• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRINGE Season 3 |OT| Inexplicably renewed for a 4th season!

Ceebs

They could probably just explain away the lack of memory as children blocking out traumatic experiences. I know after that crazy fear experiment I would want to repress that shit.

mm04

Ratings stayed steady at 1.5. No growth, no decline. I was hoping for some sort of bump, but it looks like this is going to be something that we're going to be talking about until we get the final word on it in May.

ElRenoRaven

mm04 said:
Ratings stayed steady at 1.5. No growth, no decline. I was hoping for some sort of bump, but it looks like this is going to be something that we're going to be talking about until we get the final word on it in May.

Yea I had a feeling. At least it leveled out and didn't drop. Hopefully if we can maintain a 1.5 and not drop more it could by some miracle be picked up for a 4th season.

Jexemad

Ceebs said:
They could probably just explain away the lack of memory as children blocking out traumatic experiences. I know after that crazy fear experiment I would want to repress that shit.
Yes I was expecting them to mention why the kids don't remember any of this. Kind of disappointed they didn't.

megamerican

Jexemad said:
Nice ep. I was surprised by how good the child actors are, especially Peter.

Yeah, normally child actors trying to emulate characters I'm already familiar with seem very phoney to me. The young Peter was simply fantastic.

I would rank this as my favorite episode of the series. I had always liked the show, but after this episode I feel truly invested in the characters. Which is pretty ironic because it wasn't even the true primary cast.

CrankyJay

Banned
mm04 said:

What's going to attract new viewers at this point that hasn't attracted them before the move?

gdt

Great episode.

Kinda hard to believe that Peter and Olivia forgot all that though....

All Olivia would've had to do was remember her stepfather/mother...which would remind her of him hitting her...which would remind her that he stopped hitting her....which would remind her that Walter made him stop hitting her....which would remind her of Peter.

Montresor

I loved the "fringe sciences" listed during this episode's theme song. Most of them were just contemporary technologies of our day that would have seemed like magic back then.

I absolutely love the intro theme song.

mm04

CrankyJay said:
What's going to attract new viewers at this point that hasn't attracted them before the move?

That's really not the point I was trying to make. It's not attracting new viewers, it's getting the people who have Nielsen boxes and DVR the thing, to watch it live. The show has enough followers to get a renewal, but it needs these viewers to watch it live. Every week this show has a large Nielsen DVR following that bump up the overall viewership. It's just a shame that it gets watched later in the week instead of Friday night.

ivysaur12

Banned
Fantastic episode.

Still, it raises some questions of how Olivia doesn't remember... and how did they get the Cortexiphan into the children?

Yaweee

gdt5016 said:
Great episode.

Kinda hard to believe that Peter and Olivia forgot all that though....

All Olivia would've had to do was remember her stepfather/mother...which would remind her of him hitting her...which would remind her that he stopped hitting her....which would remind her that Walter made him stop hitting her....which would remind her of Peter.

something something Ben something something Sayid

Mindlog

We still don't know what traumatic event led to Walter removing part of his brain.

It is a certainty that whatever happened to Walter is also linked to the missing memories of Peter and Olivia.

The opening credits were ace.

Solo

Fantastic episode. I really loved how Walternate was completely unaware of the other universe and wasn't even exploring it as an option. The fact that he was so often shown in front of a mirror and yet still unable to piece it together was just so excellent. Made even better of course by the reveal of how he finally came to know of our side. The child actors were great, especially Olivia.

And I don't get the complaints at all of Peter and Olivia not remembering. Olivia and Walter was addressed in S1. As for Olivia not remembering Peter and vice-versa, lets think about that for a second. First, Peter was never identified to Olivia as Walter's son. Olivia sees Peter enter the room from behind soundproof glass, so as far as shes concerned, Peter is probably another one of Walter's test patients. Second, they spent an entirety of 5 minutes together. I don't know about you, but I don't recall meeting random people for a few moments from back when I was 8. This isn't a LOST scenario; its not like Peter shot Olivia and she forgot (lolz). No, rather two kids met briefly and forgot.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Solo said:
Fantastic episode. I really loved how Walternate was completely unaware of the other universe and wasn't even exploring it as an option. The fact that he was so often shown in front of a mirror and yet still unable to piece it together was just so excellent. Made even better of course by the reveal of how he finally came to know of our side. The child actors were great, especially Olivia.

And I don't get the complaints at all of Peter and Olivia not remembering. Olivia and Walter was addressed in S1. As for Olivia not remembering Peter and vice-versa, lets think about that for a second. First, Peter was never identified to Olivia as Walter's son. Olivia sees Peter enter the room from behind soundproof glass, so as far as shes concerned, Peter is probably another one of Walter's test patients. Second, they spent an entirety of 5 minutes together. I don't know about you, but I don't recall meeting random people for a few moments from back when I was 8. This isn't a LOST scenario; its not like Peter shot Olivia and she forgot (lolz). No, rather two kids met briefly and forgot.

I guess the situation was special enough at least for Olivia to remember Peter, c'mon Solo :p

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Earl Cazone said:
she forgot almost everything of her childhood. why would she rember random events with a boy
Don't you think that after the emotional response she had to the "joke" she had remembered her chat with Peter? And what's the excuse for Peter not remembering? I don't think it's a big deal but it will be nice to get a more direct response than they were just kids.

threenote

Banned
Awesome episode. However, this show will get cancelled. It's a shame, really.

I wish CW can get the rights to this show (if it gets cancelled), since Warner makes Supernatural.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I just realized, particularly from the previous 1985 episode, why has Walter never tried to rebuild his viewing window for peering into the other universe? It didn't seem like limited one-way contact through the window was causing any soft spots, so they could safely use it to gather intel. Since they know that the other universe's DoD is in the Statue of Liberty, they could set up a few windows there and try to gather Walternate's intents.

Watching the episode now. It's really not doing it for me. Its really just a bunch of moments that make me think "Wow those things were so close together a long time ago and just missed each other." I'm not getting why its so amazing...

brucewaynegretzky said:
Watching the episode now. It's really not doing it for me. Its really just a bunch of moments that make me think "Wow those things were so close together a long time ago and just missed each other." I'm not getting why its so amazing...
BAH!

And seeing the newest episode just reenforces my belief that Walternate, NOT Walter is responsible for most of the rips in the universe. Walter made the first tear, but Walternate became obsessed with crossing over to get Peter back he started making all the other tears.

HeySeuss

Teh Hamburglar said:
Kind of sad that our Bishop was the bad guy. He stole a child that wasn't his because he was selfish and weak. And that Walternate has to pay the price. Good drama.
It's funny because I said this last season in the thread here and got completely discredited and laughed at. I suggested that Walternate wasn't really evil, just a father willing to go to the ends of the Earth to get his son back.

Nice to see people are realizing this now.

The real people to blame are the Observers. They interrupted Walternet's experiment causing our Walter Bishop having to go over and fix the mistake. They said the event was important. Self fulfilling prophesy?

LQX

threenote said:
Awesome episode. However, this show will get cancelled. It's a shame, really.

I wish CW can get the rights to this show (if it gets cancelled), since Warner makes Supernatural.
I really wish some of you would stop jinxing the show before the season is even over. Hell wish some would even stop posting the ratings every week. Be optimistic damn it.

Snake

I've been watching under the assumption that Fringe won't get cancelled and we'll get an amazing season 4.

If I'm wrong I am totally unprepared for the level of disappointment. But I refuse to prepare for it.

Montresor said:
I loved the "fringe sciences" listed during this episode's theme song. Most of them were just contemporary technologies of our day that would have seemed like magic back then.

I absolutely love the intro theme song.

THIS. The opening cinematic was fantastic, down to the retro fonts they used.

I also got a kick out of the references to betamax. Still angry that the vastly inferior VHS won out that format war.

NaM said:
Don't you think that after the emotional response she had to the "joke" she had remembered her chat with Peter? And what's the excuse for Peter not remembering? I don't think it's a big deal but it will be nice to get a more direct response than they were just kids.

Why is that not a good enough response?

I barely remember anything from back when I was eight years old. I have some vague memories of my best friends that I had known for years already till I moved away, but some kid that I met for less than an hour, forget about it.

big ander

Dr. Pangloss said:
The real people to blame are the Observers. They interrupted Walternet's experiment causing our Walter Bishop having to go over and fix the mistake. They said the event was important. Self fulfilling prophesy?
That's a cool point. I'm hoping we get more observer focus near the end of this season.
Also, is a Walter-net anything like skynet? ^_^
Hokuten said:
I've been watching under the assumption that Fringe won't get cancelled and we'll get an amazing season 4.

If I'm wrong I am totally unprepared for the level of disappointment. But I refuse to prepare for it.
I've been this way too. I hope I don't get disappointed :(
Stephen Colbert said:
THIS. The opening cinematic was fantastic, down to the retro fonts they used.

I also got a kick out of the references to betamax. Still angry that the vastly inferior VHS won out that format war.
I love the opening sequence, but it seems like some were surprised by it. Everyone remembers it was in "Peter" too, right? As solo posted not long ago.

I've been watching the entire show over the last month and finally caught up on the latest episode. I'm completely hooked on this show. Walter is so awesome. <3 His character really elevates the show.

This weeks didn't come close to Peter, but it was still a wonderful episode in providing a bit more context to Walter's experiments and giving a greater insight into Walternate's perspective. The reveal that Olivia was speaking to Walternate was brilliant.

The only thing that's really bugging/confusing me is how Peter and Walternate crossed back over to the other side in the penultimate episode of season 2. Anyone able to explain this to me or is it a giant plothole?

Spotless Mind said:
I've been watching the entire show over the last month and finally caught up on the latest episode. I'm completely hooked on this show. Walter is so awesome. <3 His character really elevates the show.

This weeks didn't come close to Peter, but it was still a wonderful episode in providing a bit more context to Walter's experiments and giving a greater insight into Walternate's perspective. The reveal that Olivia was speaking to Walternate was brilliant.

The only thing that's really bugging/confusing me is how Peter and Walternate crossed back over to the other side in the penultimate episode of season 2. Anyone able to explain this to me or is it a giant plothole?
Specific location jumping. Just swapping two things between sides much like how Walternate jumped over in the first place.

Solo

Hokuten said:

How amazing will it be with 25% of the budget? :(
More than most shows, Fringe thrives on elaborate sets, special effects and location shooting. All three will suffer astronomically if FOX renews Fringe and slashes the budget.

I've been thinking lately and I believe that the best solution, since the writers didn't have time to wrap things up by the end of 3.22, is to have a 4-8 part finale miniseries.

Best thing for Fringe would be to go 16 episode seasons (like Lost did) for the however long more it exists. Doing so helps with budget, pacing, and Fox might give it a better slot to stop with the countless breaks

Montresor said:

Not really. That's clearly the effect they were going for, but the folks that made that intro didn't do their homework.

Here's a break down of the 11 items from the intro:

The following technologies from the intro already existed by 1985 and should not have been in a "Fringe" intro at all:
-Genetic engineering (1973 for bacteria, 1974 for mice)
-In vitro fertilization (1978 for humans)
-Stealth technology (1958. In particular, the SR-71 dated from 1964.)
-Personal computing (I can only imagine that the people who put this in the intro weren't even alive in 1985. PCs had been around for a decade and in particular the famous 1984 Mac superbowl ad had aired a year prior and the Apple II dated from 1977. I bet every GAFer born in 1980 or earlier had already used a PC by 1985. Personal computing in a 1985 Fringe intro fits as well as "MP3 player" would in the contemporary intro.)

The following technologies from the intro are still basically magic:
-Cold fusion. (I wonder if the Fringe writers didn't realize that the famous 1989 result was an error.)
-Nanotechnology (in terms of the concepts familiar from sci-fi that Drexler had popularized in the 1980s.)

The techs where there has been a big leap between 1985 and now break down into a few categories:

Currently common techs, were well understood in 1985:
-Laser surgery (well understood by 1980, first used on human eyes in 1989)
-DNA profiling (first used in a criminal context in 1986)

Some progress between 1985 and now:
-virtual reality (3d glasses and motion capture suits now exist, but are crude enough to be nowhere near the public perception of VR, and also basically don't exist at the consumer level.)

Vast progress between 1985 and 2011:
-(mammalian) cloning.
-invisibility-which doesn't exist yet as a practical technology but has a theoretical basis and may exist in five years.
-nanotechnology (in the non-sci-fi sense)

I'd say that these last three are the only ones that can in any sense be said to have moved from fringe science to reality.

Zoe said:
Not in the US.

It was used widely in the mainstream press during the Reagan administration for some specific positions, most notably "drug czar." e.g.
http://www.nytimes.com/1983/10/27/us/drug-czar-appended-to-senate-money-bill.html?scp=3&sq=reagan+czar&st=nyt

http://www.nytimes.com/1984/11/07/us/briefing-upstaging-the-bolsheviks.html?scp=5&sq=reagan+czar&st=nyt

It's usage in this Fringe was entirely in the same spirit.

However, I'm pretty sure the term was much more common in the '80s than it was during either Bush or Clinton administrations which is why so many thought that Obama had introduced tsarism to the US government.

leroy hacker said:
Not really. That's clearly the effect they were going for, but the folks that made that intro didn't do their homework.

The following technologies from the intro already existed by 1985 and should not have been in a "Fringe" intro at all:
-Personal computing (I can only imagine that the people who put this in the intro weren't even alive in 1985. PCs had been around for a decade and in particular the famous 1984 Mac superbowl ad had aired a year prior and the Apple II dated from 1977. I bet every GAFer born in 1980 or earlier had already used a PC by 1985. Personal computing in a 1985 Fringe intro fits as well as "MP3 player" would in the contemporary intro.)

-Cold fusion. (I wonder if the Fringe writers didn't realize that the famous 1989 result was an error.)
-Nanotechnology (in terms of the concepts familiar from sci-fi that Drexler had popularized in the 1980s.)

The techs where there has been a big leap between 1985 and now break down into a few categories:

-(mammalian) cloning.
-invisibility-which doesn't exist yet as a practical technology but has a theoretical basis and may exist in five years.

I'd say that these three are the only ones that can be reasonably said to have moved from fringe science to reality.

-virtual reality (3d glasses and motion capture suits now exist, but are crude enough to be nowhere near the public perception of VR, and also basically don't exist at the consumer level.)

Holy crap. Officer Buzzkill on the scene.

leroy hacker said:

-(mammalian) cloning.

I'd say that these three are the only ones that can be reasonably said to have moved from fringe science to reality.

the twist is that all of the things in the modern intro are as real in the fringe universe as those you listed were real in the 80s.

Top Bottom