banned
PhoncipleBone said:

The final overnight's might drop for Fringe, but it always gets a huge boost in DVR ratings every week. Thankfully Fox seems to be taking that into account.

I doubt that. There was extremely little change from the half-hours in total viewership. I suspect that it'll stay the same... which is sad, because I'd like to see it get a bump up to a 2.0.

And wow, that Canadian promo is terribad.

PhoncipleBone said:

No worries, like I said I'm just tired, plus some other crap going on.

Watched the show live last night for the first time since the first season. It was so jarring going to commercials and having to think "ok, this isn't the show right now". Every time it happened I was so confused as to how that particular plot point was going to play out. :lol

Finally finished watching it. What a wonderful episode. The scene between Lloyd and Noble in the lab recounting how Lloyd lost his son was fantastic. I want them to get more aging actors on there to interact with Walter, because between this and Peter Weller's turn in "White Tulip" the scenes are almost always fantastic.

Whatever the showrunners have been taking this season, let's hope they keep taking it. The season is on a flawless run so far. Some episodes are not as good as others, but all are fantastic.

aparisi2274

The episode was excellent. I felt like the entire episode was a nod to BTTF.

-Christopher Lloyd
-Time Travel
-Episode aired on 1.21

Can't wait for next week.

WrikaWrek said:
Episode sucked.

2zYMG.gif

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
WrikaWrek said:
Episode sucked.

Get out.

In other news - I think we may have gotten some foreshadowing.

At the beginning of the episode, Walter says that he wouldn't hurt himself, not even one second later, he sticks himself with a needle and hurts himself. That makes me wary :/.

ivysaur12

Banned
The great thing about Fringe is that it takes otherwise overused sci-fi tropes (the butterfly effect, multiple universes, doppelgangers) and twists them around the lives of these amazingly poignant characters and central father/son story to create something not-cliched and quite extraordinary.

So great.

big ander

El Pescado said:
Everyone excited about the Twin Peaks reference should check out the Psych episode "Dual Spires"
Well, Fringe itself also had a Twin Peaks-inspired episode in "Northwest Passage."
ivysaur12 said:
The great thing about Fringe is that it takes otherwise overused sci-fi tropes (the butterfly effect, multiple universes, doppelgangers) and twists them around the lives of these amazingly poignant characters and central father/son story to create something not-cliched and quite extraordinary.

So great.
Yep.

big ander said:
BIG news here, still sort of a rumor but I trust the source:
http://bit.ly/gKAk6w On twitter Leonard Nimoy said: "Plans developing for a William Bell return to Fringe. Stay tuned. "
!!!!!!!

Haha whoa. Didn't know Noble was taking on a video game role.
I'm not usually one to read spoilers, but
WOOO! That would be really, really cool. Didn't he give up acting after the Fringe part ended?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Just caught the episode. I had heard it was sorta meh, so I was pleasantly surprised. Christopher Lloyd, as much as I love him, was basically death-on-camera though. His scenes were so... boring. He was essentially wasted when he was on Chuck, too.

But besides that I liked it quite a bit. Nice to see more Observer oddness. Nice to see the mythology pushed forward.

AMAZED that the ratings held (climbed!) on Friday, too. I was SUUUUURE that Fringe was toast... now I have hope. If it can hold at 1.9 or 2.0, the show's budget might not get raped, either. If a lower-rated Friday Fringe got renewed for S4 with a reduced budget, it might as well have been canceled. It's plain to see which shows on TV have $$ to spend and which don't... makes it hard to watch Chuck these days.

I thought that Lloyd was fantastic in the episode. The scene with him recounting his son's death to Walter was just so well done and acted by him and Noble. Lloyd was wasted on Chuck, but he did a fantastic job on Fringe in my opinion.

From ew.com

EW said:
Fox’s Fringe story continues to improve. After delivering a surprisingly strong number on Friday despite moving from Thursdays, the drama has gained an additional 42 percent thanks to DVR playback after only three days of Nielsen measurements.
Fringe jumped from a 1.9 adult demo rating on Friday night (matching its Thursday average) to a 2.7, thanks to the added viewing.
Compare that to CBS’ Blue Bloods, which has averaged a 2.4 on the night. Competition will climb in the coming weeks as Fringe will face more original shows like CW’s Supernatural, but this is a great start.

VERY good news.

I think the move to Friday's fired up the fanbase and also the critics in getting people to pay attention to the show. It is not the most amazing ratings out there, but it is nice to see the show do so well on the new night. Let's just hope it maintains the momentum.

ivysaur12

Banned
Networks get *some* revenue from Live+3 views, so that's great news. They don't get any, from what I understand, from Live+7 though.

Still, Fringe was doing a 2.9 in it's Live+7 on Thursdays. Good improvement.

Top Bottom