• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRINGE Season 3 |OT| Inexplicably renewed for a 4th season!

Peter is probably thinking "I slept with an old man?"

Great ending, but I cannot tell yet if I love or hate it. Awesome that he is back, but was wanting Nimoy himself somehow.

Another great episode. Perfect season record continues.

LQX said:
Such needless fluff. This episode did nothing to really progress the story until the very end.
You could say that about many episodes. Not everything has to be mega mythology all the time. Hell, very few episodes are all driving the main narrative forward.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Little does Peter know that he isn't the only person in the middle of it all, I think Olivia is as well and even her counterpart.

ivysaur12

Banned
Wow, that might have been the worst episode this season, up until the last ten minutes. I almost got up and left. The premise was silly and the concept (physics being changed) could have been done in a much more interesting, and quicker, way. The ending was boss, though.

Next week's would be cool, if Amanda Greystone wasn't in it.

Solo

Loved this one. Its so refreshing to be past the will they/won't they with Pete/Olivia. And just when I thought him withholding his work from her would come back later for relationship drama, they up and deal with it in this very episode. Big fucking props for that. Walter was a fine blend of hilarious and pitiable in this one, and I loved the parallels between the father/son MOTW and Walter/Peter.

My only gripe is that they need to be careful not to return to the "misunderstood scientist tries to develop serum/vaccine to save a loved one" MOTW well too often.

ivysaur12

Banned
Solo said:
Loved this one. Its so refreshing to be past the will they/won't they with Pete/Olivia. And just when I thought him withholding his work from her would come back later for relationship drama, they up and deal with it in this very episode. Big fucking props for that. Walter was a fine blend of hilarious and pitiable in this one, and I loved the parallels between the father/son MOTW and Walter/Peter.

I was *extremely* relieved by that.

ElRenoRaven

PhoncipleBone said:
Peter is probably thinking "I slept with an old man?"

Great ending, but I cannot tell yet if I love or hate it. Awesome that he is back, but was wanting Nimoy himself somehow.

Another great episode. Perfect season record continues.

Oh you know Nimoy will be back. There is no doubt about that. In fact they've teased it. So it's just a matter of time.

Solo said:
My only gripe is that they need to be careful not to return to the "misunderstood scientist tries to develop seru/vaccine to save a loved one" MOTW too often.

I do agree there. The misunderstood scientist bit has been a bit overused between this season and last season.

ivysaur12 said:
Wow, that might have been the worst episode this season, up until the last ten minutes. I almost got up and left. The premise was silly and the concept (physics being changed) could have been done in a much more interesting, and quicker, way. The ending was boss, though.

Not every episode has to be a lore building episode. In fact I like how Fringe does it. They'll have a couple or Lore building episodes then a couple of monster of the week episodes with a sprinkling of lore thrown in. I like that and think it works well.

Solo

PhoncipleBone said:

And you just know that the finale will be 2 of those eps. That, combined with this week's ending and next week's preview makes it pretty clear that we are ramping up for the finale as of next week.

Solo said:
And you just know that the finale will be 2 of those eps. That, combined with this week's ending and next week's preview makes it pretty clear that we are ramping up for the finale as of next week.
Hopefully not series finale. (crosses fingers)

TripOpt55

Good episode. The voice felt a little cheesy. Anyone know how they will schedule the last six episodes? Will there be a big break? By episode 16 in the first two seasons we were in April I think.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Damn that was awesome. I was expecting Bell to turn up in the flesh somewhere but coming through olivia was unexpected.

I love this show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That voice was hilarious.

And didn't they do the "scientist father fixing his son" thing in one of the previous seasons? It just all seems very familiar.

ivysaur12 said:
What?! Paula Malcomson is a fantastic actress. I'm assuming you haven't seen Deadwood or the second half of Caprica where Amanda Graystone became all kinds of awesome.

Spotless Mind said:
What?! Paula Malcomson is a fantastic actress. I'm assuming you haven't seen Deadwood or the second half of Caprica where Amanda Graystone became all kinds of awesome.
But in the first half, she was all kinds of stupid. Like very stupid. But I attribute that more to the writers than to her

DMczaf

What's the count on episodes about engineers/scientists who do experiments that kill people to save the person they love?

CajoleJuice said:
SOUL MAGNETS

I know right. Any other show could not possibly ever sell its viewers on such a concept, not even Lost. But I like it.

But Olivia shouldn't be trying to gussy up her voice to sound more like Leonard Nimoy would. It just sounds dumb.

Spotless Mind said:
She's also great in Sons of Anarchy.

mm04

Good episode. Damn you East Coasters for getting it 3 hours before me. Walter was great. He had me laughing out loud a few times tonight. It was also good to just establish that Peter and Olivia as a couple without dragging it out. It was also nice to see Olivia act like a real woman for once or since season 1. Short lived though, since she'll be acting like a DUDE next episode.

I agree that this MOTW in ways was similar to others, but in the end, it's basically promoting Walter's thought process from 2 episodes ago about the universe breaking and defying the laws of physics, the coin flip thing, and now the combining of 2 elements that shouldn't work.

big ander

Great episode.
The well of "scientist going to ends of the earth to save son/wife/brother/cousin/etc." is nearly dry from a MOTW standpoint. But I still enjoyed it here.
Don't understand people not liking the actual gravity-defying. It was cool as hell. And I loved that it didn't end with Walter going "I remembered this old case and that's how it was done". Having him realize that there isn't a conventional explanation, that the breakdown of the universe has really come this far, was cool.
Peter/Olivia handed excellently. I too enjoy that they aren't holding onto Peter's side projects to use later as stress on their relationship. I love that both actors really sell their happiness, and I love how happy Walter is.
Astrid needs more lovin'. More storylines dammit.
Walter's longing for Bell was sad and compelling. His return in Olivia is a cool idea and makes sense considering Bell's belief from the beginning that Olivia was so important. I just wish Torv hadn't done the voice like that. The pronunciation should have been Nimoy-esque, but doing an old man voice too seemed over-the-top.

End game folks. Let's do it.

- cereal Oliva
- I-just-had-sex Olivia
- Fauxlivia
- Olivia with Fauxlivia's memories
- Fauxlivia impersonating Olivia
- Bell inside of Olivia

I guess Torv has a lot of fun.

Pretty good episode, even though the motw was enormously predictable. Walter was the highlight, as usual. The gravity effects were very cool too.

I'm looking forward to seeing whether Torv can pull off the impersonation next episode. Should be interesting either way.

firehawk12 said:
And didn't they do the "scientist father fixing his son" thing in one of the previous seasons? It just all seems very familiar.

Well it obviously reflects the Walter and Peter relationship. I think now that Walter and Peter are on good terms they really like to remind us Walter is a mad scientist and fucked up the universe. I don't mind as long as it's well told, which I thought this week was. Also points to Fringe for bringing the gore. It's really well done.

Torv's Nimoy voice kind of sounds more like a Connery impression.

Epcott

Fourman said:
I thought the episode was decent. Olivia's "Bell voice" was really awkward, I am not sure how I feel about it.

I thought she was doing a Sean Connery impression.

I don't think I like where this is going. So, Anna Torv is playing yet another personal now?
Olivia, Altivia, and Bellivia??? Hmmm

Top Bottom