• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRINGE Season 3 |OT| Inexplicably renewed for a 4th season!

Raistlin

I thought it was cool they pulled a Fringe and referenced the book were many of the themes, if even superficially, came from (Winter's Tale: Mark Helprin)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter's_Tale_(novel)

Summary:

New York City is subsumed in arctic winds, dark nights, and white lights, its life unfolds, for it is an extraordinary hive of the imagination, the greatest house ever built, and nothing exists that can check its vitality. One night in winter, Peter Lake—orphan and master-mechanic, attempts to rob a fortress-like mansion on the Upper West Side.

Though he thinks the house is empty, the daughter of the house is home. Thus begins the love between Peter Lake, a middle-aged Irish burglar, and Beverly Penn, a young girl who is dying.

Peter Lake, a simple, uneducated man who, because of a love which at first he does not fully understand, is driven to stop time and bring back the dead.

The title Winter's Tale is a reference to the similarly named Shakespeare play. In that play, as in this book, a major character disappears for years, only to return after a long and unexplained absence, unharmed, transformed, and redeemed.
Peter Lake. Epic wordplay lol

Averon

DoctorWho said:
Journeyman didn't even get a season. This show has been given a fair chance to succeed.

When I typed that, I was thinking about the crushing disappointment of cancellation. Fringe's cancellation is going to hit me hard.

If Fringe gets cancelled, then I guess Coffee Beans will be the thing to send en masse to Fox. Lamb chops wont survive transit :p

Coffee can also be donated to charity by Fox like CBS did with those Jericho Nuts

Keyser Soze said:
If Fringe gets cancelled, then I guess Coffee Beans will be the thing to send en masse to Fox. Lamb chops wont survive transit :p

Coffee can also be donated to charity by Fox like CBS did with those Jericho Nuts
Bah, strawberry milkshakes or bust. Just have a drive to go buy strawberry milkshakes from Baskin Robbins or some other major national chain on a certain day since the milkshake would go bad on the way to Fox.

Nlroh

Could someone explain me why are they saying that Fringe is likely to get canceled? I thought Jeff Pinkner said Fox was ok with a 1.3 or something like that.

Nlroh said:
Could someone explain me why are they saying that Fringe is likely to get canceled? I thought Jeff Pinkner said Fox was ok with a 1.3 or something like that.
They say that just so people wont freak the fuck out. But with ratings dropping hard, fans are in a panic. I will relax if they announce a renewal, and if they do I think they should plan on season 4 being the final season.

mm04

Nlroh said:
But... I want to have hope :(

In an article from that site last week, the author stated that their updated list would probably have Fringe downgraded, but that he personally believed it could go either way depending on a number of factors.

It all depends on how truthful the Fox exec was when saying that if Fringe could retain 80% of it's Thursday night viewership, then they'd be happy with that. It's right at that currently. I'm just hoping that it gets a renewal for 12 to 15 episodes to close out the series. It would be a huge disappointment to never find out how this story ends.

Nlroh

I never watch TV and Fringe is the first show I've watched in years. I always thought why should I be watching a tv series if I don't even know if its going to get cancelled suddenly because a time slot change, low ratings, or things like that ?? I hate unfinished stories.

To tell you the truth it's getting very depressing for me and I don't even remember why I started watching Fringe. But I don't regret any minute of this. Obviously every season has its lows and highs but overall it's been amazing.

Just to talk about something else, what do you think is going on with that creepy guy at the end of Entrada? The one who ended with one part of the machine. It's been a long time since we heard about him.

ivysaur12

Banned
Eaten By A Grue said:

Take TV By The Numbers with a grain of salt. They've built a model and are so sure of its success that anything outside of a strict adherence to Nielsen numbers is inconceivable to them.

Obviously Nielsen is the #1 factor that goes into a show's renewal, but there are other factors as well (I'm not talking about DVRs or online viewing, either). What is Fox going to put at Friday on 9pm that will get close to a 1.6? It's not going to be Bones, which will probably go after House because The Chicago Code isn't cutting it. And there is almost no way Fox will launch in the fall with more than X-Factor, Terra Nova and a new comedy (that's assuming that X-Factor is even three hours). If not, X-Factor, Terra Nova, most likely Exit Strategy and a new comedy will be there next fall. Fox cannot afford to risk more than half of its primetime programming from M-F. Is it going to be some cheap, unscripted program? No way. Not only has Fox failed to launch a successful reality program in recent years that doesn't star Gordon Ramsey, there's little chance that a program they put there would get nearly close to what Fringe is doing now. Sure, reality shows are much cheaper, but Fringe makes the WB a decent amount of money in DVD sales and international and they're not looking to lose that just yet (at least not before syndication... which is not that far off at 88 episodes). Don't be surprised if they strike a licensing deal and slash the budget to get a fourth season. Not to mention that every other article on TVBT is about Fringe in order to generate pageviews.

I'm also more optimistic about Harry's Law. No way NBC cancels Outlaw, Undercovers, Chase, Perfect Couples, Outsourced, The Event, The Cape, (possibly) Chuck and then Harry's Law. Is NBC *really* going to cancel 7 hours of programming and then have to order 7 new shows? Harry's Law brings ~10 million viewers to NBC affiliates every night who don't give two shits about the 18-49 demo and have had to deal with terrible lead ins on every night that doesn't have SVU. Not to mention that the cancellation bear might be the dumbest thing ever.

Maybe I'm just some optimistic fan. I don't know. But I really am sick of the way that TBTN handles things sometimes.

mm04 said:
In an article from that site last week, the author stated that their updated list would probably have Fringe downgraded, but that he personally believed it could go either way depending on a number of factors.

It all depends on how truthful the Fox exec was when saying that if Fringe could retain 80% of it's Thursday night viewership, then they'd be happy with that. It's right at that currently. I'm just hoping that it gets a renewal for 12 to 15 episodes to close out the series. It would be a huge disappointment to never find out how this story ends.

If Fringe gets picked up (and I honestly think it could go either way), it'll be for a 13 episode fourth season with an option for the back 9. It's also common practice to order an additional 5 episodes instead of 9 for struggling-but-we-have-nothing-else-to-put-there shows.

big ander

Zoe said:
zomg, courtesy of ONTD

317 pics (spoilers, of course)

I had to stare at the pictures for a while to figure out what the big deal was.
aslkja;lenr;lfjaoinel;kj
Wow. Wow. Finally.
Warning though, that's definitely a spoiler a lot of you aren't going to want to see.
But wow. :D

Solo

Zoe said:
Next episode is 316.

I know. 11 days until Fringe. Thats enough for me to not go looking at spoilers. Especially since we might be down to the final 7 episodes of the SERIES.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Solo said:
WTF happened to willpower? I shan't be looking.

Forget willpower, I've just flat never had the desire to look at spoilers. I don't get it! I spend time actively avoiding the things these people search out. Maybe I'm really from the other side.

Zoe

Apparently there are two things to see. In another picture,
he's on the very edge with an FBI badge on

I'm not really seeing what's so wow!-worthy about those pics, though maybe i'm not noticing what you guys are - apart from the obvious. It was kind of a foregone conclusion.
On Olivia - If she is channeling William Bell, i'm kind of interested to see if Torv can pull it off. I have my doubts...

PhoncipleBone said:
Specific location jumping. Just swapping two things between sides much like how Walternate jumped over in the first place.
I dunno, their crossing back over didn't really fit with what we've seen of the other sides use of it with Fauxlivia this season. Aren't they meant to be in a specific place and have those implants on themselves? Some of the rules of the traveling between worlds seem a bit inconsistent to me. Not enough to undermine the story, though.

Zoe

Spotless Mind said:
I'm not really seeing what's so wow!-worthy about those pics, though maybe i'm not noticing what you guys are - apart from the obvious.
If Olivia is channelling William Bell, i'm kind of interested to see if Torv can pull it off. I have my doubts...

It's cause
Lincoln's there

Decado

Just finished S3 ep 8. Is this a good break point until the series finishes or is there a better point within the next 1/2 dozen or so eps? Really like it, but I have other things to watch until this concludes.

Top Bottom