• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRINGE Season 3 |OT| Inexplicably renewed for a 4th season!

ivysaur12

Banned
GDJustin said:
FYI this is part of the reason I watch Fringe and other bubble shows I like on Hulu or another (legal, sanctioned) online streaming source.

I'm not a Nielsen family so my TV viewing isn't counted. But online, every single person that watches a show is counted.

Does this make a difference? Probably not. There is absolutely 0 stories of a show pulling a 1.4 on TV, but being "saved" because a lot of people watched it on Hulu. But I figure... it can't hurt. At least my view is COUNTED, this way.

Plus, I would imagine online viewership is not an insignificant amount of money, at this point. A little back of the envelope math:

If ~300,000 people stream each episode of Fringe, and there are four paid 30-second commercials (assuming one unpaid), that is 1.2M paid spots per episode. If those spots are sold for $30 CPM, then that is $36,000 per episode, or $792,000 for the season. Not much, but not exactly chopped liver.

& of course it is possible twice that many people stream, Hulu CPMs are $50 not $30, there are 8 paid commercials (2 per break) etc.

It takes about 10million viewers online to make up the ad revenue of 1 million television viewers.

While Hulu is the 39th most visited site in the US (with that numbers slowly rising), it still doesn't generate the views necessary to truly save a show like Fringe with these numbers.

Right now, the industry is making considerably more money from online viewing that they did even at Hulu's launch. I also suspect that in order to generate more ad revenue, more commercials will eventually be added. CBS (and Warneber Brothers) will also have to join in if the experiment is to be a complete success and fundamentally change viewership.

Then... we strike.

GDJustin said:
No, not even close. Dollhouse was like 0.8 - 1.0.

Dollhouse's low in season 1 was a 1.0. It had around a 1.4-1.5 and then sunk right at the end near Briar Rose and Omega. The second season stayed around a .9 most of the time, sometimes a .8, sometimes a 1.0.

HeySeuss

I told you guys Walternate wasn't evil last season but you laughed at me. He's not evil, hes just is willing to go to the ends of the earth to get his son back.

But sadly we won't see how this show plays out it seems. Maybe SyFy will pick it up if it gets cancelled.

ivysaur12

Banned
Shick Brithouse said:
I told you guys Walternate wasn't evil last season but you laughed at me. He's not evil, hes just is willing to go to the ends of the earth to get his son back.

But sadly we won't see how this show plays out it seems. Maybe SyFy will pick it up if it gets cancelled.

Not a chance. SyFy is owned by Universal, which would only pick up the show if it was a UMS production (hence why Dollhouse was never even a possibility).

If Fox passes on season 4 of Fringe, it would only get picked up by other networks that are owned by Time Warner: HBO, Turner Broadcasting System, The CW Television Network, or Cartoon Network.

The show is off-brand for almost all of those except potentially the CW. Even then, it's still off-brand enough that I don't think Ostroff would make that call. Not to mention that the CW is basically a CBS enterprise anyways.

HeySeuss

ivysaur12 said:
Not a chance. SyFy is owned by Universal, which would only pick up the show if it was a UMS production (hence why Dollhouse was never even a possibility).

If Fox passes on season 4 of Fringe, it would only get picked up by other networks that are owned by Time Warner: HBO, Turner Broadcasting System, The CW Television Network, or Cartoon Network.

The show is off-brand for almost all of those except potentially the CW. Even then, it's still off-brand enough that I don't think Ostroff would make that call. Not to mention that the CW is basically a CBS enterprise anyways.
There you go bringing logic and reason into this...

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
ivysaur12 said:
Dollhouse's low in season 1 was a 1.0. It had around a 1.4-1.5 and then sunk right at the end near Briar Rose and Omega. The second season stayed around a .9 most of the time, sometimes a .8, sometimes a 1.0.

...That's what I said.

On Fridays, it pulled a .8 - 1.0

Edit: re: your online viewer notes - all I was saying was on Hulu my view is counted. On TV, it isn't.

ElRenoRaven

ivysaur12 said:

Not only that but let's be honest here. How many shows have successfully been picked up by other networks post cancellation? I can count them on one hand with some fingers left over. Those being SG1, That one show that went to CBS when NBC killed it, Scrubs for it's final season (I refuse to count Med School), and southland. So the odds it would be picked up are slim to none.

ivysaur12

Banned
GDJustin said:
...That's what I said.

On Fridays, it pulled a .8 - 1.0

Edit: re: your online viewer notes - all I was saying was on Hulu my view is counted. On TV, it isn't.

Right, I know it is. The problem is that even if you, me and every single other person on GAF right now go have every Fringe episode stream on Hulu, it won't really make a difference. We'd literally have to crash the servers for there to be significant ad revenue generated to the point of saving the show.

And I was pointing out that Dollhouse was average a 1.5 until the very end of its first season. It's matching Fringe fairly evenly now, actually.

PsychoRaven said:
Not only that but let's be honest here. How many shows have successfully been picked up by other networks post cancellation? I can count them on one hand with some fingers left over. Those being SG1, That one show that went to CBS when NBC killed it, Scrubs for it's final season (I refuse to count Med School), and southland. So the odds it would be picked up are slim to none.

You're thinking of Medium. Medium, Scrubs and Southland also weren't very successful on the other networks either. The only really "successful" network switch I can remember is Buffy from the WB to UPN, but that was over a decade ago.

ElRenoRaven

ivysaur12 said:
Right, I know it is. The problem is that even if you, me and every single other person on GAF right now go have every Fringe episode stream on Hulu, it won't really make a difference. We'd literally have to crash the servers for there to be significant ad revenue generated to the point of saving the show.

And I was pointing out that Dollhouse was average a 1.5 until the very end of its first season. It's matching Fringe fairly evenly now, actually.

You're thinking of Medium. Medium, Scrubs and Southland also weren't very successful on the other networks either. The only really "successful" network switch I can remember is Buffy from the WB to UPN, but that was over a decade ago.

Scrubs I think was successful based on the fact it kept it's ratings from before the change. Well the season before med school did. It wasn't ever really a super popular show so to have kept it's ratings was a success in my opinion. Also yea medium was the one I was thinking of. Also good pointing out Buffy. I forgot that one. So ok 5 shows all said and done. That's very few considering how many shows there have been since t.v. was invented.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Good episode. Sucks about the 1.4 :(

i have a question. What was the trigger that changed Old Walter into such an asshole? Old Walter must have been a huge prick from whats implied to have taken place between himself and Peter. We also get a glimpse of Old Walter when in S1 i think, Old Walter resurfaces and is seemingly downright evil. So im curious, what happened between the Nice Walter that swapped sons to point where Walter had to have his brain modified? Did i miss something?

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
1.4 = :(

Anyways, really good episode.

Fox really messed up here. The dude who said they should put Glee on Fridays and move Fringe back to Tuesdays (for season 4) is a genius. I would rather have Fringe than Human Target and I like Human Target.

Did anybody notice they threw a hint to Fauxlivia being pregnant in the episode? When she gives Frank the wine and they toast, she's drinking water.

She also didn't get her tattoo on the back of the neck back either. Not sure if that's a continuity mess up or not, but Frank didn't notice.

Feel pretty bad for Frank, he got burned. I think Peter is gonna merge worlds...or create another Peter? He's obviously gonna fix something.

Also, I'm guessing Walternate won't experiment on kids because his kid was stolen.

Middle of the episode now. Two things:
1. I hate bugs
2. Damn, Julie McNiven is looking DAMN fine here. The glasses and hair...yum. Yes, nerdy is hot.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
UM.
This show has lost me completely. I don't know what it is man, I used to love this show. And this season has been really cool, but I just don't care any more.

big ander

water_wendi said:
Good episode. Sucks about the 1.4 :(

i have a question. What was the trigger that changed Old Walter into such an asshole? Old Walter must have been a huge prick from whats implied to have taken place between himself and Peter. We also get a glimpse of Old Walter when in S1 i think, Old Walter resurfaces and is seemingly downright evil. So im curious, what happened between the Nice Walter that swapped sons to point where Walter had to have his brain modified? Did i miss something?
Well, I don't think he was ever evil. He just used to take extraordinary measures to complete a goal, even if that meant sacrificing the innocence of children. I'm pretty sure he didn't go on a killing spree to invent a vaccine or anything like that.
TheOMan said:

Fox really messed up here. The dude who said they should put Glee on Fridays and move Fringe back to Tuesdays (for season 4) is a genius. I would rather have Fringe than Human Target and I like Human Target.

Did anybody notice they threw a hint to Fauxlivia being pregnant in the episode? When she gives Frank the wine and they toast, she's drinking water.

She also didn't get her tattoo on the back of the neck back either. Not sure if that's a continuity mess up or not, but Frank didn't notice.

Feel pretty bad for Frank, he got burned. I think Peter is gonna merge worlds...or create another Peter? He's obviously gonna fix something.

Also, I'm guessing Walternate won't experiment on kids because his kid was stolen.
They aren't going to move Glee to Fridays. Sure, it'd probably do good for a Friday show, but they'd rather have it do a lot better on Tuesdays.
And yeah, Walternate doesn't experiment on kids because Peter was kidnapped. It wasn't said outright in the episode, but it made it pretty obvious.
Jtwo said:
UM.
This show has lost me completely. I don't know what it is man, I used to love this show. And this season has been really cool, but I just don't care any more.
Hm. Weird that you don't know why it lost you, especially when I feel it's otherwise unanimously agreed that it's only gotten better as time has gone on.

TheOMan said:

Anybody who thinks that Fox should, or would, move Glee to Fridays has no idea how the television industry works.

If Fringe comes back next year it will air on Fridays. Fox might be dumb enough to renew an obviously underperforming show (Dollhouse anyone?), but they aren't dumb enough to waste any of their Mon-Thurs time slots on it.

TheOMan said:
Um - I wasn't being serious about moving Glee to Fridays...
I dont think anyone else took you seriously.

As for the ratings, I only partially blame the friday move. I mainly blame moving it to Thursdays. It was doing well enough on Tuesdays, but they had to go and fuck with it.

PhoncipleBone said:
I dont think anyone else took you seriously.

As for the ratings, I only partially blame the friday move. I mainly blame moving it to Thursdays. It was doing well enough on Tuesdays, but they had to go and fuck with it.

Maybe, but if you have to baby a show to keep the ratings healthy is it really worth keeping on your network?

Fringe has moved around a lot less than many other Fox shows that outperform it. Look at how many different time slots something like Bones has aired in and it still gets solid ratings. The problem isn't the time slot, it's that Fringe just isn't particularly popular. A show shouldn't need a cushy slot or massive lead-in support to get decent ratings in its third season.

dead souls said:
Maybe, but if you have to baby a show to keep the ratings healthy is it really worth keeping on your network?

Fringe has moved around a lot less than many other Fox shows that outperform it. Look at how many different time slots something like Bones has aired in and it still gets solid ratings. The problem isn't the time slot, it's that Fringe just isn't particularly popular. A show shouldn't need a cushy slot or massive lead-in support to get decent ratings in its third season.
Yet the ratings dropped big from season one to season 2 once it switched nights and went to the most competitive slot of the week.

ElRenoRaven

PhoncipleBone said:
Yet the ratings dropped big from season one to season 2 once it switched nights and went to the most competitive slot of the week.

That's the problem too. A show like Fringe you can't just watch midway through. I think what happened was it got moved and fox really didn't tell people. As a result they didn't keep up and by the time they found it they were lost to what was going on and when you can no longer follow a show then you tend to quit watching. So the move did hurt the show. It hurt it bad and sadly the show will never recover again. They could move it back to Tuesdays and it still would not recover. So yes Fox killed this show but not with the move to Fridays. They killed it long ago with the move from it's original day and time. Since then it's simply been a matter of time.

PhoncipleBone said:

Which shows that its ratings were being propped up by a less competitive time slot and lead-in help. If most of an audience won't follow a show to a new time slot than maybe they weren't really all that big of fans to begin with.

dead souls said:
Which shows that its ratings were being propped up by a less competitive time slot and lead-in help. If most of an audience won't follow a show to a new time slot than maybe they weren't really all that big of fans to begin with.
That or they were already committed to CSI or Grey's Anatomy which aired at the same time and pulled in some of the highest amount of viewers for the whole week.

I get your point, but shuffling anything around the schedule is usually never a good thing for any show. Very few shows survive it, no matter how well they are doing. At least with the move to Fridays they let people know, where the Thursday move was not as heavily advertised from what I can remember.

I did not see that ending coming.

How did I not see that coming?

I did not see it coming at all.

How is that possible?

It was total surprise.

How did that happen?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Jtwo said:
UM.
i think its because the show is almost entirely different than when it was first on. You had a really compelling villain in David Jones in the first season that was killed way before his time, imo. There were also entire plot lines completely dropped. Remember ZFT? A terrorist organization that operated in 83 countries just disappears without mention. There are other things just left dangling like that cylinder that was a big enough deal for the Observer to not only interact with people for but he needed Walters help to get.

Season 2 also has some serious missteps, imo, like the complete fumbling of David Jones mk.II aka Newton. If he was sent there by Secretary Bishop then why did he need pieces of Walters brain and interrogation to find out how to cross over when the other side seems to do it whenever they want? Newton then disappears for a huge stretch of episodes (my guess for a reworking of his character to tie him into the other side).

So far this season has been great but i can definitely see how someone would not like it. The show is very different now. i think the largest change was that the Mythology stuff used to be really cool with the MotW episodes being slightly weak (the best thing about S1 is how all these unrelated things tied into Jones and the shows mythology).. this season that has flipped, imo.

Cipherr

dead souls said:

So then, technically its impossible for a show being moved multiple nights over the course of its running to have any effect on its ratings right? I mean, because the fans will just watch it no matter where its moved too. Shit Saturdays and Sundays even. Move it wherever, if the fans REALLY like it, and its not being propped up the audience will follow it.

ivysaur12

Banned
water_wendi said:
i think its because the show is almost entirely different than when it was first on. You had a really compelling villain in David Jones in the first season that was killed way before his time, imo. There were also entire plot lines completely dropped. Remember ZFT? A terrorist organization that operated in 83 countries just disappears without mention. There are other things just left dangling like that cylinder that was a big enough deal for the Observer to not only interact with people for but he needed Walters help to get.

Season 2 also has some serious missteps, imo, like the complete fumbling of David Jones mk.II aka Newton. If he was sent there by Secretary Bishop then why did he need pieces of Walters brain and interrogation to find out how to cross over when the other side seems to do it whenever they want? Newton then disappears for a huge stretch of episodes (my guess for a reworking of his character to tie him into the other side).

So far this season has been great but i can definitely see how someone would not like it. The show is very different now. i think the largest change was that the Mythology stuff used to be really cool with the MotW episodes being slightly weak (the best thing about S1 is how all these unrelated things tied into Jones and the shows mythology).. this season that has flipped, imo.

I agree with you to a certain extent. Even though I *love* the way the show has evolved, a lot of potentially interesting plot lines have been shed, ZFT being the most egregious. I really hope that they're at least given a throwaway line, like "they were really just tools of the First People." Something like that, I don't know.

And while I can understand where dead souls comes from, I think calling the show dead right now isn't necessarily correct. Fringe will not be renewed if it continues to drop, or even stabilizes, but if it can rise to anything around a 1.6 or a 1.7, we'd definitely get a fourth season.

I also love Shawn Ryan, but The Chicago Code did not premiere well. There's now way that Fox premieres more than 4 1/2 new hours of programming next fall (it's almost half of their entire M-F schedule) so what do they do then? We shall see. The network really loves both shows creatively, more so than most of the other scripted programming they have.

dead souls said:

Here's where I'm going to disagree with you: Fringe fans did follow the show, but the show took a dramatic tonal shift during its second season. It became far less of the episodic, X-Files lite it was in the first season. That, combined with a far more competitive time slot, really chipped away at the show.

Purkake4

Banned
The Peter and the World Destroyer™ storyline has become more and more ridiculous.

I guess it's "all about the characters" once more...

ivysaur12 said:
I agree with you to a certain extent. Even though I *love* the way the show has evolved, a lot of potentially interesting plot lines have been shed, ZFT being the most egregious. I really hope that they're at least given a throwaway line, like "they were really just tools of the First People." Something like that, I don't know.

And while I can understand where dead souls comes from, I think calling the show dead right now isn't necessarily correct. Fringe will not be renewed if it continues to drop, or even stabilizes, but if it can rise to anything around a 1.6 or a 1.7, we'd definitely get a fourth season.

I also love Shawn Ryan, but The Chicago Code did not premiere well. There's now way that Fox premieres more than 4 1/2 new hours of programming next fall (it's almost half of their entire M-F schedule) so what do they do then? We shall see. The network really loves both shows creatively, more so than most of the other scripted programming they have.

Actually I don't think Fringe is dead and a renewal wouldn't surprise me all that much, though I do think that it would be the wrong decision for Fox to make. I do feel pretty confident in saying that, barring a miracle, Chicago Code is dead.

Here's where I'm going to disagree with you: Fringe fans did follow the show, but the show took a dramatic tonal shift during its second season. It became far less of the episodic, X-Files lite it was in the first season. That, combined with a far more competitive time slot, really chipped away at the show.

I don't really disagree with this, but it points to the show being the problem not Fox. There's nothing Fox can do if fans hate the tonal shift and abandon it. All Fox was looking for was a decent performer in a really competitive hour and Fringe failed. I'm not sure what else they could have done. They have to air something Thursday at 9.

Purkake4 said:
The Peter and the World Destroyer™ storyline has become more and more ridiculous.

I guess it's "all about the characters" once more...

For me it has reached a total soap opera level of ridiculous-ness.

Will Peter choose his first love, or her EVIL twin sister who is pregnant with his baby!?!
The fate of two universes hang in the balance!
The only solution is for him to love both of them equally! (*cough* threesome *cough*)

big ander

Rodney McKay said:
For me it has reached a total soap opera level of ridiculous-ness.

Will Peter choose his first love, or her EVIL twin sister who is pregnant with his baby!?!
The fate of two universes hang in the balance!
The only solution is for him to love both of them equally! (*cough* threesome *cough*)
It kind of makes sense though. Sam was oversimplifying it, but him loving one or the other sort of points to which universe he likes more overall. It's not which girl he loves more, it's which universe he loves more.

threenote

Banned
Jtwo said:
UM.
I loved this season until Olivia returned. I really can't stand it right now.

TheOMan said:

Looked like she was drinking white wine while he was drinking red and they just didn't have the same taste in wine.

Purkake4

Banned
big ander said:
It kind of makes sense though. Sam was oversimplifying it, but him loving one or the other sort of points to which universe he likes more overall. It's not which girl he loves more, it's which universe he loves more.
The problem is them making a giant prophecy out of it with the machine being only usable by our beloved emotionally unstable Peter who's love will determine the fate of two worlds. They could have been a lot more subtle about it and not hit the viewers over the head with it again and again.

Mashing

I wonder if the ratings dip is due to the content advertised in the previews (bugs crawling out of bodies is not appealing to the majority of the population). I love Fringe and even I was debating not watching this episode because of my fear of roaches. I want to see next week's #'s before I panic.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Beer Monkey said:
Looked like she was drinking white wine while he was drinking red and they just didn't have the same taste in wine.

I thought it was white wine too...but who drinks white wine with a lemon wedge in it??

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I wonder why Fauxlivia couldn't have just lied and said she'd been pregnant for a couple extra weeks than she really had been.

Zoe

DarthWoo said:
I wonder why Fauxlivia couldn't have just lied and said she'd been pregnant for a couple extra weeks than she really had been.

Wasn't he away for over 3 months?

mm04

Zoe said:
Wasn't he away for over 3 months?

I think it was just over 2. But even then, Frank was still willing to make it work. Until Fauxlivia couldn't answer the did she love the father question. She shoulda lied about that question!

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
DarthWoo said:

She would have to add a couple extra months to the claim for it to line up. He was already suspicious and that baby is popping out in nine months, he is going know something is up. Plus I think deep down she wanted to tell him, it's clear throughout the episode that she's struggling to bring him back into her life after falling in love with Peter, the pregnancy gave her an out.

.GqueB.

Banned
I dont really follow the behind the scenes aspect of Fringe but why is Fox burying this show? Was it not performing well for them? Im always confused by such things.

But IMO you should be thanking them. As shitty as fox can be, they do tend to do this when a show is at its strongest. Its rare for a show to remain strong pass a certain amount of seasons and Fringe is definitely at its peak right now. Its only going to begin getting shitty from here and you all know it.

This Love triangle thing is interesting but the way they are handling it is annoying. How many times are Olivia and Peter gonna talk about this shit? Whenever they have an moment alone I dread it because I know they are going to have one of those "Do you like me or not" conversations. And judging from the previews theyre gonna have yet ANOTHER one this week.

I say kill it now while its still amazing like they did Arrested Development and Family Guy (at first) and that other show everything likes. Firefly I think it is?

Hopefully, if it is canned, they wrap everything up. Serial shows like this should present their story and then end, no keeping it going for the sake of ratings and money. Tell a story and quit.

ivysaur12

Banned
heliosRAzi said:
Hopefully, if it is canned, they wrap everything up. Serial shows like this should present their story and then end, no keeping it going for the sake of ratings and money. Tell a story and quit.

The problem is that they have 8 episodes left, the majority of those have been shot and even more have been written (I'm sure that 21 and 22 are in the pipeline right now for the writers). What do you do here? If you think you're going to get canned, you hastily try to wrap up a multi-season arc in 2 episodes (hi Dollhouse). Or do you end on a way to continue the story?

They'll probably use a hybrid of both, but it's a really hard predicament to plan for.

ElRenoRaven

Well well well. The producers must be reading our minds. They talk about the new twist and the soapiness of Fringe right now.

http://www.tvline.com/2011/02/bo-no-latest-fringe-twist-will-not-unfold-in-a-traditional-way-say-producers/

If this paternity shocker at first blush appears a smidge soapy for a series as risk-taking as Fringe, rest assured that this ain’t no shopworn General Hospital storyline coming your way.

“We get to tell stories that maybe you understand as a viewer, and you’ve seen before” – but always with a twist, exec producer J.H. Wyman points out. “This is not the first time you’ve heard about somebody having an affair, which is always interesting drama. But it becomes a totally different thing when the person your loved one has fooled around with is another version of yourself!”

“In keeping with that,” Wyman continues, “this reveal will not unfold in a way that is traditional. So people should prepare for that, because it should be very interesting.”

Top Bottom