• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRINGE Season 3 |OT| Inexplicably renewed for a 4th season!

Solo

DoctorWho said:
Altivia seems to get around more. I say she's the better of the two. Hell, I expect it to be a plotline.

I beg to differ. Fauxlivia is more outwardly sexualized without a doubt, but look how little it took for Olivia to hop between the sheets ("I want to know how it feels"). Her plain, business attire, no frills day to day look is but a cover for the sex machine she is between closed doors. No wonder Peter is weaponized.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Solo said:
I beg to differ. Fauxlivia is more outwardly sexualized without a doubt, but look how little it took for Olivia to hop between the sheets ("I want to know how it feels"). Her plain, business attire, no frills day to day look is but a cover for the sex machine she is between closed doors. No wonder Peter is weaponized.
for reals.

a freak in the sheets.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Dr. Pangloss said:
So, it doesn't matter where she is. Could this happen all over again? Only thing I can think of is to kill her. Why hasn't Fringe division shut it down on other side. They probably have more authority to do it.

When we got to the scene with the cops surrounding the place on our side, I knew that there would be a flashover before the end of the episode, but I was expecting it to be a more grim flashover showing the building encased entirely in amber, with the camera then slowly moving through the amber to an encased husband inside the building in exactly the pose in which he was when he disappeared from our side. You'd think that with all the detection equipment they have Over There, they'd have detected the soft spots much earlier and the Fringe team would have been there at around the same time on both sides.

mm04

Solo said:

lol nice description, Solo. I just bought season 1 and 2 on blu-ray and Olivia was a freak with John Scott. She's pretty much been a cold fish, since. I guess she's been "activated", now.

Zoe

mm04 said:
lol nice description, Solo. I just bought season 1 and 2 on blu-ray and Olivia was a freak with John Scott. She's pretty much been a cold fish, since. I guess she's been "activated", now.

Don't forget the guy in Germany.

Consider me appeased for the moment. Next week omfgggggggg

I still can't help but think how much better this show would be with short seasons, though. I don't feel I'm being picky when I say they've been dragging their feet lately. It's just unavoidable to not retread a lot of stuff when you have such a ridiculous episode quota to fill. Even with last night's episode, the whole bit at the end with Olivia and Peter inside the building and Broyles and Walter going O GEE WHIZ WE'RE CUTTING THIS SO CLOSE did close to nothing for me having seen basically the same situation play out multiple times on this show

And I'm seriously disappointed that one of them didn't just shoot that crusty old lady. Not being facetious here. Half of Brooklyn vs a city block? How about a single geriatric shut-in?

mm04

water_wendi said:
Sad ending.

I agree. It sucked for that old guy because there was nobody there for him to tell him exactly what he was seeing, unlike the lady on our end. Even though they have more fringe events on the other side, they haven't necessarily told the public of the alternate universe.

OptimoPeach said:
And I'm seriously disappointed that one of them didn't just shoot that crusty old lady. Not being facetious here. Half of Brooklyn vs a city block? How about a single geriatric shut-in?
Why? Shooting her would be really out of character for all of the main characters, I think. If they brought in some other dude like in the episode where Peter is infected with that virus in the office building, maybe.

I was honestly half-expecting Walter to do the deed for obvious reasons. NO! I REFUSE TO BE WALTERNATE and so on. But I guess it seems like they're trying more for WE'RE REALLY NOT ALL THAT DIFFERENT, UNIFIED BY A MUTUAL DILEMMA, WE CAN BE FRIENDS, etc

edit: Then again, I dunno how the cosmic love triangle is going to play into that with the other Olivia being preggers and all

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
OptimoPeach said:
I was honestly half-expecting Walter to do the deed for obvious reasons. NO! I REFUSE TO BE WALTERNATE and so on. But I guess it seems like they're trying more for WE'RE REALLY NOT ALL THAT DIFFERENT, UNIFIED BY A MUTUAL DILEMMA, WE CAN BE FRIENDS, etc
Thats when we discover that the First People are the main antagonists of the series, manipulating both realities into a war so that they can wipe each other out. When the two realities and their civilizations are destroyed the First People can reclaim what is theirs.

ivysaur12

Banned
Some more ratings news:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/02/19/fringe-wins-with-younger-adults-age-18-34/83246

In our typical data stream we don’t usually see the adult 18-34 ratings for Friday nights — we usually see them only for Sunday-Thursday. But I saw last night’s 18-34 numbers and while Fringe was third in adults 18-49, it was tops for the hour in adults 18-34 among the English language broadcast networks with a 1.2 rating (Univision was #1 for the hour with a 1.4 rating).

That 1.2 might not seem like much, but it was 20% greater than its closest competition (several networks had a 1.0 adults 18-34 rating). Indeed among the English language broadcasters, it trailed only its Fox sibling Kitchen Nightmares (1.4 rating) for the entire night. Adults 18-34 are even more scarce than adults 35-49, and the harder it is for advertisers to reach a demographic, the more valued that demographic is by advertisers.

Make no mistake, those aren’t monster numbers. By comparison, last Sunday Family Guy had a 3.8 rating with adults 18-34 and on Tuesday Glee had a 4.5 adults 18-34 rating. At the small levels we’re talking it really isn’t anything for a Fringe fan to get excited about, especially since Fox knows that it actually can (and does) do better with cheaper unscripted programming.

We occasionally see blathering about how advertisers pay more for scripted programming. However, we’ve never seen any analysis that suggests that those premiums would offset even the ratings difference between an unscripted 1.7 adults 18-49 rating and a scripted 1.5 rating. And at those levels, you can be sure there is absolutely no chance any premiums offset the much higher production costs for scripted programming.

But it’s at least a feather in Fringe’s cap and at this point it needs all the feathers it can get.

not sure if its been posted but screen cap from last night. guy on far right.

rqzvv7.jpg

I just read a review of The Firefly and according to the comments, the Observer says to Peter something like "It must be hard to be a father". Now that Fauxlivia is pregnant, he probably foreshadows her pregnancy, which is pretty cool.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Solo said:
Do people not remember how the show started? It was her banging a co-worker in some shoddy motel off the side of the highway. She's not one to shy away from physical contact.

close to the edge said:
I just read a review of The Firefly and according to the comments, the Observer says to Peter something like "It must be hard to be a father". Now that Fauxlivia is pregnant, he probably foreshadows her pregnancy, which is pretty cool.

I remember making a post on here that I thought that was going to happen after that episode aired, but then thought I was reading too much into things.

My new prediction is that Fauxlivia's baby will go Womb Jumping between Faux/Ourliva, and will probably kill Faux off before we get to Season 4 (if we get there)

Future

They are draggin on the Peter and Real-livia thing too long. Every episode there are about 2-3 scenes that seem identical to something we've seen before. Olivia is sad, wants Peter but can't deal with it, Peter tryin to make her understand, blah blah blah. If I just tuned in about now I couldnt deal with this. Hopefully them getting it on will put an end to this shit...until of course Realivia finds out Fakelivia is pregnant and then the whining will begin anew

Other than that aspect I am diggin the show still.

Future said:
They are draggin on the Peter and Real-livia thing too long.

I don't think so. Ourlivia has only been back for six episode, and one of them was a "OverThere", so they have gone form unable to look at each other to putting the beef in the taco in about 5 episode

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Keyser Soze said:
I don't think so. Ourlivia has only been back for six episode, and one of them was a "OverThere", so they have gone form unable to look at each other to putting the beef in the taco in about 5 episode

I like that.

Come to think of it, I like you. We should have sex.

so does this mean that the universes are going to anihilate each other because Walter/Walternate won't give up Peter? And Peter is key because hes ultimately going to have to choose?

BoboBrazil said:
So Peter had sex with both versions of Olivia. I wonder if they both have sex the same way and if their pussy feels the same.
GDJustin had it right:
GDJustin said:
If him and Olivia do ever hook up he's probably going to be really disappointed, because BOlivia is probably way more wild in the sack. I bet regular Olivia just lays there :lol

big ander

I really liked this ep Friday night, but I'm not so sure about it a couple days later. It was still good, just not fantastic.

Next week could go either way. I'm a little nervous about it.

HeySeuss

I liked it but I'd already seen the story told by Futurama. Same concept just without the death.

Still though, another solid episode. Next week looks to continue the trend. Childhood episodes don't bother me at all.

.GqueB.

Banned
God Im getting tired of this Olivia/Peter crap. First its so obvious and annoying. I hate HATE HATTATATAEEEE proximity infatuations in movies and tv shows. Happens on pretty much every show. They work together and theyre both attractive so they have to eventually start fucking. It seems that every writer defaults to that.

BUT

What makes it more offensive here is the fact that every case is forced to relate to their shit.

"I want what these two old people have"
"He knew she wasnt his love just by looking at her and you couldnt I HATE you"

blahblahblah. Its so contrived. STOP MUCKING UP MY SHOW. I hope next week tries to explain this so I can stop hating it. Like their being together is keeping the very fabric of the universe together which is why Walter wants to badly for them to work. SOMEthing. What theyre doing now is just offensive. When the cases are actually being created around some sort of will they wont they storyline youre probably doing it wrong.

jax (old)

Banned
.GqueB. said:
God Im getting tired of this Olivia/Peter crap. First its so obvious and annoying. I hate HATE HATTATATAEEEE proximity infatuations in movies and tv shows. Happens on pretty much every show. They work together and theyre both attractive so they have to eventually start fucking. It seems that every writer defaults to that.

BUT

What makes it more offensive here is the fact that every case is forced to relate to their shit.

"I want what these two old people have"
"He knew she wasnt his love just by looking at her and you couldnt I HATE you"

blahblahblah. Its so contrived. STOP MUCKING UP MY SHOW. I hope next week tries to explain this so I can stop hating it. Like their being together is keeping the very fabric of the universe together which is why Walter wants to badly for them to work. SOMEthing. What theyre doing now is just offensive. When the cases are actually being created around some sort of will they wont they storyline youre probably doing it wrong.

Most people liked it. You don't. Its you.

Also valentine's day episode so I'm not surprised the theme is love/romance. It was great imo.

The Peter and Olivia relationship is better than almost any other relationship out there right now. It's been incredibly well developed and I'm very happy they aren't rushing it.

There are lot's of wonderful implications in their relationship that reflect heavily on the shows themes. Nearly every week they encounter other humans and beings that have to make difficult choices in their lives. Almost all of them are doing things because of emotional attachment. For every reason that should spread to our main characters.

This show is about what is the right thing to do. Even the bad guys are doing what they believe is right. They may have doubts about the means but they are trying to save lives, whether it be their own, their loved ones, or their world or all of the above.

Great drama complicates that matter and makes those decisions as hard as possible so it's compelling. If your watching Fringe and not thinking hard about the implications of these actions both for the show's development and philosophically then it isn't for you.

glaurung

*scratches head

Without going into too much spoilers here, I am curious how they will conclude the love triangle arc over there. Either they will go all happy-go-lucky like House did with its love-hate thing or some other direction.

I did however immensely enjoy the struggle that Walter had with considering the use of amber to plug the leak. In the end it will be moments like this that will keep me coming back to this series every now and then.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Did anybody else notice the following?

The people that fell off the balcony spelled Fringe when they were laing on the sidewalk.

Loved the name of the other apartment building "Schrodinger" a reference to Schrodinger's Cat.

Rosencrantz building - the absurd where probabilities don't make sense.

I think Walter is turning into Walternate, I hope I'm wrong!

Meier

I massively love this show but this week's episode was just not very good IMO. By far the worst in the last two seasons.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
TheOMan said:
Did anybody else notice the following?

The people that fell off the balcony spelled Fringe when they were laing on the sidewalk.

Loved the name of the other apartment building "Schrodinger" a reference to Schrodinger's Cat.

Rosencrantz building - the absurd where probabilities don't make sense.

I think Walter is turning into Walternate, I hope I'm wrong!

I actually think that before the brain surgery, Walter was worse than Walternate. Remember Walter's old lab assistant? I wonder if Walter really did kill her by taking an experiment too far.

wetwired

Did any one else notice how truly bad the old woman's acting was? It was really distracting in what was supposed to be a emotional scene.

wetwired said:
Did any one else notice how truly bad the old woman's acting was? It was really distracting in what was supposed to be a emotional scene.

I thought the scene was a bit off, but I was blaming Torv for underselling the scene

Top Bottom