• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRINGE Season 3 |OT| Inexplicably renewed for a 4th season!

Fatalah

TheOMan said:
Did anybody else notice the following?

The people that fell off the balcony spelled Fringe when they were laing on the sidewalk!
Episode314.jpg

Having trouble seeing it, some help?

Meier

InaudibleWhispa said:
I didn't like the old woman, she wasn't as sweet and charming as I'd like, but I don't think the actor was bad. The old man was far worse.
Neither of them were particularly good -- the old man was definitely the worse of the two. Arguably my biggest issue with the episode though was how quickly and conveniently they wrapped it up on other side. GTFO, that's now how they'd operate! Ugh, it was just bad.

wetwired said:
Did any one else notice how truly bad the old woman's acting was? It was really distracting in what was supposed to be a emotional scene.
I never noticed her acting because the old man's acting was so bad.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I'll see if I can play with it at home to make it more clear, but when I saw the show, the word FRINGE really jumped out at me from that scene. It's not really the corpses per se, but the environment itself I guess? I admit I could easily be seeing something that's not really there though.

The F is in the upper left corner, the R in bottom left, I is the space between corpse 2 and 3, N is space between corpse 3, the cloth, and corpse 4, the G is in the upper portion of the scene, made up of the cab door and the lady and the doorman (this one is a stretch), and the E is made up of the wooden stakes on the black cloth.

*shrugs*

Finally got to watch the newest episode. Another fantastic one. I like that the rifts are opening on our side now, because it means one thing:
BAD-BOYS.jpg

Shit just got real.

And DAMN to that preview for next week.

EDIT: Oh, and Walter's comment about "soul magnets." Bell has to come back after that comment.

iNvid02

i heard about fringe a while ago but left it because i decided to watch some other stuff, what a stupid decision. took me about a month to catch up and its pretty amazing.

the start was slow and i knew the monster-per-week thing had to stop, and when it did shit got real.

i heard fringe is one of the shows fighting to be renewed, i hope it's not a case of firefly because its become one of my fav shows.

ElRenoRaven

iNvidious01 said:
i heard about fringe a while ago but left it because i decided to watch some other stuff, what a stupid decision. took me about a month to catch up and its pretty amazing.

the start was slow and i knew the monster-per-week thing had to stop, and when it did shit got real.

i heard fringe is one of the shows fighting to be renewed, i hope it's not a case of firefly because its become one of my fav shows.

Well it won't be a case of Firefly because this is season 3. Firefily didn't get past season 1. lol.

PsychoRaven said:
Well it won't be a case of Firefly because this is season 3. Firefily didn't get past season 1. lol.
And Fringe is better anyways.

There were a lot of little things that went wrong with Fringe that is making it have to fight to stay alive now. The one thing it didn't mess up was the storytelling and having a passionate fanbase. The issue arose with the schedule shuffle between seasons.

ElRenoRaven

Yup it was the shift to Thursdays with very little advertisement. Then follow that with the move to the Friday Death slot and you have a recipe for killing a great show.

Critics love it. The fans love it. But the problem is that the show is too far gone in the rating department and too far off the deep end of the mythology and weirdness that it will NEVER recover. It can only hope to tread water from now on and maybe get enough of a blip in viewers to stay around.

It is sad really, because the show has done an amazing job of keeping a long mythology going while still being somewhat newbie friendly. They keep things mysterious enough, but answer things in a timely manner. They leave just enough crumbs to keep us coming back, but still give us a satisfying meal on a consistent basis.

ElRenoRaven

PhoncipleBone said:
Critics love it. The fans love it. But the problem is that the show is too far gone in the rating department and too far off the deep end of the mythology and weirdness that it will NEVER recover. It can only hope to tread water from now on and maybe get enough of a blip in viewers to stay around.

It is sad really, because the show has done an amazing job of keeping a long mythology going while still being somewhat newbie friendly. They keep things mysterious enough, but answer things in a timely manner. They leave just enough crumbs to keep us coming back, but still give us a satisfying meal on a consistent basis.

Pretty much. I think they could recover a decent little chunk if they moved it back to Tuesdays where it was originally. It wouldn't gain back all they lost but I think you could regularly see it above a 2.0 if they did.

PsychoRaven said:
Pretty much. I think they could recover a decent little chunk if they moved it back to Tuesdays where it was originally. It wouldn't gain back all they lost but I think you could regularly see it above a 2.0 if they did.
Only because of the carry over from Glee really. Even on Mondays as a follow up to House it could do better.

Zoe

PsychoRaven said:

That would never happen though unless they swap their Tuesday and Thursday nights.

ElRenoRaven

PhoncipleBone said:
Only because of the carry over from Glee really. Even on Mondays as a follow up to House it could do better.

I wouldn't say it would be because of them. I think a lot of fans just can't watch things on Fridays. I think more people are may be just watching it online now or DVRing it because well they want to go out on Friday nights. If it was back on Tuesdays I think they would watch it live.

Zoe said:
That would never happen though unless they swap their Tuesday and Thursday nights.

Oh it wouldn't happen anyway. First off Fox would never put their big shows over on Thursday and Fridays. Also despite what they say they've written it off. You don't move a show to Fridays unless you intend to kill it. Well if you are FOX that is. It never fails. They kill almost every damn show they put on Fridays. Occasionally one will beat the odds. It's then moved off of Fridays when it does.

PsychoRaven said:
I wouldn't say it would be because of them. I think a lot of fans just can't watch things on Fridays. I think more people are may be just watching it online now or DVRing it because well they want to go out on Friday nights. If it was back on Tuesdays I think they would watch it live.

Oh it wouldn't happen anyway. First off Fox would never put their big shows over on Thursday and Fridays. Also despite what they say they've written it off. You don't move a show to Fridays unless you intend to kill it. Well if you are FOX that is. It never fails. They kill almost every damn show they put on Fridays. Occasionally one will beat the odds. It's then moved off of Fridays when it does.
It was dead last season on Thursdays. It was a miracle we got a third season. The ratings dropped big, but at least stayed consistent with the initial big drop.

ElRenoRaven

PhoncipleBone said:
It was dead last season on Thursdays. It was a miracle we got a third season. The ratings dropped big, but at least stayed consistent with the initial big drop.

Yup. The lack of advertisement so hurt it. I never had a clue it was moving even. Course after the initial push before it premiered they never advertised it.

Also like I said that's why I think if it was moved back to Tuesdays you'd see them come back up some. If they moved it back to Thursdays you wouldn't see that jump. In my opinion Thursdays while not as bad as Fridays is still a bad night for shows. That's mainly because they have to go up against NBC's Thursday comedies, CBS's CSI, and other such shows.

PsychoRaven said:
Yup. The lack of advertisement so hurt it. I never had a clue it was moving even. Course after the initial push before it premiered they never advertised it.

Also like I said that's why I think if it was moved back to Tuesdays you'd see them come back up some. If they moved it back to Thursdays you wouldn't see that jump. In my opinion Thursdays while not as bad as Fridays is still a bad night for shows. That's mainly because they have to go up against NBC's Thursday comedies, CBS's CSI, and other such shows.
They are not quite the ratings powerhouses they were a decade or so ago. Only The Office pulls in big ratings of those. And they arent that big. CSI and Grey's Anatomy are the big boys at 9.

ElRenoRaven

PhoncipleBone said:
They are not quite the ratings powerhouses they were a decade or so ago. Only The Office pulls in big ratings of those. And they arent that big. CSI and Grey's Anatomy are the big boys at 9.

Ah see. That shows you how much I watch NBC anymore. Heroes was the last straw with me. They are almost as bad as fox at killing shows.

Heroes
Night Rider
Studio 60
Black Donnally's
My Name is Earl

Those were just the recent shows in the last two years canned by them That I liked. Two of those were taken off the air after only 2 weeks which is funny because one was brought in to replace the other. Through the years they've killed too many to count.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I don't think any moves would really help it all that much. It has what loyal viewers it has, and even with advertising and a move back to a better day, the average viewer is too dumb to catch up with a show that has had a continuous primary storyline. Maybe if they had a long string of MotW episodes to coincide with such a move it might help, but then that might annoy regular watchers. It seems to be the curse of serials.

bathala

Banned
hate my local Fox channel. (FU KHON 2). it goes back and forth between kitchen nightmare and shows non-hd version.

nice episode. would have been nice to see amber

oatmeal

Banned
Finally got around to watching The Firefly (was about to expire on Hulu in about 5 hours now)...

Great episode. I loved the Twin Peaks reference, it took a minute to get it.

I was like "Dr. Jacoby...why do I know that?" And then I saw the glasses, and I was like..."I think they're trying to reference..." Then Walter said Washington State and I was like "OH SHIT THEY ARE!!!"

Awesome reference.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
DoctorWho said:
Is this episode blurred and out of focus for anyone else.

Yeah, same for me.

Anybody else a bit annoyed with the way the kids are speaking the way no child has ever spoken in history? It's like this was written for full sized Peter and Olivia, and nobody bothered changing any dialogue once they went with the flashback.

ElRenoRaven

Yea at this point it indeed has to be intentional. I do agree that the child actors are pretty good.

Just had a thought. Could it be that we're seeing a memory someone is having or something? That would explain the fuzziness.

Top Bottom