• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRINGE Season 3 |OT| Inexplicably renewed for a 4th season!

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
KibblesBits said:
That's completely unethical.

Yes. That part of the drug test on a group of children with the intentions of giving them superpowers was completely unethical.

Walter's a damned mad scientist, unethical is par for the course.

Other Earth isn't so blurry.

Other Earth is Best Earth.

The two Earths on this show link so well with the two Earths shown in Doctor Who Series 2. Right down to the alternate Earth being more advanced and still having air ships. I dare say Walter caused the damage between universes that the Doctor eventually has to fix.

Edit: NVM it's still blurry.

They probably want the fuzziness to look like it has been played on a VHS tape over and over again, I dunno.

This has been a great episode so far.

Kind of sad that our Bishop was the bad guy. He stole a child that wasn't his because he was selfish and weak. And that Walternate has to pay the price. Good drama.

ElRenoRaven

Teh Hamburglar said:
Kind of sad that our Bishop was the bad guy. He stole a child that wasn't his because he was selfish and weak. And that Walternate has to pay the price. Good drama.

It really is. It's interesting to see their reversal of roles. I've kind of been wanting to see this for a long time.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Wait where's the scene where they both lose their memories.

I guess I can handle Olivia not remembering Peter, it was so long ago and she barely remembers any of her time there anyway. But Peter not remembering her? And in particular, not having any kind of "oh shit I was right all along" reaction when he finds out that he's from the other universe later in life? This episode was neat, but it sure seems like none of the episodes so far were filmed with this particular backstory having ever been conceptualized.

Zoe

Guess that explains why Olivia said her stepfather always beat her mom but not her.

Tathanen said:
But Peter not remembering her? And in particular, not having any kind of "oh shit I was right all along" reaction when he finds out that he's from the other universe later in life?

He's only 7-8 at that point. Not only is that stuff ancient history now (he didn't even remember being sick in season one), it seems like he let his "mother" convince him so that they could be happy.

TripOpt55

Damn... that was so awesome. Loved it. We got so many new details. That was crazy. Totally fell for her talking to Walternate. I had no idea until she turned around and our Walter walked back in or whatever. Nick Lane and the stepfather being in it. Man that was such a great episode.

As for the two weeks, I think they usually don't even air Fringe in March at all, so it could be worse.

Zoe

So... what does it mean that Walternate's called the Czar of Safety during what's supposed to be the Cold War?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Zoe said:
He's only 7-8 at that point. Not only is that stuff ancient history now (he didn't even remember being sick in season one), it seems like he let his "mother" convince him so that they could be happy.

Just feels a little bit like FF8 to me, if you catch my drift.

mm04

The episode was much better than I thought it would be. Those children actors did pretty good jobs. Probably the most surprising part. Olivia spilling the beans to Walternate was f'ing brilliant. Damn, this show. I hope to high hell that you dumbass Nielsen box people were watching tonight and pressing those buttons!

Cipherr

Fucking hell that was good. I LOVE the way walternate had literally no fucking idea where peter went until Olivia spilled the beans by accident. That was a fucking amazing exchange. Wow.

Snake

So good.

I tend to be weary of child actor-centric episodes, but I thought they performed admirably. And Walter Bishop is awesome in any universe.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
When olivia was talking to walter about her step dad hitting her, I was happy, Waiting for walter to lay the smack down and then all of a sudden he rocks up from behind asking what's going on.

HOLY SHIT BALLS. So good, I was not expecting that at all.

What an awesome awesome episode. We also saw the observer standing behind walternate as he went back to work :D

Nlroh

It was awesome.

The only weird thing is that this doesn't seem to be related with the recent storyline... well, and also the plot-hole-y part about Olivia not remembering Walter.

big ander

Fucking amazing episode.
The child actors for Peter and Olivia were spectacular. Especially the kid who played Peter. He actually did some very subtle stuff that I loved.
The betamax scene was fucking intense. We've always known just how far Walter went. Seeing it firsthand was still frightening.
I find it amazing that, with Walternate, Elizaltbeth, Elizabeth, and Walter, we have four really different characters that each share different traits with the others. It's such a wonderful way of showing the differences between the universes post-kidnapping without just having it be "and then Walter and Walternate were opposites of each other." The only person of the four who seems to have lost hope is Elizaltbeth. But Elizabeth is helpless just like Elizaltbeth. And so on. I mean, they have the same pairing done twice with tweaks and they both feel so real and amazing. Fucking love it.

big ander

Double post but whatevs:
*SPOILERS* preview for the next episode in 2 weeks: 3x16 "Os" Holy amazballs that looks good.
CASTING SPOILERS
Belly! Nimoy hinted at coming back and then confirmed it today, but I figured it meant he was shooting soon. Maybe it does, but I think there was a new shot of him in there!

Also, it is maybe convenient that Olivia and Peter seemed to have forgotten all of this. But both went through a lot of crazy stuff, and they seem to have blocked it out. That's not too abnormal.
Nlroh said:
It was awesome.

The only weird thing is that this doesn't seem to be related with the recent storyline... well, and also the plot-hole-y part about Olivia not remembering Walter.
How is this not related to the main storyline of Peter continuing to deal with his feelings for both universes as Walter and Walternate both pursue their goals? :p

Nlroh

I know, the main themes of this episode are very related to the storyline. It's just that the last time it was Walter telling Olivia about the kidnapping and everything else. This episode was the viewers watching a flashback because the writers wanted a flashback. I suppose they had a very specific reason for doing that.

Teh Hamburglar said:

That's not entirely true though. Walter kidnapped Peter because only he could save him. He always wanted to return him as soon as possible (maybe not only because it's the right thing to do, but because he fears what "he" is capable of, as mentioned in this episode).
Even the Cortexiphan tests on children exist due to him finding a more save way to cross to the other universe again.
However, it never came to it or him (and his wife) changed their mind and just kept him.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
WTF with the blur, can't stand it. I liked this episode a lot aside from the fucking blur, especially the ending.
Teh Hamburglar said:
Child Olivia is out acting Adult Olivia.
So true.

Nlroh said:
It was awesome.

And Peter not remembering Olivia, and Olivia not remembering Walter's son nor that she could cross to another universe in seasons 1 & 2, small (lol) plot holes but I love this show regardless.

ElRenoRaven

NaM said:
And Peter not remembering Olivia, and Olivia not remembering Walter's son nor that she could cross to another universe in seasons 1 & 2, small (lol) plot holes but I love this show regardless.

I don't think this is a plot hole. I honestly think there is more to it still. I'm thinking Walter and Bell may have somehow wiped their memories or at least repressed them.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
PsychoRaven said:
I don't think this is a plot hole. I honestly think there is more to it still. I'm thinking Walter and Bell may have somehow wiped their memories or at least repressed them.

We'll have to wait and see but yes let's hope they can explain it, I do hope they explain it.

PsychoRaven said:
Yeah, that's what I think too, because that would be more than a small plot hole imo.

Superb episode, only one thing slightly bothered me: the dialogue between young Peter and Olivia sounded a little too grown-up (I don't think children talk like that). The actress who plays Walter's wife is really good. I thought throughout the episode that she would commit suicide at the end of the episode but now that I think about it, that happened when Walter was already in the mental institution, right?

Sucks that the next episode is two weeks away. Oh well, at least they had a great episode before the break.

Just watched last week's episode.

Walter: "Quantum entanglement is a tricky business."

LOL

Oh, can someone remind me why was Walter in the institution in S1? I seem to remember someone saying he was placed there after the loss of a co-worker in a lab accident.

Zoe

Solideliquid said:
Oh, can someone remind me why was Walter in the institution in S1? I seem to remember someone saying he was placed there after the loss of a co-worker in a lab accident.

Killed in a fire in '91, so some years after what happened here.

ElRenoRaven

Solideliquid said:
Just watched last week's episode.

Walter: "Quantum entanglement is a tricky business."

LOL

He was placed there because there was an accident which killed a lab assistant and he was blamed. They apparently found him to be of unsound mind and locked him up in there for all those years.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Zoe said:
So... what does it mean that Walternate's called the Czar of Safety during what's supposed to be the Cold War?

Who says the USSR is their Cold War rival superpower?

Top Bottom